Development Working TWRP but very unofficial! But very useful!

Search This thread

theburrus1

Apr 5, 2011
Moto G7 Play
Moto G 5G
Hi, so I just got this phone and I see there's not much on the postings like with links to a working TWRP, in particular. So I did some digging around and experented, and found this TWRP. It's from the Moto G9 Play (guamp). But it works, at least just booting it. I have not tried flashing it to the boot partition but it serves it's function when just booted (see command below) . Most important on the get go is a Android backup.

fastboot boot recovery.img

After booting, go to "Mount" and mount all the partitions listed there. Then backtrack to "Backup" and select where you want the backup to go. Then continue with backing it up. You don't have to back up both the 'Super' and the 'Super image' partitions, just choose one of those. Then once that finishes, it's a matter of bravery on your part. There was a 'vbmeta.img' you could flash then a Magisk_21.zip but I'm not sure if the Play G9 vbmeta would work. Anyhow, attached it the TWRP and then the link to it's source with the other files mentioned above. Let us know how it works or helps anyone. Oh, and it will ask for your internal PIN or password first to decrypt that partition. I think it's best to delete your finger prints and change the lock to NONE. Then boot it and backup everything. Remember to Mount everything first!

Link

Lastly, my recovery log shows this works on our Moto G Play 2021 (guamna)

Attachments

• recovery.img
    55.8 MB · Views: 1,857
  • recovery.log
    4.6 KB · Views: 327

svoc

Oct 5, 2015
Moto E6
Moto G9 Power
It does work 100% I have tested every feature out and it all works do not install it only boot it I have tried to mod the recovery 3 times now to install it but Everytime I do it bootloops my phone and I have to reflash all the imgs to the device

svoc

Oct 5, 2015
Moto E6
Moto G9 Power
You can boot it with terminal emulator by running the below steps

Step 1 (backup stock_boot.img so we can get back in to android)
dd if=/dev/block/by-name/boot_a of=/sdcard/stock_recovery_backup.img

Step 2 (dd recovery.img to boot_a)

dd if=(path to stock_recovery.img) of=/dev/block/by-name/boot_a

Step 3( from twrp terminal replace recovery very.img with stock_boot_a in twrp mount all that can be mounted)

dd if=/sdcard/stock_boot_a of=/dev/block/by-name/boot_a

theburrus1

Apr 5, 2011
Moto G7 Play
Moto G 5G
Thank you for that info. I actually was not aware it could be done. For me, personally, this twrp serves best as being able to do a complete backup as well as I realized it does flash Magisk for root successfully as well. Until we get an official twrp, this seems sufficient enough for the most necessary functions.

svoc

Oct 5, 2015
Moto E6
Moto G9 Power
It works 100% so there is no need for a official twrp this will work just need the device trees to add to it so it can be installed to recovery and stay after a reboot

rogjr1986

Jun 23, 2015
Moto G Stylus 5G
Hey guys I built a TWRP from this one and the stock recovery you can flash it to the recovery partition it's 100% working.. I had a little problem with the touch but I fixed the kernel... I posted it in the development section

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, so I just got this phone and I see there's not much on the postings like with links to a working TWRP, in particular. So I did some digging around and experented, and found this TWRP. It's from the Moto G9 Play (guamp). But it works, at least just booting it. I have not tried flashing it to the boot partition but it serves it's function when just booted (see command below) . Most important on the get go is a Android backup.

fastboot boot recovery.img

After booting, go to "Mount" and mount all the partitions listed there. Then backtrack to "Backup" and select where you want the backup to go. Then continue with backing it up. You don't have to back up both the 'Super' and the 'Super image' partitions, just choose one of those. Then once that finishes, it's a matter of bravery on your part. There was a 'vbmeta.img' you could flash then a Magisk_21.zip but I'm not sure if the Play G9 vbmeta would work. Anyhow, attached it the TWRP and then the link to it's source with the other files mentioned above. Let us know how it works or helps anyone. Oh, and it will ask for your internal PIN or password first to decrypt that partition. I think it's best to delete your finger prints and change the lock to NONE. Then boot it and backup everything. Remember to Mount everything first!

Link

Lastly, my recovery log shows this works on our Moto G Play 2021 (guamna)
    You can boot it with terminal emulator by running the below steps

Step 1 (backup stock_boot.img so we can get back in to android)
    dd if=/dev/block/by-name/boot_a of=/sdcard/stock_recovery_backup.img

Step 2 (dd recovery.img to boot_a)

dd if=(path to stock_recovery.img) of=/dev/block/by-name/boot_a

Step 3( from twrp terminal replace recovery very.img with stock_boot_a in twrp mount all that can be mounted)

dd if=/sdcard/stock_boot_a of=/dev/block/by-name/boot_a
    It does work 100% I have tested every feature out and it all works do not install it only boot it I have tried to mod the recovery 3 times now to install it but Everytime I do it bootloops my phone and I have to reflash all the imgs to the device