[XAP] SMSBackup V0.9, Backup & Export SMS/MSN/Facebook Messages [Updated 2012-05-19]

Search This thread

kevyn82

Mar 2, 2011
Riva del Garda
OK, I see. The memory can't hold all your sms and msn messages(So OutOfMemory Exception is throw by the system). How large your store.vol is? I recommend you backup the messages using v0.7 and delete some old messages.

CommsBackup.xml is 10.5 MB
store.vol is 34.19 MB

Well, I don't really want to delete some old messages/ I'd rather backup store.vol manually than loosing some old text,
If your app can't handle such file I will not use it then

Take care

AlexStalker

Jan 28, 2007
Minsk
Can anyone help me with the problem:
I've flashed a new rom that set up sync with Google. After that tried to restore my data after that I've got the Google account being disappeared from the system while I've got my messages back and in contact app I've got all my contacts name but I can't access their profile. When I than added google acc. back I got duplicated contacts.
Is there any way to merge the data and got my info back in consistence?

Last edited:

kevyn82

Mar 2, 2011
Riva del Garda
Now it works perfectly.
I just found a small bug when exporting Facebook and msn chat with XML format: I get an error: impossible to export an empty file

FarCry3r

Oct 22, 2009
Hi, I've backup the PimIndex.vol and store.vol, flashed the NextGen+ ROM and do both way of restoring the files, but whenever I opened the Messaging and People app/hub, it goes back to the main screen and I'm not able to go to emails + accounts page, it just go back to the main screen. Any idea why?

FarCry3r

Oct 22, 2009
Hi, I've backup the PimIndex.vol and store.vol, flashed the NextGen+ ROM and do both way of restoring the files, but whenever I opened the Messaging and People app/hub, it goes back to the main screen and I'm not able to go to emails + accounts page, it just go back to the main screen. Any idea why?

OK I've managed to get my SMS and contacts back, but when I go to People hub to get posts from FB, there isn't any! It just blank and No matter how many times I press refresh it does nothing. Can anyone help?

pemahy

Oct 11, 2008
Could you please describe how to install this app? Is necessary to have "unlocked" OS? Thank You

MikeWalsh

Jun 22, 2007
Is it possible to write messages to the store that weren't a part of the original backup?

I mean, if I have a SMS backup from an Android phone stored in XML, and if I modify it to some compatible schema, is it possible to use your tool to write these messages to a new interup-unlocked Windows phone?

Thank you

sachlichfalsch

Oct 27, 2009
0.7 <-> 0.9

Hi,

in some old messages i have a Problem in v0.9 only one Numer is exported. No Problem in v0.7. First Number is my own Number.

V0.7 :

2011-05-09 23:35:23 from +491769xxxxxx;+4915204yyyyyy
TextTextTextTextText

V0.9 :

2011-05-09T23:35:23.000 from +4917696xxxxxx
TextTextTextTextText

This only happens in some SMS Messages from 2011 - The messages from 2012 are ok. Any Ideas ? I wouldnt't mind too much, but I'd prefer to have my SMS in csv File Format which is supportet from v0.9 :)

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:

theshowman

Aug 6, 2007
Hi
I just used v0.9 and backed up using Rainbow ROM v1.3 and restored to v1.4.

It seemed to have worked just fine, except, prior to restoring, I'd setup some email accounts.
Upon restore, those accounts this appeared, except the main "Windows Live" account.

All is good though - set those accounts up and up and running.

Thanks for your efforts.

vodoo

Nov 13, 2008
Hi all,

Phone - Acer Allegro M310 unlocked with:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1720377

After opening SMS Backup I`ve got: "Importing messages, please wait..." message.

After that: Import failed, Failed to provision xml SMSBackup.Core.Inrerop.ProvisionXML.Provisio...

Same for SMSBackup 0.7, 0.8 and 0.9

Pleas help :)

Maledict

May 12, 2009
1. if i sync with live account first restoring store.vol kinda screw up the people hub. The live tile doesn't show any pictures anymore and the contact photos get screwed up. ie, photo for contact A will show as contact B.

2. if i restore store.vol first and then sync live account then the word search in the people hub get screwed up. ie, contact John Doe is there but when i search for John no results. i can scroll to the contact open the contact but just doesn't show when searching.

anyone got any suggestions/solution would be much appreciated.

How do you get to add live account AFTER restoring store.vol first? Because after restoring, facebook and twitter account are also restored but not live account, and it's not possible to add/sync it anyway. I can select it in the "add account menu", type the password in, but after this it doesn't add neither the windows live account, nor hotmail live tile.

just wanted to report some things that happened while using v0.7 (not sure if these were reported already or not)

I followed the tutorial on page 1: (backed up store.vol and Pimindex.vol to my computer) flashed Pdaimatejam's v7.5 rom (Mango, not the new Tango one) and restored the files to BackupVols folder. I immediately rebooted, and re-synced my live account as instructed but I noticed my Facebook account said "Attention Required" and my Google account was missing. I deleted the facebook account, and re-added it without a problem.

Also, after restoring store.vol first, Facebook account gives me "attention required", but unlike soapbox23, I'm unable to delete it, it says "not possible to delete an account".

My device is Omnia 7 with latest mi7ROM. Thank you for any ideas. :)

[Introduction]

Thunder_ in XDA have found that windows phone itself has a backup mechanism, it may backup messages on a regular basis, and store it at "\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\BackupVols\CommsBackup.xml" (see this link), so we can take the file, extract it and then we get our messages. Before version 0.7, the app automatically copy the "CommsBackup.xml" to IsolateStorage and extract them to readable sms.

Since CommsBackup.xml is generated by the system, we can't controll it. We often get only part of our messages because CommsBackup.xml doesn't contain newest ones.

The sms/msn(also many other datas) in Windows Phone actually stored at "\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Stores\DeviceStore\store.vol". It is an EDB database. We can use native EDB API to explore and extract it. From Version 0.7, the app use this way to extract our messages and will never rely on CommsBackup.xml anymore:)

[Compatibility]

The app should be compatible with devices supported by WP7 Root Tools(need to mark the app as Trusted)
Also support fully-unlocked phones

[Features]

1. Automatically extract messages in store.vol, can sort messages by conversation or by sending time, can filter messages by contact, start/end date and keyword.
2. Export messages in txt/xml/csv format to IsolateStorage or SkyDrive.
If you export messages to IsolateStorage, you can use any IsolateStorage tool to download them to your computer.(The ID of this app is 09125ea9-95de-469a-aedc-22e35389ab0a);
If you export messages to SkyDrive, they will be uploaded to your SMS folder in SkyDrive(The folder is private, thus "just me")
3. Backup and restore "store.vol" and "PimIndex.vol", you can backup these two files before you flashing ROM and restore it later. This will keep your messages and contacts remain the same.(This feature is for professional users only)

[Versions History]

V0.9
1. Reduce memory usage(tested with 100,000 messages)
2. Speed up message importing process(faster than previous versions)
3. Add csv export option
4. Facebook messages will show Facebook friend's name(not the ID number in v0.8)
5. Switch backup mode(SMS or MSN) in Setting page.
V0.8
1. Add feature to backup MSN messages. You can switch backup mode(SMS or MSN) in the menu bar
2. Change UI of message list, looks more Metro now.
3. Improve contact identify algorithm.
4. Optimize the compatibility with WP7 Root Tools.
V0.7
1. Extract sms from store.vol directly, now you can backup and export all short messages and will never rely on CommsBackup.xml.
2. Optimize for fully-unlocked ROMs. If your phone is fully-unlocked, the app read store.vol directly; If your phone is interop-unlocked but not fully-unlocked, the app will copy store.vol to IsolateStorage and then read store.vol(because directly mount store.vol will cause Access Denied exception)
3. Add more setting options and remove exit confirm.
V0.6
1. Add support to backup and restore both store.vol and PimIndex.vol.
2. Increase max waiting time for file operation to 15 seconds(older version is 6 seconds). This may help those who have very big CommsBackup.xml or store.vol(>10MB)
3. In order to find how WP store contact's index in PimIndex.vol, I add a test feature(Click "test" in the menu bar) and need your feedbacks. Thanks!
V0.5
1. Add feature to export filtered messages. You can enable this in setting page.
2. Simplify setting page, no "save" button now.
3. Fix a bug in V0.4 which may show "import error: Value Does not fall within the expected range" when the app starts.
V0.4
1. Integrated with phone's contacts. For each message, the app will show contact's name if the phone number exists in any of the contacts, otherwise it will show pure number as before.
2. Add feature to filter sms. You can filter messages by contact, begin/end date and keyword. This will allow you search sms more quickly.
3. Add feature to restore system sms database store.vol, you can restore all sms and contacts after you flashing rom
4. Fix a bug when uploading txt to SkyDrive, the text document sometimes become incomplete or even blank.
Known bugs: Under certain conditions, it may show "import error: Value Does not fall within the expected range"
V0.3
1. Add double-language support(both en-US and zh-CN)
2. Fix the bug in V0.2 that the app may crash when uploading sms to SkyDrive
Known bugs: When uploading txt to SkyDrive, the text document sometimes become incomplete or even blank
V0.2
1. Add feature to export txt format
2. Add feature to upload sms to SkyDrive(some guys think IsolateStorage is not convenient)
3. Add feature to Backup system database "store.vol"
4. Fix some bugs that do not automatically update sms
Known bugs: the app may crash when uploading sms to SkyDrive

[Tutorial - How to backup and restore your sms]

The sms and contacts information(also many other datas) actually stored at "\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Stores\DeviceStore\store.vol". To backup and restore this file will keep our text messages remain the same. Also, there is a file in the same folder named PimIndex.vol which contains contacts' indexes. WP use it to search contacts. So you must also backup and restore this file.

Below is the methods:
1. Open SMSBackup app(version>=0.6), go to "Export & Backup" page, navigate to "Backup", there are two buttons for backup and two buttons for restore.
2. Click "Backup store.vol" button to backup "store.vol", then the file will be copied to "BackupVols/store.vol" in IsolateStorage, you can use any IsolateStorage tool to download it to your computer(the same with PimIndex.vol).
3. When you need to restore sms and contacts(for example, after flashing a new ROM), you find the store.vol and PimIndex.vol you have already backup in your computer, use IsolateStorage tool to upload the two files to BackupVols folder.
4. Open SMSBackup app and navigate to the same page in step 1. Click "Restore store.vol" button, then click "Restore PimIndex.vol". When both have executed. Restart your phone immediately.
Important Note(Updated 25/2/2012): If you flash a new ROM, please add/sync live account first and then restore store.vol and PimIndex.vol; After restoring, sync again. If you failed in this way, you can restore store.vol and PimIndex.vol first and then add/sync live account. Since we do not know how WP manage accounts and other infos, so different problems may happen after restoring. Feedbacks and suggestions on restoring feature are welcome.

Important Note: the restore feature in version 0.5 is not perfect. It can restore all text messages and contacts successfully. But you may encounter the problem with searching contacts or wrong profile pictures in the People Hub. Thanks to the feedbacks by kahiro, 2new, AshleyT. The reason is that we haven't backup and restore PimIndex.vol. Now I'm researching on how WP store contact's index. I think we can modify this file to add indexes by ourselves. every contact is a 12 bytes in PimIndex.vol. I don't know what it means. If you can help me, please open SMSBackup V0.6, Click "test" in the menu bar to navigate to a new page, then click "Get Contact Index Format" button and reply the format string it shows(for example 01-00-00-00-02-00-07-00-8E-00-00-00). Thanks!

There are some users say the app may crash when login or upload to SkyDrive while some others do not have this problem. I use Microsoft Live SDK to connect to SkyDrive, I do not know if the SDK have some compatibility issues. I'll continue to find if there is anything wrong. Thanks for your feedbacks.

At last, thanks to Thunder__ who find the CommsBackup.xml file and endeffekt who find the store.vol file (see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1072796); Thanks to the DiagProvXML app, I use the COM libraries to copy native files in early versions. Thanks Heathcliff74's wonderful guide on native code. Thanks to GoodDayToDie, he gave me good suggestions and idea.

Early versions download stats
V0.3 - 1897 views
V0.4 - 830 views
V0.5 - 1922 views
V0.6 - 1322 views

:(
not working.its giving error 08xxxx.....while deploying the app to phone..
i m on samsung omnia w version 7.5
please help me....
thanks in advance

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
OK, here's some help: If you want people to help you, don't piss them off by quoting the entire wall-of-text first post!
Here's some more help: If you want people to actually be able to provide a solution to your error, you have to give them the whole error number...

Reactions: bhutoria_1989

DavidinCT

Jun 2, 2006
Someplace in CT
Here is possably a dumb question. I backed up my store.vol and PimIndex.vol files and moved them off my phone. I flashed a new rom. I only have a file manager on the phone.

I copied the files to the \temp folder for the time being. What is the exact folder I can move it into restore them from the root folder ? Not sure how to access the folder from a file manager on the phone

Edit: Never mind found my answer here...

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23283648&postcount=149

Worked perfect... awsome, Just wish picture messaging came over with it and it would be perfect..... Thank you for this (I hit thanks on the first post)

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Jun 2, 2006
Someplace in CT
ok, I have tried this but, I have an issue. I backed up (see above), and flashed a new rom, setup all accounts, synced contacts, so everything was setup as it should (contacts are from an exchange server) then restored fine. I see all the messages fine in messagaing. When someone replies to a text message, it creates a new thread for it. So now I have 2 threads for each contact I repied to or got a reply from.

Is it possable to combine these so I dont have 2 threads for each person or is this just how it works ?

HeartKiller

Jan 10, 2010
Restore from txt file

Hi gyus I haven't created backup files store.vol and Primindex.vol I just exported my sms messages on sky drive, is there any way to restore my messages form that file without having store.vol and Primindex.vol or is there any way i can generate store.vol and Primindex.vol from my sms txt file?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [XAP] SMSBackup V0.9, Backup & Export SMS/MSN/Facebook Messages [Updated 2012-05-19]

[Introduction]

Thunder_ in XDA have found that windows phone itself has a backup mechanism, it may backup messages on a regular basis, and store it at "\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\BackupVols\CommsBackup.xml" (see this link), so we can take the file, extract it and then we get our messages. Before version 0.7, the app automatically copy the "CommsBackup.xml" to IsolateStorage and extract them to readable sms.

Since CommsBackup.xml is generated by the system, we can't controll it. We often get only part of our messages because CommsBackup.xml doesn't contain newest ones.

The sms/msn(also many other datas) in Windows Phone actually stored at "\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Stores\DeviceStore\store.vol". It is an EDB database. We can use native EDB API to explore and extract it. From Version 0.7, the app use this way to extract our messages and will never rely on CommsBackup.xml anymore:)

[Compatibility]

The app should be compatible with devices supported by WP7 Root Tools(need to mark the app as Trusted)
    Also support fully-unlocked phones

[Features]

1. Automatically extract messages in store.vol, can sort messages by conversation or by sending time, can filter messages by contact, start/end date and keyword.
    2. Export messages in txt/xml/csv format to IsolateStorage or SkyDrive.
    If you export messages to IsolateStorage, you can use any IsolateStorage tool to download them to your computer.(The ID of this app is 09125ea9-95de-469a-aedc-22e35389ab0a);
    If you export messages to SkyDrive, they will be uploaded to your SMS folder in SkyDrive(The folder is private, thus "just me")
    3. Backup and restore "store.vol" and "PimIndex.vol", you can backup these two files before you flashing ROM and restore it later. This will keep your messages and contacts remain the same.(This feature is for professional users only)

[Versions History]

V0.9
    1. Reduce memory usage(tested with 100,000 messages)
    2. Speed up message importing process(faster than previous versions)
    3. Add csv export option
    4. Facebook messages will show Facebook friend's name(not the ID number in v0.8)
    5. Switch backup mode(SMS or MSN) in Setting page.
    V0.8
    1. Add feature to backup MSN messages. You can switch backup mode(SMS or MSN) in the menu bar
    2. Change UI of message list, looks more Metro now.
    3. Improve contact identify algorithm.
    4. Optimize the compatibility with WP7 Root Tools.
    V0.7
    1. Extract sms from store.vol directly, now you can backup and export all short messages and will never rely on CommsBackup.xml.
    2. Optimize for fully-unlocked ROMs. If your phone is fully-unlocked, the app read store.vol directly; If your phone is interop-unlocked but not fully-unlocked, the app will copy store.vol to IsolateStorage and then read store.vol(because directly mount store.vol will cause Access Denied exception)
    3. Add more setting options and remove exit confirm.
    V0.6
    1. Add support to backup and restore both store.vol and PimIndex.vol.
    2. Increase max waiting time for file operation to 15 seconds(older version is 6 seconds). This may help those who have very big CommsBackup.xml or store.vol(>10MB)
    3. In order to find how WP store contact's index in PimIndex.vol, I add a test feature(Click "test" in the menu bar) and need your feedbacks. Thanks!
    V0.5
    1. Add feature to export filtered messages. You can enable this in setting page.
    2. Simplify setting page, no "save" button now.
    3. Fix a bug in V0.4 which may show "import error: Value Does not fall within the expected range" when the app starts.
    V0.4
    1. Integrated with phone's contacts. For each message, the app will show contact's name if the phone number exists in any of the contacts, otherwise it will show pure number as before.
    2. Add feature to filter sms. You can filter messages by contact, begin/end date and keyword. This will allow you search sms more quickly.
    3. Add feature to restore system sms database store.vol, you can restore all sms and contacts after you flashing rom
    4. Fix a bug when uploading txt to SkyDrive, the text document sometimes become incomplete or even blank.
    Known bugs: Under certain conditions, it may show "import error: Value Does not fall within the expected range"
    V0.3
    1. Add double-language support(both en-US and zh-CN)
    2. Fix the bug in V0.2 that the app may crash when uploading sms to SkyDrive
    Known bugs: When uploading txt to SkyDrive, the text document sometimes become incomplete or even blank
    V0.2
    1. Add feature to export txt format
    2. Add feature to upload sms to SkyDrive(some guys think IsolateStorage is not convenient)
    3. Add feature to Backup system database "store.vol"
    4. Fix some bugs that do not automatically update sms
    Known bugs: the app may crash when uploading sms to SkyDrive

[Tutorial - How to backup and restore your sms]

The sms and contacts information(also many other datas) actually stored at "\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Stores\DeviceStore\store.vol". To backup and restore this file will keep our text messages remain the same. Also, there is a file in the same folder named PimIndex.vol which contains contacts' indexes. WP use it to search contacts. So you must also backup and restore this file.

Below is the methods:
    1. Open SMSBackup app(version>=0.6), go to "Export & Backup" page, navigate to "Backup", there are two buttons for backup and two buttons for restore.
    2. Click "Backup store.vol" button to backup "store.vol", then the file will be copied to "BackupVols/store.vol" in IsolateStorage, you can use any IsolateStorage tool to download it to your computer(the same with PimIndex.vol).
    3. When you need to restore sms and contacts(for example, after flashing a new ROM), you find the store.vol and PimIndex.vol you have already backup in your computer, use IsolateStorage tool to upload the two files to BackupVols folder.
    4. Open SMSBackup app and navigate to the same page in step 1. Click "Restore store.vol" button, then click "Restore PimIndex.vol". When both have executed. Restart your phone immediately.
    Important Note(Updated 25/2/2012): If you flash a new ROM, please add/sync live account first and then restore store.vol and PimIndex.vol; After restoring, sync again. If you failed in this way, you can restore store.vol and PimIndex.vol first and then add/sync live account. Since we do not know how WP manage accounts and other infos, so different problems may happen after restoring. Feedbacks and suggestions on restoring feature are welcome.

Important Note: the restore feature in version 0.5 is not perfect. It can restore all text messages and contacts successfully. But you may encounter the problem with searching contacts or wrong profile pictures in the People Hub. Thanks to the feedbacks by kahiro, 2new, AshleyT. The reason is that we haven't backup and restore PimIndex.vol. Now I'm researching on how WP store contact's index. I think we can modify this file to add indexes by ourselves. every contact is a 12 bytes in PimIndex.vol. I don't know what it means. If you can help me, please open SMSBackup V0.6, Click "test" in the menu bar to navigate to a new page, then click "Get Contact Index Format" button and reply the format string it shows(for example 01-00-00-00-02-00-07-00-8E-00-00-00). Thanks!

There are some users say the app may crash when login or upload to SkyDrive while some others do not have this problem. I use Microsoft Live SDK to connect to SkyDrive, I do not know if the SDK have some compatibility issues. I'll continue to find if there is anything wrong. Thanks for your feedbacks.

At last, thanks to Thunder__ who find the CommsBackup.xml file and endeffekt who find the store.vol file (see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1072796); Thanks to the DiagProvXML app, I use the COM libraries to copy native files in early versions. Thanks Heathcliff74's wonderful guide on native code. Thanks to GoodDayToDie, he gave me good suggestions and idea.

Early versions download stats
    V0.3 - 1897 views
    V0.4 - 830 views
    V0.5 - 1922 views
    V0.6 - 1322 views
    Working fine on NextGen+ ROM, HD7.

I'm wipping together a small tool to read the exported txt files.
    Should be finished soon

RY7ua.jpg
    THX for your useful reply. I know there are some problems with LG ProvXML. I hope and wait for the next version of SMSBackup. So you suggest to backup these files manually. Is it possibile with WP7 Root Tools ? Can you write me the path of these two files ? THX in advance ;)

Path of the two files:
    \Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Stores\DeviceStore\store.vol
    \Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Stores\DeviceStore\PimIndex.vol

Now new version(V0.8) is available, you can try this version to backup these two files. Let me know if it works.
    GoodDayToDie,

Thanks for pointing that out.
    Both the phones are mine & both have been registered with the same WLID.
    I wanted to test restoring SMS from my primary device (HD7) to the Samsung Focus. Both of these are currently running DFT Freedom ROMs.
    Perhaps I understood wrongly where the IsolateStorage actually is.
    I use WMDC enabler to browse the phone's storage & made manual backups from the HD7 & copied them to the Samsung Focus.
    Is that correct?

Konker

Yes. Before you restore, you should install and open SMSBackup app first. Then you can use any IsolateStorage tool to upload your backup store.vol and PimIndex.vol to BackupVols folder of my app's IsolateStorage(09125ea9-95de-469a-aedc-22e35389ab0a).

I've attach an image to show where you should put your backup files, hope you understand.
    Tester needed

Update to version 0.6. This version allows you backup and restore both store.vol and PimIndex.vol.

Now I'm researching on how WP store contact's index in PimIndex.vol. Every contact appears in the database is a fixed length array of byte. The length is 12. For example 01-00-00-00-02-00-07-00-8E-00-00-00.

Now, I find that 8E(142) is the unique ID of the corresponding contact(in Contact table of store.vol). But I am not sure that every phone is the same. Also, if the contact's ID is larger than 256, for example 257(I only have 200 contacts...), how the array will like to be. 01-00-00-00-02-00-07-01-01-00-00-00 or 01-00-00-00-02-00-07-00-01-01-00-00 or something else...

So I add a test feature in v0.6(Click "test" in the menu bar). I need your feedbacks, thanks!