Development WSA-pacman: Windows Subsystem for Android package installer

Search This thread

alesimula

Apr 2, 2016
Greetings my fellow geeks

I would like to share my small part-time project I've been working on on the last few weeks.
I would've liked to post it in the Windows 11 dedicated thread, but well... there isn't any at the time of writing this :p

That said, this project is still in a very early stage of development, as of yet barebones (but I have many plans to expand it), and I even was too lazy to remove the default Flutter logo and icon... so consider it a pre-alpha; but hey, it works!

This may not sound like a "few weeks in development" project, but I had to implement a way to read an Android apk icon from scratch and that's what I spent most of my time with.

At the moment the application allows you to install any .apk package on WSA (by associating .apk files to the executable), as well as providing a convenient shortcut to the Android settings and the "Manage Applications" section (otherwise only accessible via console commands). It also has a few options (android port and light/dark theme).

More features are on the way, and I plan to show way more information on the installer (eg. app permissions, option to downgrade a package etc...)

The app is open source and available to download here

Some screenshots:

1635896200127.png
1635896243388.png
1635896274437.png

Last edited:

hooooossamq

Jan 17, 2015

I would like to share my small part-time project I've been working on on the last few weeks.
I would've liked to post it in the Windows 11 dedicated thread, but well... there isn't any at the time of writing this :p

That said, this project is still in a very early stage of development, as of yet barebones (but I have many plans to expand it), and I even was too lazy to remove the default Flutter logo and icon... so consider it a pre-alpha; but hey, it works!

This may not sound like a "few weeks in development" project, but I had to implement a way to read an Android apk icon from scratch and that's what I spent most of my time with.

At the moment the application allows you to install any .apk package on WSA (by associating .apk files to the executable), as well as providing a convenient shortcut to the Android settings and the "Manage Applications" section (otherwise only accessible via console commands). It also has a few options (android port and light/dark theme).

More features are on the way, and I plan to show way more information on the installer (eg. app permissions, option to downgrade a package etc...)

Some screenshots:

great.many thanks for your hard work.but when i duble click on .apk apps in my PC win10 x64 its open install menu but the install button is in gray color.thats mean its not active.any idea ?

alesimula

Apr 2, 2016
great.many thanks for your hard work.but when i duble click on .apk apps in my PC win10 x64 its open install menu but the install button is in gray color.thats mean its not active.any idea ?
It most likely means WSA is shut off, try opening an Android app (eg. Amazon Appstore) to boot it up, or set it to never shut down automatically in WSA options (not recommended)

You must also make sure to enable Android developer mode (also in WSA settings)

EDIT: now that I'm reading your comment again, you said you have Windows 10, did you manage to install WSA there?

alesimula

Apr 2, 2016
yup.i just not notice that its for win11.but after i install it i read there.so there is no chance to use it in win10?
It requires WSA, so I guess it's not strictly Win11 as long as you manage to install WSA on Windows 10 (I have no idea whether you can and how)

This app just provides a GUI for apk installation, but depends on the Android subsystem

Reactions: hooooossamq
Mar 7, 2021
Thank you very much for translating the app into Hebrew.
For some reason all the time it disconnects from me and gives the wrong port impression.
How could it not register it for me.
And is it possible to give support in APKS
Thank you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Some screenshots:

1635896200127.png
    1635896243388.png
    1635896274437.png
    Really helpful, many thanks
    yup.i just not notice that its for win11.but after i install it i read there.so there is no chance to use it in win10?
    It requires WSA, so I guess it's not strictly Win11 as long as you manage to install WSA on Windows 10 (I have no idea whether you can and how)

This app just provides a GUI for apk installation, but depends on the Android subsystem