[WORKAROUND][Xposed for Android 5.1] Make ~99% of modules work.

Search This thread

xodeus

Mar 13, 2010
Fredericia
xodeus.dk
Why not just do an init.d script?

I belive that init.d is fired too early to get this to work as Android is creating new dex files after init.d is initiated.
I've created the script and put it in /etc/init.d and made the right permissions 0755 and everytime I reboot Android is upgrading 3 apps and I believe that those are the apps that got deleted their dex files. So everytime I look in /data/dalvik-cache/arm the dex files that should have been deleted are there.
But running the script from terminal actually deletes the dex files. So I'm sure that script is working, but too early.

Unfortunately I can't get SManager to work.

I've got SManager to run now and it seems that the dex files are deleted. I've toggled the Notification button, so I know that the script has been run.
_20150503_110338.JPG

Last edited:

jabarel

Sep 15, 2014
YouTube Background Playback works perfectly on my Android 5.1.1:

• YouTube v10.16.53
  • YouTube Background Playback v1.4.4

Thanks, OP, for the fix. :good:

How did you get to works this? i get all the time youtube stops i`m using cm12 from LA on my samsung s2 i delete that dex but nothing....it`s killing me

Btw on the market i see only de version 10.14.56 why?i installed 10.16.53 but same thing

---------- Post added at 12:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 AM ----------

Works youtube playing background :) on 5.1.1 need to go data/dalvik-cache/arm search for youtube and delete the dex files for youtube and youtube playing in background

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This has been fixed xda post
    Note: This is a temporary solution until someone fixes this in Xposed. Also I use my module "SnapColors" as a example throughout this post but this fix should for work any module. I've tested it with other modules and it works. If the module did not previously work on 5.0 then ignore this post and continue on with life.

TL;DR Version:
    I found a temporary solution of getting modules to work on 5.1 for modules that worked on 5.0 but don't work on 5.1.

Non-TL;DR Version: Backstory and how I found his temporary solution
    So a couple days ago I decided to start working on bring my module(s) to Xposed running on 5.1. In doing so what I noticed with a lot of the modules they seem to crash the app without throwing any kind of error whatsoever. Take for example one of my modules "SnapColors", if SnapColors was enabled in Xposed Installer SnapChat would always crash without throwing any error it wouldn't even say anything along the lines of "process has stopped unexpectedly" it would just close the app. So because of this behavior it led me to believe something was wrong with Xposed and not with my module(s). So I went thought what could be broken in Xposed thats causing this because 5.0 is just one up to 5.1 so the changes couldn't be that big. I went though the things that could cause this and came across "dalvik-cache" I remember reading somewhere Xposed makes some changes to the cache file (.dex) thats created during the creation of dalvik-cache files. So then I thought what if in 5.1 a small change was made to the process of making the dalvik cache files and thats what is causing the problem. So I decided to delete the dalvik cache file for SnapChat which is what my module was hooking into, then I tried opening SnapChat again but it crashed so I tried opening it again and what do you know it opened without any problems with my module fully working without any problems. The fix was kind of a guess too.

The fix/Solution
    Note: If you reboot your device you have to do the fix again. Also you are deleting the dalvik cache so you won't benefit from it any more for the app(s) you delete it for. Unless you reboot then everything gets reverted.
    What you have to do is delete the dalvik cache file for the app the module is for.
    Example: SnapColors a module for SnapChat, so we have to delete the dalvik cache file for SnapChat.

What you need:
    1) A file manager with root access, or terminal knowledge.
    2) Package name example for SnapChat its "com.snapchat.android". How to get the package name look below theres a how to.

Steps for deleting the cache file:
    Make sure the app is not running in the background close it if it is.
    Method 1) Via terminal command:
    Code:
    cd /data/dalvik-cache/arm/ && rm data@app@"package name here without the quotes"*
    Example command for SnapChat would be don't forget the "*" at the end:
    Code:
    cd /data/dalvik-cache/arm/ && rm data@app@com.snapchat.android*
    Method 2) Via file manager: Navigate to /data/dalvik-cache/arm/ look for a file starting with the name data@app@"package name here without the quotes".apk delete this file and thats it.

Now try and open the app if it doesn't work close the app then try opening it again. make sure that apps not running in the background before trying again.

Getting package name
    Via terminal command:
    Code:
    ls /data/data/ | grep "the app name here without quotes"
    Via app: Install https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.electricsheep.asi
    Open it-> Apps tab-> Tap the app-> look for "Package name:" should be the first thing.
    Temporary Automated Xposed Framework Fix for Lollipop 5.1

First of all, thank you @Programming4life for finding this fix. Like he said, this is temporary until they fix this in upcoming versions.

Instead of manually deleting the cache files on each boot I managed to find a way to automate the process. This won't work for all modules, but worth a shot if your module uses apps like Instagram (XInsta), Snapchat (SNAPPREFS) or Chrome (ChromePie).

Snapchat still crashes when trying to post anything but viewing/saving works.

What you need:
    1. Rooted phone
    2. Android Lollipop 5.1/5.1.x
    3. Names of the cache files to delete

Instagram:
    Code:
    data@app@com.instagram.android*
    Snapchat:
    Code:
    data@app@com.snapchat.android*
    Chrome:
    Code:
    data@app@com.android.chrome*

4. SManager - download here

How to automate:
    1. Open SManager and swipe until you get to the file manager
    2. Pick a location for your script files
    3. Tap the 3 dots on the top right or hit the menu button
    4. Select "New Script" then type in a name for it, hit ok
    5. "Open With..." pop up comes up, pick "SM Editor"
    6. Select all text and delete the content
    *Now we add our delete strings* (let's do Instagram)
    7. Paste this
    Code:
    cd /data/dalvik-cache/arm/ && rm data@app@com.instagram.android*
    8. Tap the 3 dots on the top right, save
    9. Go back to the file manager
    10. Tap/select your script
    11. Select "Boot" and "Su" then save
    12. Done!

Now whenever your phone boots, SManager will run your script deleting the cache files. Repeat for multiple apps. Let me know if this works for you guys.
    Great job figuring that out! I hope @romracer takes a look at it and releases an update with permanent fix
    :) Yup. I wish I could help but my knowledge of c++ is limited.
    XinternalSD Work on this method? i go download cm 12.1 today...
    No its a module that makes system changes.
    :) Yup. I wish I could help but my knowledge of c++ is limited.

Enough knowledge to help me out on twitter ALLLL the time! Lol