How To Guide working-twrp-but-very-unofficial-but-very-useful

Search This thread

4xc7xy

Nov 27, 2021
Did you 'fastboot reboot bootloader' first before the boot attempt? You need be in the Fastbootd, not the normal Fastboot screen. I know it's odd, but that's how I got mine. Because apparently fastboot itself won't boot even my TWRP but fastbootd does. The device being an A/B device is the only reason to ever use fastboot (not fastbootd), to flash the sparsed system image is my understanding.
Hey, I just tried to run fastboot reboot bootloader before booting the twrp img, it just shows the normal recovery exactly how it did before. How do I access the fastbootd? first time I've heard about this.

Sorry for any inconveniences.

Never mind, figured out how to get into Fastbootd, how do i boot twrp in fastbootd?

Onoitsu2

May 4, 2013
USA
Moto G Power (2021)
Hey, I just tried to run fastboot reboot bootloader before booting the twrp img, it just shows the normal recovery exactly how it did before. How do I access the fastbootd? first time I've heard about this.

Sorry for any inconveniences.

Never mind, figured out how to get into Fastbootd, how do i boot twrp in fastbootd?
same way as you were trying in fastboot. fastbootd is just a modified fastboot, and accepts the same commands, so would be 'fastboot boot image.img' or whatever name your file is named.

4xc7xy

Nov 27, 2021
Did you 'fastboot reboot bootloader' first before the boot attempt? You need be in the Fastbootd, not the normal Fastboot screen. I know it's odd, but that's how I got mine. Because apparently fastboot itself won't boot even my TWRP but fastbootd does. The device being an A/B device is the only reason to ever use fastboot (not fastbootd), to flash the sparsed system image is my understanding.
inside fastbootd i ran fastboot boot twrp_fixed.img, this is what it gave me.
Code:
Sending 'boot.img' (35428 KB)                      OKAY [  0.828s]
Booting                                            FAILED (remote: 'Unrecognized command boot')
fastboot: error: Command failed

I don't know if this information helps but my phone does have the A/B system (according to magisk, it has it checked as yes), found this out while I was flashing a stock rom with magisk patched to it so I can have root access

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211128-211531-345.png
    Screenshot_20211128-211531-345.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Onoitsu2

May 4, 2013
USA
Moto G Power (2021)
inside fastbootd i ran fastboot boot twrp_fixed.img, this is what it gave me.
Code:
Sending 'boot.img' (35428 KB)                      OKAY [  0.828s]
Booting                                            FAILED (remote: 'Unrecognized command boot')
fastboot: error: Command failed

I don't know if this information helps but my phone does have the A/B system (according to magisk, it has it checked as yes), found this out while I was flashing a stock rom with magisk patched to it so I can have root access
that sounds like you are not in fastbootd, but fastboot itself if seeing that error as the primary proof of that.

How I had to start on my moto g 2021 XT2117-4, was this order of commands to start getting things to behave
adb reboot fastboot (once you've got it booting successfully you can change this to bootloader, don't ask me why)
fastboot reboot bootloader
fastboot boot image.img

it is that 3 commands I've relied on with success, because it seems just trying to boot from having a live boot, will more often than not fail (perhaps RAM or something not cleared properly and things just hiccough somehow). But the rebooting back into bootloader clears things. However once you've got this modified, you can just power it on, while holding volume down and it will boot into the bootloader, so you can then connect to the system and only need issue the 2nd and 3rd commands, or even use the volume down to choose recovery and power to select. That's how mine can now natively boot into TWRP.

4xc7xy

Nov 27, 2021
that sounds like you are not in fastbootd, but fastboot itself if seeing that error as the primary proof of that.

How I had to start on my moto g 2021 XT2117-4, was this order of commands to start getting things to behave
adb reboot fastboot (once you've got it booting successfully you can change this to bootloader, don't ask me why)
fastboot boot image.img

it is that 3 commands I've relied on with success, because it seems just trying to boot from having a live boot, will more often than not fail (perhaps RAM or something not cleared properly and things just hiccough somehow). But the rebooting back into bootloader clears things. However once you've got this modified, you can just power it on, while holding volume down and it will boot into the bootloader, so you can then connect to the system and only need issue the 2nd and 3rd commands, or even use the volume down to choose recovery and power to select. That's how mine can now natively boot into TWRP.

Yeah I did adb reboot fastboot, it sends me to fastbootd.

After that, i send the next command which is fastboot reboot bootloader, it sends me to the normal bootloader screen where you do the basic fastbooting, and I try booting into the recovery with fastboot boot twrp.img and it still crashes

4xc7xy

Nov 27, 2021

fastboot boot image.img

Bo
I had it installed on Android 10 then did a upgrade to Android 11 then 12 and it still works just fine on mine try to flash it. It boot it by the way
Alright I'll try flashing it, do you have any apps you suggest for backing up my os, etc just in case I somehow mess up? I have magisk root so I can do it without 600 command prompt commands

Onoitsu2

May 4, 2013
USA
Moto G Power (2021)
Alright, thanks. Just to be on the safe side though, what settings should I check in this backup so I can ensure my recovery and rom backup is in working order?
that's up to you in what you want to backup. This will not backup your recovery or system data itself in any meaningful way (because restoring it without verity being off can still make it not boot), that was for only personal data on the device. You should already have downloaded the stock firmware files before you started messing with your device to be honest, for stability's sake, even if you must roll back to an earlier version of Android when doing so. Better to have a way back via a few fastboot flash commands being issued with the proper files.

I do not condone the flashing of it, if it will not boot it successfully. I didn't do it to mine, and you should not have to do it to yours. Does the one mentioned in this thread (https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-android-11-based-updated-11-27-2021.4354855/) boot at least for you, but not have touch perhaps? If so, and you can get me the Bin files from /vendor/firmware, and your .csv there also as that is part of your device's calibration data too. And the .ko files within /system/lib/modules. It should be no issue since you have root you said. I can then hack you in your proper drivers for your device and its calibration. Do not flash something till it boots, even my own files I provide you.

4xc7xy

Nov 27, 2021
that's up to you in what you want to backup. This will not backup your recovery or system data itself in any meaningful way (because restoring it without verity being off can still make it not boot), that was for only personal data on the device. You should already have downloaded the stock firmware files before you started messing with your device to be honest, for stability's sake, even if you must roll back to an earlier version of Android when doing so. Better to have a way back via a few fastboot flash commands being issued with the proper files.

I do not condone the flashing of it, if it will not boot it successfully. I didn't do it to mine, and you should not have to do it to yours. Does the one mentioned in this thread (https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-android-11-based-updated-11-27-2021.4354855/) boot at least for you, but not have touch perhaps? If so, and you can get me the Bin files from /vendor/firmware, and your .csv there also as that is part of your device's calibration data too. And the .ko files within /system/lib/modules. It should be no issue since you have root you said. I can then hack you in your proper drivers for your device and its calibration. Do not flash something till it boots, even my own files I provide you.
This one does boot for me, I can send you the files. Also I had stock firmware already downloaded beforehand even before posting here but I was wondering if I should of also backed up the firmware/recovery I currently had too which is something I forgot to mention.

Anyway I'll private message you the files real quick. Thanks for helping out in advanced even if this will work or not.

Reactions: Onoitsu2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I have a twrp that will boot but has no touch on mouse support right now I only boot it do not install it it will boot loop your device use fastboot boot recovery.img
    I dont make change logs this is twrp 3.4
    I build for myself then when it working I give it away I do t keep track of what I do to get it working I just get it working then give it out sorry I'm working on LineageOS right now I got the device trees working last night I got my first build working but still a lot to test out before release
    I'm just hoping we get some ROM support on this phone. I always run gappless. Lol.
    would be presumably by way of a USB connected hub to attach a mouse and maybe a keyboard too, though there is another version of TWRP 3.5 which I've just gotten working on my xt2114-7 running 11. I also used it to flash magisk which appears installed but has yet to prompt me to give root perms to anything.... which seems odd. hmm.... anyway there's another TWRP in these forums that may do the trick https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...o-android-11-based-updated-11-4-2021.4354855/ as far as I can tell this is only working on 11 currently and seems a bit touchy about the touchscreen driver when it first boots, but I did a fastboot flash magisk_boot.img and then did a fastboot boot into the TWRP, and from there I actually flashed the TWRP file from within the booted TWRP environment. That sounded more complicated than it is...
    Oh. My bad, man. I had misread the dude's typo. It says, "no touch on mouse support," and I thought he'd meant to say "or," but I later realized that he'd meant to say "only." It apparently has mouse support.I broke my Power 2021 right after I got it, but I did get it rooted using this twrp in an adb shell to pull my kernel because the kernels in the lolinet firmwares, after patching, caused the 2021 to lose touch functionality completely. But, even though it's the same damned kernel, when you pull it with:

"adb shell"

"twrp backup B"

it will make a backup in the usual spot in internal storage (/sdcard/TWRP). Go in there and find the file and rename it to boot.img (or something like twrpdboot.img to keep it from being confused with the other boot images) and if you patch that one with magisk it will boot fine and your touch screen will work. The only reason I haven't told others about that is because of two reasons. For one, everyone's using some windows program that sources its downloads from a different spot than lolinet, and those kerels, I assume, work ( I wouldn't touch windows with my worst enemies computer, myself, so I had to find another way using Linux). And for two, I broke my Moto G power 2021 just a day after I got it. This TWRP in here won't work with all these commands but some of them do work. Backup sure does.

I now have the phone I meant to get in the first place, the Moto G9 Power with an official TWRP build.

This one does boot for me, I can send you the files. Also I had stock firmware already downloaded beforehand even before posting here but I was wondering if I should of also backed up the firmware/recovery I currently had too which is something I forgot to mention.

Anyway I'll private message you the files real quick. Thanks for helping out in advanced even if this will work or not.