Worse wakelock on HSPA than on LTE. Anybody else?

Search This thread

phositadc

May 7, 2010
I noticed that if I force HSPA rather than letting it use LTE, my idle drain is noticeably higher. So I did an experiment with better battery stats, and sure enough I get 2-3 times more wakelock in HSPA than in LTE. See attached screenshots. First is LTE, second is HSPA.

I ran the experiment several times and the results were always the same. I even did overnight tests (9 hours) and results were same, with LTE always being around 5% wakelock and HSPA as high as 15%.

Phone was in exact same place and under exact same conditions for all tests. Signal strength is actually BETTER for HSPA than for LTE, so that's not the problem.

For what it's worth, on Wi-Fi wakelock is even lower, down to 2%.

Anybody else? Any thoughts? uploadfromtaptalk1414436018760.jpg

Sent from my D5803

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414436027846.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414436027846.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

sxtester

Sep 11, 2014
The results might technically be correct, but the impact seems negligible. In both cases battery charge is still 100% according to your screenshots.
Would be interesting to see this test to cover say 24 hours at least, but I'm not sure you can stand not to touch your Z3C that long ;)

phositadc

May 7, 2010
The results might technically be correct, but the impact seems negligible. In both cases battery charge is still 100% according to your screenshots.
Would be interesting to see this test to cover say 24 hours at least, but I'm not sure you can stand not to touch your Z3C that long ;)

It's not negligible though. The reason I did the test in the first place was because I noticed faster drain over the course of a day or two on HSPA versus LTE. The test revealed that my perception of faster drain was likely correct given that HSPA has 2x to 3x as much wakelock time.

So yes over 3 hours maybe no noticeable increase in battery drain, but over 24 or 48 hours it was noticeable in real life.

Sent from my D5803

sxtester

Sep 11, 2014
So yes over 3 hours maybe no noticeable increase in battery drain, but over 24 or 48 hours it was noticeable in real life.
Sent from my D5803

I'll be interesting to get that a bit more quantified over a longer duration/period of time in order to really judge the impact. Anyhow, I do not see this behaviour on my Z3C and battery goes down by just about 1% in say 10 hours.

Conditions:
- connected to 3G/HSPA network with mobile data off,
- BT on (never turn it off),
- WiFi off,
- FW: .98 DE (what is yours, BTW?).

phositadc

May 7, 2010
I'll be interesting to get that a bit more quantified over a longer duration/period of time in order to really judge the impact. Anyhow, I do not see this behaviour on my Z3C and battery goes down by just about 1% in say 10 hours.

Conditions:
- WiFi off,

I'm on the .93 firmware. I might flash UK .105 this weekend and compare.

Btw, if you turn mobile data off, doesn't that effectively disconnect you from HSPA? I think you need to leave it on.

Sent from my D5803

Reactions: xerophyll

sxtester

Sep 11, 2014
Btw, if you turn mobile data off, doesn't that effectively disconnect you from HSPA? I think you need to leave it on.

No, not that I'm aware of. Why would it disconnect from the HSPA/3G network just because one turns mobile data off?! Further, you can check this on the status page of your phone, my one does not switch networks while turning on/off mobile data.

phositadc

May 7, 2010
Why would it disconnect from the HSPA/3G network just because one turns mobile data off?! .

Because HSPA/3g IS mobile data.

I don't think the status page is very helpful either. It shows what network you are supposedly connected to even when you are on WiFi, even though on WiFi you are not really connected to mobile data, either.

Sent from my D5803

sxtester

Sep 11, 2014
Because HSPA/3g IS mobile data.

I don't think the status page is very helpful either. It shows what network you are supposedly connected to even when you are on WiFi, even though on WiFi you are not really connected to mobile data, either.

Sent from my D5803

Ok, we're going to mix things up now. Disabling mobile data does not mean you're not connected to a 2G or 3G network. So, even if you're using WiFi, the phone remains connected. How would you be able to place/receive calls otherwise?!

phositadc

May 7, 2010
Calls are not placed placed over the HSPA/3g networks. They ate placed over the 1g networks I believe. (Until voLTE at least).

Sent from my D5803

phositadc

May 7, 2010
In other words, you can disable 3g/4g/LTE and whatever else and you can still make and receive calls and sms because they don't go over what we typically consider the data networks. That's also why calls work even when your APN settings are wrong.

But I'm no expert. That's just been my understanding for the last several years.

sxtester

Sep 11, 2014
Calls are not placed placed over the HSPA/3g networks. They ate placed over the 1g networks I believe. (Until voLTE at least).

No and no. Calls are placed over the 2G and the 3G networks, some providers even via LTE (VoLTE) now. There're are no more 1G (analogue) networks anymore since years. So today it all starts with 2G.

In other words, you can disable 3g/4g/LTE and whatever else and you can still make and receive calls and sms because they don't go over what we typically consider the data networks. That's also why calls work even when your APN settings are wrong.

You're again mixing and confusing two things over here. A mobile network (no matter the generation) can (and is) used for a.) voice and b.) data. No such thing like an exclusive mobile "data network" anywhere. APN stands for Access Point Name which is the name of the Gateway between a Backbone of a mobile network (e.g. 2G, 3G, 4G) and an external packet-based data network, that is the Internet.

Please, make yourself a little bit more acquainted with mobile networks and the terminology first and then come back on the core problem, if there still really is one.

phositadc

May 7, 2010
No and no. Calls are placed over the 2G and the 3G networks, some providers even via LTE (VoLTE) now. There're are no more 1G (analogue) networks anymore since years. So today it all starts with 2G.

You're again mixing and confusing two things over here. A mobile network (no matter the generation) can (and is) used for a.) voice and b.) data. No such thing like an exclusive mobile "data network" anywhere. APN stands for Access Point Name which is the name of the Gateway between a Backbone of a mobile network (e.g. 2G, 3G, 4G) and an external packet-based data network, that is the Internet.

Please, make yourself a little bit more acquainted with mobile networks and the terminology first and then come back on the core problem, if there still really is one.

There is one. See screenshots above. Everything you said in your post is irrelevant to my original post, even if true. Hspa has higher wake locks than lte by 2x or 3x.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Conditions:
    - WiFi off,

I'm on the .93 firmware. I might flash UK .105 this weekend and compare.

Sent from my D5803