Working REAL(!) 3g / 4g USB Modem-Sticks on PX5/PX3 Units

Search This thread
Dec 9, 2012
For those who want give priority to Wi-Fi connection instead of Ethernet (provided by LTE dongle in Hilink mode), I developed an app that shuts down the Ethernet interface when some choosen Wi-Fi APs are available. Thus, the Wi-Fi connection can be stablished. If the Wi-Fi connection drops, the Ethernet is turned on again.

I made it open source so that you can compile the APK by yourself or you can download the APK. You can choose the prioritezed Wi-Fi APs in application "Settings".

Reactions: Apollon2

jamesosw

Apr 27, 2007
ZTE MF833V Confirmed!

Yep I can very much confirm that the mf833v works on T-mobile . I got the custmized version from amazon which should also work on AT&T (and i believe verizon also? - don't take my word for it).
Search amazon for https://www.amazon.com/ZTE-MF833V-C...child=1&keywords=mf833v&qid=1605635946&sr=8-1

Just follow te instruction by using AT command : AT+ZCDRUN=8 .
If you are not getting internet then, you need to first disable "auto connect" ) on the web interface (192.168.0.1) on windows/Mac before running the AT command.
You can reverse the setting to work on windows again by running command (directly on dc-unlocker command line):
AT+ZCDRUN=9,
AT+ZCDRUN=F,
This will put it back in CD Mode.
IF you don't have a the driver, let me know. Cheers.

Image attacked taken running on my 'idoing' PX6 android 10 stereo.
Hi there! Can I have the drivers form you? Thanks in advance!

k3dar7

Apr 14, 2018
Working as real 4G/LTE modem (need ROOT):
Quactell EC25-E miniPCIe card in USB - MiniPCIe reduction
Tested in "Dasaita V600" with "HA3_PX5_10.0_ota(20210225)"

In status bar is LTE and signal bar, in Settings is (in this ROM) not implementet MobileData,
but is posible add MobileData Tile to Notification, after hold on it, is show MobileData information,
data statistic, can be set data limit etc...

Only one step is need to module work, replace default ril library with another one libril-ec20.so (already present in ROM). Also i try with libreference-ril.so from (not public avaiable) Quectel_Android_RIL_Driver_V2.8.8_beta.tgz - too work...

Not sure if is possible permanent change (vendor.)rild.libpath variable, then i simply replace file...

Code:
# Determinate what library is set
getprop | rild.libpath
[rild.libpath]: [/vendor/lib64/libril-rk29-dataonly.so]
[vendor.rild.libpath]: [/vendor/lib64/libril-rk29-dataonly.so]

# remount /vendor as read-write:
mount -o remount,rw /vendor

# replace default used lib:
mv /vendor/lib64/libril-rk29-dataonly.so /vendor/lib64/libril-rk29-dataonly.so.orig
ln libril-ec20.so -s /vendor/lib64/libril-rk29-dataonly.so

# not know if need, but for sure also:
mv /vendor/lib/libril-rk29-dataonly.so /vendor/lib/libril-rk29-dataonly.so.orig
ln libril-ec20.so -s /vendor/lib/libril-rk29-dataonly.so

Attachments

• HU-A10-EC25-E-1.jpg
    HU-A10-EC25-E-1.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 94
  • HU-A10-EC25-E-2.jpg
    HU-A10-EC25-E-2.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 92
  • HU-A10-EC25-E-3.jpg
    HU-A10-EC25-E-3.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 84
  • HU-A10-EC25-E-4.jpg
    HU-A10-EC25-E-4.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 102

k3dar7

Apr 14, 2018
same method work with Quactel EC25-EUX with PX6, stock (HCT4) and Hal9k V5,
not know if before i make some wrong, but with Hal9k 5.0.2 also work (after install from GooglePlay app (Google)Messages) send and receive SMS messages via both Quactel modems...

Marko.Zuzic

Apr 28, 2016
Hi everyone.

This was nice thread which worked for me. But I have one problem which I am not sure if it is ZTE MF833V 4G dongle issue or my RK3399 PX6 issue.

Now, after some testing and investigation, I have come to this conclusion.

I have modified my dongle as from this post trough Putty and COM port etc. Works fine.

Now, the issue is following. Once I turn on the car/radio. Radio boots up (in the meantime, dongle is fully booted and working) and boom, I have instant 4G. Now if I start driving, I lose the 4G but still get the GSM.

I have downloaded some App which pings on each new Cell tower, and noticed that on each new Cell tower, tower is recognized but I lose the 4G connection while GSM stays online.

I have re-done that few times. I am sure that this is not USB power issue since on the place, 4G is stable and dongle works for half an hour (may time I was testing) and at very presence of new cell tower connection, 4G is lost, GSM is up.

Any idea on this?

I have:
Rockchip
rk3399
rk30board
Android 9 (fake 10)
4.4.167+ #2067 SMP PREEMPT
Audio : rt5651
Wi-Fi AP6210
Sound: realtekrt5651co

Should I flash with Malasyk ROM, which ROM would be applicable for this model?

Additional issue not connected with 4G is that in the EQ settings, EQ presents have way better sound than Custom EQ with the same EQ settings. Any idea on that? (Not so important since I decided to use Rock present)

Marko.Zuzic

Apr 28, 2016
Hi all again. I have identified the issue. ZTE MF833V 4G usb dongle is not MultiBand therefore, it is not meant to be used on road when driving since it can not change data connection due to change of frequency on each new cell tower.

I was unable to find any MultiBand 4G dongle so I came up with folowing solution.

I have took my old Iphone 4 which was in drawer, flashed the iOS, inserted SIM card, connected it to the usb of a car (for power supply purpose) enabled hotspot on the iPhone, connected the radio to the wifi hotspot, and know, on each start of the radio, radio automaticly connects to the hotspot and there is internet connection. Iphone 4 is 3G device and does not support 4G, but for the youtube music, radio app it is quite fast and stable still.

So, if anybody have similar situation, just use your old iphone or newer device which supports 4g and use it like I did.

marnow249

Feb 20, 2022
Witam wszystkich jeszcze raz. Zidentyfikowałem problem. Klucz USB ZTE MF833V 4G nie jest MultiBand, dlatego nie jest przeznaczony do użytku na drodze podczas jazdy, ponieważ nie może zmienić połączenia danych z powodu zmiany częstotliwości na każdej nowej wieży komórkowej.

Nie mogłem znaleźć żadnego klucza MultiBand 4G, więc wymyśliłem następujące rozwiązanie.

Wziąłem mojego starego Iphone'a 4, który był w szufladzie, sflashowałem iOS, włożyłem kartę SIM, podłączyłem go do USB samochodu (w celu zasilania), włączony hotspot na iPhonie, podłączyłem radio do hotspotu wifi i wiem , przy każdym uruchomieniu radia radio automatycznie łączy się z hotspotem i jest połączenie z internetem. Iphone 4 to urządzenie 3G i nie obsługuje 4G, ale dla muzyki z YouTube, aplikacja radiowa jest nadal dość szybka i stabilna.

Jeśli więc ktoś ma podobną sytuację, po prostu użyj swojego starego iPhone'a lub nowszego urządzenia obsługującego 4g i używaj go tak, jak ja.
Mod edit - translated by https://www.deepl.com/
But the thread is not about
Ale wątek nie o to chodzi

Last edited by a moderator:

Topper59

Jul 22, 2010
Working as real 4G/LTE modem (need ROOT):
Quactell EC25-E miniPCIe card in USB - MiniPCIe reduction
Tested in "Dasaita V600" with "HA3_PX5_10.0_ota(20210225)"

In status bar is LTE and signal bar, in Settings is (in this ROM) not implementet MobileData,
but is posible add MobileData Tile to Notification, after hold on it, is show MobileData information,
data statistic, can be set data limit etc...

Only one step is need to module work, replace default ril library with another one libril-ec20.so (already present in ROM). Also i try with libreference-ril.so from (not public avaiable) Quectel_Android_RIL_Driver_V2.8.8_beta.tgz - too work...

Not sure if is possible permanent change (vendor.)rild.libpath variable, then i simply replace file...

Code:
# Determinate what library is set
getprop | rild.libpath
[rild.libpath]: [/vendor/lib64/libril-rk29-dataonly.so]
[vendor.rild.libpath]: [/vendor/lib64/libril-rk29-dataonly.so]

# remount /vendor as read-write:
mount -o remount,rw /vendor

# replace default used lib:
mv /vendor/lib64/libril-rk29-dataonly.so /vendor/lib64/libril-rk29-dataonly.so.orig
ln libril-ec20.so -s /vendor/lib64/libril-rk29-dataonly.so

# not know if need, but for sure also:
mv /vendor/lib/libril-rk29-dataonly.so /vendor/lib/libril-rk29-dataonly.so.orig
ln libril-ec20.so -s /vendor/lib/libril-rk29-dataonly.so

Awesome, thanks for this. I can confirm this works for the EC-25 AF for people in the US on ATT/T-Mobile. Finally can have stable internet!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE 17th sep 2019: PROJECT CLOSED, see post #147 .

Okay,

we´ve got many threads about "3g/4g" USB-sticks für Car Androids powerd by PX3/PX5.

BUT: most posts describe WiFi-Sticks and Sticks recognized as ethernet connection or ´WiFi-Hotspot Crap´ devices.....

i think we need a thread for WORKING REAL MODEMS (detected as mobil-connection) on this devices.....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so! here the first modem i found that 100% worked as a MODEM:

as 3G:
    Huawei E173u-1 (fully working w/o loosing connection, be sure to run Firmware 11.126.85.00.209; up- or downgrade!!!)
    Huawei E173u-2 (fully working w/o loosing connection, be sure to run Firmware 11.126.85.00.209; up- or downgrade!!!)

(Huawei E173S-1 WILL NOT WORKING!)

tested on PX5 with Malaysk 3.2 (oreo)

Firmware 11.126.85.00.209 for E173:
    https://download.myusbmodem.com/home/Huawei Firmwares/E173/E173Update_11.126.85.00.209_B427.zip

flash code generator:
    https://huaweiunlockcalculator.com/huawei-flash-code

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

today (14th March 19) i can confirm:

also working with 3g:
    HUAWEI K3772 - HSPA USB Stick

note:

- working with ALL PX5 Android Systems (Stock Marshmallow, Malaysk Marshmallow, Stock Oreo, Malaysk Oreo, hal9k Oreo)
    - no problems with handover or switching between 3g/2g
    - perfect working surf-stick

Pictures of the Stick (wtf... IMG bbcode doesn´t work :confused: )
    pictures.net-freaks.com:1073/user112718ef/2019/xda/20190314_2.jpg
    pictures.net-freaks.com:1073/user112718ef/2019/xda/20190314_1.jpg

today (15th March 19) i can confirm:

also working with 3g:
    HUAWEI E3131s-1 3G Surfstick in ´Modem-Mode´ <recommended Device for ´Oreo´

note:

- working with ALL PX5 Oreo Android Systems (Stock Oreo, Malaysk Oreo, hal9k Oreo) > NOT working on any Marshmallow (only signal strength shown, no 3G connection)
    - no problems with handover or switching between 3g/2g
    - perfect working surf-stick
    - has the BEST RADIO LINK with PERFECT SPEED-RATE of all tested devices (til today; 15th March ´19)
    - has connection for an external antenna (CRC-9 jack) > great

Pictures of the Stick (wtf... IMG bbcode doesn´t work :confused: )
    pictures.net-freaks.com:1073/user112718ef/2019/xda/20190315_1.jpg
    pictures.net-freaks.com:1073/user112718ef/2019/xda/20190315_2.jpg
    pictures.net-freaks.com:1073/user112718ef/2019/xda/20190315_3.jpg
    pictures.net-freaks.com:1073/user112718ef/2019/xda/20190315_4.jpg

/chris
    Fyi folks just managed to get zte mf833v working with xtrons gs px5 Oreo with actual 4g, NOT RNDIS ethernet (see attached pic)

The way I did it was to place the modem into non-usb mode so that it shows up as a cdc-gsm device.
    1: download DC unlocker on your windows pc (this is to get the modem to show up as a COM port)
    2: plug your modem into PC and launch DC unlocker as administrator. Select zte modem from the list and leave the rest of the fields on the default auto select. Hit search
    3: open up device manager on your PC and look for ports and you should see two COM porta for your zte modem each with a number next to them. Take note of the number next to the one that DOESN'T say diagnostic on it.
    4: download PuTy or any other terminal program of your choosing. Connect to the aforementioned COM port using serial connect and if it works well you should see a command line window where if you type AT and hit enter you will get OK as a response
    5: type AT+ZDCDRUN=8 and hit enter to place the modem into non-usb mode. If it goes well you should get a message saying updated modem mode or something similar.

Unplug your modem and put it aside for now.

6: if you are using an xtrons unit you need two more things. First you'll need the right MCU as the factory shipped MCU does NOT support cellular network. I've attached the one I'm using to this..make sure you update. Second is you'll need a network settings app to actually enter your APN settings. You can find one on the play store but you won't be able to enter APN settings until you plug in the modem

7: plug your modem In ONLY WHEN YOUVE DONE EVERYTHING ABOVE.
    If all goes well it should now allow you to edit your APN. Enter it and hit save then restart your tablet.

8: profit

I've done some testing with this setup and it takes on average about 20 seconds from start for the tablet to have 4g internet. I toyed around with keeping the modem on a permanently powered usb port but have not been able to keep the connection stable.

Driving around the tablet keeps data signal and switches between cell towers seamlessly.

I do notice that if I turn my car on and off multiple times in succession that can cause the tablet to no longer see the modem. A simple USB reset when that happens does the trick.
    do they configure the APN automatically?
    do you see mobile data settings in android settings by default or only after connecting the USB LTE stick?
    does it power up when unit turns on?
    how long till connection is established after boot?

i'm also looking for a working LTE stick for a Xtrons PX5 octacore 4/32GB with 8.0....even their own Xtrons accesory is used as hotspot, not mobile data mode.

hi,

unfortunately NO LTE stick is working native at this moment. only 3g/2g sticks are working. the best working device is the Huawei E173u-1 and E173u-2 AS NATIVE MOBILE CONNECTION (be sure you run Firmware 11.126.85.00.209 on E173; link in post 1). the connection established after ´wake up´ in 20 sec and shown in the status bar. pls. do not use usb extention-cables to connect the stick. the surfstick use up to 300mA und will crash when the USB cable is over 1m.

at this moment (mar2019) i´m working on a custom firmware for Huawei E398 LTE stick for native working on PX5 devices based on malaysk rom oreo. Hal9k ROM Oreo and mobile connection is NOT WORKING STABLE.

regards
    /chris
    confirm working 4G/LTE modem Huawei E3372h in ethernet-over-usb (CDC) mode.
    crazy speeds, stable connection. Works fine after sleep/shutdown. HU online in ~10-15sec.
    it has to be prepared as indicated by the comrades here. Tested on MTCE GS PX5, octacore, Android 8.0(!), 4GB RAM
    Best method to get 4G - Huawei E8372 Wingle.
    Plug it into a cigarette lighter USB adapter and create a WiFi hotspot in your car that headunit then joins to.
    Be careful plugging this into a USB port on radio as some stay powered after the ignition is turned off - end result flat battery as the dongles are reasonable power drain.
    I use this and have full 4G speeds - far superior to any of the 3G modems suggested so far.

https://consumer.huawei.com/en/mobile-broadband/e8372/