Would reflashing the stock firmware via odin wipe data?

Search This thread

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
Im planning to reflash my phone back to stock as a few things are messed up, will be flashing via odin the base firmware is UEND6 and will reflash the same firmware so that I can still root w/o tripping knox, would reflashing via Odin clear user data?

@SidDev

Aug 26, 2013
Kolkata
i guess not

Im planning to reflash my phone back to stock as a few things are messed up, will be flashing via odin the base firmware is UEND6 and will reflash the same firmware so that I can still root w/o tripping knox, would reflashing via Odin clear user data?

I guess just flashing the firmware won't wipe the data.

AO7

Nov 17, 2013
I flashed stock over a CM install and forgot to wipe data. My stuff was still there but the install was definitely a little bit unstable with background apps crashing. It didn't wipe data, but the phone needed a data wipe afterwards to be usable...

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
I flashed stock over a CM install and forgot to wipe data. My stuff was still there but the install was definitely a little bit unstable with background apps crashing. It didn't wipe data, but the phone needed a data wipe afterwards to be usable...

I kinda need to get my data back before wiping, I installed 3 new xposed modules and I am not 100% sure which of the 3 is causing the issue, Im stuck at the Samsung logo.

EDIT:

Im wondering if factory reset would delete camera photos stored on the internal memory, if not I have most of my impt stuff backed up online.

Last edited:

AO7

Nov 17, 2013
I kinda need to get my data back before wiping, I installed 3 new xposed modules and I am not 100% sure which of the 3 is causing the issue, Im stuck at the Samsung logo.

Install TWRP recovery (will trip knox) and make a TWRP backup of the entire phone including data partition. Once inside TWRP recovery you can also mount /data and adb pull whatever data you need from it, including the backup. Not sure what to do if you need to access embedded app data that you can not pull through adb.

When I flashed stock without wiping data my files were still there though.

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
Install TWRP recovery (will trip knox) and make a TWRP backup of the entire phone including data partition. Once inside TWRP recovery you can also mount /data and adb pull whatever data you need from it, including the backup. Not sure what to do if you need to access embedded app data that you can not pull through adb.

When I flashed stock without wiping data my files were still there though.

My data is not that important to trip knox :)

nicholaschum

Substratum Development Leader / Inactive RT
Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com
To close this issue with a resolved status, I would like to say one thing.

1. If you flash a leaked firmware - it will wipe your phone.
  2. If you flash a stock firmware - it will NOT wipe your phone.
  3. Factory reset will not wipe your internal SD.
  4. Installing TWRP or anything unofficial will trip your KNOX. If your data is worth losing warranty - go for it ;)

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
I was with a UEND6 firmware and just gonna flash the same to get my data back and factory reset the phone.

EDIT:

Got my data, everything seems to be perfectly working aside from the task manger, Gonna factory reset the phone and probably reflash with odin to have a clean start, would ticking repartition be necessary for a fresh install ? ( but I remember that required a PIT file )

Last edited: