Search This thread

shakti_nz

May 8, 2014
Hi all,

WorldMax TV 4K is a popular Asian IPTV set top box which was originally sold and advertised as a one-time lifetime activation purchase of $300. Customers who had purchased the device have recently found that the company have now without notice changed their policy and have force updated all devices requiring everyone who has had the device for more than 2 years to pay an additional $120 per year to continue using it. This is both illegal and unethical business practice in most countries.

You can read the hundreds of negative reviews here where people are expressing their anger:
https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/worldmax-tv

It looks like several customers are trying to take legal action - however it is doubtful that anything will actually happen as the company is headquartered overseas.

Unfortunately I fall into the category of customers who are in this situation and am the not so happy owner of a now useless set top box which has locked us out from use of any apps - by means of a popup that demands we enter a renewal code. I'm not prepared to pay $120/year to continue using it as this is not what I purchased.

With my basic knowledge of the Android architecture and having played with alternative custom ROMs - I'm taking to the forum boards in hope of finding a solution to bring life back to this box. Hopefully the solutions we come up with here can benefit many in this situation.

Here is what I've gathered:

- The box uses a custom 'Worldmax TV Launcher'.
- The box appears to have a box ID embedded which is linked to a registration date. The launcher locks out when the registration date is older than 2 years.
- By setting the clock back under time and date, I'm able to continue using the device momentarily - before it syncs the time again. Even after turning off 'automatically sync time and date', the device syncs automatically when trying to set it to a historic date.
- I have access to Android Settings, but nothing else if I do not renew the subscription.
- After carrying out a Factory Data Reset and then skipping the initial setup, I'm able to setup WiFI and enter the Playstore before the activation check takes place.
- I was able to extract the following Build.prop and CPU info:

Build.prop

ro.build.id=MHC19J
ro.build.display.id=MHC19J.20200427 test-keys
ro.build.version.incremental=20181122
ro.build.version.sdk=23
ro.build.version.preview_sdk=0
ro.build.version.codename=REL
ro.build.version.all_codenames=REL
ro.build.version.release=6.0.1
ro.build.version.security_patch=2016-08-01
ro.build.version.base_os=
ro.build.date=Tue Apr 10 12:35:08 CST 2018
ro.build.date.utc=1523334908
ro.build.type=user
ro.build.user=aimin.he
ro.build.host=wyst
ro.build.tags=test-keys
ro.build.flavor=g9x-user
ro.product.model=WorldMax TV 4KHDR
ro.product.brand=Worldmax
ro.product.name=g9x
ro.product.device=Worldmax
ro.product.board=Worldmax
# ro.product.cpu.abi and ro.product.cpu.abi2 are obsolete,
# use ro.product.cpu.abilist instead.
ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a
ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi
ro.product.cpu.abilist=armeabi-v7a,armeabi
ro.product.cpu.abilist32=armeabi-v7a,armeabi
ro.product.cpu.abilist64=
ro.product.manufacturer=ShiningWorth
ro.product.locale=en-US
ro.wifi.channels=11
ro.board.platform=gxl
# ro.build.product is obsolete; use ro.product.device
ro.build.product=g9x
# Do not try to parse description, fingerprint, or thumbprint
ro.build.description=g9x-user 6.0.1 MHC19J 20181122 test-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=MXQ/g9x/g9x:6.0.1/MHC19J/20181122:user/test-keys
ro.build.characteristics=mbx,nosdcard

AIDA64 Info:

Core Architecture:
4x ARM Cortex-A53 1.51 GHz
Instruction Set: 64bit ARM v8-A (32-bit Mode)
CPU Revision:
r0p4
Hardware: amlogic
Installed RAM: 1GB
Internal Storage Space: 4870 MB

Questions
  • Has anyone found a work around to bypass the renewal? Could the launcher potentially be modified to bypass the check?
  • I have found this thread which mentions that Aidan's Custom ROM for S905X worked through means of flashing via the SD card method. Although this would mean we lose the use of Worldmax TV streaming features. Link to ROMs: https://bit.ly/aidansroms905x
  • What other ROMs are recommended as an alternative to the above?
  • I'm aware there are a few alternative options for streaming Asian IPTV (for example - loading a custom ROM and then installing an app like LiveNetTV or Mobdro). Does anyone have any other recommendations in this space?

Reactions: aidanmacgregor

shakti_nz

May 8, 2014
Update: Managed to root the device using Ezroot for all S95 devices by Finless on Freaktab.

Downloaded AF+ Firewall to block ntp servers from auto syncing the time. This has allowed me to use the device freely without locking out by setting the time to a date prior to the expiry date - although Worldmax apps fail to work as they report 'Could not validate box' when opening them.

This is still not a perfect solution. I'm looking at what alternative firmware options I have available to me other than Aidan's Custom ROM mentioned above.

aidanmacgregor

Nov 19, 2011
Caithness
aidanrom.com
Hi all,

WorldMax TV 4K is a popular Asian IPTV set top box which was originally sold and advertised as a one-time lifetime activation purchase of $300. Customers who had purchased the device have recently found that the company have now without notice changed their policy and have force updated all devices requiring everyone who has had the device for more than 2 years to pay an additional $120 per year to continue using it. This is both illegal and unethical business practice in most countries.

You can read the hundreds of negative reviews here where people are expressing their anger:

It looks like several customers are trying to take legal action - however it is doubtful that anything will actually happen as the company is headquartered overseas.

Unfortunately I fall into the category of customers who are in this situation and am the not so happy owner of a now useless set top box which has locked us out from use of any apps - by means of a popup that demands we enter a renewal code. I'm not prepared to pay $120/year to continue using it as this is not what I purchased.

With my basic knowledge of the Android architecture and having played with alternative custom ROMs - I'm taking to the forum boards in hope of finding a solution to bring life back to this box. Hopefully the solutions we come up with here can benefit many in this situation.

- The box appears to have a box ID embedded which is linked to a registration date. The launcher locks out when the registration date is older than 2 years.
- By setting the clock back under time and date, I'm able to continue using the device momentarily - before it syncs the time again. Even after turning off 'automatically sync time and date', the device syncs automatically when trying to set it to a historic date.
- I have access to Android Settings, but nothing else if I do not renew the subscription.
- After carrying out a Factory Data Reset and then skipping the initial setup, I'm able to setup WiFI and enter the Playstore before the activation check takes place.

Build.prop

ro.build.id=MHC19J
ro.build.version.sdk=23
ro.build.type=user
ro.build.user=aimin.he
ro.build.host=wyst
ro.build.tags=test-keys
ro.build.flavor=g9x-user
ro.product.name=g9x
ro.product.locale=en-US
ro.wifi.channels=11
ro.board.platform=gxl
ro.build.product=g9x

AIDA64 Info:

Core Architecture:
CPU Revision:
r0p4

Questions
  • Has anyone found a work around to bypass the renewal? Could the launcher potentially be modified to bypass the check?
  • I have found this thread which mentions that Aidan's Custom ROM for S905X worked through means of flashing via the SD card method. Although this would mean we lose the use of Worldmax TV streaming features. Link to ROMs: https://bit.ly/aidansroms905x
  • I'm aware there are a few alternative options for streaming Asian IPTV (for example - loading a custom ROM and then installing an app like LiveNetTV or Mobdro). Does anyone have any other recommendations in this space?

i always recommend staying away from "Lifetime Services" but im impressed your box is still alive, often the boxes are so badly made a year is the expected lifetime of some
this looks like an s905x based device judging from the build.prop
you could try my custom Android TV 9 rom for s905x devices, there also a android tv 7 version to try too, check them out here :)

shakti_nz

May 8, 2014
i always recommend staying away from "Lifetime Services" but im impressed your box is still alive, often the boxes are so badly made a year is the expected lifetime of some
you could try my custom Android TV 9 rom for s905x devices, there also a android tv 7 version to try too, check them out here :)
Thanks aidanmacgregor.

Your custom roms will definitely be the go-to if I'm not able to figure out how to get the box going otherwise.

• Love

rondo257

Jun 28, 2021
I've managed to root the box and get access to using all the applications as per my above post. I wasn't able to find a work around to the Worldmax app however.
Hey @shakti_nz , I myself have had this problem now and I've been trying to get around the timing issue to no avail. And yes I don't want to pay anything extra as I paid for a lifetime $300 for the box so I should get exactly that. Looks like you've made a much more decent effort.
Would love to hear any breakthroughs you've had on this.

Question: when you say you got access using all the applications but unable to get a work around the worldmax app do you mean that the live, movies and vod options don't work?

sapa151

Mar 26, 2012
Sydney
I decided to take the plunge and install AidansRom V8 based on Android TV 9 and it works well. I can just go and install whatever apps I'd like to. Only thing is that the remote that comes with the box doesn't work anymore but I've heard that a Bluetooth Airmouse would work splendidly so have ordered one. For the time being, I'm using a wireless keyboard and mouse and it works well.

Rosa_cbd

May 23, 2021
I decided to take the plunge and install AidansRom V8 based on Android TV 9 and it works well. I can just go and install whatever apps I'd like to. Only thing is that the remote that comes with the box doesn't work anymore but I've heard that a Bluetooth Airmouse would work splendidly so have ordered one. For the time being, I'm using a wireless keyboard and mouse and it works well.
Can you assist by providing a step by step guide on how to install AidansRom V8 on this worldmax box? I could make use on my box as an Android box.
Thanks
RS

• Love

thayaniangel

Mar 4, 2011
Update: Managed to root the device using Ezroot for all S95 devices by Finless on Freaktab.

Downloaded AF+ Firewall to block ntp servers from auto syncing the time. This has allowed me to use the device freely without locking out by setting the time to a date prior to the expiry date - although Worldmax apps fail to work as they report 'Could not validate box' when opening them.

This is still not a perfect solution. I'm looking at what alternative firmware options I have available to me other than Aidan's Custom ROM mentioned above.
@shakti_nz
Would you able to share the process as I was trying to root by this process but the link for download wasn't available and some are discussing about unplug the device wait for few seconds and then go to boot mode.?

Can you please enlighten bit more.

Much Appreciated

shakti_nz

May 8, 2014
Hey @shakti_nz , I myself have had this problem now and I've been trying to get around the timing issue to no avail. And yes I don't want to pay anything extra as I paid for a lifetime $300 for the box so I should get exactly that. Looks like you've made a much more decent effort.
Would love to hear any breakthroughs you've had on this.

Question: when you say you got access using all the applications but unable to get a work around the worldmax app do you mean that the live, movies and vod options don't work?

Hi rondo257, totally agree with your point. Unfortunately I didn't have much luck with being able to access the Worldmax apps (live, movies, vod etc) but was able to get the device working for use as an android box by rooting and then using a firewall to block it from talking back to the mothership.

My suggestion to you is actually to use one of the Aidan custom roms as opposed to going down the route I did. Why? It's much simpler to install the rom and this will convert your box into a usable android box. Please note, this process is irreversible - so step forward with caution.

• Love

shakti_nz

May 8, 2014
@shakti_nz
Would you able to share the process as I was trying to root by this process but the link for download wasn't available and some are discussing about unplug the device wait for few seconds and then go to boot mode.?

Much Appreciated

I'm not sure where else you may be able to find the file sorry - I no longer have it.

I managed to root my box by using a 32GB SD Card (64GB didn't work) and copying only the ezroot.zip file onto it. You can then go to the update screen under Worldmax box settings and do a local upgrade via SD card. I had to delete the two other files as otherwise the local update method would result in freezing on the boot screen.

thayaniangel

Mar 4, 2011
Thank you for response.

Do you come across with alternative way to root the box ?

I have tried to find but at the end everyone is navigating to Finless post.

Dev_91

Nov 15, 2021
Samsung Galaxy S10e
Anyone can help me to root the Worldmax tv to copy all root directory file and built in apps to create other rom and use worldmax tv features.
I tried to install many of that apps on other box but they didn't installed. Because I think some of the worldmax services were missing.

Joy_Rod21

Feb 24, 2022
I'm not sure where else you may be able to find the file sorry - I no longer have it.

I managed to root my box by using a 32GB SD Card (64GB didn't work) and copying only the ezroot.zip file onto it. You can then go to the update screen under Worldmax box settings and do a local upgrade via SD card. I had to delete the two other files as otherwise the local update method would result in freezing on the boot screen.
Hi Shakti, were you able to put aidan's ROM on it? Can you please send me step by step instruction on how to do it? I am also a victim of this scam and had tried to even report them to ACCC but they were not able to find them. They run their business via international channels and only has agents here who sell it directly to locals.

shakti_nz

May 8, 2014
Hi Shakti, were you able to put aidan's ROM on it? Can you please send me step by step instruction on how to do it? I am also a victim of this scam and had tried to even report them to ACCC but they were not able to find them. They run their business via international channels and only has agents here who sell it directly to locals.

Hi Joy_Rod21, I didn't actually install the aidan ROM myself - this is one possible solution though if you're prepared to just give up on Worldmax and want to use the device as a generic Android Box.

dbkalyan

Dec 12, 2015
Just in case you are interested in your remote to work I found a video which might help

I will try to install my box with Aidans Rom later this week.

dbkalyan

Dec 12, 2015
I have loaded T5 pro image onto the box and its working good. Luckily I had saved a generic Android remote from old MX box and it's working like magic. However the processor is weak and takes time to work. Loaded Kodi and Stb emulator on it. At least it is not buffering.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

@shakti_nz

Much Appreciated

Hi all,

Build.prop

ro.build.id=MHC19J
    ro.build.version.sdk=23
    ro.build.type=user
    ro.build.user=aimin.he
    ro.build.host=wyst
    ro.build.tags=test-keys
    ro.build.flavor=g9x-user
    ro.product.name=g9x
    ro.product.locale=en-US
    ro.wifi.channels=11
    ro.board.platform=gxl
    ro.build.product=g9x

AIDA64 Info:

Core Architecture:
    CPU Revision:
    r0p4

Questions
    Thanks aidanmacgregor.

Your custom roms will definitely be the go-to if I'm not able to figure out how to get the box going otherwise.