• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

WP7 Accent Colors

Search This thread

owenw

Sep 22, 2007
Wellington, NZ
So with all the hacking going on, surely someone by now has figured out Custom Accent colors. The ones included with the devices are pretty disappointing and it'd be cool to add our own, even though its a stupid little thing.

Has anyone here successfully nailed it down yet?

kuerbis2

Dec 28, 2009
If it helps, looks like these are the registry settings (replace 0409 with your Culture Identifier):

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlPanel\Themes\AccentsDisplayName\0409]
"0"="Green" ; 0 - Green
"1"="Red" ; 1 - Red
"2"="Blue" ; 2 - Blue
"3"="Orange" ; 3 - Yellow ; Id 4 - Used by OEMs
"5"="Pink" ; 5 - Pink ; Id 4 - Used by OEMs
"6"="Brown" ; 6 - Brown
"7"="Lime" ; 7 - Lime
"8"="Teal" ; 8 - Teal
"9"="Purple" ; 9 - Purple
"10"="Magenta" ; 10 - Magenta

and change the color values here (0=light, 1=dark)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlPanel\Themes\0\Accents]
"0"=dword:FF339933 ; AccentId ;0 - Green
"1"=dword:FFE51400 ; AccentId ;1 - Red
"2"=dword:FF1BA1E2 ; AccentId ;2 - Blue
"3"=dword:FFF09609 ; AccentId ;3 - Yellow ;Id 4 - Used by OEMs
"5"=dword:FFE671B8 ; AccentId ;5 - Pink ;Id 4 - Used by OEMS
"6"=dword:FFA05000 ; AccentId ;6 - Brown
"7"=dword:FF8CBF26 ; AccentId ;7 - Lime
"8"=dword:FF00ABA9 ; AccentId ;8 - Teal
"9"=dword:FFA200FF ; AccentId ;9 - Purple
"10"=dword:FFFF0097 ; AccentId ;10 - Magenta

regards,
-tobias

Last edited:

owenw

Sep 22, 2007
Wellington, NZ
If it helps, looks like these are the registry settings (replace 0409 with your Culture Identifier):

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlPanel\Themes\AccentsDisplayName\0409]
"0"="Green" ; 0 - Green
"1"="Red" ; 1 - Red
"2"="Blue" ; 2 - Blue
"3"="Orange" ; 3 - Yellow ; Id 4 - Used by OEMs
"5"="Pink" ; 5 - Pink ; Id 4 - Used by OEMs
"6"="Brown" ; 6 - Brown
"7"="Lime" ; 7 - Lime
"8"="Teal" ; 8 - Teal
"9"="Purple" ; 9 - Purple
"10"="Magenta" ; 10 - Magenta

and change the color values here (0=light, 1=dark)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlPanel\Themes\0\Accents]
"0"=dword:FF339933 ; AccentId ;0 - Green
"1"=dword:FFE51400 ; AccentId ;1 - Red
"2"=dword:FF1BA1E2 ; AccentId ;2 - Blue
"3"=dword:FFF09609 ; AccentId ;3 - Yellow ;Id 4 - Used by OEMs
"5"=dword:FFE671B8 ; AccentId ;5 - Pink ;Id 4 - Used by OEMS
"6"=dword:FFA05000 ; AccentId ;6 - Brown
"7"=dword:FF8CBF26 ; AccentId ;7 - Lime
"8"=dword:FF00ABA9 ; AccentId ;8 - Teal
"9"=dword:FFA200FF ; AccentId ;9 - Purple
"10"=dword:FFFF0097 ; AccentId ;10 - Magenta

regards,
-tobias

Wow, thanks for this. I guess its time to wait for real registry access now.. ;)

Last edited:

(nico)

Feb 25, 2009
I may have some time to finish my registry app. However, without high privileges writing is not possible.
I've never played with phone specific drivers. Anybody know wich dll to use to with HTC?

(nico)

Feb 25, 2009
Actually, even though HTC DLL I don't have write access to this part of the registry.
You can try the lastest version of my Registry App here: http://bit.ly/WPRegistry.

On HTC, it tries to update registry value. I try to do that only on HTC device but I've never tested it on other device (please give me feedback).

Of course: Use it at your own risk! Playing with registry can be dangerous.

owenw

Sep 22, 2007
Wellington, NZ
Actually, even though HTC DLL I don't have write access to this part of the registry.
You can try the lastest version of my Registry App here: http://bit.ly/WPRegistry.

On HTC, it tries to update registry value. I try to do that only on HTC device but I've never tested it on other device (please give me feedback).

Big thanks for that! I have a HTC Trophy and I can definitely read, but still can't write. Did you get write access at all with your device?

It's such a tease looking at those accent values and wanting to change them! :(

diboze

Jun 2, 2009
now that looks promising. would love to change accent colors. I hope we get some privilege rights to edit registry soon :)

(nico)

Feb 25, 2009
As I said earlier, this part of the registry is not writable. Even through HTC DLL (more info here from n0psl3d)
We have to find another way in.

Last edited:

(nico)

Feb 25, 2009
That's expected. To read I've written my own lib using native API and COM bridge. I only use HTC DLL to do write stuff.
On your Dell phone, the "Ok" button is supposed to be disabled if the HTC DLL don't work.

Reactions: domineus

(nico)

Feb 25, 2009
No, and I don't think so.
Jeremiah wrote a lib for Socket. I've written something similar for registry access, but we're still limited by permission given by the OS.

__ow

Mar 15, 2010
A tale of caution for proud owners of LG's: if you
  • use the registry editor included in the MFG app to add the accent #4 within the display name key
  • let the screen time out before setting the corresponding accent color values
  • recieve and read an sms before trying to return (in case lock screen isn't enough to push MFG out of the way)
you might end up with a MFG app that crashes upon launching and incomplete theme entries, or alternatively a corrupted registry value, which results in the theme subsection of settings to also crash on launch.

So.. there. Be careful. Wish SMS backup was here already..

Oh. Actually all third-party apps fail to launch when theme keys can't be enumerated. This is sort of a bother..

tbk21

May 26, 2009
Has anyone find a easy way to add your own colors? Like the chevron ring tone xap or something.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is a new version with light theme support: http://bit.ly/fJOgsE
    Please tell me if it works for you.

This is still HTC Only.
    After some experimentation, on my Optimus 7, I find that a dark "steel" blue against black looks very nice at all angles.

The hex code is #FF13506D, decimal 4279455853

In case anyone is having trouble doing this on their LG phone, the easiest way is this:

1. Enter MFG with 277634#*# password
    2. Go Engineer -> Other -> Registry
    3. Select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE in the first box
    4. Type ControlPanel\Themes\1\Accents in the next box (for Dark, "0" for light)
    5. Select DWORD (instead of String)
    6. In the "Key" box enter one of the colors that you'll never use, like 9 or 10 (Purple and Magenta).

7. Click Query

Make sure it comes up with the "expected" value. For example, 9, Purple, is #FFA200FF which is decimal 4288807167.

8. Using your favorite RGB color picker generate the color you want (like FF0000 for red), and append an "FF" at the beginning. So, FFFF0000 for Red.

9. Using a hex calculator (like Windows Calc.exe) calculate the ARGB value (8 hex digits) to decimal.

10. Enter the number into the box that says, "for Set only", and click Set. My favorite shade of blue is 4279455853.

11. No need to reboot. Just hit the windows key, go Themes and set the color.
    I've created an app to change existing accent in a easier way (still using xboxmod trick under the hood).
    Just launch the app, choose the accent to remplace and the new color (in hex mode).

Here it is: http://bit.ly/fJOgsE

Edit: Please share your best color!
    Edit2: Light theme support added.

of course.
    But everything in black just doesnt look good. So here is an example of a grey on black bg-theme