Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 5G on T-Mobile and unlock 5G bands if possible...

Search This thread

eclipsal

Jun 22, 2011
Hi I am interested in buying the Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 5g mainly because T-Mobile is going live with 5g where I live on Decemeber 6th 2019. But from what I know the this phone doesn't support the 5g bands for T-Mobile.

I heard that there is a way to unlock those bands on Qualcomm devices and this phone uses the Snapdragon SOC.

Can this be done?

sicurri

Dec 26, 2019
Hi I am interested in buying the Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 5g mainly because T-Mobile is going live with 5g where I live on Decemeber 6th 2019. But from what I know the this phone doesn't support the 5g bands for T-Mobile.

I heard that there is a way to unlock those bands on Qualcomm devices and this phone uses the Snapdragon SOC.

Can this be done?

So the bands for 5g that tmobile supports is not dependent on just the processor, its also dependent on what the manufacturer decides on. As with all phones, you need to see what is the most compatible cell phone provider for that phone. If the mi mix 3 does not support tmobile bands, there's no way to force it to.

Slimegod

Mar 12, 2011
So the bands for 5g that tmobile supports is not dependent on just the processor, its also dependent on what the manufacturer decides on. As with all phones, you need to see what is the most compatible cell phone provider for that phone. If the mi mix 3 does not support tmobile bands, there's no way to force it to.

Correct. I've had a discussion on a Mi Mix 3 5g thread where this guy says it's a update thing not a hardware thing. Which I feel he's clearly wrong. Cell bands have nothing to do with updates, it's a hardware thing.

genstef

Oct 22, 2012
Dear slimegpod,

The frequency is supported in hardware but we did trials and only the Vodafone and global rom version has the Vodafone de 5g Network activated.

So I am on eu rom and cannot use Vodafone de 5g only Telekom and I am planning to switch ROMs but waiting for a moment to unlock since I will lose all my data.

Slimegod

Mar 12, 2011
Dear slimegpod,

The frequency is supported in hardware but we did trials and only the Vodafone and global rom version has the Vodafone de 5g Network activated.

So I am on eu rom and cannot use Vodafone de 5g only Telekom and I am planning to switch ROMs but waiting for a moment to unlock since I will lose all my data.

Yes but I'm in the States and no carrier supports the Mix 3 5g. What other ROMs are you waiting for to install?

genstef

Oct 22, 2012
Carrier Support Not needed for mi mix 3 5g

Dear slimegood,

I called my carrier and the result was that they communicated the values to connect to the 5g network to Xiaomi and they need to add it to their firmware. The problem being that some variants of the firmware have not picked up the configuration options.

Br
Stefan

5GDude

Jan 16, 2020
Correct. I've had a discussion on a Mi Mix 3 5g thread where this guy says it's a update thing not a hardware thing. Which I feel he's clearly wrong. Cell bands have nothing to do with updates, it's a hardware thing.

Any luck? The phone does not support 5G out of the box. According to manufacturers website, "5G function will be available via OTA update. Update times depend on your specific carrier and network."
Let us know if you find a way to do it without the OTA update.

Slimegod

Mar 12, 2011
Any luck? The phone does not support 5G out of the box. According to manufacturers website, "5G function will be available via OTA update. Update times depend on your specific carrier and network."
Let us know if you find a way to do it without the OTA update.

There should be a option under network settings. I it seems the development for this device is crap though (as far as the updates are concerned). It sucks it's on MIUI v10 which I understand why but they still should've had this figured out before releasing it.

eclipsal

Jun 22, 2011
Thanks.

Well thanks for the feedback, if the firmware gets released somebody let me know. I really like the phone, but compatibility with USA 5g is really important to me.

roox911

Jan 1, 2011
i dont think it will ever get 5g support in the states - it uses a different 5g tech than what the us telecoms are proceeding with as far as i was told.

Stating that - i use it on t-mobile and i get great 4g in most places.