XCEED :: [KERNEL] :: [AOSP/Stock/PureNexus] :: [v9.xx / Android 7.1.2]

Search This thread

cheep5k8

Sep 26, 2012
Berlin
Exceed the limitations /// XCEED kernel
Only for Pixel C

If this technology provides value to you a donation for the time spent creating it is very welcome!

xceed1xa.jpg

xceed2x.jpg

xceed3z.jpg

NOTE: The screenshots are actual screenshots from my Pixel C, though your mileage might slightly vary.

DOWNLOAD LINK:

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=172973

But please make sure you first read the....

:: IMPORTANT WARNINGS

• If you want to flash SuperSU, you MUST use at least version 2.72, which has support for ChromeOS boot images. Under no circumstances flash any version of SuperSU below 2.72!
  • Do not set the min CPU frequency below 204 MHz in Kernel Adiutor, etc. This will most likely not work properly and lead to unintended sideeffects like video/audio tearing up in playback and possibly random reboots. Before reporting any issues make sure you did not set the min CPU freq below 204 MHz

:: INSTRUCTIONS

:: G+ community

:: THANKS

• TeamWin (_that, DeesTroy) for giving me the right pointers to port TWRP
  • Chainfire, for making SuperSU
  • Stephen and Furquan from ChromiumOS
  • @phhusson for help with diverse topics
  • @oRAirwolf for fantastic installation instructions

and everyone else

:: SOURCE

Last edited:

tw1tch175

Dec 28, 2010
I am unencrypted and have flashed the boot.img multiple times but SuperSU isn't installed. I tried installing it manually and it says no binary installed.

cheep5k8

Sep 26, 2012
Berlin
I am unencrypted and have flashed the boot.img multiple times but SuperSU isn't installed. I tried installing it manually and it says no binary installed.

Might be that you need the right SuperSU app installed. The su binaries, etc, are in the boot image, but whatever app you're using isn't looking in the right place. Maybe if you try indeed reflashing 2.66 in TWRP, SuperSU might detect that the kernel is already patched and just install the necessary app (I will test it all over after wiping my Pixel C clean).

dkryder

Sep 26, 2013
Google Pixel 3a
Google Pixel 5a
hello. the boot image appears to be working here also. thank you.
i also had to flash the supersu 2.66 linked above. thanks to tw1tch175 for the heads up and link.
i'll second motion you need donate tab.

ZiggSVO

tw1tch175

Dec 28, 2010
You get force closes after uninstalling an app or trying to uninstall an app? Does it actually finish and only has that slight hiccup or does it further hamper things after uninstalling an app?

It crashes before it starts. I've tried the stock way and through Titanium Backup.

Boot into TWRP and wipe the cache (seriously this time!). That fixes it.

I'll try it again, getting tired of hearing that beep on the 30 second lockout screen :p

Edit: No dice still crashes

Last edited:

cheep5k8

Sep 26, 2012
Berlin
It crashes before it starts. I've tried the stock way and through Titanium Backup.

I'll try it again, getting tired of hearing that beep on the 30 second lockout screen :p

Edit: No dice still crashes

That fixed it for me, I'll take another look. (Yeah that 30 second boot lockout is very annoying.)

EDIT: It must have been a coincidence. I wiped the cache, and right after that I could uninstall apps. Now it's broken again, and wiping cache does NOT fix it. I'm looking into it.

Last edited:
Reactions: brando56894

tw1tch175

Dec 28, 2010
That fixed it for me, I'll take another look. (Yeah that 30 second boot lockout is very annoying.)

EDIT: It must have been a coincidence. I wiped the cache, and right after that I could uninstall apps. Now it's broken again, and wiping cache does NOT fix it. I'm looking into it.

I'm not sure TWRP is actually wiping cache properly. If I clear cache and dalvik cache it runs way too fast and I don't get the "Upgrading apps...." when booting.

dkryder

Sep 26, 2013
Google Pixel 3a
Google Pixel 5a
i'm not seeing the crash from uninstalling. but i do have a question, do you also get the crash when accessing the securities setting, settings/security? a suggestion would be to do storage & usb/cached data wipe. also, try using play store to uninstall and see what result is

cheep5k8

Sep 26, 2012
Berlin
i'm not seeing the crash from uninstalling. but i do have a question, do you also get the crash when accessing the securities setting, settings/security? a suggestion would be to do storage & usb/cached data wipe. also, try using play store to uninstall and see what result is

There is an issue with the keystore service and TLK (nvidia's hardware security stuff). So far no luck, looked into it for the past hour or so but to no avail yet. I'm staying on it.

dkryder

Sep 26, 2013
Google Pixel 3a
Google Pixel 5a
i think there may be a work around for this if in fact what i'm gonna suggest has anything to do with it but in this post
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=64535045&postcount=68
superchilpil gives a link for a modified vendor image that resolved the settings/security crash. that was happening
in another modified boot image thread. anyway i am using it now.
as i said before, i'm not seeing the uninstall crashes. i'm not going to say it is a workaround because i do not know for
a fact, but, it is the only thing i can think may be different between what my setup is and what others may be.

Last edited:

ZiggSVO

i think there may be a work around for this if in fact what i'm gonna suggest has anything to do with it but in this post
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=64535045&postcount=68
superchilpil gives a link for a modified vendor image that resolved the settings/security crash. that was happening
in another modified boot image thread. anyway i am using it now.
as i said before, i'm not seeing the uninstall crashes. i'm not going to say it is a workaround because i do not know for
a fact, but, it is the only thing i can think may be different between what my setup is and what others may be.

fastboot flash vendor xxx.img
results in

ADB and Fastboot>fastboot flash vendor ryu-vendor.img
target reported max download size of 268435456 bytes
erasing 'vendor'...
FAILED (remote: unsupported command)
finished. total time: 0.009s

tw1tch175

Dec 28, 2010
fastboot flash vendor xxx.img
results in

ADB and Fastboot>fastboot flash vendor ryu-vendor.img
target reported max download size of 268435456 bytes
erasing 'vendor'...
FAILED (remote: unsupported command)
finished. total time: 0.009s

Mine is not telling my this for all fastboot commands :(

For some reason my bootloader version is Google_Smaug.7132.239.0 and it won't let me update using fastboot

Just used getvar and for some reason secure is set to yes

Last edited:

cheep5k8

Sep 26, 2012
Berlin
Mine is not telling my this for all fastboot commands :(

For some reason my bootloader version is Google_Smaug.7132.239.0 and it won't let me update using fastboot

Just used getvar and for some reason secure is set to yes

I'm having the same problem after flashing SuperSU 2.66. I think "secure: yes" just means that secure boot is enabled/possible, but I'm not entirely sure there.

EDIT:

"fastboot flashing get_unlock_ability" returns '1', so it means the bootloader can be unlocked (??)

There's still the option to run "fastboot flashing unlock_critical", but I'm a bit wary of that right now.

Last edited:

tw1tch175

Dec 28, 2010
I'm having the same problem after flashing SuperSU 2.66. I think "secure: yes" just means that secure boot is enabled/possible, but I'm not entirely sure there.

EDIT:

"fastboot flashing get_unlock_ability" returns '1', so it means the bootloader can be unlocked (??)

There's still the option to run "fastboot flashing unlock_critical", but I'm a bit wary of that right now.
"Unknown command"

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Exceed the limitations /// XCEED kernel
    Only for Pixel C

If this technology provides value to you a donation for the time spent creating it is very welcome!

xceed1xa.jpg

xceed2x.jpg

xceed3z.jpg

NOTE: The screenshots are actual screenshots from my Pixel C, though your mileage might slightly vary.

DOWNLOAD LINK:

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=172973

But please make sure you first read the....

:: IMPORTANT WARNINGS

• If you want to flash SuperSU, you MUST use at least version 2.72, which has support for ChromeOS boot images. Under no circumstances flash any version of SuperSU below 2.72!
    • Do not set the min CPU frequency below 204 MHz in Kernel Adiutor, etc. This will most likely not work properly and lead to unintended sideeffects like video/audio tearing up in playback and possibly random reboots. Before reporting any issues make sure you did not set the min CPU freq below 204 MHz

:: INSTRUCTIONS

:: G+ community

:: THANKS

• TeamWin (_that, DeesTroy) for giving me the right pointers to port TWRP
    • Chainfire, for making SuperSU
    • Stephen and Furquan from ChromiumOS
    • @phhusson for help with diverse topics
    • @oRAirwolf for fantastic installation instructions

and everyone else

:: SOURCE

Hey guys,

xceed 9.00 based on Android 7.1.2 kernel is here! Find all info in the first post.

Cheers

EDIT:

Maybe a few words of explanation for why it took so long; I think I owe everyone an explanation lest everyone just stops using this kernel...

The main reason was that the guys running my previous build server simply cancelled it and everything on it was deleted; the most important stuff was safe on github, but the general setup and additional changes were only present on the build server. A lof of what makes your build setup work simply lies in the structure of everything set up, as surely everyone building kernels or AOSP knows, and that was all gone.

I was quite fussed off about that, and at the beginning didn't feel like getting back to make a new setup just then. Work was very time-consuming and stressful, and so it just lingered on. Even though I never abandoned the tablet in my heart, I just couldn't get around to create a new build setup, either because of time constraints or because I was still bummed about the original build server.

Then today I just kinda synced the AOSP source code and went from there...

I'm sincerely sorry that these personal circumstances led to this project, and all of you being abandoned for a year or so.

I now have an independent setup for the kernel on my Macbook and am in the process of backing everything up onto github so that a restart from scratch, should it be neccessary, should become mostly painless.

Maybe the one or other Pixel C owner still finds this project useful. I personally would be very grateful, and happy about someone cherishing my work!

That said, whatever the ROM or kernel of your choice, we're all Pixel C users, and even though this tablet has been mostly abandoned by Google when it wasn't supported that well from the start, we're going to keep it alive for a long time to come. I am sure.
    Hey guys,

I just wanted to say I'm not dead, and neither is the xceed kernel project. There's just been a LOT going on, I couldn't even begin to explain if I wanted... anyhow, I'll be launching my own first paid app this weekend and hopefully I'll get around to rebuilding the kernel as well.. if not this weekend, then rather soonish either way.. it's been long overdue.

Thanks everyone for sticking around, you won't get disappointed by yet another dev simply leaving. Promise.
    Hey guys, it's been a while :)

Great to see other devs coming to this device, and great to see an actual full custom ROM ported (thanks goes to @NYCHitman1).

I've been way busy with a lot of stuff, of course mainly work but also Android sideprojects. I've developed a pretty awesome unzipping app for Android.

You might think how can an unzipping app be "cool"... well let's just say that I think that most ZIP apps for Android suck and that a good app should assist you a little during the process and not just show you a screen that looks like WinZip on Windows 95 with a zillion options and then leave it to you to handle it. I plan on putting it on the Play Store somewhen-ish next week.

But, to the Pixel C. I think I'll be focusing on Android N from here on out, as the N Preview 3 is really pretty good as far as a beta goes and sooner than we realize we'll be leaving Marshmallow-land on the Pixel C for good anyway.

So the next builds of xceed will be, also because of my rather limited time (of which I'd dearly like to have more), for Android N only.

First I need to get this new app into the playstore, then the week after I'll dedicate my development to the xceed kernel and the Pixel C again.

I hope you're all having a great time!

Over & Out (for now)
    Thanks for this kernel @cheep5k8. Just so you know -- I decided to go balls to the wall and manually flashed SU 2.71 in TWRP, which did indeed give me root.

Just fooling around a little while I get a DU build ready for Dragon, which I'm sure everyone will enjoy.

Side note: is Dragon's kernel source using third_party/chromeos-3.18 or another branch?