[CLOSED] XenForo 2.2 Upgrade! Post Bugs, Issues and Comments Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

jult

Apr 22, 2011
Amsterdam, NL, EU
jult.net
Very good points. I'll take your feedback to our design team, but I think we're pretty set on this new color scheme.
Not to mention the fact that your logo has changed from a 'warm' color-spectrum to a particularly cold one. Cold rose and cold blue. The older design truely was one reason why xda has become what it has become. If it had been this ugly blue grey rose theme from the start, it never would have become this big.

Wolfcity

Recognized Contributor
Not to mention the fact that your logo has changed from a 'warm' color-spectrum to a particularly cold one. Cold rose and cold blue. The older design truely was one reason why xda has become what it has become. If it had been this ugly blue grey rose theme from the start, it never would have become this big.
Sorry, but I don't think that XDA has become to what it is because of a brownish logo.
The content, the ability to find help, tutorials, custom ROMs, the possibility to find solutions to a lot of problems and the great and helpful community may have been more important than the colour of the logo.

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
Sorry, but I don't think that XDA has become to what it is because of a brownish logo.
The content, the ability to find help, tutorials, custom ROMs, the possibility to find solutions to a lot of problems and the great and helpful community may have been more important than the colour of the logo.

I agree with you and don't think the color of the logo made or broke the site even though I personally prefer the warm pallet and have demonstrated practical issues with the current pallet not having to do with warm or cool but rather brightness and contrast. More important than mere image are the things you mentioned which all do still exist. That being said I think something was lost regarding the connective tissue of the community due to the limitations of the new app (perhaps forced by the new back-end services) regarding interaction with the threads, navigation to and from starting points and other things which led to a smoother experience particularly regarding navigation. My intent is not to complain about these things as these points have previously been made, the point being that there are more serious things to criticize (or productively report) than the color of the badge.

Timmmmaaahh!

Sr. Mod / Mod Cmte / Recognized Xmas Avatar Themer
Staff member
Sep 11, 2012
From From eh... Belgium!
OnePlus One
OnePlus 6T
We actually had blue before:
5094420897_e36da02dd9_b.jpg
(source)

Didn't have hot pink though! The world wasn't ready for hot pink. I was more of a fan of the orange and warmth as well but change is welcome and these things grow on ya. I would prefer customizability: select two colours in settings and profit! Too much work, they said. Lazy admins 😅 JK! Please let me keep my "job" 🙏

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
I'm sorry to pile on like this but the app has become horrendous for editing. This isn't just blind ranting. It's been a long time since we got the new version of the app and as a tool for creating text posts it's just horrible. I and others have already described how difficult it is to use the edit box and navigate through the threads but now in addition to those things we have this blue semicircular hovering button right over the tiny constricted text field in which we are editing text and if we accidentally touch that blue button it invokes a new post. Oh my word, some of this defies belief regarding basic design. Please pardon my candor. I would be willing to help test this and improve it but there seems to be no interest. Is it really the case that the app must be this difficult to use? How do we make improvements in that regard? I'm not as disappointed as others about the App Store going away but now we have something that is primarily a text communicator which is bad at text communicating.

Disclaimer, I'm not at all unappreciative of the hard work that goes into maintaining these forums. That is the point - for such hard work the results should be better.

Last edited:

woodman

Moderator Emeritus
Jul 21, 2012
🌲 France
OnePlus 7T
I'm sorry to pile on like this but the app has become horrendous for editing. This isn't just blind ranting. It's been a long time since we got the new version of the app and as a tool for creating text posts it's just horrible. I and others have already described how difficult it is to use the edit box and navigate through the threads but now in addition to those things we have this blue semicircular hovering button right over the tiny constricted text field in which we are editing text and if we accidentally touch that blue button it invokes a new post. Oh my word, some of this defies belief regarding basic design. Please pardon my candor. I would be willing to help test this and improve it but there seems to be no interest. Is it really the case that the app must be this difficult to use? How do we make improvements in that regard? Seriously as disappointed as others about the App Store going away but here we have something that is primarily a text communicator which is bad at text communicating.

Disclaimer, I'm not at all unappreciative of the hard work that goes into maintaining these forums. That is the point - for such hard work the results should be better.
Only @svetius could guide us on what's possible and what's not. What are the plans, the intentions, the money put into this, etc.

I personally have no clues what's the future of the app.

I''d LOVE to have a better XDA app. Remember my passion with previous xda app/labs? 😉

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
Only @svetius could guide us on what's possible and what's not. What are the plans, the intentions, the money put into this, etc.

I''d LOVE to have a better XDA app. Remember my passion with previous xda app/labs? 😉

I have indeed noticed a change in your presence and that of many others since then.

I'm realistic about expectations and may just have to buckle down and stick to a desktop web browser. One of the reasons I'm ranting here is that I had started to unleash mini rants in my regular posts and that was just going to spread too much poison so I decided to do a more focused rant in this thread.

Thanks for listening, coach. :)

svetius

Retired User Experience Admin
Dec 23, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
OnePlus 9 Pro

We're having discussions about what to do with the app. I know @bitpushr has been a part of these conversations. There's a chance we might support Tapatalk again, because while that was problematic on vBulletin, their XenForo solution might be better. Plus overall people tend to appreciate the stability and functionality of Tapatalk, which they've done a good job keeping updated.

I'll let @bitpushr opine slightly here.

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
Evenn spilll chokk is nott saf!

Only in this edit box and nowhere else does this occur in the gboard spell check running from anysoftkeyboard, a combination which works on multiple devices in almost all other text edit interfaces. Same text pasted elsewhere shows appropriate replacements instead of a black box containing very dark gray text.

[EDIT] When looking at the phone I did not realize that the text was present. From a closer look at the image this could be an issue with dark/light themes and or transparency.

It's easy to blame the XDA app but this sort of stuff happens in a variety of web browsers at XDA as well.

Screenshot_20220313-100255.png

Last edited:
Reactions: pocketrule

IamTheBRAVE

Evenn spilll chokk is nott saf!

Only in this edit box and nowhere else does this occur in the gboard spell check running from anysoftkeyboard, a combination which works on multiple devices in almost all other text edit interfaces. Same text pasted elsewhere shows appropriate replacements instead of a black box containing very dark gray text.

[EDIT] When looking at the phone I did not realize that the text was present. From a closer look at the image this could be an issue with dark/light themes and or transparency.

It's easy to blame the XDA app but this sort of stuff happens in a variety of web browsers at XDA as well.

View attachment 5559719
Indead, XDA iz foll oof bogs

woodman

Moderator Emeritus
Jul 21, 2012
🌲 France
OnePlus 7T
We're having discussions about what to do with the app. I know @bitpushr has been a part of these conversations. There's a chance we might support Tapatalk again, because while that was problematic on vBulletin, their XenForo solution might be better. Plus overall people tend to appreciate the stability and functionality of Tapatalk, which they've done a good job keeping updated.

Hello svetius,
Is that still a thing?

woodman

Moderator Emeritus
Jul 21, 2012
🌲 France
OnePlus 7T

Hello svetius,
Is that still a thing?
Bumping again, adding other members who could help answering my question about the possibility to support Tapatalk again under XenForo.

@XDARoni
@nirave
@MikeChannon
@bitpushr

Thank you in advance.

-woodman

Timmmmaaahh!

Sr. Mod / Mod Cmte / Recognized Xmas Avatar Themer
Staff member
Sep 11, 2012
From From eh... Belgium!
OnePlus One
OnePlus 6T
Why forum is offline almost every day multiple times??
Ugh yeah, the offline error with Twitter feed, it has indeed been plaguing us for quite some time now. The last ones are perhaps related to servers overheating due to your last post here ;) Anyway, administration is on top of it! The servers, I mean ^_^

Dayuser

Recognized Contributor
Jun 26, 2016
Finland
Moto G7 Power
Reactions: Lz3807775t

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
Pardon some spamming but I've not yet seen any reports of this I've posted in a few of the applicable XDA app threads.

For unread threads App is going to first page of thread instead of last and is not flagging it as read (un- bolded). The threads which should be flagged as read in the app are still flagged as unread in a desktop web browsers on PC as well as in app. Unread threads are properly flagged as read when viewed in web browser and that flag is visible in app, App is seeing the read/unread state of threads as set by web browser but unable to set that state or auto navigate. Logging out and back in does not fix. Reproduced on 3 rooted/unrooted android 10/11 devices.

[EDIT] "Report issue" from within app does not work either, Don't know if that is related or not.

I try to be gracious, really I do, but a malicious intentional plan to make simple thread viewing a mess could not be much more effective than this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    On 3/11/2021 at around 10am New York time, XDA will be upgrading our forum software to XenForo 2.2 which brings a bunch of new improvements, like a new thread preview tool, a Device Inventory tool to show off which phones you use, a most-thanked widget in every thread to easily spot the most important posts, plus a host of other new feature you can read about here. Not every feature of 2.2 will be available/active on XDA from day one, but we'll roll more things out soon as we settle in. :cool:

Please use this thread to post about bugs, issues, or overall comments. If reporting a bug or issue, be sure to tell us about your configuration (device, browser, OS) and the steps to reproduce the issue. Screenshots help!

In addition, later today we'll be updating the XDA app to work with 2.2. :cowboy:
    Known Bugs/Regressions:
    1. Advanced forum user max title length is too short, truncating them (e.g. "Senior Recognized Developer / Recognized Contribut"). Fixed 06/18 https://xdaforums.com/t/xenforo-2-2...d-comments-here.4245677/page-16#post-85203961
    2. Long forum names are truncated (e.g. "Android Software and Hacking General [Developers O").
    3. Thanks/Likes counts are reduced for most users, sometimes dramatically, seemingly from Aug 29 - Dec 2; possibly related to posts reverting to older versions.
    4. Various old forum emojis aren't mapped to new unicode ones, and ones in old posts that do exist (e.g. :cowboy:) don't display.
    5. Broken redirects from old links for many threads/posts.
    6. Disabling Alert in Preferences forces Mobile App Push enabled, one should be able to disable both.
    7. "Unfurl"ed URL links to posts sometimes show a preview of the OP instead of the correct post (e.g. [URL unfurl="true"]https://xdaforums.com/t/welcome-to-xda-2021.4197018/post-84073623[/URL]
      ==
      )
    8. Missing colored/underlined user names to denote advanced forum users (e.g. Moderators/Admins and Recognized Contributors/Themers/Developers). Fixed 12/14 https://xdaforums.com/t/xenforo-2-2...d-comments-here.4245677/page-28#post-86097881
    9. Posts containing only quotes and no new text shouldn't be allowed.
    10. Ability to subscribe to an entire forum is missing for some forums.
    11. XDA Wiki pages are missing.
    12. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] functionality is broken and pics lost.
    13. Shell scripts are detected and rejected as attachments, even if renamed as .txt files.
    14. Search "this category" option never shows any results when used.
    15. Recognized Developers can't moderate their own threads anymore.
    16. Missing/broken legacy devices in Device Inventory (e.g. Galaxy Nexus is listed when you search but fails when you attempt to add it).
    17. Missing setting to receive emails for mentions and/or quotes.
    18. Reaction Score doesn't match between profile and "All" under Reactions Received.
    19. DevDB secondary thread contributors have completely lost access to updating these threads.

See previous lists in the "Welcome To XDA 2021!" thread for items resolved up-to-and-including the XenForo 2.2 upgrade: https://xdaforums.com/t/welcome-to-xda-2021.4197018

New XDA App Bugs and Requests

New: How to Use New Questions and Answers Threads - (16 March 2021)
    Upvote or downvote replies, making the best answers listed at the top of the replies​

Xenforo 2.2 New Features

Device Inventory https://xdaforums.com/account/xda-devices
    Screenshot 2021-03-11 115006.png

Can't wait!
    👆

Truncated special titles appear to be getting fixed today! 🙌
    Yay, not that I want to send me flowers but I send flowers to myself still 😜, there were 66 accounts to manually edit and then inform members about this change. Yea there were not other solutions than doing it manually.... 😭

I'm happy to have contributed to this and make disappear the truncated tiles. We have 50 char maximum allowed for it so it was not easy to find a good and consistent compromise for everyone and every case.

BTW, no one forced me, I was fine to volunteer for this task.
    @svetius @bitpushr @MikeChannon @the_scotsman @Audentio

Can you please add .tar.gz, .tgz, .tar.xz, .txz, etc. to the accepted attachment extension list? I'm trying to upload AIK-Linux v3.8 here and this is a bit of an annoying last minute snag. :p

Please also look into allowing uploading simple shell scripts again. These used to be allowed at least when renamed to .sh.txt but currently they still get detected and blocked.

This is a developers and power users forum, you would think these things would already be allowed! :)
    (y)I have added those extenstions.

Mike