Wrong signal strength reporting on G920i?

Search This thread

phositadc

May 7, 2010
Weird issue I'm having on a G920i. In Settings -> About Device -> Status, the signal strength is being reported incorrectly. When I first boot the device, it will show accurately and will vary from -90 dBm to -100 dBm when I am at my house, which is consistent with every device I've ever owned. However, after 30-45 seconds, it will start reporting at "-113 dBm 0 asu" and it will simply stay there and will never change, even as I move about. The number of bars in the signal strength icon on the status bar will even change, but in the Status menu, signal strength simply stays at "-113 dBm 0 asu" permanently. Connectivity seems to be fine--I have no problems making calls, browsing the web, etc. The signal strength in the Status menu simply seems to revert to and stick at 113 dBm 0 asu with no explanation or other impact on the phone.

For what it's worth, I've tried both the New Zealand and Singapore AOD1 firmwares from Sammobile.com. Same problem on both. I'm on AT&T in the U.S.

Anybody else seeing anything like this?

mupet0000

Sep 16, 2010
Yes it seems both the g920i and g920f all have this problem. Every single device. Please get in contact with Samsung about it, the more people that complain the more likely it will be fixed.

Reactions: Kjc99 and phositadc

Kjc99

Dec 22, 2012
Anchorage
@mupet0000 & @phositadc I've seen you guys in a few forums talking about the Galaxy S6 SM-G920I signal issues... Mine is the same! Swapped 2 phones already and they have awful lte reception... I was hoping a different modem/baseband would help but it looks like it doesn't....plus a few soft reboots as well what's going on? Have you guys experienced any reboots? Can this be fixed with a software update?

Last edited:

s-one

Jun 5, 2006
OK checked mine and its yes your right. -113 in status however if you type *#0011# in your dialer you'll see the better reception reported. Interestingly this did not happen when I was on the Cricket towers(At&t). I just switched to T-Mobile and I now have the -113 status. My speeds are great but I can't side-by-side compare the radios to anything to know if there is a real problem.

Sent from my SM-G920I using XDA Free mobile app

phositadc

May 7, 2010
@mupet0000 & @phositadc I've seen you guys in a few forums talking about the Galaxy S6 SM-G920I signal issues... Mine is the same! Swapped 2 phones already and they have awful lte reception... I was hoping a different modem/baseband would help but it looks like it doesn't....plus a few soft reboots as well what's going on? Have you guys experienced any reboots? Can this be fixed with a software update?

No reboots here. I flashed the aod3 modem last night and things seem a little better on AT&T. On the aod1 modem, I was not getting LTE in a bunch of places that I've always had LTE before. I know the g920i has frequency support for AT&T LTE bands, and I do get LTE, but I must say so far the experience has not been as good as other LTE phones I've had. Not sure if that's the modem firmware to blame or the hardware itself. Probably firmware.

Sent from my SM-G920I

Loz1

Jul 3, 2012
Hey all, I'm in the UK and I have the SGS6 edge on the 3 network here. I use my phone for tethering at all times as I do not have wifi in the house. with my SGS5 before this I could easily run my PC , Tablet my son mobi and his gaming PC all at the same time with no issue. The S5 would run a full signal and load very quickly HD content.

My brand new S6 is disapointing singnal wise from straight out the box. I noticed my signal level fluctuating up and down but very rare dose it show a full signal level. and as for teathering I am finding it very hard to live with.

I will be suprised if Samsung sort this out with firmware. I just had a 150 MB firmware update yesterday and my signal level is the same.

I remember my Nokia N96 having this same fault, and although it was all over the internet back then, Nokia did nothing in all the firmware updates I had. I was going to sell my pristine 7 month old S5..... but I think I will hang on to it for now.

mupet0000

Sep 16, 2010
Hey guys, I am on the latest OTA released by Samsung (AOE3 built May 7th) and the problem is still not resolved. LTE signal still awful and LTE signal strength still -113. So far so bad. I have contacted Samsung again, and tomorrow I have a phone call with their support where they will remotely access my phone so I can show them the problem. I will show them and see how it goes, and I'll report back here.

I will make it clear to them that the signal strength is worse than my 2 year old S4, and I will demonstrate the incorrect signal strength value to the support agent. If they tell me it's a non issue or they make some silly excuse instead of investigating, I will simply sell the S6 and get another phone.

This is a huge issue and I'm disappointed that there aren't many people noticing this or reporting it to Samsung. The more popular the S6 gets, the more people will notice that their old phone holds a better signal.

Kjc99

Dec 22, 2012
Anchorage
Hey all, I'm in the UK and I have the SGS6 edge on the 3 network here. I use my phone for tethering at all times as I do not have wifi in the house. with my SGS5 before this I could easily run my PC , Tablet my son mobi and his gaming PC all at the same time with no issue. The S5 would run a full signal and load very quickly HD content.

My brand new S6 is disapointing singnal wise from straight out the box. I noticed my signal level fluctuating up and down but very rare dose it show a full signal level. and as for teathering I am finding it very hard to live with.

I will be suprised if Samsung sort this out with firmware. I just had a 150 MB firmware update yesterday and my signal level is the same.

I remember my Nokia N96 having this same fault, and although it was all over the internet back then, Nokia did nothing in all the firmware updates I had. I was going to sell my pristine 7 month old S5..... but I think I will hang on to it for now.

I think it is a widespread issue... I always have 1 bar lte and under my signal status it say - 113dbm which is zero service... It never moves... I'm gonna try custom rom and see if that help but it obviously a antenna/modem baseband issue... Also someone mentioned it could be because the Galaxy S5 uses Cat 4 lte and the S6 uses Cat 6.....its very disappointing! Hopefully it gets fixed or I'll return to the S5...i really want to like this phone..... But Samsung is making it hard to

Last edited:

johanbiff

Apr 11, 2015
I don`t think there is anything wrong with the signal. even if I only have 1 bar the phone is perfect during calls and my LTE/4G download speed is even over the provided speed my carrier provides, I think it`s just a bug that it`s showing less signal then what it actualy has.

Reactions: Kjc99

Japultra

Oct 21, 2010
Los Angeles
I don`t think there is anything wrong with the signal. even if I only have 1 bar the phone is perfect during calls and my LTE/4G download speed is even over the provided speed my carrier provides, I think it`s just a bug that it`s showing less signal then what it actualy has.

This is true. It's simply a bug that shows the wrong signal strength - mine shows -113 but I'll have 3 bars so that makes no sense. However, if you ARE getting a bad signal, that is a different issue altogether.

(btw I started a thread about this already several weeks back)

Reactions: johanbiff

mupet0000

Sep 16, 2010
Spoke to Samsung on the phone, they didn't need to remote access my phone to see the issue. They had an S6 in their office and they told me they saw the signal at -113dBm just like mine. They say they have passed this onto the relevant team and hopefully it will be fixed in an OTA and I should stick to the United Kingdom BTU firmware (the correct firmware for my region).

We will see if this gets resolved. They definitely know about the problem now and have seen it with their own eyes, so I'm hopeful.

Reactions: s-one

Kjc99

Dec 22, 2012
Anchorage
This is true. It's simply a bug that shows the wrong signal strength - mine shows -113 but I'll have 3 bars so that makes no sense. However, if you ARE getting a bad signal, that is a different issue altogether.

You have a link to you'd thread?

Kjc99

Dec 22, 2012
Anchorage

Ok.. Thanks... I already read through that thread too... Been trying to figure out if it was just me or alot of people..... Seems like the 920f is getting more updates that us.... 920I......The latest is AOD3 right? Today I'm gonna flash a custom rom for 920f and see if there is any change....

*edit* just checked Samsung live update... AOE3 was just released for 920I for TTT I guess is a country called Trinidad and Tobago... But that is the firmware I've been using.... Hopefully this will help... Let Ya guys know

*edit #2*...ok guys just updated to AOE3.... Bars still show low but the signal status is working and it's showing that I have a better signal than with *#0011*... The - dbm and asu is now extremely close to my S5... So in conclusion the signal is strong it just doesn't show it in the bars like previous Galaxy's

Last edited:
Reactions: Loz1 and s-one

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes it seems both the g920i and g920f all have this problem. Every single device. Please get in contact with Samsung about it, the more people that complain the more likely it will be fixed.

Ok.. Thanks... I already read through that thread too... Been trying to figure out if it was just me or alot of people..... Seems like the 920f is getting more updates that us.... 920I......The latest is AOD3 right? Today I'm gonna flash a custom rom for 920f and see if there is any change....

*edit* just checked Samsung live update... AOE3 was just released for 920I for TTT I guess is a country called Trinidad and Tobago... But that is the firmware I've been using.... Hopefully this will help... Let Ya guys know

*edit #2*...ok guys just updated to AOE3.... Bars still show low but the signal status is working and it's showing that I have a better signal than with *#0011*... The - dbm and asu is now extremely close to my S5... So in conclusion the signal is strong it just doesn't show it in the bars like previous Galaxy's

Spoke to Samsung on the phone, they didn't need to remote access my phone to see the issue. They had an S6 in their office and they told me they saw the signal at -113dBm just like mine. They say they have passed this onto the relevant team and hopefully it will be fixed in an OTA and I should stick to the United Kingdom BTU firmware (the correct firmware for my region).

We will see if this gets resolved. They definitely know about the problem now and have seen it with their own eyes, so I'm hopeful.