• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Working REAL(!) 3g / 4g USB Modem-Sticks on PX5/PX3 Units

Search This thread

stale86

Mar 18, 2019
Fyi folks just managed to get zte mf833v working with xtrons gs px5 Oreo with actual 4g, NOT RNDIS ethernet (see attached pic)

The way I did it was to place the modem into non-usb mode so that it shows up as a cdc-gsm device.
1: download DC unlocker on your windows pc (this is to get the modem to show up as a COM port)
2: plug your modem into PC and launch DC unlocker as administrator. Select zte modem from the list and leave the rest of the fields on the default auto select. Hit search
3: open up device manager on your PC and look for ports and you should see two COM porta for your zte modem each with a number next to them. Take note of the number next to the one that DOESN'T say diagnostic on it.
4: download PuTy or any other terminal program of your choosing. Connect to the aforementioned COM port using serial connect and if it works well you should see a command line window where if you type AT and hit enter you will get OK as a response
5: type AT+ZDCDRUN=8 and hit enter to place the modem into non-usb mode. If it goes well you should get a message saying updated modem mode or something similar.

Unplug your modem and put it aside for now.

6: if you are using an xtrons unit you need two more things. First you'll need the right MCU as the factory shipped MCU does NOT support cellular network. I've attached the one I'm using to this..make sure you update. Second is you'll need a network settings app to actually enter your APN settings. You can find one on the play store but you won't be able to enter APN settings until you plug in the modem

7: plug your modem In ONLY WHEN YOUVE DONE EVERYTHING ABOVE.
If all goes well it should now allow you to edit your APN. Enter it and hit save then restart your tablet.

8: profit

I've done some testing with this setup and it takes on average about 20 seconds from start for the tablet to have 4g internet. I toyed around with keeping the modem on a permanently powered usb port but have not been able to keep the connection stable.

Driving around the tablet keeps data signal and switches between cell towers seamlessly.

I do notice that if I turn my car on and off multiple times in succession that can cause the tablet to no longer see the modem. A simple USB reset when that happens does the trick.

Thank you for the info, did you know if that method also working on Android 9 ?

Psvdimension

Mar 23, 2021
Aaah that's normal.. you will need to install the usb modem driver after that happens..
DO you have the driver?
I have same problem after trying connect by DC my modem dosent work. In device manager see only USB AT and USB LOG. I cant found drivers. Do you maybe have its? I check on few pcs and same drivers needed 😐 before softer start automatic now nothing. Someone help?

Last edited:

dape16

Jun 20, 2006
Also can confirm that the ZTE MF833V works on my stock firmware Audi A4 Xtrons HU (IB80A4AL Android 10/MTCE). Just needed to run the AT command through DC Unlocker and set connection mode to manual in the web ui. Interestingly, I didn't even need to use an APN app, plugged it in and it detected and connected to T-mobile immediately. Using one of my free TMo voice lines (y)

Does the head unit keep the connection to the mobile network while it's in standby? Like a phone. 🙂
Or is it a delay before the connection is available?

m0nk89

Jun 10, 2008
Does the head unit keep the connection to the mobile network while it's in standby? Like a phone. 🙂
Or is it a delay before the connection is available?

There's around a 10-15 second delay for the USB stick to power on again every time i start the car. The xtrons unit i have is pretty much instant on, so i just have to wait to use the LTE. i tried actually hardwiring it so that the usb stick doesn't turn off when the car shuts off, but i found that it did not reliably reconnect when the headunit turned back on.

Apollon2

Mar 20, 2021
ZTE MF833V Confirmed!

Yep I can very much confirm that the mf833v works on T-mobile . I got the custmized version from amazon which should also work on AT&T (and i believe verizon also? - don't take my word for it).
Search amazon for https://www.amazon.com/ZTE-MF833V-C...child=1&keywords=mf833v&qid=1605635946&sr=8-1

Just follow te instruction by using AT command : AT+ZCDRUN=8 .
If you are not getting internet then, you need to first disable "auto connect" ) on the web interface (192.168.0.1) on windows/Mac before running the AT command.
You can reverse the setting to work on windows again by running command (directly on dc-unlocker command line):
AT+ZCDRUN=9,
AT+ZCDRUN=F,
This will put it back in CD Mode.
IF you don't have a the driver, let me know. Cheers.

Image attacked taken running on my 'idoing' PX6 android 10 stereo.
What exactly is so special about the customized version. I can‘t find such a version in Germany, only „normal“ unlocked versions at around 50€. Theres also an unlocked version at aliexpress for 25 €. Would these work as well?
Thanks
Alex

update:
Ok the only one I could find is not the MF833V but the MF833T, which seems to fit european LTE-bands. Any experience with that?

update2: I‘m confused. There‘s also a MF833U1 available...

Last edited:

Sorensonn

Feb 22, 2009
Tried Huawei e3372h-320 in my PX6 unit with Hal9k mod, but not working. It is detected, showing strong signal, but connection cannot be established. I couldn't switch it from cd/windows mode.

Sorensonn

Feb 22, 2009
ZTE MF833V - I also confirm that it works after AT command sent via Putty. LTE connection is only about ~20Mbit (upload/download), but for a car it's more than enough.

Apollon2

Mar 20, 2021
I haven‘t had luck with my MF833U1.

I was able to put it to modem mode with dc-unlocker and finally install modem drivers for windows (which I had to do manually). I am also able to connect with putty and it accepts the „AT“, „ATZ“ and „AT&F“ commands. but on the „AT+ZCDRUN=8“ command (and similar commands) it shows an error. When I plug it to my car in that mode it doesn‘t recognize it, even no luck with ppp widget3.

In „normal“ mode it works as ethernet device with and without ppp widget3.

I need to amend, that I have a TIM-Firmware version (TIM is an italian provider). Maybe that is the problem. However, I couldn‘t find a neutral one.

Any suggestions?

update:
I‘m quite desperate. I am willing to buy a working stick but I can‘t finde one. I cannot use the MF833V cause it lacks lte bands 7 and 20, which are necessary in Germany. I even ordered an Huawei E8372h-155 but got an -820 delivered which I also cannot switch. 3372-155 is nowhere available. I don’t want to order something in china again just to wait weeks to get something else delivered... That sucks. (Sorry)

Last edited:

Elchango1

Jun 17, 2021
I haven‘t had luck with my MF833U1.

I was able to put it to modem mode with dc-unlocker and finally install modem drivers for windows (which I had to do manually). I am also able to connect with putty and it accepts the „AT“, „ATZ“ and „AT&F“ commands. but on the „AT+ZCDRUN=8“ command (and similar commands) it shows an error. When I plug it to my car in that mode it doesn‘t recognize it, even no luck with ppp widget3.

In „normal“ mode it works as ethernet device with and without ppp widget3.

I need to amend, that I have a TIM-Firmware version (TIM is an italian provider). Maybe that is the problem. However, I couldn‘t find a neutral one.

Any suggestions?

update:
I‘m quite desperate. I am willing to buy a working stick but I can‘t finde one. I cannot use the MF833V cause it lacks lte bands 7 and 20, which are necessary in Germany. I even ordered an Huawei E8372h-155 but got an -820 delivered which I also cannot switch. 3372-155 is nowhere available. I don’t want to order something in china again just to wait weeks to get something else delivered... That sucks. (Sorry)
try "AT+ZDRUN=8 or AT+CDRUN=8" one of those cant remember which one but worked for me

Reactions: Apollon2

Elchango1

Jun 17, 2021
I've been looking into the the specs for all devices mentioned in this thread and they are all for European bands and specifically not suitable for T-Mobile US 3G bands (1700/2100 band 4).

Is anyone here using a dongle that is verified to work on T-Mobile in the US? Preferably one that is seen by Android as a mobile data device (not hilink emulated).

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
im using zte mf833v with tmobile sim and it works fine it even displays LTE like a phone does and my head unit

ojuniour

Feb 5, 2010
New Jersey
I've a vendor who is now selling compatible 4g LTE modem which supports Verizon and T-mobile (and probably T-mobile affiliate networks too).
It works on MTCE devices (idoing devices at the very least)..

I'll post the amazon link shortly.

mozz093

Sep 17, 2012
Dakar
Hi there,
No luck for me, I bought the ZTE MF833V on Amazon. I plugged the device for the first time, it worked fine. Before I could install the drivers, the CD mode deappeared and never came back. So I found on this thread a drivers package that I installed. The ZTE software sees the device, it's connected to LTE with a blue light on the stick, but the connect button is grey, I don't have internet with this stick.
DC unlocker detects the devices, but with Putty, nothing. When I type 192.168.0.1, nothing happens too (it worked at the first try, after that nothing).

I'm wondering if I have a faulty device or if it's a config issue. Do you have any ideas? I searched for drivers on internet but I didn't see anything serious

DC unlocker log:
Code:
DC - Unlocker 2 Client 1.00.1436

Detecting modem :

selection :
manufacturer - ZTE modems
model - Auto detect (recommended)

Found Applications port COM5
Found Diagnostics port COM4

Found modem         : MF833V
Model               : ZTE MF833V
IMEI                : 8630990xxxxxxxx
Firmware            : BD_MF833VV1.0.1B04
Compile date / time : Aug 20 2020 21:03:59
Chipset             : Qualcomm
NAND Flash          : W71NW20GF3FW
SIM Lock status     : unlocked

===================================================================

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

ojuniour

Feb 5, 2010
New Jersey
Hi there,
No luck for me, I bought the ZTE MF833V on Amazon. I plugged the device for the first time, it worked fine. Before I could install the drivers, the CD mode deappeared and never came back. So I found on this thread a drivers package that I installed. The ZTE software sees the device, it's connected to LTE with a blue light on the stick, but the connect button is grey, I don't have internet with this stick.
DC unlocker detects the devices, but with Putty, nothing. When I type 192.168.0.1, nothing happens too (it worked at the first try, after that nothing).

I'm wondering if I have a faulty device or if it's a config issue. Do you have any ideas? I searched for drivers on internet but I didn't see anything serious

DC unlocker log:
Code:
DC - Unlocker 2 Client 1.00.1436

Detecting modem :

selection :
manufacturer - ZTE modems
model - Auto detect (recommended)

Found Applications port COM5
Found Diagnostics port COM4

Found modem         : MF833V
Model               : ZTE MF833V
IMEI                : 8630990xxxxxxxx
Firmware            : BD_MF833VV1.0.1B04
Compile date / time : Aug 20 2020 21:03:59
Chipset             : Qualcomm
NAND Flash          : W71NW20GF3FW
SIM Lock status     : unlocked

===================================================================

View attachment 5351131

did you follow my instructions?

scrilla

May 18, 2007
Looking for a little help on the ZTE MF833V on IB80A4AL. Are the settings applied via DC unlocker supposed to be:

Autorun disabled via AT+ZCDRUN=8
&
Download mode enabled via AT+ZCDRUN=E

?

When I push those changes to the modem, I end up with just a solid blue light, the /_| icon in the top bar of my android 10, but no indication of connection to LTE, like it should if it were flashing blue. Have I missed a step somewhere?

Thanks

eNubiX

Dec 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Looking for a little help on the ZTE MF833V on IB80A4AL. Are the settings applied via DC unlocker supposed to be:

Autorun disabled via AT+ZCDRUN=8
&
Download mode enabled via AT+ZCDRUN=E

?

When I push those changes to the modem, I end up with just a solid blue light, the /_| icon in the top bar of my android 10, but no indication of connection to LTE, like it should if it were flashing blue. Have I missed a step somewhere?

Thanks
Mine is doing the same thing... I believe that the solid blue light may be the final result in order for the Android headunit to read it. Is anyone else experiencing the same results? I would love to take advantage of the 4G LTE vs 4G.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE 17th sep 2019: PROJECT CLOSED, see post #147 .

Okay,

we´ve got many threads about "3g/4g" USB-sticks für Car Androids powerd by PX3/PX5.

BUT: most posts describe WiFi-Sticks and Sticks recognized as ethernet connection or ´WiFi-Hotspot Crap´ devices.....

i think we need a thread for WORKING REAL MODEMS (detected as mobil-connection) on this devices.....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so! here the first modem i found that 100% worked as a MODEM:

as 3G:
    Huawei E173u-1 (fully working w/o loosing connection, be sure to run Firmware 11.126.85.00.209; up- or downgrade!!!)
    Huawei E173u-2 (fully working w/o loosing connection, be sure to run Firmware 11.126.85.00.209; up- or downgrade!!!)

(Huawei E173S-1 WILL NOT WORKING!)

tested on PX5 with Malaysk 3.2 (oreo)

Firmware 11.126.85.00.209 for E173:
    https://download.myusbmodem.com/home/Huawei Firmwares/E173/E173Update_11.126.85.00.209_B427.zip

flash code generator:
    https://huaweiunlockcalculator.com/huawei-flash-code

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

today (14th March 19) i can confirm:

also working with 3g:
    HUAWEI K3772 - HSPA USB Stick

note:

- working with ALL PX5 Android Systems (Stock Marshmallow, Malaysk Marshmallow, Stock Oreo, Malaysk Oreo, hal9k Oreo)
    - no problems with handover or switching between 3g/2g
    - perfect working surf-stick

Pictures of the Stick (wtf... IMG bbcode doesn´t work :confused: )
    pictures.net-freaks.com:1073/user112718ef/2019/xda/20190314_2.jpg
    pictures.net-freaks.com:1073/user112718ef/2019/xda/20190314_1.jpg

today (15th March 19) i can confirm:

also working with 3g:
    HUAWEI E3131s-1 3G Surfstick in ´Modem-Mode´ <recommended Device for ´Oreo´

note:

- working with ALL PX5 Oreo Android Systems (Stock Oreo, Malaysk Oreo, hal9k Oreo) > NOT working on any Marshmallow (only signal strength shown, no 3G connection)
    - no problems with handover or switching between 3g/2g
    - perfect working surf-stick
    - has the BEST RADIO LINK with PERFECT SPEED-RATE of all tested devices (til today; 15th March ´19)
    - has connection for an external antenna (CRC-9 jack) > great

Pictures of the Stick (wtf... IMG bbcode doesn´t work :confused: )
    pictures.net-freaks.com:1073/user112718ef/2019/xda/20190315_1.jpg
    pictures.net-freaks.com:1073/user112718ef/2019/xda/20190315_2.jpg
    pictures.net-freaks.com:1073/user112718ef/2019/xda/20190315_3.jpg
    pictures.net-freaks.com:1073/user112718ef/2019/xda/20190315_4.jpg

/chris
    Fyi folks just managed to get zte mf833v working with xtrons gs px5 Oreo with actual 4g, NOT RNDIS ethernet (see attached pic)

The way I did it was to place the modem into non-usb mode so that it shows up as a cdc-gsm device.
    1: download DC unlocker on your windows pc (this is to get the modem to show up as a COM port)
    2: plug your modem into PC and launch DC unlocker as administrator. Select zte modem from the list and leave the rest of the fields on the default auto select. Hit search
    3: open up device manager on your PC and look for ports and you should see two COM porta for your zte modem each with a number next to them. Take note of the number next to the one that DOESN'T say diagnostic on it.
    4: download PuTy or any other terminal program of your choosing. Connect to the aforementioned COM port using serial connect and if it works well you should see a command line window where if you type AT and hit enter you will get OK as a response
    5: type AT+ZDCDRUN=8 and hit enter to place the modem into non-usb mode. If it goes well you should get a message saying updated modem mode or something similar.

Unplug your modem and put it aside for now.

6: if you are using an xtrons unit you need two more things. First you'll need the right MCU as the factory shipped MCU does NOT support cellular network. I've attached the one I'm using to this..make sure you update. Second is you'll need a network settings app to actually enter your APN settings. You can find one on the play store but you won't be able to enter APN settings until you plug in the modem

7: plug your modem In ONLY WHEN YOUVE DONE EVERYTHING ABOVE.
    If all goes well it should now allow you to edit your APN. Enter it and hit save then restart your tablet.

8: profit

I've done some testing with this setup and it takes on average about 20 seconds from start for the tablet to have 4g internet. I toyed around with keeping the modem on a permanently powered usb port but have not been able to keep the connection stable.

Driving around the tablet keeps data signal and switches between cell towers seamlessly.

I do notice that if I turn my car on and off multiple times in succession that can cause the tablet to no longer see the modem. A simple USB reset when that happens does the trick.
    do they configure the APN automatically?
    do you see mobile data settings in android settings by default or only after connecting the USB LTE stick?
    does it power up when unit turns on?
    how long till connection is established after boot?

i'm also looking for a working LTE stick for a Xtrons PX5 octacore 4/32GB with 8.0....even their own Xtrons accesory is used as hotspot, not mobile data mode.

hi,

unfortunately NO LTE stick is working native at this moment. only 3g/2g sticks are working. the best working device is the Huawei E173u-1 and E173u-2 AS NATIVE MOBILE CONNECTION (be sure you run Firmware 11.126.85.00.209 on E173; link in post 1). the connection established after ´wake up´ in 20 sec and shown in the status bar. pls. do not use usb extention-cables to connect the stick. the surfstick use up to 300mA und will crash when the USB cable is over 1m.

at this moment (mar2019) i´m working on a custom firmware for Huawei E398 LTE stick for native working on PX5 devices based on malaysk rom oreo. Hal9k ROM Oreo and mobile connection is NOT WORKING STABLE.

regards
    /chris
    confirm working 4G/LTE modem Huawei E3372h in ethernet-over-usb (CDC) mode.
    crazy speeds, stable connection. Works fine after sleep/shutdown. HU online in ~10-15sec.
    it has to be prepared as indicated by the comrades here. Tested on MTCE GS PX5, octacore, Android 8.0(!), 4GB RAM
    Best method to get 4G - Huawei E8372 Wingle.
    Plug it into a cigarette lighter USB adapter and create a WiFi hotspot in your car that headunit then joins to.
    Be careful plugging this into a USB port on radio as some stay powered after the ignition is turned off - end result flat battery as the dongles are reasonable power drain.
    I use this and have full 4G speeds - far superior to any of the 3G modems suggested so far.

https://consumer.huawei.com/en/mobile-broadband/e8372/