Question X90 Pro+ vs Honor Magic 5 Pro

Search This thread

wolfgang212

Jan 11, 2023
It looks like you have a defective phone. because I don't see anything like that on my phone. Of course, the mobile network consumes more energy, but not by that much. Here are the numbers for you. Watching videos through YouTube Wi-Fi - consumption is about 350mAh on average, which will give about 13 hours of screen if we only watch YouTube. Now 4g. consumption is about 450mAh, which will give more than 10 hours of screen. Yes, as I wrote, the mobile network on any phone consumes more. But what you described suggests that you most likely have a phone defect. I was recently on the road for about 1.5 hours. All this time there was an extremely unstable 2g3g4g network, the phone was constantly online - I needed the Internet and it constantly switched between bad networks. Moreover, two GPS navigators were continuously turned on, between which I switched. as a result, the phone sat down by a little more than 20% giving out 1.5 hours of screen time. that is, nothing like what you described on my copy is simply impossible. Well, except that I will use the phone for two days.

I do not argue that competitors will be even more energy efficient, but vivo is very good in terms of autonomy in any conditions. I highly doubt that an external modem will be better than a modem in SOC. But this needs to be tested. At least so far, no one has been able to do it.
About notifications - here I agree. Very strange behavior on different phones. It seems to be the same firmware, the same applications, the same settings, and on one phone all notifications work and even on a dark theme, and on the other they can fail even on a white theme. Everything works fine for me even with smart battery management. But I always reset the phone after purchase and install all applications from markets - I can’t stand phone cloning programs. perhaps this is the reason.
i have both s23 ultra and x90 pro+ and for battery life, s23 ultra kills it, it gives at least 30% more battery life, vivo consumes insane in idle, i lose 9-10% per night while samsung 2-3% only, a lot are complaining about this and i don't know why it happens since the difference should be 5% max between their battery life.
Stop using accubattery for screentime and use built-in digital wellbeing , accubattery shows about 50% more screentime than i actually get , i get max 7 hours+ of screen on vivo with most of the time on wifi and 10-15% battery left while samsung easily tops 10 hours .
For everything else i'd choose vivo everyday but someone screw something really bad in the battery department and next time phone for sure won't be vivo if they can't provide at least 10 hours of screentime

D

Deleted member 11872899

i have both s23 ultra and x90 pro+ and for battery life, s23 ultra kills it, it gives at least 30% more battery life, vivo consumes insane in idle, i lose 9-10% per night while samsung 2-3% only, a lot are complaining about this and i don't know why it happens since the difference should be 5% max between their battery life.
Stop using accubattery for screentime and use built-in digital wellbeing , accubattery shows about 50% more screentime than i actually get , i get max 7 hours+ of screen on vivo with most of the time on wifi and 10-15% battery left while samsung easily tops 10 hours .
For everything else i'd choose vivo everyday but someone screw something really bad in the battery department and next time phone for sure won't be vivo if they can't provide at least 10 hours of screentime
Wait a minute.. you are aware that vivo has a 4700mah battery only? I mean that's not a big difference but people shouldn't forget that. When I'm checking with digital wellbeing i have at the end of the day about 6h SOT and still about 35% battery left with my usage. With S23 it was a bit better but i never used it as daily so I can't give you exact results.

Reactions: jericho246

wolfgang212

Jan 11, 2023
Wait a minute.. you are aware that vivo has a 4700mah battery only? I mean that's not a big difference but people shouldn't forget that. When I'm checking with digital wellbeing i have at the end of the day about 6h SOT and still about 35% battery left with my usage. With S23 it was a bit better but i never used it as daily so I can't give you exact results.
haha weren't you the guy claiming 9-10 hours screentime?so you realized that accubattery is lying to you nicely.
Yes 6 hours seems about right with 35% remaining.
Between 5000 and 4700mah is a 7% difference so you would expect samsung to offer 10% more battery life at best(which is the logic i based my purchase upon) but is giving more than 30% battery life which shows vivo screw it big time somewhere considering same CPU and same energy friendly display.
P40 pro with 4200 mah gave me same screentime as vivo on a 7nm cpu.
I'd sell vivo and buy a p60 pro which i'm sure will be better in most regards than vivo if i find some viable google hack but problem is nobody knows about vivo here so likely won't even sell it at half of its price and i can't stick with s23 ultra either as besides better battery life it sucks in most other places.

D

Deleted member 11872899

haha weren't you the guy claiming 9-10 hours screentime?so you realized that accubattery is lying to you nicely.
Yes 6 hours seems about right with 35% remaining.
Between 5000 and 4700mah is a 7% difference so you would expect samsung to offer 10% more battery life at best(which is the logic i based my purchase upon) but is giving more than 30% battery life which shows vivo screw it big time somewhere considering same CPU and same energy friendly display.
P40 pro with 4200 mah gave me same screentime as vivo on a 7nm cpu.
I'd sell vivo and buy a p60 pro which i'm sure will be better in most regards than vivo if i find some viable google hack but problem is nobody knows about vivo here so likely won't even sell it at half of its price and i can't stick with s23 ultra either as besides better battery life it sucks in most other places.
Yep when I try to use my phone more than usually (use for work included) i have about 9-10h SOT with 50/50 Wifi and Data usage. (4G and 5G)
When I'm at home and do nothing than using my phone it would be even more but i never tried that because I don't have the time.

Im not sure but i think i never used Accu battery. I don't like it's ugly overlay so i took different apps and also digital wellbeing as reference. The difference was about +-10min when I checked that.

lemonade747

Jul 9, 2012
Yep when I try to use my phone more than usually (use for work included) i have about 9-10h SOT with 50/50 Wifi and Data usage. (4G and 5G)
When I'm at home and do nothing than using my phone it would be even more but i never tried that because I don't have the time.

Im not sure but i think i never used Accu battery. I don't like it's ugly overlay so i took different apps and also digital wellbeing as reference. The difference was about +-10min when I checked that.
hi, how to check the SoT using digital wellbeing? The interface is very confusing, so I couldn't find out where to look at. Could you please to take the screenshot of where I need to look at as the SoT? Thank you!

D

Deleted member 11872899

hi, how to check the SoT using digital wellbeing? The interface is very confusing, so I couldn't find out where to look at. Could you please to take the screenshot of where I need to look at as the SoT? Thank you!
Screenshot_20230323_195720~2.jpg

Click here and then you'll see the usage time. It's almost the same as SOT, when I check with my other phones.
Screenshot_20230323_195744~2.jpg

Reactions: lemonade747

extremecarver

Dec 4, 2009
It cannot. Only Xiaomi and OnePlus can be rooted for china OS.
Otherwise Samsung and google and I guess nothing phone too.

That is if you don't find an exploit.

jericho246

Dec 19, 2015
Honor Magic5 Pro pre-orders open on April 18th (in France at least). However the phone can already be ordered on Gomibo. They ship to many European countries.

mbfamily

Dec 30, 2022

extremecarver

Dec 4, 2009
Xiaomi 13 Ultra will probably cost around 1500€ though :(
But likely only 950 Euro or so in China without band 20. And with Xiaomi you can unlock and install xiaomi.eu ROM so you're not stuck without major Android upgrade, without security upgrades and with spyware of one of the crippled China OS.

The big question that remains this year is what about Tensor 3. Will it be built on Samsung 3nm with GAA and can this node fulfill it's promise? If so there will be a phone with great battery life and performance, great software (I don't get those complaints about features missing which are usually all about launcher or software not hardware settings/options that you cannot add) and as always with google a great camera.

Or just wait for Xiaomi 13 Ultra to drop in price. Unlike apple, google and Samsung introductiory offers (which need at least half a year to be matched) Xiaomi in Europe always dropped in price quickly.

And yeah I wouldn't even buy another phone with China OS and root. Who knows what the OS does once you remove the obligatory spyware or heck even try to fully remove the China notifications system. I would prefer a global OS by Chinese manufacturer without root by a long way. If Honor has the same settings menu as Huawei in the past at least you get everything you need for enabling/disabling hardware components and a very good settings structure that is not unlogical and stacked like origin OS
(and yeah you can use stock android settings on origin OS but then many points with customary Integrations like battery are empty/non responding while others kick you into the horrible origin OS settings structure and stock settings have no search function. Still it's the only way to configure VPN or other stuff that vivo just removed from their settings)

extremecarver

Dec 4, 2009
However, if you can root the phone, you can (theoretically) identify any spyware. Which is why I think manufacturers that allow rooting are more trustworthy.
Well with Adguard log or similar and always on VPN (which exists on X90pp but is hidden) it's pretty easy without root to at least find the app that sends the data out. And with app ops and dumpsys you can find the apps that may collect data.
At least as long as we easily know which apps are the only ones that have legitimate connections with China (system update). So far there is no assumption they route spyware via US or EU servers.

And even if some are too stubborn to see a difference, there is a huge difference to privacy if just metadata is collected (EU/US approach so far) or actually all content of phone calls, messages and maybe even more (like passwords or content of your safe folder) as on China OS. And yeah the EU and their quest for messenger messages goes right in the direction of what is happening with a China OS, but so far luckily no law has even made it into EU parliament / US congress for voting. Should that happen the situation will again be different.

Even with root you could not help it if say origin OS decides to stop working as soon as you remove the spyware with root. Examples we have enough remove messages, phone or appstore or vivo account on origin OS and each will blow up certain functions. We cannot know what would happen with root if we managed to remove com.vibo.abe and push.notifications and the other 2-3 spyware apps. Quite likely at least after root becomes public next update will just brick the phone before you then reinstall the spyware.

mbfamily

Dec 30, 2022
Well with Adguard log or similar and always on VPN (which exists on X90pp but is hidden) it's pretty easy without root to at least find the app that sends the data out. And with app ops and dumpsys you can find the apps that may collect data.
At least as long as we easily know which apps are the only ones that have legitimate connections with China (system update)
Without root you can't even be sure that all data is routed through the VPN. Data could also be sent by the system itself or the system could be manipulated to allow some apps to access data without Android permissions. Without root you can never be sure.

extremecarver

Dec 4, 2009
Without root you can't even be sure that all data is routed through the VPN. Data could also be sent by the system itself or the system could be manipulated to allow some apps to access data without Android permissions. Without root you can never be sure.

I'm pretty sure that for right now on Origon OS the hidden only allow traffic through VPN option is working. I checked for traffic outside of it but it seemed fine. Various Vivo apps complain then about no internet so system so far does not circumvent this setting.
Vivo just chose to hide it from their normal settings menu but didn't tamper/remove it. They did that to some other security related settings too. It's always easier to just hide somethin in UI than to actually remove it because then on each android upgrade / security upgrade they would need to check back. Just removing an UI element will usually survive quite long as android is pretty stable on such things and doesn't just rename the hooks.

jericho246

Dec 19, 2015
TechTablets whose reviews are always very informative & valuable, just uploaded their full review of the Magic5 Pro

mbfamily

Dec 30, 2022
I'm pretty sure that for right now on Origon OS the hidden only allow traffic through VPN option is working. I checked for traffic outside of it but it seemed fine. Various Vivo apps complain then about no internet so system so far does not circumvent this setting.
Vivo just chose to hide it from their normal settings menu but didn't tamper/remove it. They did that to some other security related settings too. It's always easier to just hide somethin in UI than to actually remove it because then on each android upgrade / security upgrade they would need to check back. Just removing an UI element will usually survive quite long as android is pretty stable on such things and doesn't just rename the hooks.
How did you check for traffic outside of it? On Wifi you can check the traffic through your router, but on mobile data that would be quite hard to do. The Linux kernel could easily create a virtual network interface that would route spyware data around the VPN when mobile data is turned on.
I'm not saying Vivo is doing this. I don't think they need to. As long as they sell the phone in China only, they don't need to use any "advanced" spying tactics or even hide it, cause everyone knows the spyware is there anyway.
TechTablets whose reviews are always very informative & valuable, just uploaded their full review of the Magic5 Pro

(y)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well I have 470mah per hour surfing on 4G with lots of data, 400mah if little data (room light, not outdoors).. 5-6% /hour on WiFi which is better than your quoted 350maH and actually quite a lot better than most review websites. That's 235-260maH. But it's standby without WiFi and especially power use if outdoors and far away from cities (but close enough to have 1-2 cells) that drains this phone like no tomorrow. Though luckily standby did improve a bit on latest update too. Down to 0.8% per hour from 1.5% that it was on release and 1% the last month (that is really deep sleep, not average screen off).

And yeah about 1GB of 4G data equals 1% battery (with good reception, if outdoors with bad reception this can go up to 5% and thats really crazy, meaning google photos backup or similar will drain this phone if I don't switch off auto backup while being outdoors). I said already I consume 300-400GB mobile data a month so to me this really matters. My old p30pro was much better, as are phones that actually have the new Qualcomm x70 modem.
    In Italy we usually say that a man is making too much "mental masturbation" when all he does is create problems in his own head. What's the problem with battery?
    From what I see the Vivo X90 Pro Plus has a very good battery that lasts me more than 24 hours without problems despite using it a lot. Need more autonomy? Maybe you should take 2 phones or a power bank with you. :D Even with S23 Ultra do you think the battery life is double? it will last at most 1 hour more with screen on and I'm not even sure about this thing.

You must convince youselves that the perfect phone doesn't exist. I'm sure you won't be 100% happy also with S23U and Honor Magic 5 Pro.
    Looks like the much much better X90 Pro+ on first look.

Software Policy that promises 3 major android upgrades, 5 years of security updates vs nothing on Vivo (likely 1-2 major upgrades only). Caveat on MWC it was spotted with Android 12 out of the box - but the China OS version seems to be on Android 13. Very unlikely it will launch with Android 12.
    Software stability/notificatins: Yeah Huawei/Honor isn't top but way better than Vivo.
    Google: fully inbuilt on European model - no China OS spyware
    Sensor: Yes it's only 1/1.12" but it has F1.6 vs F1.8 so the natural bokeh will be pretty identical. Amount of light per pixel even slightly better
    Ultrawicde: a bit higher quality sensor,
    Selfie sensor: much better.
    Zoom: Identical but faster lens - so in theory also slightly better. F3.0 vs F3.5
    Camera software: well Huawei has always been top...
    Battery: 5100maH (Global version only, Chinese gets 5450) vs 4700 on X90..

Bluetooth: X90 Pro+ has 5.3 s 5.2 only on Huawei.
    Wifi: some special Wifi 6 promised - but both miss Wifi 6e and Wifi 7 as it looks now
    esim: Magic 5 Pro should come with e-sim and dual sim for Europe.

Price: 1200€ including VAT and warranty in Europa - price is for Germany.... (that's basically identical to China plus VAT)
    Price in China: The 90 Pro+ has today dropped today with vouchers to 4500RMB on JD (quite a drop from once 6999RMB even tough it was available at 6000 right from the start - Magic 5 Pro starts at 7473RMB - don't know about discounts... Clearly in China the X90Pro+ is a bargain vs the Magic 5 Pro in price right now. S23 Ultra goes for around 78000 RMB in China for the 512GB version.

Biggest default for Magic 5 Pro: concering camera: no variable aperture! This will hurt exactly the same as on X90 Pro+. Likely Xiaomi 13 Ultra will have the better main camera due to variable aperture on the IMX 989.
    Magic 5 Pro likely has small Ultrasonic fingerprint sensor only (however their face unlock should be safer - unlike Vivo that opens with a picture...)
    Hello , my lovely friend . Can i ask you again why you bought such a bad phone like the X90 pro plus ? what are you trying to prove here? I know i risk getting blocked soon because of you . Can you please tell me why on earth you still use the x90 pro plus? we got your point , its sh*t , you hate it . You are the only guy here who has this opinion .even so we respect that. Why do you use this phone if its so dissapointing to you ?
    Differences are big if you ask me . Turns out that the Magic 5 Pro its a overhyped product , camera wise . Just like the s23 Ultra .
    Cant believe my eyes how bad the ultrawide lens its on the Honor
    What about the bad software of the Vivo?
    I used both Xiaomi and Vivo . No competition for my taste , i prefer Vivo's OS way better .
    The sad thing is that he bought it thinking it was a battery phone but he is also complaing about photo quality even if in many comparison Vivo is better than S23U.
    He is complaining about battery , camera , design , modem , google services ( everybody knows the problems with chinese phones) . How is that possible ? How is that even being tolerated every single day its beyond my power of understanding . I get it peoples got opinions , i like criticism as long as its constructive and realistic . But he is literally aberrating . Im ready to be banned right now . Banned for speaking in the name of 99% of this forum .