• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

XenForo 2.2 Upgrade! Post Bugs, Issues and Comments Here

Search This thread

woodman

Senior Moderator / Moderator & RC-RT Committees
Staff member
Jul 21, 2012
France
OnePlus 7T
So many XDA Forum threads that I can't keep up, hopefully this is the correct one.

Searching didn't help. I just noticed that the badges are gone. Why is that?
I assume they temporarily removed them because it was not ready yet. It's still beta. Possibly, it was causing issues. Dunno.

Last edited:

woodman

Staff member
Jul 21, 2012
France
OnePlus 7T

tiho5

Jun 21, 2010
Bulgaria
I have reported this before and excuse me for doing it again.
I don't use the app. I want to get emails only when quoted or mentioned. This is imperative for a commutation on sites such as this one.

Reactions: rsngfrce

woodman

Staff member
Jul 21, 2012
France
OnePlus 7T
I have reported this before and excuse me for doing it again.
I don't use the app. I want to get emails only when quoted or mentioned. This is imperative for a commutation on sites such as this one.
It has been requested again and very recently by us Mods to the xda owners, they said building a XenForo add-on would be needed since it's not a feature present natively on XenForo, they will look into it.

J.Michael

Recognized Contributor
Jan 20, 2018
Samsung Galaxy Tab A series
It has been requested again and very recently by us Mods to the xda owners, they said building a XenForo add-on would be needed since it's not a feature present natively on XenForo, they will look into it.
How is this different from what I am about to get from checking the box for this thread on my "Watched threads" list and, at the bottom of the page, in the "For selected threads" dropdown, selecting "Enable email notification"?

woodman

Staff member
Jul 21, 2012
France
OnePlus 7T
How is this different from what I am about to get from checking the box for this thread on my "Watched threads" list and, at the bottom of the page, in the "For selected threads" dropdown, selecting "Enable email notification"?
I was wondering the same because I guess it should not be difficult to code (I'm not a dev, I'm just assuming) but the fact is that XenForo does not have this possibility natively, maybe they never wanted to implement this for some reason, don't ask me why I don't work for them. I can't say more than this.

J.Michael

Recognized Contributor
Jan 20, 2018
Samsung Galaxy Tab A series
I was wondering the same because I guess it should not be difficult to code (I'm not a dev, I'm just assuming) but the fact is that XenForo does not have this possibility natively, maybe they never wanted to implement this for some reason, don't ask me why I don't work for them. I can't say more than this.
I got an e-mail. It said I was getting it because "Woodman replied to a thread you are watching." I'll wait to see if I get drowned in e-mails when I am neither quoted nor mentioned.

I thought the reason I disabled e-mail notifications was that the new site sends an e-mail for each new post; the old site sent one e-mail -- no new e-mails would be sent until I visited the site.

Oddly, there was no badge on the notifications bell. Maybe I checked too soon.

woodman

Staff member
Jul 21, 2012
France
OnePlus 7T
I got an e-mail. It said I was getting it because "Woodman replied to a thread you are watching." I'll wait to see if I get drowned in e-mails when I am neither quoted nor mentioned.

I thought the reason I disabled e-mail notifications was that the new site sends an e-mail for each new post; the old site sent one e-mail -- no new e-mails would be sent until I visited the site.

Oddly, there was no badge on the notifications bell. Maybe I checked too soon.
You didn't receive that email because I quoted you, you received it because a new comment (mine) has been posted in a thread watched by you.

Reactions: tiho5 and sd_shadow

tiho5

Jun 21, 2010
Bulgaria
You didn't receive that email because I quoted you, you received it because a new comment (mine) has been posted in a thread watched by you.

Precisely.

What if someone quates a guy who doesn't use the XDA app and visits XDA site once in a year? The quated guy won't know at all and the guy who's asking the question will not get an answer for months.

If however the "email when quoted or mentioned" worked, these 2 persons could be in touch in a minute.

woodman

Staff member
Jul 21, 2012
France
OnePlus 7T
Precisely.

What if someone quates a guy who doesn't use the XDA app and visits XDA site once in a year? The quated guy won't know at all and the guy who's asking the question will not get an answer for months.

If however the "email when quoted or mentioned" worked, these 2 persons could be in touch in a minute.
I totally agree with you, you don't need to convice me, I'm also all for being able to have this.
It's not that the "email when quoted or mentioned" doesn't work, this is actually not present and not possible on XenForo natively, it's not an implemented feature. And xda has a XF native functioning.

As I said previously, the xda owner said they will look into bringing this possibly one way or another, possibly with an add-on.

Last edited:

IamTheBRAVE

On different matter, i noticed some changes in the app's ui:
In forum tabs, threads now display correctly in native AppWebview instead of browser webview.
Also, in article tab, articles load in original browser view. I find that better as the native page never displayed links correctly.
Thanks to all who work in the shadows to improve our use of XDA 💯%👍

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
On different matter, i noticed some changes in the app's ui:
In forum tabs, threads now display correctly in native AppWebview instead of browser webview.
Also, in article tab, articles load in original browser view. I find that better as the native page never displayed links correctly.
Thanks to all who work in the shadows to improve our use of XDA 💯%👍

Thanks for those tips. I'm curious to know if those tweaks were done in the back end or if they require newer versions of the native webview. The reason I ask this is that Google has made some significant changes to webview and other Google items; consequently now even on unrooted stock devices any version of webview after 89 presents fonts in variable and incorrect sizes. That issue of different sizes affected the XDA app as well as browsers which use webview.

So, I'm wondering if I would notice the improvements that you mentioned if I'm using a slightly older version of webview.

svetius

User Experience Admin
Dec 23, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
OnePlus 9 Pro
Minor thing, but yeah, got my attention ;)
1627307603896.png
fixed now

svetius

User Experience Admin
Dec 23, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
OnePlus 9 Pro

New XDA App Bugs and Requests

New: How to Use New Questions and Answers Threads - (16 March 2021)
Upvote or downvote replies, making the best answers listed at the top of the replies​

Xenforo 2.2 New Features

Device Inventory https://forum.xda-developers.com/account/xda-devices

Can't wait!
Testing big quote.

IamTheBRAVE

Thanks for those tips. I'm curious to know if those tweaks were done in the back end or if they require newer versions of the native webview. The reason I ask this is that Google has made some significant changes to webview and other Google items; consequently now even on unrooted stock devices any version of webview after 89 presents fonts in variable and incorrect sizes. That issue of different sizes affected the XDA app as well as browsers which use webview.

So, I'm wondering if I would notice the improvements that you mentioned if I'm using a slightly older version of webview.
Yeah' i think you're right. I'm updated to latest webview and only noticed after moving to another (samsung stock based ) custom rom and reinstalling XDA app from playstore.

fonzacus

Jun 23, 2016
30 Seconds From Mars
Xiaomi Redmi 8
id like to humbly request an 'easier to use' advanced search. IIRC the old forum had a 'filter titles' only and we could hope authors use generic labelled titles.

id like an advanced search where we could look for specific thread|post keyword|tags within many levels of subforums. IDK which modern forum is currently in use, but many old school PHP boards have it. id also like to request a handy shortcut on top that opens up an advanced search with the current subforum as an active target.

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
Yeah' i think you're right. I'm updated to latest webview and only noticed after moving to another (samsung stock based ) custom rom and reinstalling XDA app from playstore.

At the risk of sliding a bit off topic, I've been exploring this general webview thing for weeks. I did not test specifically in the XDA app but it experienced similar symptoms, which are induced like so in a browser;

Open browser (Naked Browser Pro) to default bookmarks page with no other tabs open > search for something from URL bar (whiche uses Google) = the font used by the the search results page is much smaller than it should be.

To restore expected font size: leave that browser tab open > minimize browser > swipe from recents > open browser = proper font size is used. To repeat the test close the tab and exit the browser.

Control testing was done to eliminate OS and Browser font settings as sole cause and likely eliminaye as any cause. Does not occur with webview 8.9 or prior; occurs with every version after that.

Similar symptoms occurred in the XDA app but could not be reliably reproduced, possibly because the app was only sometimes in a state where it would be affected, unlike the browser. Those experiencing font size or layout changes that are not fixed by the recent XDA tweaks could try an older version of webview.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This happens with the XDA app: When using the XDA app to reply/edit post and I tap the three dot menu that displays the emojis icon the emoji icon appears but it is greyed out. If I tap the emoji icon no emojis are displayed. Who can fix this problem?
    For me it does work ... second edit: There seems to be an issue. Now I see a second answer/reply text when clicking on the Emoji icon (but no Emojis).
    This happens with the XDA app: When using the XDA app to reply/edit post and I tap the three dot menu that displays the emojis icon the emoji icon appears but it is greyed out. If I tap the emoji icon no emojis are displayed. Who can fix this problem?
    On 3/11/2021 at around 10am New York time, XDA will be upgrading our forum software to XenForo 2.2 which brings a bunch of new improvements, like a new thread preview tool, a Device Inventory tool to show off which phones you use, a most-thanked widget in every thread to easily spot the most important posts, plus a host of other new feature you can read about here. Not every feature of 2.2 will be available/active on XDA from day one, but we'll roll more things out soon as we settle in. :cool:

Please use this thread to post about bugs, issues, or overall comments. If reporting a bug or issue, be sure to tell us about your configuration (device, browser, OS) and the steps to reproduce the issue. Screenshots help!

In addition, later today we'll be updating the XDA app to work with 2.2. :cowboy:
    Known Bugs/Regressions:
    1. Advanced forum user max title length is too short, truncating them (e.g. "Senior Recognized Developer / Recognized Contribut"). Fixed 06/18 https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...d-comments-here.4245677/page-16#post-85203961
    2. Long forum names are truncated (e.g. "Android Software and Hacking General [Developers O").
    3. Thanks/Likes counts are reduced for most users, sometimes dramatically, seemingly from Aug 29 - Dec 2; possibly related to posts reverting to older versions.
    4. Various old forum emojis aren't mapped to new unicode ones, and ones in old posts that do exist (e.g. :cowboy:) don't display.
    5. Broken redirects from old links for many threads/posts.
    6. Disabling Alert in Preferences forces Mobile App Push enabled, one should be able to disable both.
    7. "Unfurl"ed URL links to posts sometimes show a preview of the OP instead of the correct post (e.g. [URL unfurl="true"]https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/welcome-to-xda-2021.4197018/post-84073623[/URL]
      ==
      )
    8. Missing colored/underlined user names to denote advanced forum users (e.g. Moderators/Admins and Recognized Contributors/Themers/Developers).
    9. Posts containing only quotes and no new text shouldn't be allowed.
    10. Ability to subscribe to an entire forum is missing for some forums.
    11. XDA Wiki pages are missing.
    12. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] functionality is broken and pics lost.
    13. Shell scripts are detected and rejected as attachments, even if renamed as .txt files.
    14. Search "this category" option never shows any results when used.
    15. Recognized Developers can't moderate their own threads anymore.
    16. Missing/broken legacy devices in Device Inventory (e.g. Galaxy Nexus is listed when you search but fails when you attempt to add it).
    17. Missing setting to receive emails for mentions and/or quotes.
    18. Reaction Score doesn't match between profile and "All" under Reactions Received.
    19. DevDB secondary thread contributors have completely lost access to updating these threads.

See previous lists in the "Welcome To XDA 2021!" thread for items resolved up-to-and-including the XenForo 2.2 upgrade: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/welcome-to-xda-2021.4197018

New XDA App Bugs and Requests

New: How to Use New Questions and Answers Threads - (16 March 2021)
    Upvote or downvote replies, making the best answers listed at the top of the replies​

Xenforo 2.2 New Features

Device Inventory https://forum.xda-developers.com/account/xda-devices
    Screenshot 2021-03-11 115006.png

Can't wait!
    👆

Truncated special titles appear to be getting fixed today! 🙌
    Yay, not that I want to send me flowers but I send flowers to myself still 😜, there were 66 accounts to manually edit and then inform members about this change. Yea there were not other solutions than doing it manually.... 😭

I'm happy to have contributed to this and make disappear the truncated tiles. We have 50 char maximum allowed for it so it was not easy to find a good and consistent compromise for everyone and every case.

BTW, no one forced me, I was fine to volunteer for this task.
    @svetius @bitpushr @MikeChannon @the_scotsman @Audentio

Can you please add .tar.gz, .tgz, .tar.xz, .txz, etc. to the accepted attachment extension list? I'm trying to upload AIK-Linux v3.8 here and this is a bit of an annoying last minute snag. :p

Please also look into allowing uploading simple shell scripts again. These used to be allowed at least when renamed to .sh.txt but currently they still get detected and blocked.

This is a developers and power users forum, you would think these things would already be allowed! :)
    (y)I have added those extenstions.

Mike