How To Guide Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra Root Guide (No firmware download needed)

Search This thread

jiyuugataki

Oct 3, 2010
What does not work in specific? It's a bit too generic
Sorry ^^

At this step :
Now give twrp the permissions to look into your folder by unlocking it at boot (password of pattern depends on what you use normally for your phone)

TWRP is booting straight on the menu, no password asked, and so, no access to data

Removal of screenlock does not change a thing, it can't mount /data

xNAPx

Sep 26, 2010
You are lucky my friend, the official twrp has been released, try again with that please

xNAPx

Sep 26, 2010
Mmm at this poiint I would suggest to check on YouTube some guide regards this

tensux

Nov 18, 2011
boston
EDIT: nevermind adb was booting me into "fastbootd", i booted into "fastboot" via cable and power down button and i am all set

I updated to global 12.5.8. It is not the first time I updated and needed to re-root. I haven't had an issue in the past. I am now getting this message trying to boot into twrp:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot boot twrp.img
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [ 4.292s]
booting...
FAILED (remote: Unrecognized command boot)
finished. total time: 4.307s

any ideas?

Last edited:

F-L-Y-E-R

Jan 15, 2011
London
Hello everyone, my MiFlash is saying that I need to wait 168 hours to unlock (I've just setup a new Mi Account) is that how it's supposed to be and no way to bypass but wait? Thanks.

droidmate

Jan 24, 2013
India
www.facebook.com
Welcome to my thread. Today I am going to teach you how to install a custom recovery on the device and how to recover the original boot files on the phone to modify them. After modifying those files you will have root on the device. A lot of time and effort has been put into getting this to work. The custom recovery that we will be using is TWRP Recovery.

Note: Modifying your device will void the manufacturer's warranty.
All modifications made to your device are done at your own risk and you claim full
responsibility if the device is damaged or if data is lost.

First, we are going to enable OEM Unlock and USB Debugging. To do so, you will follow the steps below.

1. Sign in to your Mi Cloud Account on your phone.
2. Tap the “Settings” menu on your Mi 11 Ultra, then tap the “About Phone” option.
3. Tap the “MIUI Version” option several times until you see the “You are now a developer” message.
4. Tap the “Additional Settings” Menu, then tap the “Developer options” on your phone.
5. Activate the “OEM Unlock” option, then activate the “USB Debugging” option on your phone.
6. Tap the “Mi Unlock Status” option.
7. Tap “Agree” and then tap the “Add account and device” option on your phone.
8. Turn off your phone, then press the volume down button and the power button simultaneously to put your phone into fastboot mode.
9. Connect your phone to your PC via a USB cable.
10. Download the miflash ZIP file.
11. Extract the miflash unlock tool ZIP file. You will find the Mi USB Driver.exe file and the miflashunlock.exe file after extracting it.
12. Install the Mi USB driver on your PC.
13. Run the miflashunlock.exe file on your PC.
14. Tap the Agree button and then Sign in with your Mi Account after running the miflash_unlock.exe.
15. Click the “Unlock” button, then click the “Unlock anyway” button within the miflash tool to start the process.
16. Click the “Reboot phone” button after you see the “Unlocked successfully” message.

Downloads:
Unlock tool: https://en.miui.com/unlock/download_en.html

Additionally, we will need to have TWRP flashed to the recovery of the phone.

1. We will need to have ADB installed on the computer so download the 15 Second ADB Installer.
2. Run the ADB-Setup.exe.
3. Open a CMD terminal as an Administrator.
4. Type in the command: CD C:/ADB.
5. Type in the command: ADB Devices, make sure that there is a device showing up.
6. Download the TWRP.img to the ADB folder located on C:/ADB.
7. Make sure that you do not have a password or code lock on the device. There can not be any lock on the lock screen.
8. Type the command ADB Reboot Bootloader.
9. Type the command Fastboot Boot TWRP.img.
10. Navigate to the Advanced menu of TWRP and tap on “Install Recovery Ramdisk”.
11. Navigate back to the main menu then tap on Reboot and tap on Recovery.

Downloads:
15 Second ADB Installer: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...vers-15-seconds-adb-installer-v1-4-3.2588979/
TWRP image: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ztP266XjxteVk8pxcD7-sD-IxihmODPV?usp=sharing

Now we will copy the three boot files on the phone and make backups.

1. Navigate to Mount on the root menu or TWRP.
2. Select the System Partition and Data partition then go back to the menu.
3. Navigate to Advanced then Terminal.
4. Type the command dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot of=/sdcard/boot.img.
5. Type the command dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot_a of=/sdcard/boot_a.img.
6. Type the command dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot_b of=/sdcard/boot_b.img.
7. After all the commands have been entered you can now exit back to the system by rebooting to the system in the Reboot menu.
8. Next, we will install Magisk on the phone to modify the boot files, download the Magisk.apk file on your phone.
9. Open the apk and install the Magisk.apk on the device. You will have to enable Unknown Sources if you have not already.
10. Open Magisk and select install on the Magisk tab.
11. Under Method tap the Select and Patch a File and select the boot.img file.
12. Press the LET'S GO button after you have selected the file. (Make sure to note down the name of the Output file for each file).
13. Repeat steps 11 and 12 for boot file boot_a.img and boot file boot_b.img.

Downloads:
Magisk: https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases

Now we will flash the boot files to the phone and we will be rooted!

1. Copy the files you just made from the storage of the phone under /Internal shared storage/Download/(Filenames) to the ADB folder located on C:/ADB
2. Restart the phone and once the phone screen turns off hold the Volume Down button to boot into fastboot.
3. Now this is where it is very crucial to ensure you know what each file corresponds to for the boot files. Type in the command Fastboot flash boot (Modified file name for boot.img).
4. Type in the command Fastboot Flash Boot_a (Modified file name for boot_a.img).
5. Type in the command Fastboot Flash Boot_b (Modified file name for boot_b.img).
6. Then type the command Fastboot reboot
7. Load Magisk and verify that it is indeed installed.
8. Boom rooted!
Hai, is this still valid? witht the latest andorid 12 miui 13 ?

I am in eu stable rom miui 13. searching for an option to install magisk properly

DelphinusMinor

Look it is super simple, it can be done on every rom with an unlocked bootloader (this must be obvious)

• Download the latest magisk.zip file on your phone
  • Download the compatible TWRP for your device on your computer and put it into your ADB and fastboot folder and rename it "twrp.img" (make sure you replace the file extension with the ".img")
  • Reboot your phone into fastboot
  • Connect the phone to the PC
  • Run the check command "fastboot devices" to check if your device is listed
  • Then run the command "fastboot boot twrp.img"
  • Your phone will now boot into twrp recovery and there is no need to flash it and overwrite the original recovery
  • Now give twrp the permissions to look into your folder by unlocking it at boot (password of pattern depends on what you use normally for your phone)
  • Now since the twrp is chinese you must change your language into english (3rd button on the right then click on the globe on the up right and select the language you want)
  • Now go into wipe and wipe manually cache and dalvik
  • Now go into your system and search for magisk.zip, flash it and wipe again dalvik and cache.
  • Reboot your phone
  • Now when you boot you must have magisk through your apps, boot magisk and complete the installation process.
  • Reboot again and enjoy!

A bit late to the party, but how do you get Magisk into a root folder so you can flash it in TWRP? I can't see root files via desktop, and can only see root files in the TWRP file manager. I can't read anything USB via OTG because it needs to be plugged in while the phone is booting into TWRP but I need to be plugged into the desktop to load TWRP. Maybe if I quickly remove the desktop cable and put the otg thumb drive in quickly. I'll try that later.

Bobfish

May 30, 2018
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
Coolpad Cool1
A bit late to the party, but how do you get Magisk into a root folder so you can flash it in TWRP? I can't see root files via desktop, and can only see root files in the TWRP file manager. I can't read anything USB via OTG because it needs to be plugged in while the phone is booting into TWRP but I need to be plugged into the desktop to load TWRP. Maybe if I quickly remove the desktop cable and put the otg thumb drive in quickly. I'll try that later.
Wait until Twrp finished loading , then plug in OTG.

DelphinusMinor

Wait until Twrp finished loading , then plug in OTG.
I remember when flashing my other phones it wouldn't read USB unless the phone loads while it's plugged in. Never detects after it's loaded. This time it isn't either also. I did the onekey inject TWRP option after booting into it via ADB to see how that went now I have TWRP that has touch disabled. I'll reflash it later this week or something. It's not my daily driver.

DelphinusMinor

Look it is super simple, it can be done on every rom with an unlocked bootloader (this must be obvious)

• Download the compatible TWRP for your device on your computer and put it into your ADB and fastboot folder and rename it "twrp.img" (make sure you replace the file extension with the ".img")
  • Your phone will now boot into twrp recovery and there is no need to flash it and overwrite the original recovery
  • Now give twrp the permissions to look into your folder by unlocking it at boot (password of pattern depends on what you use normally for your phone)
  • Now since the twrp is chinese you must change your language into english (3rd button on the right then click on the globe on the up right and select the language you want)
  • Now go into your system and search for magisk.zip, flash it and wipe again dalvik and cache.
  • Reboot your phone
  • Now when you boot you must have magisk through your apps, boot magisk and complete the installation process.
This worked for me. Except I used the latest official TWRP via fastboot and then just flashed TWRP from within it. Then I did the Magisk flash. Wiped dalvik. Booted and finished the Magisk install. Checked for root and was a success.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Welcome to my thread. Today I am going to teach you how to install a custom recovery on the device and how to recover the original boot files on the phone to modify them. After modifying those files you will have root on the device. A lot of time and effort has been put into getting this to work. The custom recovery that we will be using is TWRP Recovery.

Note: Modifying your device will void the manufacturer's warranty.
    All modifications made to your device are done at your own risk and you claim full
    responsibility if the device is damaged or if data is lost.

First, we are going to enable OEM Unlock and USB Debugging. To do so, you will follow the steps below.

1. Sign in to your Mi Cloud Account on your phone.
    2. Tap the “Settings” menu on your Mi 11 Ultra, then tap the “About Phone” option.
    3. Tap the “MIUI Version” option several times until you see the “You are now a developer” message.
    4. Tap the “Additional Settings” Menu, then tap the “Developer options” on your phone.
    5. Activate the “OEM Unlock” option, then activate the “USB Debugging” option on your phone.
    6. Tap the “Mi Unlock Status” option.
    7. Tap “Agree” and then tap the “Add account and device” option on your phone.
    8. Turn off your phone, then press the volume down button and the power button simultaneously to put your phone into fastboot mode.
    9. Connect your phone to your PC via a USB cable.
    10. Download the miflash ZIP file.
    11. Extract the miflash unlock tool ZIP file. You will find the Mi USB Driver.exe file and the miflashunlock.exe file after extracting it.
    12. Install the Mi USB driver on your PC.
    13. Run the miflashunlock.exe file on your PC.
    14. Tap the Agree button and then Sign in with your Mi Account after running the miflash_unlock.exe.
    15. Click the “Unlock” button, then click the “Unlock anyway” button within the miflash tool to start the process.
    16. Click the “Reboot phone” button after you see the “Unlocked successfully” message.

Downloads:
    Unlock tool: https://en.miui.com/unlock/download_en.html

Additionally, we will need to have TWRP flashed to the recovery of the phone.

1. We will need to have ADB installed on the computer so download the 15 Second ADB Installer.
    2. Run the ADB-Setup.exe.
    3. Open a CMD terminal as an Administrator.
    4. Type in the command: CD C:/ADB.
    5. Type in the command: ADB Devices, make sure that there is a device showing up.
    6. Download the TWRP.img to the ADB folder located on C:/ADB.
    7. Make sure that you do not have a password or code lock on the device. There can not be any lock on the lock screen.
    8. Type the command ADB Reboot Bootloader.
    9. Type the command Fastboot Boot TWRP.img.
    10. Navigate to the Advanced menu of TWRP and tap on “Install Recovery Ramdisk”.
    11. Navigate back to the main menu then tap on Reboot and tap on Recovery.

Downloads:
    15 Second ADB Installer: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...vers-15-seconds-adb-installer-v1-4-3.2588979/
    TWRP image: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ztP266XjxteVk8pxcD7-sD-IxihmODPV?usp=sharing

Now we will copy the three boot files on the phone and make backups.

1. Navigate to Mount on the root menu or TWRP.
    2. Select the System Partition and Data partition then go back to the menu.
    3. Navigate to Advanced then Terminal.
    4. Type the command dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot of=/sdcard/boot.img.
    5. Type the command dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot_a of=/sdcard/boot_a.img.
    6. Type the command dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot_b of=/sdcard/boot_b.img.
    7. After all the commands have been entered you can now exit back to the system by rebooting to the system in the Reboot menu.
    8. Next, we will install Magisk on the phone to modify the boot files, download the Magisk.apk file on your phone.
    9. Open the apk and install the Magisk.apk on the device. You will have to enable Unknown Sources if you have not already.
    10. Open Magisk and select install on the Magisk tab.
    11. Under Method tap the Select and Patch a File and select the boot.img file.
    12. Press the LET'S GO button after you have selected the file. (Make sure to note down the name of the Output file for each file).
    13. Repeat steps 11 and 12 for boot file boot_a.img and boot file boot_b.img.

Downloads:
    Magisk: https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases

Now we will flash the boot files to the phone and we will be rooted!

1. Copy the files you just made from the storage of the phone under /Internal shared storage/Download/(Filenames) to the ADB folder located on C:/ADB
    2. Restart the phone and once the phone screen turns off hold the Volume Down button to boot into fastboot.
    3. Now this is where it is very crucial to ensure you know what each file corresponds to for the boot files. Type in the command Fastboot flash boot (Modified file name for boot.img).
    4. Type in the command Fastboot Flash Boot_a (Modified file name for boot_a.img).
    5. Type in the command Fastboot Flash Boot_b (Modified file name for boot_b.img).
    6. Then type the command Fastboot reboot
    7. Load Magisk and verify that it is indeed installed.
    8. Boom rooted!

• Reboot your phone
    I don't get this I rooted much easier by simply flashing magisk.

I downloaded magisk zip
    I then booted into fastboot connecting my ohone to the pc
    I booted into twrp from fastboot with the command "fastboot boot twrp.img"
    From twrp I simply flashed magisk.zip wiped dalvik and ART cache and rebooted the phone
    Root done!

My question is now how can I update without loosing data.
    I was thinking of installing the new rom via miflashtool without wiping data and then reflash magisk. It should work right?
    is this working with EU ROM?
    On Xiaomi EU is simpler because it inject twrp itself so you don't need to push start via adb
    On Xiaomi EU is simpler because it inject twrp itself so you don't need to push start via adb
    Ok thanks. I will try it later