[XAP][SOURCE][ROOT] XapHandler (RELEASE for Root Tools or full-unlock!)

Search This thread

Leapo

Jan 15, 2011
I whipped up some icons real quick since you were still using the default ones. I would have made a splash screen as well... but the app loads so fast, I decided to just disable the splash screen entirely.

Preview image (large and small icons):
OKvT4.png

Original PNG's with transparency are attached (a bit hard to see on the forum background, heh). Feel free to integrate them into your app if you like them :D

Attachments

• ApplicationIcon.png
    ApplicationIcon.png
    225 bytes · Views: 696
  • Background.png
    Background.png
    959 bytes · Views: 54
Last edited:

dotcompt

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 24, 2008
Porto
twitter.com
Hi GoodDayToDie,

Instead of a cosmetic effect and since it is not possible to get information from the XAP installation , you could use a simple message like:
. when you press the clean install button - "Please wait, clean install in progress"
. when you press the Update button - "Please wait, update in progress"

You can use that empty space right above the clean install and the update buttons to put these messages.

Again, this is just a way to avoid users to think the app has frozzen during the installation process.

I could help a bit but I have VS2010 and I´ve got the System.IO.FileLoadException error when open the sln file (I´ve already changed the WMAppManifest.xml with the ID_CAPs), so I think I need VS2008. :(

Btw; those things you are considering are simply clever, specially option A, I like it.

Thanks

ultrashot

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 26, 2009
St.Petersburg
@dotcompt: I'd love to, and if I find a way, I will. Unfortunately, I get no information from the XAP installation code of the install progress. I could add a purely cosmetic effect, but there's no way to tell (until finished) how long the installation will take.
There is a way to get progress. I will share info later.

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
@Leapo: Icons and/or splash would be good, yes. Such cosmetic things tend to be lower priority for me; I actually started trying to make an icon somewhat like what WPDM uses for XAP files before deciding it was more important to just publish first. They'll come in time, though; thanks for offering suggestions as it would be great to be able to just insert the files and go...

@dotcompt: There are two solution files, one is for 2010 and one is for 2008. The 2010 one should be openable if you have the WP7.1 SDK installed (you'll also need the interopservices DLL if you want it to compile). The native solution will only work in 2008, although you could cetainly edit the C++ in 2010 if you want.

@ultrashot: That would be awesome! Obviously the OS itself has access to the progress, but if you know the right API call that would be great.

Last edited:
Reactions: dotcompt

dotcompt

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 24, 2008
Porto
twitter.com
@dotcompt: There are two solution files, one is for 2010 and one is for 2008. The 2010 one should be openable if you have the WP7.1 SDK installed (you'll also need the interopservices DLL if you want it to compile). The native solution will only work in 2008, although you could cetainly edit the C++ in 2010 if you want.

I´ve got it working now, my bad.
I´ll play with your code and see what I come up.

That would be outstanding.
Thanks

wpxbox

Oct 24, 2011
Kolkata
Can you point me to right dowload. All it downloads is ZIP file which does not have the XAP file. Thanks.

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Yeah, some weird change (I'm not sure if it's in the forum software or in IE) has recently started causing XAP files to download with the .ZIP extension by default. i don't know why; I looked at the actual traffic and it's definitely still given as a .XAP file. I just use Save As when downloading files and fix the extension myself.

If you look inside the "Zip" file, it should be immediately obvious that it's actually a XAP, being full of files like WMAppManifest.xml and WPInteropManifest.xml and so forth.

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
"I get error" is one of the most phenomenally useless bug reports I've personally received, but in this case I think I know what the problem is. I haven't had a lot of time to work on this recently, but there are some known bugs (and one of them involves apps with spaces in the name, like this one) that I can probably fix.

Reactions: nipungupta7

majkeljj

Nov 28, 2007
hehe;) I know,stupid sentence but I wrote from pone and dont have possibility to make screenshot.try to install.

ultrashot

May 26, 2009
St.Petersburg
As i promised, new application interaction api is in progress and it has a bunch of new possibilities. It consists of everything I actually digged to date.
What's done currently:
  • Deployment tools - installing, updating, uninstalling.
  • Progress notifications :)
  • App launch functions
  • Foreground app check
  • Application information viewer
  • App enumeration
also i am remaking Xap Deployer's silverlight ui from the scratch.

Last edited:

JamesAllen

Mar 10, 2007
NJ
App Title Wrong

This is not your issue but maybe you can help. Many apps installed using this great tool and up with crazy names in the app list. I believe this is due to incorrect information in the wmappmanifest.xml under "Title". If this is spotted, it would be great to change the title prior to deploying the cap.

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
@ultrashot: Sounds fantastic! Are you writing an installable XAP that will be usable on stock ROMs, or just updating the EXE version? If it's the latter (and possibly the former anyhow) it would be great to get an update to the library code. Thanks!!

ultrashot

May 26, 2009
St.Petersburg
@ultrashot: Sounds fantastic! Are you writing an installable XAP that will be usable on stock ROMs, or just updating the EXE version? If it's the latter (and possibly the former anyhow) it would be great to get an update to the library code. Thanks!!
you know - xapdeployer can be built either as exe or as lib ;)
I develop its interop library, managed class and silverlight ui too.

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Just wondering whether you're going to create a XAP for the new version of the XapDeployer code or if I should do that. Homebrew EXEs don't work on stock ROMs, even with WP7 Root Tools. "Silverlight UI" suggests a XAP, but it *could* also be done from an EXE if you wanted to. Just checking!

novinsab

Mar 21, 2010
Pune
www.dentalspaces.com
Hi,

I'm getting an error when trying to install any xap file from IE9 (haven't tried other methods).

The error message screen capture can be viewed at https://skydrive.live.com/redir.asp...id=676E45E6610CF2B8!107&authkey=!yTkHq6Hpj*M$

I'm using Samsung Focus v1.3 on Rogers firmware with 8107 update.

I'm also using bazaar which can install apps without any error.

And yes! Previledges are set with root tools and association works perfect too.

Thanks

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
@novinsab: That's... unexpected. Thanks for reporting the problem. Can you identify the XAP(s) that are giving the problem, so I can try to reproduce the error on my own phone? Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi folks,

FIRST RELEASE:
    Wow, lots of bugs that needed fixing. There are still some things I'd like to improve, but they can wait. This is officially the first release of XapHandler, for stock ROMs with WP7 Root Tools, and optionally for custom ROMs as well.

INSTRUCTIONS:
    1) Install XapHandler.
    2) Run WP7 Root Tools.
    3) Pivot to Policies, and set XapHandler as trusted (stock ROMs only).
    4) Run XapHandler.
    5) When prompted to set the file association, hit OK.
    6) Exit XapHandler.
    7) Open a XAP file from email, IE, or an app.
    8) Check the data about the app given in XapHandler.
    9) If the app is already installed and you want to do a clean install, exit XapHanderl and delete the app from your phone normally, then open the XAP file again.
    10) Hit the Clean Install or Update button.
    11) Wait for the Success message box.
    12) Close XapHandler.

SOURCE CODE:
    I don't have permission to release the actual XAP installation source code, which is from @ultrashot. Therefore, the source release just contains a pre-compiled static library (it's the same code as is used in the native XAP installer on custom ROMs, and the Bazaar app). You're able to build the full app, though.

The app has two parts: the native ARM DLL that has the COM library and does the actual installation, and the C#/Silverlight WP7 app that provides the UI and calls the COM library. You should unpack both parts to the same folder. Then, build the native part first (requires Visual Studio 2008 with the Windows Mobile 6.5 compiler). This will copy the native DLL into the managed app. Make sure the managed app includes the COM DLL, and then build it to produce a XAP file.

PROBLEMS:
    If you have any issues, please report the following info:
    A) Your phone model.
    B) Your ROM (including version and firmware)
    C) The problems or exception messageboxes you encountered.

RESTORING THE REGISTRY:
    For stock ROMs, if you want to put the registry back the way it was so XAP files open in the built-in XAP handler of your custom ROM:
    1) Open a registry editor
    2) Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT (HKCR)\.xap
    3) Change the default value back to what it used to be
    3.1) The original value on most custom ROMs should be "xapfile" which is the same value the app uses; don't panic if it's unchanged!
    3.2) The old default value *should* be backed up in a registry value simply called "0"
    4) If there's a value called 0, delete it
    5) Go to HKCR\<originalClassName>
    5.1) For most people, that's HKCR\xapfile
    6) Change the default value back to what it used to be
    6.1) The original value on most custom ROMs should be empty
    6.2) This step is not important; the value is cosmetic and intended for the user
    6.3) The old default value *should* be backed up in a registry value simply called "0"
    7) If there's a value called 0, delete it
    8) If you have a registry key called BrowseInPlace (eg. HKCR\xapfile\BrowseInPlace) you can delete it
    8.1) I don't *think* it'll hurt anything if left, though
    9) Set the registry value EditFlags to DWORD 65536 (0x00010000)
    9.1) This value is set by release versions of XapHandler
    9.2) If the value is missing, create it with the data listed above
    10) Go into the registry keys "shell", "open", and "command"
    10.1) For example, HKCR\xapfile\shell\open\command
    11) Change the default value back to what it used to be
    11.1) The default value on most custom ROMs should be "XAPDeployer.exe "%1"" (remove first and last quotes)
    11.3) The old default value *should* be backed up in a registry value simply called "0"
    12) If there's a value called 0, delete it
    13) If you had to change anything in step 3, go to HKCR
    13.1) Don't do this step if you didn't have to change anything in step 3!
    14) Delete HKCR\xapfile and all its contents
    14.1) This step isn't needed, just cleanup
    14.2) Don't do this step unless you had a different original progID than "xapfile"!

Have fun!

Please feel free to include this app in WP7 homebrew collections or custom ROMs, so long as the Author attribution is not removed.

Total downloads of the test versions: 330.
    As i promised, new application interaction api is in progress and it has a bunch of new possibilities. It consists of everything I actually digged to date.
    What's done currently:
    • Deployment tools - installing, updating, uninstalling.
    • Progress notifications :)
    • App launch functions
    • Foreground app check
    • Application information viewer
    • App enumeration
    also i am remaking Xap Deployer's silverlight ui from the scratch.
    Little preview of new xap deployer. What do you think about it?
    Progressbar is in statusbar - hard to catch it :)
    XapHandler first release version is out! I've fixed a number of bugs (setting association correctly in the registry, hitting Update, blocking Clean Install if it's already installed, more informative messages). I've also removed HtcRoot to save space.

This release also comes with source code. The actual XAP installation code is not owned by me, and its developer (@Ultrashot) requested that I not share the source to it, so that part is a pre-compiled static library. The source to everything else is included, though.

Tested on interop-unlocked HTC HD7 with WP7 Root Tools v0.9. Setting the file association, opening from IE, doing installs, and doing updates have all been tested successfully.
    @dotcompt: I'd love to, and if I find a way, I will. Unfortunately, I get no information from the XAP installation code of the install progress. I could add a purely cosmetic effect, but there's no way to tell (until finished) how long the installation will take.