• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Working Google Talk With Video and Voice Chat Support {Skype Coming}

Search This thread

ballerx43

Jun 7, 2010
Los Angeles
Google Talk with Video and Voice Chat officially works on our phones. After hours of chatting with the Atrix devs, and tons of learning throughout the process, we got it done!

You Must Be Rooted!! If you are not, Go buy an HD dock and see this page:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1199098

Anything in BOLD is to tell you what you are going to be doing.
Anything in RED needs to be typed in.

Preliminary Steps:

1. Root your phone using the above link.

2. Delete Talk.apk from your phone

use Root explorer to navigate to /system/app/
locate the Talk.apk file
click "mount as R/W" in upper right corner
long-press Talk.apk and press delete

After you are rooted and have deleted the Talk.apk:

1. Download the necessary lib file

http://www.multiupload.com/3O8RT5EAT5
1.5 Download the Google Talk apk that supports video chat
http://www.multiupload.com/TN67C757KH

2. Open up and ADB Shell as root
adb shell
su

(You should now have a # instead of a $)

3. Remount /system partition as RW instead of RO

/bin/mount -o remount,rw /system
exit
exit

4. Push libtalk_jni.so to /sdcard/

adb push libtalk_jni.so /sdcard/

5. Copy libtalk_jni.so to /system/lib
cp /sdcard/libtalk_jni.so /system/lib/

6. Exit adb shell
exit
exit

You should now be back in your Android SDK folder.

7. Push Talk2.apk to /sdcard/
adb push Talk2.apk /sdcard/

8. Use Root Explorer to install the Talk2.apk

9. After installing, reboot phone and you should be good to go!

Thanks to: Eval-, Crnkoj, and a few others in the Atrix forums for the help on getting this to work!

Now that we all have root access (if you haven't rooted your phone, go buy a dock!), I think it'd be great if the devs could possibly work on getting Google Talk to support the video protocol. After all, we are running 2.3.4 so our version supports it. Also, I remember downloading a modified apk for the Skype app on my E3D and it allowed for video chat... anyway that can be done for us?

Edit: 8/3/2011

I'm currently working on the Google Talk app to get a version which will support our FFC... My phone isn't available for testing because it's a work phone and I need some people (with rooted photon's) to put their babies up to the test. Anything you do can simply be undone with a factory reset... I promise;)

UPDATE: Got the Apk to install that supports native video chat, but I get FC when trying to use the Video feature. Anyone with any sense of programming further than basic stuff willing to help out?

Last edited:

VDub2174

Jul 22, 2010
I was about to ask the same thing.

Also, where do I get a laptop dock so I can root? LOL

VDub2174

Jul 22, 2010
Not a laptop dock, it is the HD dock... go to the Sprint store closest to you and they should have them for $130 + tax. There's no restocking fee so you can return it:D

That's what I meant.....lol I forgot what thread I posted that in :p

I'm gonna have to check that out, thanks :)

nezb

Feb 2, 2010
I agree. I was very disappointed that I cannot talk to people using Google Voice & Video. Heck, I can't even voice chat! Only text.

I installed Fring which lets me do voice chat over Google Talk... but still no video.

What's the point of having a front-facing camera if there's barely any software that supports it?

ballerx43

Jun 7, 2010
Los Angeles
So my photon isn't available for testing because it's turned into a work phone but I had a theory as to how to get working Gtalk on our phones!

redhatter

Oct 12, 2006
Not a laptop dock, it is the HD dock... go to the Sprint store closest to you and they should have them for $130 + tax. There's no restocking fee so you can return it:D

I picked mine up at a Sprint store for $99 + tax then I got the car dock at $59 so the gave me 10% off for the pair ....(Im SERO so only get the 10% off)

If your a sprint premier customer you can get 25% off for the pair ... ($99 + $59 = $158 - 25% = 118.50 + tax)

Last edited:

sirscrubsalot

May 30, 2010
Any thoughts on why the feature was disabled in the first place? I thought this was the purpose of the FFC -

yungwunn911

Jun 30, 2010
I'm waiting to receive my photon. However, I'm so confused to the process.

Is ADB Shell a program?

Also, are we typing the instructions before the "title" of each step?

thanks and sorry for the ignorance...

ballerx43

Jun 7, 2010
Los Angeles
I'm waiting to receive my photon. However, I'm so confused to the process.

Is ADB Shell a program?

Also, are we typing the instructions before the "title" of each step?

thanks and sorry for the ignorance...

I don't blame you, did a quick write-up before leaving for the day i'll try to edit it tonight to make it easier to understand.

Sent from my MB855 using XDA App

e-motion

Jun 8, 2007
Worked great without using ADB, just moved both files to the locations in the instructions with ES Explorer in root mod.

Damn, that phone is getting better by the minute with all the developers' genius work. Thanks to all involved in making this device a true super phone.

ballerx43

Jun 7, 2010
Los Angeles
Worked great without using ADB, just moved both files to the locations in the instructions with ES Explorer in root mod.

Damn, that phone is getting better by the minute with all the developers' genius work. Thanks to all involved in making this device a true super phone.

That could potentially work, I just wrote the steps in a way that it will work for anyone and everyone.

mikeyinid

Sep 4, 2010
Boise
Does "talk 1.3 installer" in the market not work? It does the exact same thing and its an app. Way easier.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using XDA App

CyberCrist

Jun 18, 2008
Vancouver
Great write up! I thought I'd also mention, for those that don't want to root their phones (are there really people like this?), you can use Qik for video chat.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Google Talk with Video and Voice Chat officially works on our phones. After hours of chatting with the Atrix devs, and tons of learning throughout the process, we got it done!

You Must Be Rooted!! If you are not, Go buy an HD dock and see this page:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1199098

Anything in BOLD is to tell you what you are going to be doing.
    Anything in RED needs to be typed in.

Preliminary Steps:

1. Root your phone using the above link.

2. Delete Talk.apk from your phone

use Root explorer to navigate to /system/app/
    locate the Talk.apk file
    click "mount as R/W" in upper right corner
    long-press Talk.apk and press delete

After you are rooted and have deleted the Talk.apk:

1. Download the necessary lib file

http://www.multiupload.com/3O8RT5EAT5
    1.5 Download the Google Talk apk that supports video chat
    http://www.multiupload.com/TN67C757KH

2. Open up and ADB Shell as root
    adb shell
    su

(You should now have a # instead of a $)

3. Remount /system partition as RW instead of RO

/bin/mount -o remount,rw /system
    exit
    exit

4. Push libtalk_jni.so to /sdcard/

adb push libtalk_jni.so /sdcard/

5. Copy libtalk_jni.so to /system/lib
    cp /sdcard/libtalk_jni.so /system/lib/

6. Exit adb shell
    exit
    exit

You should now be back in your Android SDK folder.

7. Push Talk2.apk to /sdcard/
    adb push Talk2.apk /sdcard/

8. Use Root Explorer to install the Talk2.apk

9. After installing, reboot phone and you should be good to go!

Thanks to: Eval-, Crnkoj, and a few others in the Atrix forums for the help on getting this to work!

Now that we all have root access (if you haven't rooted your phone, go buy a dock!), I think it'd be great if the devs could possibly work on getting Google Talk to support the video protocol. After all, we are running 2.3.4 so our version supports it. Also, I remember downloading a modified apk for the Skype app on my E3D and it allowed for video chat... anyway that can be done for us?

Edit: 8/3/2011

I'm currently working on the Google Talk app to get a version which will support our FFC... My phone isn't available for testing because it's a work phone and I need some people (with rooted photon's) to put their babies up to the test. Anything you do can simply be undone with a factory reset... I promise;)

UPDATE: Got the Apk to install that supports native video chat, but I get FC when trying to use the Video feature. Anyone with any sense of programming further than basic stuff willing to help out?
    Has anyone tried vtok? I use it and it works fine in place of google talk.