• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

XenForo 2.2 Upgrade! Post Bugs, Issues and Comments Here

Search This thread

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
I watch 20+ threads. For 90% of them I have INTENTIONALLY turned mail notifications to off (leaving them only for few threads that I opened myself or where I havily participated, like some guides and so)

But today evening I started to receive mails that somebody quoted me or reacted here or there.
What is going on, why XDA settings suddenly changed by themselves?!

This is ridiculously ANNOYING - I have XDA app and I already receive ten notifications there, plus now, as of this evening, ten more e-mail notifications for the same quotes and reactions?!

I just gave up on opening all those e-mails and taking the stop e-mail notifications options for this and that thread again. Instead I congigured my mail client to sort ALL XDA MAILS to TRASH - bad move but better then being bombarded and spammed by day and night

Last edited:

woodman

Senior Moderator / Moderator & RC-RT Committees
Staff member
Jul 21, 2012
France
OnePlus 7T
zgfg,
This is happening because 2 new configurable options have been added today, emails for quotes and mentions.
Screenshot_20210728-231100__01__01.jpg
It's ON by default, so if that annoys you, you can disable them in your settings.

rsngfrce

May 13, 2012
NorCal
Apps & Games
I watch 20+ threads. For 90% of them I have INTENTIONALLY turned mail notifications to off (leaving them only for few threads that I opened myself or where I havily participated, like some guides and so)

But today evening I started to receive mails that somebody quoted me or reacted here or there.
What is going on, why XDA settings suddenly changed by themselves?!

This is ridiculously ANNOYING - I have XDA app and I already receive ten notifications there, plus now, as of this evening, ten more e-mail notifications for the same quotes and reactions?!

I just gave up on opening all those e-mails and taking the stop e-mail notifications options for this and that thread again. Instead I congigured my mail client to sort ALL XDA MAILS to TRASH - bad move but better then being bombarded and spammed by day and night
I'm here right now because I just got an email out of the blue that someone had quoted me. Off to adjust the settings.

Reactions: J.Michael

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Problem in parallel is that XDA app is very unrelible. I received notifications but it spinned forever when I wanted to open Allerts, or when I clicked on an Allert upon it they were finally listed.
Also, I had no luck when I tried to go to my Settings from XDA app, to disable those new notifications

However, I can immediately open the XDA threads and my settings from browser (on the same phone). Hence it cannot be due to my connection (which I know is good), or wven due to an overload on the server (how come that browser can immediately open, show the notifications, ooen them when clicked on, etc)

And/or, XDA app fails to post (once I finally open the thread), but then I can post with no problem from browser

It happens several times a day

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
Reactions: sd_shadow

woodman

Staff member
Jul 21, 2012
France
OnePlus 7T
I think it should default to OFF. Although, I guess the milk has been spilt. Maybe set to off for anyone who hasn't explicitly saved their settings since the change.
Well it's on svetius to decide but I think it's not a big deal, ON or OFF, honestly, it's just a matter of adjusting the settings once.
The pro of it being ON by default is that people know well the plugin has been enabled! See the reaction here? 😁

J.Michael

Recognized Contributor
Jan 20, 2018
Samsung Galaxy Tab A series
Also if I remember correctly, the emails for quotes and mentions were set to ON by default at the time of vBulletin. Anyone remembers? And I am not sure if it was even possible to configure it?
What is the relation between the new options in account preferences and the per thread preferences?

I thought the account preferences determined the thread preferences at the time of first interaction. I thought if I was receiving an e-mail every time anyone posted in a thread, it would do no good to change my account preference, because that thread had been set already. Instead, I had to view the list of watched threads, select that thread, and assert "disable e-mail notification" for selected threads.

Now, account preferences has separate e-mail notification options for quoted and mentioned, no option for post. The Watched threads list has only "enable email" and "disable email", no mention of quote, mention, or post.

Is it possible to get e-mail for any post in one thread, quote in a second thread, and mention in a third thread?

Reactions: rsngfrce

woodman

Staff member
Jul 21, 2012
France
OnePlus 7T
What is the relation between the new options in account preferences and the per thread preferences?
Account preference is for general behaviour and per thread is preference per thread. Sorry it's obvious but I had to sayt it :p
Receiving emails for quotes and mentions is supposed to be a general functioning, this is why it has been implemented there I guess.

Is it possible to get e-mail for any post in one thread, quote in a second thread, and mention in a third thread?
Not sure if I understand well but Yes.
But about the first item ^, it's not any post in one thread, an email is sent only if a new post has been posted since your last visit on XDA:
- if you don't visit xda in the meantime, no new email will be sent for this thread,
- if you visit xda in the meantime, a second email will be sent for the same thread.

Last edited:

J.Michael

Recognized Contributor
Jan 20, 2018
Samsung Galaxy Tab A series
Account preference is for general behaviour and per thread is preference per thread. Sorry it's obvious but I had to sayt it :p
Receiving emails for quotes and mentions is supposed to be a general functioning, this is why it has been implemented there I guess.

Not sure if I understand well but Yes.
But about the first item ^, it's not any post in one thread, an email is sent only if a new post has been posted since your last visit on XDA:
- if you don't visit xda in the meantime, no new email will be sent for this thread,
- if you visit xda in the meantime, a second email will be sent for the same thread.
Do you think it is possible for me to get an e-mail when I am quoted in this thread, without getting an e-mail when I am quoted in any other thread?

Reactions: rsngfrce

woodman

Staff member
Jul 21, 2012
France
OnePlus 7T
Do you think it is possible for me to get an e-mail when I am quoted in this thread, without getting an e-mail when I am quoted in any other thread?
Sorry I don't know yet, I'm testing things with other mods since yesterday. Daily use of this new plugin will tell us anyway.

woodman

Staff member
Jul 21, 2012
France
OnePlus 7T
Hi J.Michael,

I think the answer to your question is no (see the flowchart here below at the end of my post). I assume you should receive emails for quotes and mention even if you decided to not receive emails for a particular thread.
The new options for quotes and mentions in your account preferences:

Email options in account preference.jpg

...are not linked with the option of email settings per thread:
Email option per thread.jpg

Here are my observations so far in a flowchart. It's not an official algo, it's been done by me from my understandings, so please don't take this as necesarily correct. If you see issues in here, please tell me:

Algo.jpg

What I have rounded in orange-dotted is something that was triggering emails at the time of vBulletin and that bothers me. I will see if I send a request about this to svetius. but I guess we should.

IamTheBRAVE

I became concerned when I saw no sign of new posts since Monday, 2 August, and decided to post here.
Yes same here. For me it was from saturday afternoon to monday morning. No articles and no alerts. But on sunday night decided to check watching tab and there were a couple of threads showing new posts. The forum tab was showing new threads correctly.

Reactions: J.Michael

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Moto X4

Bug Report: Mention in Conversation not showing in Alerts​

Not sure if this never worked, was not activated, or just a one-time glitch.
I thought it was working.

Screenshot 2021-08-04 091804.png

Screenshot 2021-08-04 092024.png

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    YES. But I don't want multiple emails for the same post.
    If there are more than one email to be sent, so, it would choose only and sent it.
    I don't want to disable emails for quotes or emails for reply on watched forums, but I don't want to receive multiple emails for the same reply.
    I mean, if I was quoted on an watched forum, I will receive two emails, but I don't want it and I don't want to disable email alerts.
    You will receive those 2 emails for the same post if you follow the thread. This is by design (not a bug) and it was working this way too under vBulletin in the past for your info.
    I want to remind about something.

I can't tell apart read and unread threads well enough. The difference is very subtle. It needs to be tweaked. Others have been complaining about the same.

Using dark theme on Chrome on a Note phone and especially when under the sun it is a pain distinguishing them.
    I am receiving two emails for the SAME reply:
    "New message in watched forum"
    and
    "quoted you"
    Everything is ok then, it works as expected if you opted-in to receive emails for quotes in your account preferences 👍
    Algo.jpg

Edit: please ignore the orange rounded part as it's not about my point above.
    This is a waste of resources.
    Probably but not a big deal IMO compared to other stuff/topics.
    Also changing this would imply to do custom dev which is not wanted that much by xda owners since we moved to XF platform.
    I searched for gt-p5210 Everywhere. I've only looked at the first two hits, but neither has any occurrence of the string "gt-p5210". E.g., this device.
    On 3/11/2021 at around 10am New York time, XDA will be upgrading our forum software to XenForo 2.2 which brings a bunch of new improvements, like a new thread preview tool, a Device Inventory tool to show off which phones you use, a most-thanked widget in every thread to easily spot the most important posts, plus a host of other new feature you can read about here. Not every feature of 2.2 will be available/active on XDA from day one, but we'll roll more things out soon as we settle in. :cool:

Please use this thread to post about bugs, issues, or overall comments. If reporting a bug or issue, be sure to tell us about your configuration (device, browser, OS) and the steps to reproduce the issue. Screenshots help!

In addition, later today we'll be updating the XDA app to work with 2.2. :cowboy:
    Known Bugs/Regressions:
    1. Advanced forum user max title length is too short, truncating them (e.g. "Senior Recognized Developer / Recognized Contribut"). Fixed 06/18 https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...d-comments-here.4245677/page-16#post-85203961
    2. Long forum names are truncated (e.g. "Android Software and Hacking General [Developers O").
    3. Thanks/Likes counts are reduced for most users, sometimes dramatically, seemingly from Aug 29 - Dec 2; possibly related to posts reverting to older versions.
    4. Various old forum emojis aren't mapped to new unicode ones, and ones in old posts that do exist (e.g. :cowboy:) don't display.
    5. Broken redirects from old links for many threads/posts.
    6. Disabling Alert in Preferences forces Mobile App Push enabled, one should be able to disable both.
    7. "Unfurl"ed URL links to posts sometimes show a preview of the OP instead of the correct post (e.g. [URL unfurl="true"]https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/welcome-to-xda-2021.4197018/post-84073623[/URL]
      ==
      )
    8. Missing colored/underlined user names to denote advanced forum users (e.g. Moderators/Admins and Recognized Contributors/Themers/Developers).
    9. Posts containing only quotes and no new text shouldn't be allowed.
    10. Ability to subscribe to an entire forum is missing for some forums.
    11. XDA Wiki pages are missing.
    12. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] functionality is broken and pics lost.
    13. Shell scripts are detected and rejected as attachments, even if renamed as .txt files.
    14. Search "this category" option never shows any results when used.
    15. Recognized Developers can't moderate their own threads anymore.
    16. Missing/broken legacy devices in Device Inventory (e.g. Galaxy Nexus is listed when you search but fails when you attempt to add it).
    17. Missing setting to receive emails for mentions and/or quotes.
    18. Reaction Score doesn't match between profile and "All" under Reactions Received.
    19. DevDB secondary thread contributors have completely lost access to updating these threads.

See previous lists in the "Welcome To XDA 2021!" thread for items resolved up-to-and-including the XenForo 2.2 upgrade: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/welcome-to-xda-2021.4197018

New XDA App Bugs and Requests

New: How to Use New Questions and Answers Threads - (16 March 2021)
    Upvote or downvote replies, making the best answers listed at the top of the replies​

Xenforo 2.2 New Features

Device Inventory https://forum.xda-developers.com/account/xda-devices
    Screenshot 2021-03-11 115006.png

Can't wait!
    👆

Truncated special titles appear to be getting fixed today! 🙌
    Yay, not that I want to send me flowers but I send flowers to myself still 😜, there were 66 accounts to manually edit and then inform members about this change. Yea there were not other solutions than doing it manually.... 😭

I'm happy to have contributed to this and make disappear the truncated tiles. We have 50 char maximum allowed for it so it was not easy to find a good and consistent compromise for everyone and every case.

BTW, no one forced me, I was fine to volunteer for this task.
    @svetius @bitpushr @MikeChannon @the_scotsman @Audentio

Can you please add .tar.gz, .tgz, .tar.xz, .txz, etc. to the accepted attachment extension list? I'm trying to upload AIK-Linux v3.8 here and this is a bit of an annoying last minute snag. :p

Please also look into allowing uploading simple shell scripts again. These used to be allowed at least when renamed to .sh.txt but currently they still get detected and blocked.

This is a developers and power users forum, you would think these things would already be allowed! :)
    (y)I have added those extenstions.

Mike