Wrong persist.img and widevine L3 issues on Asus ROG Phone 2 (Tencent version)

Search This thread

tuannghia1985

Jun 5, 2007
Asus ROG Phone 6 / 6 Pro
Dear everyone, i'm just a newbie on Phone and stuffs like coding or decoding.
Let me explain clearly what happen to my phone recently and why i have open this thread for asking for seriously help.

From the very beginning i have follow instruction from this thread:
https://xdaforums.com/rog-phone-2/how-to/asus-rog2-cn-phone-flash-ww-root-t4008229

It said we could change the vendor code from CN to WW by edit COUNTRY from persist in 9008 mode (mnt/vendor/persist) or lately called persist.img without Root or unlock bootloader the device (which lately breached the fuse by using command fastboot oem check-fuse in fastboot).

Anything not gone wrong until i reach the step called "1.ReadPersist.bat" and it return the "persist.img" with not correct size of the file;
less than 32.768 Kb, but i didn't recognize until finish using Ultra Edit (hex edit) and write back persist.img (which has wrong size of package).

That make my device show not correct serial number as is: C4ATAS00000
Also recognize that the device is triggered Widevine Security from L1 to L3, Device is not certified in Google Playstore and other annoying problems.
My phone is not rooted and not unlocked bootloader then i have no reason why they show me L3 widevine even i have reflash raw firmware, unlock and relock bootloader.

After get contact with other Asus ROG phone 2 user, i have able to get a new persist.img and start to looking deep down what has contain inside persist.img

First effort, i have identified that in persist.img contains:
1. IMEI (second imei) (able to find it via command fastboot oem device-info)
2. Serial number (SSN) (able to find it via command fastboot oem device-info)
3. ISN (able to find it via command fastboot oem device-info)
4. Wifi MAC Address pool (able to find it via command fastboot oem system-info)
5. Bluetooth MAC Address. (not able to find it anywhere )

Use the same way as before, entering 9008 mode, edit new persist.img to match with items 1,2,3 above; then write back file persist.img to my device.
My phone now has gained back Serial Number, able to unlock bootloader via Official Asus apk on Homepage, resolve some major issue such Device is certified...etc

I also have tried to unlock - relock bootloader to perform root or so on but no luck to restore widevine L1.

A lot of people in my country has same problem as mine, i will be very thanks if anyone has any idea what has triggered widevine from L1 to L3 when we flashed wrong persist.img into Device.

If anyone concern about my persist.img which has L3 widevine security and L1 could contact direct to me via inbox/pm.

Thanks.

Last edited:

tuannghia1985

Jun 5, 2007
Asus ROG Phone 6 / 6 Pro
I don't think you can get the widevine back because you have changed your system. I did a similar guide and now I don't have a signal.
You can try this guide here
https://xdaforums.com/rog-phone-2/h...-l3-issues-t4049411/post81742183#post81742183

I would really appreciate it if you could send me yours so I can get my signal back :(

Many people have lost signal due to flash raw ROM via QFILs, I and my friend is working on this problem and try best to work it out. We have Qcn backup right now and try to edit, convert it to correct imei/meid. No signal right now. For EFS, both of us is not rooted/unlocked bootloader yet (it takes us a lot of time for backup and restore those 40Gb data on phone - during day works) then please wait until we get new things.

Reactions: zinou213

Sk1t

Dec 4, 2019
Many people have lost signal due to flash raw ROM via QFILs, I and my friend is working on this problem and try best to work it out. We have Qcn backup right now and try to edit, convert it to correct imei/meid. No signal right now. For EFS, both of us is not rooted/unlocked bootloader yet (it takes us a lot of time for backup and restore those 40Gb data on phone - during day works) then please wait until we get new things.

Yes I believe I followed this guide here.

https://xdaforums.com/rog-phone-2/how-to/guide-restoring-imei-efs-erasing-t4071159

I mounted the persist image in this and it's basically empty with no actual files. I don't know enough about this and don't want to go pointing fingers but I suspect that is where I messed it up.

tuannghia1985

Jun 5, 2007
Asus ROG Phone 6 / 6 Pro
Yes I believe I followed this guide here.

https://xdaforums.com/rog-phone-2/how-to/guide-restoring-imei-efs-erasing-t4071159

I mounted the persist image in this and it's basically empty with no actual files. I don't know enough about this and don't want to go pointing fingers but I suspect that is where I messed it up.

thanks for sending me a guide, I will follow that instruction. for persist.img you could use mine for find and editing by ultraedit.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1k8EbD_mdLoIifauW9WORVVA6VIMupmmP?usp=sharing

BlazingBullets

Nov 12, 2014
thanks for sending me a guide, I will follow that instruction. for persist.img you could use mine for find and editing by ultraedit.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1k8EbD_mdLoIifauW9WORVVA6VIMupmmP?usp=sharing

https://xdaforums.com/rog-phone-2/how-to/rog2-android10-twrp-wzsx150-t4027313

Thank you very much sir! I've tried this while this does contain more files than my current persist which is just empty folders it has not fixed my signal issue.

https://xdaforums.com/rog-phone-2/how-to/rog2-android10-twrp-wzsx150-t4027313

This TWRP tool has more backup partitions and I think it could be useful in your quest.

I'm not sure which partitons I need but I suspect efs is one of them.

ALSO:

I assume you edited the persist image and edited some things as I the SSN number I put my own one in. It still has no signal :(, was there anything else you have changed?. I have and cannot power on the phone's modem with the phone code *#4636#*.

Last edited:

eatmetal

Jan 5, 2013
Help me sir, i cant update dan unlock my bootloader since my phone show wrong serial number C4ATAS00000

Xrs33

Apr 13, 2019
I also did the tutorial for this topic 9008, serial number lost asus tool gave widevine L3 network error persist all changed.
I was already trying to fix it for 2 months. I went back to CN ww for many times without counting the raw RAW wink countless times, several versions and nothing.

Until I found your topic that really saved me and I believe it will help many because in that period I saw many reports of people trying to use the Asus unlocking tool and reporting a network error as well as me this occurs when I lose Rog's serial number .C4ATAS00000.

I recovered the serial number, IMEi, ISN. And it was even converted from CN to WW.

Grateful friend for your effort.

murasio3

Mar 23, 2018
hi i have the same problem with my asus rog phone zs600kl

Let me explain clearly what happen to my phone recently and why i have open this thread for asking for seriously help.

https://xdaforums.com/rog-phone-2/how-to/asus-rog2-cn-phone-flash-ww-root-t4008229

It said we could change the vendor code from CN to WW by edit COUNTRY from persist in 9008 mode (mnt/vendor/persist) or lately called persist.img without Root or unlock bootloader the device (which lately breached the fuse by using command fastboot oem check-fuse in fastboot).

Anything not gone wrong until i reach the step called "1.ReadPersist.bat" and it return the "persist.img" with not correct size of the file;
less than 32.768 Kb, but i didn't recognize until finish using Ultra Edit (hex edit) and write back persist.img (which has wrong size of package).

Also recognize that the device is triggered Widevine Security from L1 to L3, Device is not certified in Google Playstore and other annoying problems.
My phone is not rooted and not unlocked bootloader then i have no reason why they show me L3 widevine even i have reflash raw firmware, unlock and relock bootloader.

After get contact with other Asus ROG phone 2 user, i have able to get a new persist.img and start to looking deep down what has contain inside persist.img

Use the same way as before, entering 9008 mode, edit new persist.img to match with items 1,2,3 above; then write back file persist.img to my device.
My phone now has gained back Serial Number, able to unlock bootloader via Official Asus apk on Homepage, resolve some major issue such Device is certified...etc

I also have tried to unlock - relock bootloader to perform root or so on but no luck to restore widevine L1.

A lot of people in my country has same problem as mine, i will be very thanks if anyone has any idea what has triggered widevine from L1 to L3 when we flashed wrong persist.img into Device.

If anyone concern about my persist.img which has L3 widevine security and L1 could contact direct to me via inbox/pm.

Thanks.
hi i flash me rog phone zs600kl afther flash with Qfil me serial and imei has chanced serial is now c4atas000000 i need to restore it back too JCAZGV040926299 i dont have root and no bootloader unlocked cant unlock help me how i can get me seral back to restore i dont know howto edit persist

RedLeader00

Nov 25, 2019
Serial number wrong

Hi

My device was flashed via a third party supplier and the serial number is wrong, so i cannoy unlock the bootloader. Can you please explain what steps do I need to take to amend the serial number?

Thanks

xevex123

Oct 11, 2014

Thanks.
How do you edit persist.img and where's the position of the imei and others in persist.img? Because I tried to open persist.img using Hex editor, but I'm confuse because I don't know where's the imei, ssn, isn, wifi and bt. I lost baseband, imei and wifi.

zinou213

Mar 28, 2012
France
LG V20
ASUS ROG Phone II
can someone please help me ? my ROG2 is dead, but lineage and omni roms boot the phone but no sim card and no touch screen, i have to connect OTG mouse !!! so i think it's caused by a corrupted persist file, and when i write : fastboot oem device-info the phone returns random numbers !!!

$ fastboot oem device-info
(bootloader) Verity mode: true
(bootloader) Device unlocked: true
(bootloader) Device critical unlocked: true
(bootloader) Charger screen enabled: true
(bootloader) Device authorized: false
(bootloader) Device authorized2: false
(bootloader) ABL : CS1.2(00125)-8-WW-user
(bootloader) SSN : 111111111111111
(bootloader) ISN : FFAABBCC123456789
(bootloader) IMEI : 111111111111111
(bootloader) CID : ASUS
(bootloader) Project : ZS660KL_L
(bootloader) DT ID : 91
(bootloader) CPU ID : 0 (12LAYER)
(bootloader) Feature ID : 6 (AC_12LAYER)
(bootloader) JTAG ID : 5 (0x300A50E1)
(bootloader) SB=Y
(bootloader) TotalDMCounter : 14
(bootloader) DMCounter : 4
(bootloader) SlotARetryCounter : 68
(bootloader) SlotAUnbootableCounter : 4
(bootloader) SlotBRetryCounter : 15
(bootloader) SlotBUnbootableCounter : 1
(bootloader) BOOT_COUNT : 2478
(bootloader) LOCK_COUNT : 4
(bootloader) Check_APDP : 0
(bootloader) Check_MSADP : 0
(bootloader) rawdump_en : false
(bootloader) Current Slot : a
(bootloader) Slot_a bootable : Bootable
(bootloader) AVB Verity : Enable
(bootloader) Verify vbmeta ret : 5
(bootloader) CN Low Cost Tar Status : false
(bootloader) UART ON : false
OKAY [ 0.146s]

can someone please provide a clean persist file, and tell me where i can find SSN ISN and IMEI numbers other than this command ??

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks.
    I don't think you can get the widevine back because you have changed your system. I did a similar guide and now I don't have a signal.
    You can try this guide here
    https://xdaforums.com/rog-phone-2/h...-l3-issues-t4049411/post81742183#post81742183

I would really appreciate it if you could send me yours so I can get my signal back :(

hi i have the same problem with my asus rog phone zs600kl

Thanks.
    hi i flash me rog phone zs600kl afther flash with Qfil me serial and imei has chanced serial is now c4atas000000 i need to restore it back too JCAZGV040926299 i dont have root and no bootloader unlocked cant unlock help me how i can get me seral back to restore i dont know howto edit persist
    Serial number wrong

Hi

My device was flashed via a third party supplier and the serial number is wrong, so i cannoy unlock the bootloader. Can you please explain what steps do I need to take to amend the serial number?

Thanks

Thanks.
    How do you edit persist.img and where's the position of the imei and others in persist.img? Because I tried to open persist.img using Hex editor, but I'm confuse because I don't know where's the imei, ssn, isn, wifi and bt. I lost baseband, imei and wifi.