• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Xiaomi MI 9 Stuck in EDL cannot enter Fastboot or Recovery

Search This thread

darkmatt3rs

Dec 23, 2020
Hi Guys, I have a terrible problems with my MI 9 Chinese Firmware. A year ago I've unlocked the bootloader and install Global Rom, my phone was normal and smooth for a year, never had any problem before.

The problem is 1 week ago my phone suddenly freeze (MIUI 12), it restart sometimes but no service and no wifi, sometimes wifi and celllular working but with unstable signal. when I turned off-on wifi, it stuck at "turning on" and then the phone freeze again and suddenly dead and won't boot, after a few tries my phone stuck in boot loop, sometimes hang on MI and MIUI color logo, and sometimes MIUI color logo got distorted. So I tried Recovery mode to wipe all, but nothing work.

Later I boot my phone to Fastboot and flash my phone with MiFlash Tool Global ROM, flashing is completed and my phone boot to menu but android setting is not working, wifi and cellullar not working too, so I can't setup my phone, then I restart my phone again and back to boot loop (Sometimes stuck in MI logo - Sometimes stuck in Snapdragon logo). I don't know what that means.

FInally I Flashed my phone back to Chinese ROM and Re-Lock Bootloader via Fastboot, after flashing done, for the first time after boot loop for 2 days my phone went boot to menu but.. Cellular and wifi still unstable and ofter freeze and reboot itself, then I force reboot again but now cellular and wifi completely dead. Then I Fastboot and flash my phone again with same rom, when the flashing process my electricity is down and my PC is shut down, after that my phone stuck in EDL mode (COM20), and cannot boot into Recovery or Fastboot.

When I tried to flash in EDL it said (ERROR) System.Exception: authentication failed. "your account is unauthorized for this operation". I Google for solution but found nothing.
And now I really frustrated and can't do anything. If someone here could understand the situation and help me to get out this situation I really appreciate it.

Screenshot (2).png

Sorry my bad English.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

DaGalaxySheep

Aug 24, 2020
Hi I may have a solution for you.

This is caused my locking of bootloader when flashing rom that is not supported on locked bootloader.

Use mi unlock to unlock your device before flashing this and make sure to NEVER LOCK THE BOOTLOADER (in case you accidentally flash the wrong non compatible firmware with locked BOOTLOADER.)

This happen on my redmi K30 Pro Zoom and I hope this solitit helps you...

All the best!

darkmatt3rs

Dec 23, 2020
Hi I may have a solution for you.

This is caused my locking of bootloader when flashing rom that is not supported on locked bootloader.

Use mi unlock to unlock your device before flashing this and make sure to NEVER LOCK THE BOOTLOADER (in case you accidentally flash the wrong non compatible firmware with locked BOOTLOADER.)

This happen on my redmi K30 Pro Zoom and I hope this solitit helps you...

All the best!
Thanks Mate, but my phone bootloader is unlocked.

l0ggerbrk

Mar 28, 2021
Hi Guys, I have a terrible problems with my MI 9 Chinese Firmware. A year ago I've unlocked the bootloader and install Global Rom, my phone was normal and smooth for a year, never had any problem before.

The problem is 1 week ago my phone suddenly freeze (MIUI 12), it restart sometimes but no service and no wifi, sometimes wifi and celllular working but with unstable signal. when I turned off-on wifi, it stuck at "turning on" and then the phone freeze again and suddenly dead and won't boot, after a few tries my phone stuck in boot loop, sometimes hang on MI and MIUI color logo, and sometimes MIUI color logo got distorted. So I tried Recovery mode to wipe all, but nothing work.

Later I boot my phone to Fastboot and flash my phone with MiFlash Tool Global ROM, flashing is completed and my phone boot to menu but android setting is not working, wifi and cellullar not working too, so I can't setup my phone, then I restart my phone again and back to boot loop (Sometimes stuck in MI logo - Sometimes stuck in Snapdragon logo). I don't know what that means.

FInally I Flashed my phone back to Chinese ROM and Re-Lock Bootloader via Fastboot, after flashing done, for the first time after boot loop for 2 days my phone went boot to menu but.. Cellular and wifi still unstable and ofter freeze and reboot itself, then I force reboot again but now cellular and wifi completely dead. Then I Fastboot and flash my phone again with same rom, when the flashing process my electricity is down and my PC is shut down, after that my phone stuck in EDL mode (COM20), and cannot boot into Recovery or Fastboot.

When I tried to flash in EDL it said (ERROR) System.Exception: authentication failed. "your account is unauthorized for this operation". I Google for solution but found nothing.
And now I really frustrated and can't do anything. If someone here could understand the situation and help me to get out this situation I really appreciate it.

View attachment 5165329

Sorry my bad English.
Thanks in advance.
Check brom exploit. Basically you can bypass Xiaomi authentication to flash without it. You need to download python, set up some libraries, and if you're in edl mode just connect phone to pc and you can avoid it. I know when you bypass it you can flash with sp flash tool the stock rom. Don't know if you can with mi flash too.

darkmatt3rs

Dec 23, 2020
You can to use EDL-master (search github).
flash with stock rom,
Check brom exploit. Basically you can bypass Xiaomi authentication to flash without it. You need to download python, set up some libraries, and if you're in edl mode just connect phone to pc and you can avoid it. I know when you bypass it you can flash with sp flash tool the stock rom. Don't know if you can with mi flash too.
Thanks man, but my phone now works, just keep it off for a week, and then did a normal flash, and bang! seems normal so far. dunno why