WP roadmap for 2012: not so good.

Search This thread

xHausx

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 5, 2010
Central Florida
Why did you delete my post? Someone needs to speak up for the wp7 community

Sent from my PI39100 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

The WP7 community is quite outspoken enough as is. If you want to help then report people that are purposely trying to start arguments. Being argumentative with everyone and anyone who says something you don't like doesn't help anything. Especially if they are suggesting something that they think would improve the OS.

From now on if you have a question for a mod send them a PM. This is not the appropriate place for it.

Last edited:

speedfreak228

Jun 19, 2011
The WP7 community is quite outspoken enough as is. If you want to help report people that are purposely trying to start arguments. Being argumentative with everyone and anyone who says something you don't like doesn't help anything. Especially if they are suggesting something that they think would improve the OS.

From now on if you have a question for a mod send them a PM. This is not the appropriate place for it.

Sorry.....i never posted anything of that nature before. Just finally had enough.

ROCOAFZ

Jun 5, 2007
Lol. Point proven, irrational with weak excuses.

Air hockey, lol, chess lol!

What's next, WinPhone is the most perfect mobile OS?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

And what multiplayer game do you play on your phone? You asked... and there are some ;) Armed btw is pretty sweet but it is a turn by turn like command and conquer. I'm betting anything higher then what i listed drains your battery real fast on the dual core androids lol

Also having Office (as mentioned in another post) which connects to a 25GB skydrive account is sweet. I change something on my phone, and when i get to work, it askes me in office if i want to use the updated version. How sweet is that?

Nothing is an excuse. MS had a reason. Why bloat a phone? it's not a pc. If you want it to fly you must make it lean, mean, simple and to the point but yet functional. That would be windows Phone.

Anyhow on topic.. Roadmap looks pretty sweet. Nokia sold 1.3 million lumina 800's (yes the ones without a front facing camera even!!) and a few 710's as they had just come out (yes no front facing camera on those either) in 6 weeks in only 6 countrys. The 900 LTE's are due out in March here on ATT and tmobile has already started selling the 710's like hotcakes.

Last edited:
Reactions: anseio

vetvito

Dec 31, 2007
^ Modern Combat 3, GTA3(isn't multi player), 9mm HD, Street Fighter. I can play these without worrying about my battery and no I'm not using dual cores.

I watch full NBA games on my phone without worrying about my battery. Main reason I gave up my HD7 actually.

Sure its great that Office is built in, but aren't there better alternatives on competing platforms?

Skydrive needs a lot more integration.

Sure you can use your PC ,but why when you always have your mobile? This is a smartphone right?

Last edited:

KimWinter

Jan 2, 2012
Why would I want a phone to satisfy my gaming desires? I have an ultraportable laptop with me that can run most games out there in the market. Besides, if I'm really up for mobile gaming then iOS is the mobile OS for me not Android...

vnvman

Oct 31, 2009
Alba
Why would I want a phone to satisfy my gaming desires? I have an ultraportable laptop with me that can run most games out there in the market. Besides, if I'm really up for mobile gaming then iOS is the mobile OS for me not Android...
Well I feel that way too, but some decent gaming experience would probably make the platform more appealing to some and help increasing marketshare which wouldn't be bad at this point. The competitors have good games, we don't. The random smartphone adopter may also think about that when choosing a platform to buy into...

Reactions: ohgood

ohgood

Aug 8, 2009
Birmingham

And this is why wp needs to improve. The xbox flags flying in marketing are pale in comparison to the avaiable gaming on ios, and android. The quality of gaming on ios is wow.

ohgood

Aug 8, 2009
Birmingham
Well I feel that way too, but some decent gaming experience would probably make the platform more appealing to some and help increasing marketshare which wouldn't be bad at this point. The competitors have good games, we don't. The random smartphone adopter may also think about that when choosing a platform to buy into...

You are so absolutely right.

nicksti

Sep 7, 2009
^ Modern Combat 3, GTA3(isn't multi player), 9mm HD, Street Fighter. I can play these without worrying about my battery and no I'm not using dual cores.

I watch full NBA games on my phone without worrying about my battery. Main reason I gave up my HD7 actually.

Sure its great that Office is built in, but aren't there better alternatives on competing platforms?

Skydrive needs a lot more integration.

Sure you can use your PC ,but why when you always have your mobile? This is a smartphone right?

Here is the problem Vet,

1. What are the most popular games on all mobile platforms? Puzzle Games. Games that Mickey Mouse's bargain cellphone could play.

2. I am not sure if there are better alternatives on competing platforms, but it is great on WP and Office is everywhere.

3. Not many Android Phones carry the battery life that a Nexus S carries. So for the 10% (and that is being generous) that do well in the battery department, 90% are below average.

But it goes to show, isn't the Google Nexus S exactly equivalent to a Windows Phone in hardware? Does this not show that hardware is not the end all be all to user experience? No memory card, radio, only 16GB internal, single core.

But that is the fundamental issue having a discussion about technology on a tech website. People want to see all the best tech out there go into these phones. Android gives you that. Windows Phone does not. (Yes we have secondary issues of lack of apps and features).

vnvman

Oct 31, 2009
Alba
The premise of your post is wrong, hence disagree.
Really? The Galaxy S2 is right now the best-selling smartphone ever (iPhones not included, obvious), and it pretty much suits the bill, it only lacks the "HD" thing, but there's the GS3 right around the corner and I bet it will sell at least like its predecessor. Maybe not everybody cares about those specs, but there are many who do for sure...and the other sheeps will follow the hype as usual, don't you think?

vetvito

Dec 31, 2007
Here is the problem Vet,

1. What are the most popular games on all mobile platforms? Puzzle Games. Games that Mickey Mouse's bargain cellphone could play.

Great but not many people think Puzzle games when they see XBOX Live. Which is a huge advantage that isn't being used.

Some of the games I listed are on the top paid games list.

2. I am not sure if there are better alternatives on competing platforms, but it is great on WP and Office is everywhere.

Hmm, Documents to Go has been around for years.

3. Not many Android Phones carry the battery life that a Nexus S carries. So for the 10% (and that is being generous) that do well in the battery department, 90% are below average.

Honestly you can say that about every device even iPhones.

But it goes to show, isn't the Google Nexus S exactly equivalent to a Windows Phone in hardware? Does this not show that hardware is not the end all be all to user experience? No memory card, radio, only 16GB internal, single core.

Its not just about hardware, correct. I agree with that.

But that is the fundamental issue having a discussion about technology on a tech website. People want to see all the best tech out there go into these phones. Android gives you that. Windows Phone does not. (Yes we have secondary issues of lack of apps and features).

i can also agree with that, others seem to just want to spread FUD and turn a blind eye.

Xbox live titles coming in february

http://wmpoweruser.com/details-on-must-have-xbox-live-titles-releasing-in-feb-on-windows-phone/

And dont' forget Nokia got an exclusive deal with EA for some popular titles which after a set time will come to the rest of windows phone.

Great but what about now?

Last edited:

Strike_Eagle

Oct 5, 2010
Pull-The-Man, WA
I think it in the different way.
I am not studying marketing or anything, instead i am studying to be a Windows Phone Developer (anyone here has the same goal?)

So when i break down how to make the OS success, I ask myself what people would think when they go to the store and choose the phone, which factors will help them choose the phone..

1. The Design (this has nothing to do with the OS)
2. The reputation (mostly from Internet and from the representative) about the phone and the OS
3. Is it Helpful?
4. The Price.

About the reputation, i must say , it is one of the weak point of Microsoft on the fight.
The Phone is completely okay, lag-free, and awesome. But they have problem about the bad reputation from Windows Mobile ( I estimate over 60% people that i ask about Windows Phone, they refer to Windows Mobile 6.5) . They have the idea in the head : ""once it sucks, it would suck forever" (believe it or not, most people here actually think like that)
Second, the lacks of Microsoft Representative at the Retail Store become critical. Bestbuy Geeks wouldn't know a **** about Windows Phone. They usually drive the customer to Android and iPhone, which they know it better. And again, non-experienced Customer would listen to the representative and believe 100% what he/she said. Because they DON'T KNOW that Windows Phone actually the "lag-Free" OS.
Thrid, people usually have a trend to buy the same phone. Like a friend of mine has an iPhone 4S, and then quickly, people around start to upgrade to 4S from iphone 4. Same with android, Which is such a waste of money.

About the question : "is it helpful" usually refer to amount of apps on the Market that the OS offer. No doubt, Android and iOS has the advantage over Windows Phone about this, and this is one of the main reason that Microsoft need to fix.

And Finally : the Price. I have seen the price of Windows Phone has been buffed to the rediculous.
If i say something like this: " the HTC Titan is $650 for the phone only, but the Samsung Galaxy S2 costs only $600 and you will have Dual-Core processor, which makes it run Faster than the Titan" (I bet most representative will say something like this) .
Microsoft really need to work with the OEM to have the deal over the price of the phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: anseio and xHausx

xHausx

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 5, 2010
Central Florida

i can also agree with that, others seem to just want to spread FUD and turn a blind eye.

The technology is of course relevant, but this website is for developers to share, collaborate and help each other. Apps and Features should indeed be first and foremost here; specifically the creation or improving of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: anseio

ROCOAFZ

Jun 5, 2007
Hmm, Documents to Go has been around for years. Doesn't come built in. I paid for it back in the palm days. It was ok but not native

Great but what about now? Armed, Assassin's Creed, Let's Golf 2, Angry birds, bug village, Cro-mag rally, Sonic 4, Ghost scape,
Hydro Thunder, Go, Need for speed, ect...

Here is a pretty good list...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_Live_games_on_Windows_Phone
And it's actually up to date for my surprize. All these you can get achievemnts on and are xbox live titles.

Reactions: drupad2drupad

vetvito

Dec 31, 2007
Hmm, Documents to Go has been around for years. Doesn't come built in. I paid for it back in the palm days. It was ok but not native

Great but what about now? Armed, Assassin's Creed, Let's Golf 2, Angry birds, bug village, Cro-mag rally, Sonic 4, Ghost scape,
Hydro Thunder, Go, Need for speed, ect...

Here is a pretty good list...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_Live_games_on_Windows_Phone
And it's actually up to date for my surprize. All these you can get achievemnts on and are xbox live titles.

built in or not doesn't matter. As long as it available. Its still technically a app.

Notice I was referring to online multi player games.

ROCOAFZ

Jun 5, 2007
Technically an app but free to the user, and connects to SkyDrive and SharePoint without a separate app... Hence native is better. GTA was Multiplayer? I was going by your examples so I thought u switched to single player games for examples. You have to remember also that MS hasn't opened up native code but to a few gamehouses. Once they relax more, more will come. For now though the existing games satisfy most consumers as they don't okay non puzzle games over a half an hour if they have a life, or a real Xbox.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I keep telling people the reason people choose Android over WP is because nobody wants an iPhone copy cat. No body wants a so called smart phone with limited functionality; just think about it just to customize it the way you want it you have to hack it and pay for unlocks. Some thing as simple as a file explorer is missing, no way to send and receive audio files, nothing; Microsoft dictates what you can and can't do on this phone. Not only did they come in late, they came in lame! WM was the right path but Microsoft didn't put forth effort into it, instead they left us hanging with this limited, rushed and unfinished OS. Facts are facts and I only speak the truth. Wake up Microsoft!!!!!!!!!

The public disagrees with you, especially those who have actually used the devices. The general public doesn't give three craps about dual core, quad core phones. They don't even care about the processors on their computers, don't believe me? Go work in a BestBuy for one day. The public doesn't care what the stats are, as long as it's reliable. All of my friends, every single one, hates their Androids because of the laggy interface. Doesn't matter which device. And they all have fairly new phones, you want to know the device between you and them? They don't want to, don't care to, and never will root their devices for that "smoothness." XDA is a VAST minority. People don't transfer music files, this isn't 1999 where one person gets it on Napster and shares it with all of their friends. We have Pandora, and a variety of other cloud services that are FREE. I mean, if you guys walk around transferring files to your friends all day long through Bluetooth then maybe you need to re-examine YOUR life instead of Microsoft's approach. The general feedback from the 900 is that the device is going to sell, big time. The 800 is already selling. I don't get what's so difficult to grasp about this. We get it, most of you want complete control over your phone, and that's okay, go buy a patent infringing device that requires multiple hacks to remotely work and be updated. None of us have a problem with that. But the constant *****ing about how it sucks and how it's going to fail is getting old.

And this isn't to you OP, you shared your valid opinion, and it's worthy of discussion... This troll just came in here and decided to say it sucks.
    Yea Windows Phone sucks because Microsoft made it that way. I keep telling people the reason people choose Android over WP is because nobody wants an iPhone copy cat. No body wants a so called smart phone with limited functionality; just think about it just to customize it the way you want it you have to hack it and pay for unlocks. Some thing as simple as a file explorer is missing, no way to send and receive audio files, nothing; Microsoft dictates what you can and can't do on this phone. Not only did they come in late, they came in lame! WM was the right path but Microsoft didn't put forth effort into it, instead they left us hanging with this limited, rushed and unfinished OS. Facts are facts and I only speak the truth. Wake up Microsoft!!!!!!!!!
    Flipping heck. It sounds like you didn't even read the title. How came that everything has to be "open" in order to succed? iOS anyone?
    Btw, last time I checked WP7 was the only OS with an innovative look and feel, but maybe it's just me.
    I think it in the different way.
    I am not studying marketing or anything, instead i am studying to be a Windows Phone Developer (anyone here has the same goal?)

So when i break down how to make the OS success, I ask myself what people would think when they go to the store and choose the phone, which factors will help them choose the phone..

1. The Design (this has nothing to do with the OS)
    2. The reputation (mostly from Internet and from the representative) about the phone and the OS
    3. Is it Helpful?
    4. The Price.

About the reputation, i must say , it is one of the weak point of Microsoft on the fight.
    The Phone is completely okay, lag-free, and awesome. But they have problem about the bad reputation from Windows Mobile ( I estimate over 60% people that i ask about Windows Phone, they refer to Windows Mobile 6.5) . They have the idea in the head : ""once it sucks, it would suck forever" (believe it or not, most people here actually think like that)
    Second, the lacks of Microsoft Representative at the Retail Store become critical. Bestbuy Geeks wouldn't know a **** about Windows Phone. They usually drive the customer to Android and iPhone, which they know it better. And again, non-experienced Customer would listen to the representative and believe 100% what he/she said. Because they DON'T KNOW that Windows Phone actually the "lag-Free" OS.
    Thrid, people usually have a trend to buy the same phone. Like a friend of mine has an iPhone 4S, and then quickly, people around start to upgrade to 4S from iphone 4. Same with android, Which is such a waste of money.

About the question : "is it helpful" usually refer to amount of apps on the Market that the OS offer. No doubt, Android and iOS has the advantage over Windows Phone about this, and this is one of the main reason that Microsoft need to fix.

And Finally : the Price. I have seen the price of Windows Phone has been buffed to the rediculous.
    If i say something like this: " the HTC Titan is $650 for the phone only, but the Samsung Galaxy S2 costs only $600 and you will have Dual-Core processor, which makes it run Faster than the Titan" (I bet most representative will say something like this) .
    Microsoft really need to work with the OEM to have the deal over the price of the phone.
    I got a WP7 device from a friend with the idea of doing some development and giving it a try. I've had an iPhone, and am currently using an Android. Immediately I started researching how the services I use most will behave on WP7. The results of which have kept my WP7 device as dev only for now:

1. There are outstanding issues on technet dealing with Google email, calendar, and contacts sync. Until these are fully resolved, I will not recommend WP7 to friends or family using Google services. Perfect two way contact and calendar sync is how I justify owning a smart phone.

2. No Pandora application. Yes the website will work, and I still don't understand what's taking Pandora so long to develop their ap.

3. Screens are too low resolution. The bigger they get with small resolution, the worse internet browsing looks.

4. Limited API or built in functionality to sync ICS calendar files to the built in calendar. All of the "solutions" I've seen are one time imports.

The upcoming year of MS roadmaps could potentially end up with quite a bit of fragmentation between Metro devices. Windows 8 will drop this year and their Metro apps are Windows 8 only. Windows 8 for tablets will drop this year and even though many will be on ARM chips like phones, may not even be capable of running WP7 apps. All existing WP7 phones...do they jump to WP8 to fix this fragmentation? Not likely. But hopefully things go better than this - because I want Metro to succeed and want more developers building Metro apps without the headache of multiple codebases.

Take it with a grain of salt. I'm just an XDA reader who devs at work and would love to be using a WP7 device if it met my needs.
    Just want to let you know that I will be watching this thread. Please share your opinions with respect and with tolerance.

I will not allow any trolling or disrespect.

Thanks and back on topic please.