• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Working Options for Unlimited Tetherting, Hotspot, Carrier Check Bypass Methods

Search This thread

drmad69

Jan 29, 2020
obersations

For about a year now, and I started initially with the ssh-server apps, I've been running several difference variations. A few issues, #1, udp doesn't work, rdate time.nist.gov is a workaround, also, torrents are crap without udp. Now, the other thing is, and I run dozens of boxes, and at least 50+ vm's a month that are gened no way i'm socking them, most of hp ran off socks for years, it can be done.). So, Redsocks and getting true udp to work is a nogo. Qtorrent, corrent torrentlib, will fix that. Now, if you: compile on a pie, or termux dante, you get a solid socks server that does udpassociate. pkg install dnsmasq, if (you want to run your phone as a client to your ap, as opposed to it being the ap, (both ways work, with phone-as-client-2-your-ap, you don't have to use their 42.129 usb, 43.1 wifi, 42.rndis presetup numbers. This did not solve the tagging issue routing backwards, but the second you walk in range, your network works say at home. Now, if you want to run redsocks on the phone, you do have to root it, I will say, that for 3-4 months, I just had redsocks on openwrt, in a similar setup to the dd-wrt suggestion, dd-wrt's build system6 gig of hell, makes that custom diffucult, but stealing binaries from same arch openwrt or cross compiled externally works. This allows any random devices to use tcp without changes, the tv, etc, etc. Metropcs's build have redsocks installed, with no config file, so if you put one in (rooted) redsocks: [LGE_DATA] trying to open configuration file, filename=OP MPCS_US config redsocks.conf.
it works, but compiling from source worked better as their build is hacked up a bit. (I still dunno why), you can also steal the binary from droid-something-or-other. the last piece there are some scripts, now I've make like 4 generations of them, but I'd say not quite for consumption yet. Also, i started with sshhelper because it starts on boot, i perfer both, so i never have to goto my phone. I'm still starting sshd termux on phone boot, but that's it. you need dnsmasq if you don't run tether. Now you have to have a small iptables scripts for redsocks. When i did phone2myap, which was the dandy 192.168.1.x network, it just client connects, but then it is the default gateway for the router. This tricks metro into thinking your using wifi, when in fact, it goes backwards, alas, without redsocks funneling the tcp to dante on the phone, it will get tagged, even when no tether. (I thought that was a bitchable complaint, i never turned on tether yet it counted data.) Also, I could get 50+ down frequently in that config. with the exception of different vendor horseshit in their builds, one can also compile hostapd and wpa_supplicant and sneak custom versions in, but, beware that's messy, because they speggetti and inti-role-your-own-android-router service/scripts. One reason I keep mucking around with it, is that there really should be a better way to do such things. Now, I did get openvpn to work, in that case I went to google-cloud-shell, more hops,etc, but even with a costom openvpn server, cause only client on play and such, on the phone, and then the router which IS right next to it, a vpn for basically a ptp connection, it didn't quite work, it's worth revisiting, most likely it's the 4-6 translation. Also, without tether on, you only get 192.0.0.4, that does work as outbound for redsocks, dante can run on wlan0 or v4-rmnet_data0. The mygod vpn app is good to have around as it can "plumb" to use the 30 year old solaris term, a interface and gui troubleshoot on/off tether. but under the hood it has the same limitations, for instance, as wonderfull as 1 uid a app is, is a pita, when using ssh-helper & tmux / with adb as they're all different uids. This is partially why the I haven't posted the scripts, because a elegant way of hanlding the /data horseshit is still polishing a turd. and no root, no redsocks.. and termux is lovely as it is can choke and confuse uid's with rooted apps under it, unless it fairly static and it warns of this.. With 5 gig, one can use udp, proper, minus any torrents, with tcp all going out the redsocks/socks clients and never go over 5 gig of regular udp traffic that goes with 200-300 gig a month of the tcp. Now, torrenting is a different matter. because metro hard cuts at limit, you can have the routing stop at phone enabling only the ap to use ping/etc for diag. I've only been surprised by torrent type apps. It's quite soliid, I have a sshfs mounted directories and stay for days or until i took the phone tata.. Oh, limited success with the full on sneak through their radar screen.. my script wipes tables, and it is likely in the ipv4 #, not being 192.0.0.4, as tag 0, so without hiding it inside v6 or doing full strip and reconstitute in tables/their route rules, it has it's own interface. Alas, without tether on at all, it's tagged, and fairly inter-mangle messy stuff still leaked, natted up. I use the 5 gig of data to play with it, I've seen reports of it working but not lately or on and metro/tmob and verizon are real similar. I don't get it, you eat the same bandwidth with a screen cast. But for me it's more of the challenge. The combo's probably worthwild to mash together and github, but it's not uber special, the biggest deal was the socks server croaking under load. 2 service scripts off and on stand and test for "echo" (rush pun), plops um. cept you loose sessions then. typically only if (after good dante), 1, phone gets slow and hot, (best ones were aritso and aristo2, i tried a new phone every few months (it was 15$ extra to get a new phone and i didnt care about new numbers, cause my calls get routed, I did try on 5+ phones and on metro anyway, all good.) the scheme works anyway, in the early 90's with socks4 I used it for hundreds of sun boxes pre nat and hp did it with thousands. And well, tor works, in fact, the onion app does most of this stuff, it's just torslow. laterhe onion app does most of this stuff, it's just torslow. later

Reactions: collin2010

collin2010

Dec 9, 2012
Google Pixel 4
For about a year now, and I started initially with the ssh-server apps, I've been running several difference variations. A few issues, #1, udp doesn't work, rdate time.nist.gov is a workaround, also, torrents are crap without udp. Now, the other thing is, and I run dozens of boxes, and at least 50+ vm's a month that are gened no way i'm socking them, most of hp ran off socks for years, it can be done.). So, Redsocks and getting true udp to work is a nogo. Qtorrent, corrent torrentlib, will fix that. Now, if you: compile on a pie, or termux dante, you get a solid socks server that does udpassociate. pkg install dnsmasq, if (you want to run your phone as a client to your ap, as opposed to it being the ap, (both ways work, with phone-as-client-2-your-ap, you don't have to use their 42.129 usb, 43.1 wifi, 42.rndis presetup numbers. This did not solve the tagging issue routing backwards, but the second you walk in range, your network works say at home. Now, if you want to run redsocks on the phone, you do have to root it, I will say, that for 3-4 months, I just had redsocks on openwrt, in a similar setup to the dd-wrt suggestion, dd-wrt's build system6 gig of hell, makes that custom diffucult, but stealing binaries from same arch openwrt or cross compiled externally works. This allows any random devices to use tcp without changes, the tv, etc, etc. Metropcs's build have redsocks installed, with no config file, so if you put one in (rooted) redsocks: [LGE_DATA] trying to open configuration file, filename=OP MPCS_US config redsocks.conf.
it works, but compiling from source worked better as their build is hacked up a bit. (I still dunno why), you can also steal the binary from droid-something-or-other. the last piece there are some scripts, now I've make like 4 generations of them, but I'd say not quite for consumption yet. Also, i started with sshhelper because it starts on boot, i perfer both, so i never have to goto my phone. I'm still starting sshd termux on phone boot, but that's it. you need dnsmasq if you don't run tether. Now you have to have a small iptables scripts for redsocks. When i did phone2myap, which was the dandy 192.168.1.x network, it just client connects, but then it is the default gateway for the router. This tricks metro into thinking your using wifi, when in fact, it goes backwards, alas, without redsocks funneling the tcp to dante on the phone, it will get tagged, even when no tether. (I thought that was a bitchable complaint, i never turned on tether yet it counted data.) Also, I could get 50+ down frequently in that config. with the exception of different vendor horseshit in their builds, one can also compile hostapd and wpa_supplicant and sneak custom versions in, but, beware that's messy, because they speggetti and inti-role-your-own-android-router service/scripts. One reason I keep mucking around with it, is that there really should be a better way to do such things. Now, I did get openvpn to work, in that case I went to google-cloud-shell, more hops,etc, but even with a costom openvpn server, cause only client on play and such, on the phone, and then the router which IS right next to it, a vpn for basically a ptp connection, it didn't quite work, it's worth revisiting, most likely it's the 4-6 translation. Also, without tether on, you only get 192.0.0.4, that does work as outbound for redsocks, dante can run on wlan0 or v4-rmnet_data0. The mygod vpn app is good to have around as it can "plumb" to use the 30 year old solaris term, a interface and gui troubleshoot on/off tether. but under the hood it has the same limitations, for instance, as wonderfull as 1 uid a app is, is a pita, when using ssh-helper & tmux / with adb as they're all different uids. This is partially why the I haven't posted the scripts, because a elegant way of hanlding the /data horseshit is still polishing a turd. and no root, no redsocks.. and termux is lovely as it is can choke and confuse uid's with rooted apps under it, unless it fairly static and it warns of this.. With 5 gig, one can use udp, proper, minus any torrents, with tcp all going out the redsocks/socks clients and never go over 5 gig of regular udp traffic that goes with 200-300 gig a month of the tcp. Now, torrenting is a different matter. because metro hard cuts at limit, you can have the routing stop at phone enabling only the ap to use ping/etc for diag. I've only been surprised by torrent type apps. It's quite soliid, I have a sshfs mounted directories and stay for days or until i took the phone tata.. Oh, limited success with the full on sneak through their radar screen.. my script wipes tables, and it is likely in the ipv4 #, not being 192.0.0.4, as tag 0, so without hiding it inside v6 or doing full strip and reconstitute in tables/their route rules, it has it's own interface. Alas, without tether on at all, it's tagged, and fairly inter-mangle messy stuff still leaked, natted up. I use the 5 gig of data to play with it, I've seen reports of it working but not lately or on and metro/tmob and verizon are real similar. I don't get it, you eat the same bandwidth with a screen cast. But for me it's more of the challenge. The combo's probably worthwild to mash together and github, but it's not uber special, the biggest deal was the socks server croaking under load. 2 service scripts off and on stand and test for "echo" (rush pun), plops um. cept you loose sessions then. typically only if (after good dante), 1, phone gets slow and hot, (best ones were aritso and aristo2, i tried a new phone every few months (it was 15$ extra to get a new phone and i didnt care about new numbers, cause my calls get routed, I did try on 5+ phones and on metro anyway, all good.) the scheme works anyway, in the early 90's with socks4 I used it for hundreds of sun boxes pre nat and hp did it with thousands. And well, tor works, in fact, the onion app does most of this stuff, it's just torslow. laterhe onion app does most of this stuff, it's just torslow. later

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I will give it a try. It will take me some time due to new to this.

horsecharles

Dec 14, 2010
NYC
Had any user tried this already and confirm that it works with metropcs?
Pdanet+ documentation details that only usb tether+hide tether usage works with metropcs. It took me a while to go around all of it, but I haven't tested due to I want to switch carriers to metropcs.

I've used paid version pdanet w\ hide tether [email protected] Metro for years, no issues. USB or WiFi Direct. Some months I've gotten to 80gb (on a plan that only permits 10gb). It has worked on Samsung, LG, ZTE & Alcatel phones for over a decade.
The only issue is that it times out occasionally in haphazard fashion- can go two days without dropping, or can drop coupla times in a day-even with very light usage that month.

I just ported out to Visible by Verizon ('cause it's only $25 for everything unlimited) and pdanet WiFi Direct does NOT work there (even though unlimited hotspot is included in phone plan, although with 1 device only limit).

I still have Metro account open with a $10 unlimited tablet plan (10gb hotspot allowance, full HD costs $30- the cheaper plan in practice streams @ 720p) and pdanet works there BUT disconnects constantly. Since the battery life is insanely good, I suspect Android Smart Manager (or Alcatel firmware's version) is causing this. I've whitelisted pdanet & FoxFi to no avail, i need help figuring out which system files to whitelist.
I recommend this tablet plan to everyone-($10 is so low i may add a second one) I added TextNow (for some reason Google Voice does not open when tablet sleeping) and it works just like a phone.
I'm trying to convert tablet to phone natively- just added all the relevant telephony apps from an Android 9 Alcatel phone (if from previous Android phones they simply don't install), but i need help figuring out which system settings to edit.

FYI AT&T Connected Car just reopened- $20+taxes. Unlimited everything- it's tailored to RV's & families traveling, so no limits or restrictions of any kind. Can insert that Sim into other hotspot devices. I take it with me everywhere I go- work, hotel, cabin, etc.

Good Luck.

Reactions: collin2010

collin2010

Dec 9, 2012
Google Pixel 4
I've used paid version pdanet w\ hide tether [email protected] Metro for years, no issues. USB or WiFi Direct. Some months I've gotten to 80gb (on a plan that only permits 10gb). It has worked on Samsung, LG, ZTE & Alcatel phones for over a decade.
The only issue is that it times out occasionally in haphazard fashion- can go two days without dropping, or can drop coupla times in a day-even with very light usage that month.

I just ported out to Visible by Verizon ('cause it's only $25 for everything unlimited) and pdanet WiFi Direct does NOT work there (even though unlimited hotspot is included in phone plan, although with 1 device only limit).

I still have Metro account open with a $10 unlimited tablet plan (10gb hotspot allowance, full HD costs $30- the cheaper plan in practice streams @ 720p) and pdanet works there BUT disconnects constantly. Since the battery life is insanely good, I suspect Android Smart Manager (or Alcatel firmware's version) is causing this. I've whitelisted pdanet & FoxFi to no avail, i need help figuring out which system files to whitelist.
I recommend this tablet plan to everyone-($10 is so low i may add a second one) I added TextNow (for some reason Google Voice does not open when tablet sleeping) and it works just like a phone.
I'm trying to convert tablet to phone natively- just added all the relevant telephony apps from an Android 9 Alcatel phone (if from previous Android phones they simply don't install), but i need help figuring out which system settings to edit.

FYI AT&T Connected Car just reopened- $20+taxes. Unlimited everything- it's tailored to RV's & families traveling, so no limits or restrictions of any kind. Can insert that Sim into other hotspot devices. I take it with me everywhere I go- work, hotel, cabin, etc.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the info. I have a pixel 4 w metro and haven't tried yet pdanet. I will definitely test it. I do appreciate working methods, but less complicated is worth the try.

Reactions: horsecharles

kenpet22

Jul 19, 2015
Hello All. Following is what I am trying to accomplish. Please let me know what is the best option to do that.

I have Pixel 3aXL running Android 10. I don't have any Hotspot plan/allocation. I run windscribe VPN on my android devices and windscribe extension in all my browsers (except IE) on my desktop. I want to use hotspot (of-course w/o detection) on this device so that I can get internet on a spare device in the car for Waze, etc. Occasionally, I use hotspot for my desktop if a website is blocking my VPN access. This way I don't expose my home IP info.

I want to be able to use my Pixel while it is running hotspot. That is, this hotspot should be running in the background. I want to be able to use my VPN as well while it is running hotspot. Also, if i want to use this hotspot for my desktop, I should be able to run my VPN browser extension. For example, if I use Netshare, I can't really set my proxy for the browser since the VPN extension is using that. Hence, in such a case, I may not be able to use this hotspot.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

kenpet22

Jul 19, 2015
I have two Devices A and B connected via Wi-Fi direct. On device A, i have a proxy server running. I want to share my internet connection with device B. When i scan wifi on device B, I see SSID with the name of the remembered group on device A. I try to connect and it is asking me for the password. Where is this password info located? Device A is running Android 10. Thx

Chiz419

Mar 9, 2020
I've done this for ever and it's not going to be restricted to who you have but it will 100 percent get around any data throttling.
Download Termux app and install openssh-server on it. Go ahead and hotspot your phone, then run ifconfig inside Termux to get your current tethering local IP. It will be the only 192. spit out when you run ifconfig. Save this. Run sshd -dD inside Termux which starts an openssh server waiting to be connected to in debug mode to audit traffic. Now pop onto a PC or router you can SSH into, whatever and connect it to your hotspot from your phone. Now SSH tunnel all the traffic from the device back through the openssh server your running on the Termux app. Now that you are on the same local network you can SSH tunnel into that IP address you saved earlier. As long as you make sure all your traffic passes through the tunnel it 100 percent shows that all your internet is being used by Termux app not your hotspot app so you need no other spoofing of hops or anything because to your phone and carrier you are just using a bunch of data in termux, you do it right you will never be throttled I've used 150GB data multiple times.

Step by step > https://github.com/RiFi2k/unlimited-tethering

any chance I can get you to give me a hand setting this up using OpenSSH via the command line in windows 10?

MetroWestMA

Apr 7, 2018
A pretty easy method if you are rooted which allows you to use the standard tethering is to use open source VPN Hotspot + a TTL editor (or in rooted termux you could set TTL there). I do this with TMobile all the time.

alvion401

Jul 29, 2020
A pretty easy method if you are rooted which allows you to use the standard tethering is to use open source VPN Hotspot + a TTL editor (or in rooted termux you could set TTL there). I do this with TMobile all the time.

Im using a NOTE 5 with T-mobile, can you explain your method a bit deepr please, I would like to try it.

Jed0819

Jul 30, 2019
So I just want to throw my hat into the ring here with the free and most simple method that I have found so far, granted I have only gotten it to work for USB tethering. All I had to use was 3C All in One Toolbox, and a VPN, I went with 1.1.1.1 because it's free and from a trusted company. All I had to do was go to the network manager section in 3C-->VPN Tether-->Turn on 1.1.1.1-->Turn on USB Tethering-->Turn on forwarding-->and then turn tethering off then back on again. I'm not claiming this hasn't already been done through other apps and services, but this is what I have found to work for me. I have Cricket unlimited core so I was limited to 128kb/s on hotspot which is basically impossible to use.

May 1, 2017
Williams, AZ
Calling all Vincent Van Bro's,

anyone know what may have happened here? I'm on Straight Talk with an ATT sim. I've been using the Android "tether_dun_required - 0" and "tether_entitlement_check_state - 0" hack for years and then when that no longer worked I added the Windows (10) TTL hack for the past couple years with total success. I got a new Acer Aspire 5 laptop a week ago and did the TTL hack on it immediately but after 5 days and using up my 20 GB hotspot Straight Talk somehow detected and cut off my huevos. I've been racking up 60 to over 150 GB a month on my hotspot for the past couple years with the Windows TTL hack and no issue but as soon as I get this new Acer Aspire 5 I get my pp wacked.

Anyone have any ideas of what may have happened?

I've been off planet the past few years so I didn't know about the "NetShare-no-root-tethering" App (WiFi-Direct) which is a totally Bro-llissimo App, and it works perfect for surfing, downloading and steaming. Don't know how long this will last without detection but if it gets me to my next auto-refill and hotspot reset I'll be happy. I'll probably now use my Hotspot for regular surfing and some minor DL but use the NetShare App for the more serious stuff.

Update: I just realized I was using a Verizon sim the past couple years with Straight Talk and last week switched over to an ATT sim because their signal is stronger and more consistent where I live. So I'm wondering if the Windows TTL hack doesn't or no longer works with ATT. Maybe that's it?

Last edited:

MindTrix

Sep 15, 2014
Pacific Northwest
Bypass With Termux

I've done this for ever and it's not going to be restricted to who you have but it will 100 percent get around any data throttling.
Download Termux app and install openssh-server on it. Go ahead and hotspot your phone, then run ifconfig inside Termux to get your current tethering local IP. It will be the only 192. spit out when you run ifconfig. Save this. Run sshd -dD inside Termux which starts an openssh server waiting to be connected to in debug mode to audit traffic. Now pop onto a PC or router you can SSH into, whatever and connect it to your hotspot from your phone. Now SSH tunnel all the traffic from the device back through the openssh server your running on the Termux app. Now that you are on the same local network you can SSH tunnel into that IP address you saved earlier. As long as you make sure all your traffic passes through the tunnel it 100 percent shows that all your internet is being used by Termux app not your hotspot app so you need no other spoofing of hops or anything because to your phone and carrier you are just using a bunch of data in termux, you do it right you will never be throttled I've used 150GB data multiple times.

After reading the whole thread its confusing that people go off into another scenario and make it sound like you need to run Linux and have a VPN you route the phone through... but what your saying is different....

To make things more fun is to make a video doing all the steps on the phone you need to make to get your tunnel up and running.

I am writing each step down in order but get very different results on my phone.... unless someone is an terminal guru and understands commands and knows linux inside and out because they developed the android OS... nobody on the learning side of this can make the instructions work...

So maybe a video, a tutorial on how to make this work would help the people learning on how to tweak there phones.. back in the day of rooting the moto z everyone had step by step easy to understand instructions which led to videos on how to root... now everyone says I got it to work... try a b c d e h I m n o t v y z... leaving out the steps to understand how the steps work...

This is great stuff here... now I wonder if I can find a video on this...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Bypass With Termux

Some research into bypassing T-mobile’s tether restrictions reveals there are several things carriers can do to detect hotspot usage and block those packets:

-is hotspot data sent through a second anp?
    -does carrier mark the packets coming through the wlan interface?
    -do they filter by user agent strings?
    -do they view the ttl?
    -do they block urls that phones do not use?
    -do they have a monitoring app pre-installed? (ex delete com.tmobile.pr via titanium backup)

Getting around these restrictions while using the native hotspot functionality requires work-arounds that I did not go far enough to successfully implement. One cannot by default edit the APNs for instance. I had to set up a duplicate, but theorize T-mobile was still routing to the hotspot APN I could not edit. With root access (which I have) it should be possible to achieve success, but I have found satisfactory non-root ways of achieving unlimited internet with MetroPCs (owned by T-mobile). I have, however, compiled a number of resources and may look back into what hacks must be used on the native app in the future. If anyone has a good guide on how you're getting hotspot with the Nougat LG V10 please post!

It stands to reason that one must use a non-native application to disguise the tether usage, or significantly modify the native one. After stalling with the mods, I pursued the non-native of attack and found (2) independent working ways to get unlimited tethered internet.

Wifi Tethering apps

I tried various wifi tether apps and without additional modifications or configuration I could not get them to work including:

-native hotspot (which works despite not having a hotspot plan, but t-mobile blocks)
    -Wifi tether router by Fabio Grasso ($2.90) (requires root access)--(t-mobile was blocking the connection)—in discussion with developer on how to get working, will update. UPDATE: After back and forth with dev, he recommended using a VPN. His app does route the VPN through the hotspot connection if that feature is toggled. I have not tested. Potentially, changing the TTL of the computer may do something.
    -Open Garden Wifi Tether—crashed when attempting to start service

Wifi Direct apps:

Wifi apps such as NetShare (red-themed play store entry is completely free, several paid versions) which use the native wifi direct functionality create a proxy server through which you can connect to via wifi. These DO WORK without additional modifications, but most native desktop apps on your computer cannot access the internet. All websites will load however. You have to set up your internet connection as through a proxy server on the client side but do not need to install additional software. A GOOD OPTION TO HAVE. I have found that one sometimes may need to stop and start the service to get it to give you internet access. The way I do it is start then quickly bring up the wifi menu, computer recognizes the network and connects quickly. If there is too much of a delay between starting and connecting via the client Netshare(Pro) doesn’t seem to work without a quick disable/enable afterwards.

USB tethering apps:

Rely on the phone’s native USB debugging feature in the hidden developer tools menu. (Go to about phone, software info, and tap on build repeatedly until enabled.) NO ROOT required. I tested Easy Tether ($9.99) and ClockWorkMod Tether ($4.99). Both worked well. PDAnet+ may also fall into this category but I have not researched. THIS IS MY PREFERRED METHOD so far. It is also possible to USB tether to certain types of wifi routers and thus get wifi for the home.

-There are PC, Mac, or Linux applications and drivers which must be installed on the computer side.
    -Must have USB debugging enabled, and USB options set to Photo Transfer (Media Transfer does not work, and why I originally failed with ClockWorkMod…otherwise probably would have not pursued root!)
    -These USB tether apps have the benefit of reducing the heat generated by your phone (no wifi signal generation), so runs cooler (think chips last longer) and uses less energy than when you have wifi hotspot enabled. For this reason, and for the phone being so handy when connected to my laptop, I actually prefer this method. Plus you have access to the pictures and DICM folders of internal storage so you can transfer stuff to the phone fairly immediately. To get full access, however, you’ll have to switch to MTTP mode, which on LG phones such as this V10 will break the internet connection. Other phones may not have this particular issue.

Bluetooth Tether apps:

Easy Tether and probably PDAnet+ support Bluetooth tether. With easy tether I wouldn’t suspect any issues at all using this.

Potential other methods WHICH SEEMED PROMISING, I sorted through a lot! For your inspiration:

-One youtuber mentioned using a desktop hospot application + PDAnet+ to get legit wifi hotspot functionality. The desktop PDAnet+ application apparently disguises the tethering operation. Video here: https://youtu.be/D98abWOkkQI

-Exposed framework and tether for rooted devices (did not try): https://highonandroid.com/android-a...n-rooted-android-att-t-mobile-sprint-verizon/
    -Claims you’ll be able to tether any rooted android with this rooted wifi app and particular settings (similar to wifi tether router) https://highonandroid.com/android-a...android-smartphone-or-tablet-universal-guide/ (UPDATE: I tried, app is not compatible with the phone)

See comments section of this article for the below quotes: https://www.groovypost.com/howto/hide-data-usage-get-truly-unlimited-tethering-tmobile-one/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    “The main issue I see people having is the lack of apn editing. This has been my setup for four years now
    -Dd-wrt with iptables to edit the ttl value to 65 -Change TTL on windows PC to 65 so that it appears data is coming from the phone. (41 in hex = 65 in dec) https://social.technet.microsoft.co...o-live-ttl-in-windows?forum=w7itpronetworking
    -Changed apn of hotspot to match the apn of normal mobile date. Doesn’t matter if you use fast.xxxx.com or alpha/beta BUT YOU CANT USE THE ORIGINAL HOTSPOT APN it’ll say mobile web or some ****. If you do you will be routed through their hotspot server and tracked. I’ve done this on iOS and android.
    -FOR THE FOLKS THAT SAY THE VPN DOESNT WORK. Once again you MUST change the apn AND you have to make sure that your traffic is actually being routed through the VPN, in my experience on both android and iOS hotspot traffic bypass your phones VPN, and VPN on the router/computer traveling through the phone can be tracked if the phone isn’t the one using the VPN, to make it force traffic through the VPN I had to use the for data option in the tether me app on iOS. These things all work if you do it properly.”--Wifi tether router does have this VPN routing function but I have not tested.

"My COMBO works for me on T-Mobile unlimited.
    Nexus 5x – rooted 6.01 with “settings put global tether_dun_required 0”
    PLUS
    Asus n31u router (w/ net.ipv4.ip_default_ttl = 65, bridge mod)
    Works for Window 7 desktop and laptop, chromebook, and tablets. All about 80 Gigs last month”

“The TTLstands for “time to live” it is a counter on the data you send for its maximum hop count, or the number of devices it can travel through, for ever device it goes down by one, windows has a default TTL of 128, while Android has one of 64, if you change the TTL for windows to 65 when it gets to the phone the TTL will go down by one makeing it equal 64 the same as the phone. There are more adwanced way to do this so you can run a whole network off this by using a router with either DD-wrt, Tomatos or open-wrt or a dedicated pc running either pfsense, linux, or freebsd to act as a router and mangle the TTl on the fly, the benefits of this is it gets ALL of the data(windows seem to miss a small amount arohnd 5%) and its possible to edit the User agent in ways that dont mess up websites with squid and just appending the device.”
    This is amazing. How do I use my Windows PC to connect to the openSSH server to create the traffic tunnel? Also, how do I force my Windows 10 traffic through the tunnel?

I am guessing with Putty and then setup SSH proxy in a browser to force traffic? Won't that only allow browser based traffic through the tunnel and not all traffic from the Windows computer?

So I am an everyday linux user and for me personally I use sshuttle to route everything back through the tunnel because it already handles the TCP over TCP problem because the guy that wrote it is a boss. This here explains that.

If I was on windows I would go with their vagrant solution because then you get the benefit of sshuttle and all your responsible for is making sure all traffic goes through the VM. Also you could use something like proxycap and putty works as well although I guess it's slow people have said.

Browser traffic can be handled with SOCKS proxies.

I feel like it's a pretty great solution overall and can benefit some people so I started a repo and I'll fully document how it works, I'm just too tired tonight so keep an eye out https://github.com/RiFi2k/unlimited-tethering and I'll step by step linux and windows for everyone as much as possible, plus if anyone else has scripts and whatnot feel free to contribute.
    TTL 65 didn't work on my computers, but 85 and 99 did. So don't be afraid to try different things.

However, the phone should be able to modify the TTL before it forwards the packet. How is there not an app that does this, or is there a setting or hack we can do to make it change the TTL as it passes through the phone?

edit: have searched more and learned some apps do, but they don't work on my phone. Not sure why.

This is amazing. How do I use my Windows PC to connect to the openSSH server to create the traffic tunnel? Also, how do I force my Windows 10 traffic through the tunnel?

I am guessing with Putty and then setup SSH proxy in a browser to force traffic? Won't that only allow browser based traffic through the tunnel and not all traffic from the Windows computer?