• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question would you get one case like this one or no way

Search This thread

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
What I don't like is a face plant looks like it would transmit the impact and G loading directly to the dislplay. High G loads can then be transmitted to internal components like the mobo which are G loading sensitive.
The front, rear and corner impact surfaces should be urethane or a similar impact absorbing plastic. Screw threads can strip out, front plastic retainers pop out; a stout snap on polycarbonate retainer back seems to work best.
Because of the possibility of multiple impact drops it's important the case doesn't come apart during the impacts.

The Zizo Bolt's design is my preferred case design. It's soaks up face plants and corner hits when dropped 2-4 feet onto concrete. It never comes apart from an impact. After 2 years and at least a half dozen onto concrete drops, my N10+ has zero damage.
Zizo makes nothing for Pixels though. Unfortunately it may be slim case pickens for this model for a while or indefinitely...

Reactions: galaxys

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Can this be used with a tempered glass screen protector?
As I stated Zizo makes nothing for Pixels.
Mostly cases for Samsung, iPhones, Motorola and such.

That said it's likely it would pop the edges of a tempered glass protector. I use Gorilla IQ Sheild wet apply on my N10+, lasts 6+ months.
I also sometimes wet sand the corners with 600 grit slightly to remove any rough edges on the interior corners of the Bolt case to prevent screen protector binding.
Since the Bolt has raised guards on all sides of the display it provides good protection on flat surface drops. Helps prevent ghost touches as well... very easy to hold.

The snap on front plate cases may avoid the tempered glass interference issue but if the retaining face plate becomes detacted in a drop... that could be bad.

ggrant3876

Jun 17, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
Just go with the Otterbox Defender Pro, the case you are looking at is more bulky than the Otterbox and with the Otterbox you don't have to use the holster. Been using them exclusively for years with no phone damage at all.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Just go with the Otterbox Defender Pro, the case you are looking at is more bulky than the Otterbox and with the Otterbox you don't have to use the holster. Been using them exclusively for years with no phone damage at all.

For this phone that might be as good as it gets. Slim pickens as far as cases, so far. The selection may get better in a few months.

Reactions: ggrant3876

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
+1 Just stick with OtterBox Defender (or Defender Pro - I prefer the non-Pro but the Pro was the one on sale on Verizon's site - but not any longer).

Plus, I think that linked one has screws in the case you have to put in when you put the phone in, and remove if you want to remove the phone (to replace the SIM card or put a screen protector on or replace the screen protector). It's kinda neat, but overkill, and I like to be able to get into my phone easily without tools.

Reactions: ggrant3876

boorog

Mar 18, 2013
It has a screen saver built in I am using it from my pixel 3 XL not plastic it's glass. Otter box for a few months and then this one and d brand tear down and probably some clear case.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
It has a screen saver built in I am using it from my pixel 3 XL not plastic it's glass. Otter box for a few months and then this one and d brand tear down and probably some clear case.
Clear polycarbonate cases give limited corner hit and G loading impact protection at best.
It does little to absorb the energy transmitted during impact and especially at preventing a high G loading event. BGA chipsets and solder joints are particularly susceptible to this kind of sudden stress loading.
My N10+ would have been KIA long ago in such a case. Ideally you want to absorb and spread out the time frame of a G loading event to keep it survivable.

Expect it will be dropped from waist level onto concrete... sooner or latter.

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
What I don't like is a face plant looks like it would transmit the impact and G loading directly to the dislplay. High G loads can then be transmitted to internal components like the mobo which are G loading sensitive.
The front, rear and corner impact surfaces should be urethane or a similar impact absorbing plastic. Screw threads can strip out, front plastic retainers pop out; a stout snap on polycarbonate retainer back seems to work best.
Because of the possibility of multiple impact drops it's important the case doesn't come apart during the impacts.

I think your analysis is WAY off.
1) No metal will come in contact with the screen on that design -- only "tpu".
2) Impact surfaces are made of tpu, which is sh***y, but better than metal. See the 4th picture from the top, the phone itself is encased in tpu, the metal just goes on the outside of that.
3) If the threads strip from an impact, then not to worry, its been crushed by a steam roller and NOTHING would have protected it.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
I think your analysis is WAY off.
1) No metal will come in contact with the screen on that design -- only rubber.
2) Impact surfaces ARE made of rubber. See the 4th picture from the top, the phone itself is encased in rubber, the metal just goes on the outside of that.
3) If the threads strip from an impact, then not to worry, its been crushed by a steam roller and NOTHING would have protected it.
Perhaps so, I'm not holding it... one way to find out.
In general I want as little metal in my cases as possible since these are devices that rely on rf signals to operate... a little issue that hasn't been brought up until now.
So yeah, I'm not optimistic about this case.

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018

Try this;

Metal (aluminum), but properly compliant silicon for the bumper instead of that tpu crap. Its also a fair deal less obnoxious than that one you linked to.

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
Perhaps so, I'm not holding it... one way to find out.
In general I want as little metal in my cases as possible since these are devices that rely on rf signals to operate... a little issue that hasn't been brought up until now.
So yeah, I'm not optimistic about this case.

The RF actually shoots through the screens on these, and I think also up from the top edge. Not out the back.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
The RF actually shoots through the screens on these, and I think also up from the top edge. Not out the back.
*groan* If it's metal it will effect rf wave propagation... invariably. Best not to have any and if any, as little as possible.
Without knowing the wave propagation patterns of the antennas there's no way to know it's effects. That's just for transmission, there's also the issue of receiving signals, ghosting and other obstacle induced phenomenon.

If it's using more battery in the case, it's definitely interfering with the antenna efficiency.

eg1122

Oct 5, 2009
Roma, Tx
I bought that one and retuned it. It just adds too much bulk to the sides. Was having a hard time reaching over with my thumbs to the opposite side of the screen.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

boorog

Mar 18, 2013
Try this;

Metal (aluminum), but properly compliant silicon for the bumper instead of that tpu crap. Its also a fair deal less obnoxious than that one you linked to.
Same one on my pixel 3 XL

JGuinan007

Jun 1, 2010
Philadelphia
Google Pixel 6 Pro

The top edge on the pixel 6 pro is plastic for the mmwave 5g some signal may leak through top of screen but the top plastic is where the mmwave antenna 📡 is.

Opensystem

May 12, 2013
Nah, not for me. If I wanted durable protection, I'd personally invest in a wallet style case. Still offers screen protection with less assembly required. Plus the bulk of the metal case makes it kind of unwieldy unless you carry a man bag with you

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Depends on your usage, any recent reviews, and if brand names have similar...

The Zizo Bolt's design is my preferred case design. It's soaks up face plants and corner hits when dropped 2-4 feet onto concrete. It never comes apart from an impact. After 2 years and at least a half dozen onto concrete drops, my N10+ has zero damage.
    Zizo makes nothing for Pixels though. Unfortunately it may be slim case pickens for this model for a while or indefinitely...

For this phone that might be as good as it gets. Slim pickens as far as cases, so far. The selection may get better in a few months.