WP roadmap for 2012: not so good.

Search This thread

JVH3

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 24, 2008
Minneapolis
www.twitter.com
the look is typical Windows style of things which I personally am not a fan of (Stirs up images of grey suits, board meetings and general boredom).

Many xda users love the tweaking and the customizing. Android is probably a better choice for users that can't get over ORD (Obsessive ROM Disorder). I was an obsessive flash addict myself. There's the attitude of why pay extra for it to work one way well, when I can just tweak this and that for free to do what I want and how I want. Android is the better phone for those users.

But, Windows Phone 7 looks nothing like any typical Windows style. Metro drastically changed that. The grey suits were Apple's ads. Apparently they worked well. But, I think you would have to search pretty hard to find a Microsoft developer wearing a suit. Dress pants and a dress shirt maybe, but suits - no.

I was loving my LG Quantum with Mango, when work forced an iPhone 4S on me. Both Windows Phone 7 and the iPhone bring a very stable phone to the customer without the need for tweaking and do-it-yourself fixes. Both are very easy to use. There are certain things Windows Phone 7 can't do that the iPhone and Android can do. But, the intutive feel of Windows Phone 7 is very refreshing. And it does the things that most typical users need or want to do with a smartphone. Many on XDA are users that are exceptions. XDA attracts those that want to tweak and push the limits. Both can go 3 days between charging as well.

In 2012, I only see Microsoft improving the integratation with the services that most users really use and the new services that they started providing. Although the app market is growing at a rapid rate, the phone's biggest strength is that most things do not need an app launched because of integrated functionality.

There are some flaws, but Microsoft will work on ways to solve them. I personally think they are taking their time to solve them internally, so they can avoid any patent issues. With the onslaught of the patent war lawsuits, it is very important to not just copy your competition and take the patented work of your competition or you will pay them for every sale. Microsoft knows this, and gets paid for virtually every Android sale. They don't want to start paying Android or Apple for Windows Phone sales.

I have confidence that Microsoft will find solutions that do not involve patent infringements. And this will lead to great innovations in 2012 bringing the platform into a stronger position for the future.

Reactions: anseio

benrees21

May 31, 2010
Grays
Many xda users love the tweaking and the customizing. Android is probably a better choice for users that can't get over ORD (Obsessive ROM Disorder). I was an obsessive flash addict myself. There's the attitude of why pay extra for it to work one way well, when I can just tweak this and that for free to do what I want and how I want. Android is the better phone for those users.

But, Windows Phone 7 looks nothing like any typical Windows style. Metro drastically changed that. The grey suits were Apple's ads. Apparently they worked well. But, I think you would have to search pretty hard to find a Microsoft developer wearing a suit. Dress pants and a dress shirt maybe, but suits - no.

I was loving my LG Quantum with Mango, when work forced an iPhone 4S on me. Both Windows Phone 7 and the iPhone bring a very stable phone to the customer without the need for tweaking and do-it-yourself fixes. Both are very easy to use. There are certain things Windows Phone 7 can't do that the iPhone and Android can do. But, the intutive feel of Windows Phone 7 is very refreshing. And it does the things that most typical users need or want to do with a smartphone. Many on XDA are users that are exceptions. XDA attracts those that want to tweak and push the limits. Both can go 3 days between charging as well.

In 2012, I only see Microsoft improving the integratation with the services that most users really use and the new services that they started providing. Although the app market is growing at a rapid rate, the phone's biggest strength is that most things do not need an app launched because of integrated functionality.

There are some flaws, but Microsoft will work on ways to solve them. I personally think they are taking their time to solve them internally, so they can avoid any patent issues. With the onslaught of the patent war lawsuits, it is very important to not just copy your competition and take the patented work of your competition or you will pay them for every sale. Microsoft knows this, and gets paid for virtually every Android sale. They don't want to start paying Android or Apple for Windows Phone sales.

I have confidence that Microsoft will find solutions that do not involve patent infringements. And this will lead to great innovations in 2012 bringing the platform into a stronger position for the future.

OK. Well it depends what's on offer this December when I upgrade. New Nexus with Android 5.0(J) or WP. Now I know people go on about how WP does not need quad core or whatever to perform well but I would at least like to be looking at a dual core in December. It's going to be a hard decision especially if Samsung have a new WP around that time as I love the AMOLED display.

Spat out from my Nexus S!

vnvman

Oct 31, 2009
Alba
As an Android user I want to give a honest opinion about WP. OK first off the Nokia Lumia phones are super sexy! I've always loved Nokia's designs. The actual OS is great, easy to use and smooth with lovely transition animations, the look is typical Windows style of things which I personally am not a fan of (Stirs up images of grey suits, board meetings and general boredom). People moaning about files over Bluetooth etc, it's 2012 not 2002. Only thing that stops me from switching is customization and thinking of how bored I would be without custom ROM'S and Kernels. Hope no one is offended but that's my honest opinion.

Well well, good point actually ;) I grabbed this phone because I wanted to take a break from all the flashing/modding stuff, because all day long all I did was trying out experimental stuff, and I kept checking xda all the time for updates, fixes and whatnot. This was actually destroying my life, not kidding. Now that I'm here I haven't looked back yet, I've just been enjoying the phone. Anyway I already know, I'm gonna miss the whole flashing and modding thing at some point, maybe I'll grab something to play with when I have some spare time (like a 7" tablet or something), but right now I'm too busy with my real life, and the no frills approach of WP7 is helping me a lot focusing on what really matters.

Reactions: benrees21

anseio

Oct 11, 2011
Seattle
As an individual that has spent the better part of a decade and a half in the wireless industry, and a vocal and visual proponent for WP, and now part of the sales force, there are two things I see MS needing to focus on - desperately:
1) More devices! To OP's point; of the big 4 US carriers, there are what, 5 devices currently? That is no way to push saturation numbers above the single digits. Sure apple has one primary device, but they are the anomaly, but there are as many (if not more) choices for consumers for the iPhone than WM. I won’t even compare to the over saturation of android devices...that’s clearly obvious.
2) Advertizing, Advertizing, ADVERTIZING!!! Seriously, this is ridiculously lacking. I fail to understand why Ms would be so complacent in this area. they clearly have a competitive OS, and they have the accolades to back it up. But what good are those arrows in your quiver if you sit down and won’t fight?
Walk into a AT&T store, for example. What is the first thing you'll see? I'll tell you; a 7 foot tall iPhone display, and roughly 20 androids. Androids, all over the walls; In all their backdrop advertizing. Where is WP advertizing? Nowhere, that’s where. Sure I know there have been some gimmicky things of late, but it’s just that - late.

IMO, More devices, and much, MUCH more aggressive competitive advertizing is required.

You are so right about the marketing. I'll tell you this though. Even marketing doesn't get the point across. I own the Cyan Lumia 800, but want to handle the 710 so I know what I'm getting into when I refer friends to get that model.

TWICE I've been to the T-Mobile store in downtown Seattle.
TWICE I've seen the "featured" display for the Lumia 710. It's got its own pedestal and is completely separate from other phones. It's centrally located.
TWICE the phone has been completely discharged. The excuse from the employees? "It's running a demo all the time"

I even make a 2nd stop by on the 2nd visit just to see if they had plugged the damned thing in yet. No. Seriously... plug the muthr'effing phone in!!! How can you possibly sell a device when the display model has no power and cannot show off the display and speed?

JVH3

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 24, 2008
Minneapolis
www.twitter.com
OK. Well it depends what's on offer this December when I upgrade. New Nexus with Android 5.0(J) or WP. Now I know people go on about how WP does not need quad core or whatever to perform well but I would at least like to be looking at a dual core in December. It's going to be a hard decision especially if Samsung have a new WP around that time as I love the AMOLED display.

As far as the multi core. Normal common phone and messaging does not require multiple cores. Multiple cores consumes more power. But the hard core gamers may very well need multi core for some games at some point.

It they do this, it would be nice if they would do it in a way that automatically powers down to single core when using apps that do not nee it or are not capable of taking advantage of it. Since apps go suspended when put in the background, I think this should be possible on Windows Phone.

An extra core won't help you chat, call, post, tweet, email, get weather, stream music, stream video, get a gps lock, take a picture, or surf the web.

But, I am sure some games could benefit.

Having it throttle down to 1 would keep the battery life, while giving the extra performance when needed.

benrees21

May 31, 2010
Grays
As far as the multi core. Normal common phone and messaging does not require multiple cores. Multiple cores consumes more power. But the hard core gamers may very well need multi core for some games at some point.

It they do this, it would be nice if they would do it in a way that automatically powers down to single core when using apps that do not nee it or are not capable of taking advantage of it. Since apps go suspended when put in the background, I think this should be possible on Windows Phone.

An extra core won't help you chat, call, post, tweet, email, get weather, stream music, stream video, get a gps lock, take a picture, or surf the web.

But, I am sure some games could benefit.

Having it throttle down to 1 would keep the battery life, while giving the extra performance when needed.

I thought more cores was more battery efficient? As it spreads the load and reduces voltage?

itsraining2008

Oct 24, 2009
Muse
I feel microsoft release update for wp7 hot fix is a bit slower than other OS hot fix.
I'm tired with checking update from Zune. But I'm happy, when update's avaliable :D
I'm happy with wp7 (hTC mozart) and don't want to jump back to wm or other os :D
but i don't see a smooth IM app for WP7 and most IM app are a bit laggy. :confused:
some talking app response are a bit delay.
I want microsoft to fix download problem with Zune( for purchased apps ) and when connected to Zune, we can't use zune music, videos or marketplace.
I already decide to buy WP for my next big screen and dual or quad core phone :D
sorry for my poor english.
Cheer.... WP

aliciameyer

Jan 12, 2009
I had to agree. WP is far behind its competitors. They have to do something special and make a lead by themselves. Microsoft used to be the leading tech company, they can do better than this.

ROCOAFZ

Jun 5, 2007
I had to agree. WP is far behind its competitors. They have to do something special and make a lead by themselves. Microsoft used to be the leading tech company, they can do better than this.

Explain how it's behind? Tell me what you can do besides antiquated bluetooth transfers and a few extra voice commands if you have SIRI that i can't with my titan?

And i'll do it faster then most of the dual cores on my single core.

Also note.. MS makes the software. it's software O/S is far above the competitors.

benrees21

May 31, 2010
Grays
I want the Focus S but it's not available in the UK. I'm not due an upgrade till June at the earliest and my NS is not worth enough to sell so I can buy a WP!!! I even looked at the Lumia 800 which is lovely but screen size a bit small and even that is too expensive lol. Hate waiting.

Yes I've decided today I'm going to switch to WP, even though CPU power is everything to me lol. I just realised the reason I keep switching ROM's and Kernels all the time is because I'm never happy with the performance. I tried a WP at a shop and it was quick, smooth and did not lag once. Just got a long wait unless some money magically appears lol.

Last edited:

vetvito

Dec 31, 2007
Explain how it's behind? Tell me what you can do besides antiquated bluetooth transfers and a few extra voice commands if you have SIRI that i can't with my titan?

And i'll do it faster then most of the dual cores on my single core.

Also note.. MS makes the software. it's software O/S is far above the competitors.

Let's film 1080p, go.

How about play a real multi player game? How about edit some film?

I could continue, but there's no point in having rational converse with some of you.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

carljanderson

Sep 28, 2009
Let's film 1080p, go.

I could continue, but there's no point in having rational converse with some of you.

The filming in 1080p, I will grant you only because of the general public's perception of 1080p vs 720p and the "well, my TV is 1080p, so my camera should be". With that being said, I don't know how large of a market the 1080p camera is. However, for home movies, does it really need to be in 1080p, when 720p is MORE than adequate. How many people are really going to miss that added resolution on a 42" TV from 11 - 12 feet away?

The other two are only a concern to a select few. How many people are actually going to edit the movies on their phone? To me, it seems like a complete battery suck. Clips, sure but movies?

As someone who relies on their phone, I need the phone to work and I am not going to spend a lot time or take on the risk of modding the phone (i have other devices for that). I am sure I not alone in this regard. I am also not looking at my phone as a computer replacement.

As a feature or function, the thing I miss about Windows Phone is the lack of an SD Card slot. I would have liked to put my music collection on the phone (30+GB and growing) and replace my 30GB ipod classic. I am not going to start streaming my collection from skydrive. Since my ipod is dying, I am trying to find a viable 64GB or higher replacement, and the more I look, the more I wish MS included an external SD Card.

Everything else, the Windows Phone I have (Trophy) does everything I need it to and more. Couldn't be happier.

ROCOAFZ

Jun 5, 2007
Let's film 1080p, go.

OK, how about you take a picture at 16mp like the titan 2? Go!

The point is... they both can film right? and truthfully... 720 vs 1080... can you really tell the difference when it's filmed from a phone? nope! Plus if you send it to someone it's gonna get down sampled and i would rather make transferring my video faster at 720 then waiting for 1080.

Edit film? what kind of editing do you do on your phone for real? i've never heard of anyone even asking for that. I've never even though of wanting that. Hell i can edit photos on my phone (and do more then standard with app integration) and it's a pain in the ass as it's small. About all i do is remove red eye usually although it can do hundreds of filters. I save that for my pc where i can zoom in and out and do serious editing, if i really want a pictured edited.

What do you mean by "REAL Multiplayer?" Air hockey? got it in real time, next?

And for a few lists...

http://www.bestwp7games.com/category/wp7-multiplayer-games

http://mobiputing.com/2010/12/multiplayer-pc-to-windows-phone-7-gaming-arrives/

or turn by turn like Armed

http://smartphonetv.it/video/smartphone-app-software-and-games/-armed-windows-phone-game-review/

Are you sure you have tried a windows phone? heck real time mp chess was out in 2010.

Here is one we don't have that is coming soon... word with friends. (I wouldn't play it but chicks love it) and instagram which i still haven't figured out why people like it more then just posting a damn pic.

Now what do we have you don't... hmm achievements? Hardware camera button (over iphones that is) fast o/s even on 1 core, integrated social, apps integrate also - like when i take a picture i can use photo-thumba right from the camera built in, Live tiles that are 2 sided giving you all your info at a glance, over 1 day battery life even with hard use (better then any android i have seen)

Last edited:

drupad2drupad

Apr 11, 2010
OK, how about you take a picture at 16mp like the titan 2? Go!

The point is... they both can film right? and truthfully... 720 vs 1080... can you really tell the difference when it's filmed from a phone? nope! Plus if you send it to someone it's gonna get down sampled and i would rather make transferring my video faster at 720 then waiting for 1080.

Edit film? what kind of editing do you do on your phone for real? i've never heard of anyone even asking for that. I've never even though of wanting that. Hell i can edit photos on my phone (and do more then standard with app integration) and it's a pain in the ass as it's small. About all i do is remove red eye usually although it can do hundreds of filters. I save that for my pc where i can zoom in and out and do serious editing, if i really want a pictured edited.

What do you mean by "REAL Multiplayer?" Air hockey? got it in real time, next?

And for a few lists...

http://www.bestwp7games.com/category/wp7-multiplayer-games

http://mobiputing.com/2010/12/multiplayer-pc-to-windows-phone-7-gaming-arrives/

or turn by turn like Armed

http://smartphonetv.it/video/smartphone-app-software-and-games/-armed-windows-phone-game-review/

Are you sure you have tried a windows phone? heck real time mp chess was out in 2010.

Here is one we don't have that is coming soon... word with friends. (I wouldn't play it but chicks love it) and instagram which i still haven't figured out why people like it more then just posting a damn pic.

Now what do we have you don't... hmm achievements? Hardware camera button (over iphones that is) fast o/s even on 1 core, integrated social, apps integrate also - like when i take a picture i can use photo-thumba right from the camera built in, Live tiles that are 2 sided giving you all your info at a glance, over 1 day battery life even with hard use (better then any android i have seen)

How can you forget? XBOX live, MS Office (not some doc ****e), Zune baked into the OS and the Skype that's getting ready to be baked into the OS as well. But I think, there isn't any point in having logical discussion about this as most people wanted WP7 in 2010 to be as good as iPhone 4s or even iPhone5. But not understanding the facts of marketing, manufacturing and sales isn't someone's real fault. Not everyone can get the maths right. Like comparing iPhone 4s sales with Nokia Lumia 800 sales - ridiculous too.

vetvito

Dec 31, 2007
Lol. Point proven, irrational with weak excuses.

Air hockey, lol, chess lol!

What's next, WinPhone is the most perfect mobile OS?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I keep telling people the reason people choose Android over WP is because nobody wants an iPhone copy cat. No body wants a so called smart phone with limited functionality; just think about it just to customize it the way you want it you have to hack it and pay for unlocks. Some thing as simple as a file explorer is missing, no way to send and receive audio files, nothing; Microsoft dictates what you can and can't do on this phone. Not only did they come in late, they came in lame! WM was the right path but Microsoft didn't put forth effort into it, instead they left us hanging with this limited, rushed and unfinished OS. Facts are facts and I only speak the truth. Wake up Microsoft!!!!!!!!!

The public disagrees with you, especially those who have actually used the devices. The general public doesn't give three craps about dual core, quad core phones. They don't even care about the processors on their computers, don't believe me? Go work in a BestBuy for one day. The public doesn't care what the stats are, as long as it's reliable. All of my friends, every single one, hates their Androids because of the laggy interface. Doesn't matter which device. And they all have fairly new phones, you want to know the device between you and them? They don't want to, don't care to, and never will root their devices for that "smoothness." XDA is a VAST minority. People don't transfer music files, this isn't 1999 where one person gets it on Napster and shares it with all of their friends. We have Pandora, and a variety of other cloud services that are FREE. I mean, if you guys walk around transferring files to your friends all day long through Bluetooth then maybe you need to re-examine YOUR life instead of Microsoft's approach. The general feedback from the 900 is that the device is going to sell, big time. The 800 is already selling. I don't get what's so difficult to grasp about this. We get it, most of you want complete control over your phone, and that's okay, go buy a patent infringing device that requires multiple hacks to remotely work and be updated. None of us have a problem with that. But the constant bitching about how it sucks and how it's going to fail is getting old.

And this isn't to you OP, you shared your valid opinion, and it's worthy of discussion... This troll just came in here and decided to say it sucks.
    Yea Windows Phone sucks because Microsoft made it that way. I keep telling people the reason people choose Android over WP is because nobody wants an iPhone copy cat. No body wants a so called smart phone with limited functionality; just think about it just to customize it the way you want it you have to hack it and pay for unlocks. Some thing as simple as a file explorer is missing, no way to send and receive audio files, nothing; Microsoft dictates what you can and can't do on this phone. Not only did they come in late, they came in lame! WM was the right path but Microsoft didn't put forth effort into it, instead they left us hanging with this limited, rushed and unfinished OS. Facts are facts and I only speak the truth. Wake up Microsoft!!!!!!!!!
    Flipping heck. It sounds like you didn't even read the title. How came that everything has to be "open" in order to succed? iOS anyone?
    Btw, last time I checked WP7 was the only OS with an innovative look and feel, but maybe it's just me.
    I think it in the different way.
    I am not studying marketing or anything, instead i am studying to be a Windows Phone Developer (anyone here has the same goal?)

So when i break down how to make the OS success, I ask myself what people would think when they go to the store and choose the phone, which factors will help them choose the phone..

1. The Design (this has nothing to do with the OS)
    2. The reputation (mostly from Internet and from the representative) about the phone and the OS
    3. Is it Helpful?
    4. The Price.

About the reputation, i must say , it is one of the weak point of Microsoft on the fight.
    The Phone is completely okay, lag-free, and awesome. But they have problem about the bad reputation from Windows Mobile ( I estimate over 60% people that i ask about Windows Phone, they refer to Windows Mobile 6.5) . They have the idea in the head : ""once it sucks, it would suck forever" (believe it or not, most people here actually think like that)
    Second, the lacks of Microsoft Representative at the Retail Store become critical. Bestbuy Geeks wouldn't know a **** about Windows Phone. They usually drive the customer to Android and iPhone, which they know it better. And again, non-experienced Customer would listen to the representative and believe 100% what he/she said. Because they DON'T KNOW that Windows Phone actually the "lag-Free" OS.
    Thrid, people usually have a trend to buy the same phone. Like a friend of mine has an iPhone 4S, and then quickly, people around start to upgrade to 4S from iphone 4. Same with android, Which is such a waste of money.

About the question : "is it helpful" usually refer to amount of apps on the Market that the OS offer. No doubt, Android and iOS has the advantage over Windows Phone about this, and this is one of the main reason that Microsoft need to fix.

And Finally : the Price. I have seen the price of Windows Phone has been buffed to the rediculous.
    If i say something like this: " the HTC Titan is $650 for the phone only, but the Samsung Galaxy S2 costs only $600 and you will have Dual-Core processor, which makes it run Faster than the Titan" (I bet most representative will say something like this) .
    Microsoft really need to work with the OEM to have the deal over the price of the phone.
    I got a WP7 device from a friend with the idea of doing some development and giving it a try. I've had an iPhone, and am currently using an Android. Immediately I started researching how the services I use most will behave on WP7. The results of which have kept my WP7 device as dev only for now:

1. There are outstanding issues on technet dealing with Google email, calendar, and contacts sync. Until these are fully resolved, I will not recommend WP7 to friends or family using Google services. Perfect two way contact and calendar sync is how I justify owning a smart phone.

2. No Pandora application. Yes the website will work, and I still don't understand what's taking Pandora so long to develop their ap.

3. Screens are too low resolution. The bigger they get with small resolution, the worse internet browsing looks.

4. Limited API or built in functionality to sync ICS calendar files to the built in calendar. All of the "solutions" I've seen are one time imports.

The upcoming year of MS roadmaps could potentially end up with quite a bit of fragmentation between Metro devices. Windows 8 will drop this year and their Metro apps are Windows 8 only. Windows 8 for tablets will drop this year and even though many will be on ARM chips like phones, may not even be capable of running WP7 apps. All existing WP7 phones...do they jump to WP8 to fix this fragmentation? Not likely. But hopefully things go better than this - because I want Metro to succeed and want more developers building Metro apps without the headache of multiple codebases.

Take it with a grain of salt. I'm just an XDA reader who devs at work and would love to be using a WP7 device if it met my needs.
    Just want to let you know that I will be watching this thread. Please share your opinions with respect and with tolerance.

I will not allow any trolling or disrespect.

Thanks and back on topic please.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone