Worth it for ICS?

Search This thread

hajabooja

Nov 23, 2007
Just looking for some opinions here. Amazon has the Kindle Fire refurb for $139. I currently have a Galaxy Nexus, but I've been looking into getting a tablet for a while. I will only be running ICS/straight Android on it and won't be using any of the preloaded apps and what not. Just wondering what you guys think in terms of performance and quality.

FinalJenemba

Aug 21, 2010
Tampa
Let me put it this way...

screen_20120502_1508.png

How could you not want that for $139???

nosenuggets45

Nov 12, 2010
I'm not sure what you decided, hajabooja, but I know when I saw that price earlier, it was instant buy for me. First thought was "$140 for an Android tab????!" A few hours later I'm wondering if I really NEEDED to spend $140...

Oh well, it will be here Friday :D

roothorick

May 2, 2012
The kernel this is all based on is really rough, and the ROMs are rougher still. Force-closes and strange behavior is par for the course, and there are still some outlying issues (especially related to charging) that affect everyone and can get annoying if you want to do certain things.

You won't get a production ICS device experience.

You will get a "It's real ICS, and most things work, but to do X you have to do Y and Z because that's still broken, also don't do A or B they don't work and could screw your /data" experience.

If that's attractive to you, dive in.

kinfauns

Retired Senior Moderator and Retired DC Lead - The
Jan 5, 2012
The kernel this is all based on is really rough, and the ROMs are rougher still. Force-closes and strange behavior is par for the course, and there are still some outlying issues (especially related to charging) that affect everyone and can get annoying if you want to do certain things.

You will get a "It's real ICS, and most things work, but to do X you have to do Y and Z because that's still broken, also don't do A or B they don't work and could screw your /data" experience.

This is a fairly pessimistic view of ICS on the Kindle Fire. It's only been a few weeks since Hashcode has released anything to the general public and he's made significant progress since then. You never know if the next release will make most of the problem areas a thing of the past. From my point of view, if the status quo doesn't work for you, then the promise of what's to come should still make it worthwhile.

Mar 5, 2012
Racine, WI
This is a fairly pessimistic view of ICS on the Kindle Fire. It's only been a few weeks since Hashcode has released anything to the general public and he's made significant progress since then. You never know if the next release will make most of the problem areas a thing of the past. From my point of view, if the status quo doesn't work for you, then the promise of what's to come should still make it worthwhile.

+1

plus on top of that... since i flashed gederom, i havnt had a SINGLE issue, so i dont get it. Most of the problems popping up seem to be from peoples inability to read the posts properly.

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX

Some people just can't be pleased.

Welcome to the wonderful world of open source beta software. It always starts out buggy, just like any other piece of software out there, even final release OEM.

The Kindle Fire is coming along in it's development at a very fast pace and it'll only continue to get better. $139 is a good deal even for an unmodified Kindle Fire.

Don't listen to the haters.

hajabooja

Nov 23, 2007
I purchased one, should be here on Friday as well. I'm up for dealing with bugs to help out developers. I've been running custom ROMs/kernels since the original Droid. Can't wait to start playing around! My poor Galaxy Nexus hasn't had the same ROM on it for more than 5 days since I got it in December! Thanks for all the input, fellas.

FinalJenemba

Aug 21, 2010
Tampa

Its pessimistic and frankly nonsense. With your awesome guide kinfauns it couldn't be easier to flash stuff, and with Kernel 3.0 #8 its a really smooth experience too. Hashcode is amazing with what he's been able to do. I bought a Fire on launch day and returned it because of how buggy Amazon's software was, gedeRom has been more reliable for me than Amazon's launch release ever was (tip of my hat to gedemis as well). If I payed $139 for a tablet that shipped with ICS at its current state on the Fire id be absolutely chuffed. Hell I just payed $200 for a new one and im still chuffed.

Haters gonna hate, I wouldn't worry about it. I cant wait to see where this dev community goes. :D