Xiaomi mi9 has dual gps, someone tested gps accuracy?

Search This thread

kriss3

Mar 20, 2018
This time xiaomi mi9
should use dual gps
integrated with the Qualcomm 855 chip.

The Snapdragon 855 Mobile Platform supports dual-frequency GNSS, leveraging the Galileo E1 / E5a signals as well as the GPS and QZSS L1 / L5 signals to produce a more accurate and robust location in dense urban , according to the European GNSS Agency (GSA.)

Xiaomi mi8 previously used dual gps broadcom.

What impressions do you have with this gps?

pazdzioch564

Dec 27, 2011
Is there really any difference? On normal phone you get about 3 metres accuracy, which is really good. Other question is whether You can get more in civil use

Wysłane z mojego ZUK Z2131 przy użyciu Tapatalka

fasty

May 25, 2007
Portsmouth
From my experience even the best conventional GPS can still occasionally get confused, especially around city (presumably due to "urban canyon" signal multipath effects).
I'm very interested to see how well the Snapdragon implementation of dual-frequency GNSS (as in the Mi 9) actually works in practice.
I understand that app developers are already interested in leveraging higher-accuracy GPS, for example Navigation apps telling you to change lane when necessary on a multi-lane highway (as opposed to, say, telling you to keep to lane 2).

prolaxnz

Mar 10, 2019
Doesn't seem anymore accurate than my old phone, a OnePlus 3. Still has the typical GPS-drift behaviour you see on GPS devices.

saken.sf

Apr 3, 2012
Lisbon
Used it last week on vacations while exploring Vienna over 4 days, overall good, at times confused but solved after re calibrating (when it asks to move the phone in a 8 motion), so nothing to complain.
Used easily to explore and get around sightseeing.

jetsetwilly

Dec 16, 2008
Manchester
Used today quite a bit in Manchester UK. Same as OP 6T. Nothing special, occasionally having to drive a hundred yards to get a lock on, then having to do a U-turn.

EniGmA1987

Sep 21, 2010
I used navigation for the first time yesterday with this phone, has dual GPS turned on. Dont know if it works properly where I am in the US or not. Navigation seemed the same as any other phone I have used, no better and no worse. Didnt really expect it to be better though as I am moving fast in a car. I would think dual GPS would probably help the most when walking somewhere and you actually care about an accuracy difference from 10ft to 3ft.
Lock on speed was the same from what I could tell as my last few phones, and it didnt lose lock at all.

kriss3

Mar 20, 2018
Good news.
Emui 9.1 with huawei p30 pro.
Has full dual gps-l1 and l5 support.

Gpstest already detects l5.

Now we are waiting for emui 9.1 for mate 20 / mate 20 pro/honor view 20

kriss3

Mar 20, 2018
Oppo Reno 10x hybrid zoom version uses dual-frequency GPS.

Today, OPPO’s Vice President, Shen Yiren, discussed a few details about the OPPO Reno series. Shen Yiren said on Weibo: “The 10x hybrid zoom version uses dual-frequency GPS.” The dual-frequency GPS function provides more accurate positioning. Another Chinese manufacturer, Xiaomi, was the first to apply the technology to mobile phones. The Xiaomi Mi 8 supports L1+L5 dual-frequency positioning and its accuracy is at least 3-5 times better. It is more resistant to multipath and reflected signals in urban scenes and has higher immunity to interference.

https://www.gizchina.com/2019/04/04/oppo-reno-10x-hybrid-zoom-version-uses-dual-frequency-gps/

Avamander

Jul 2, 2012
keybase.io
If find it has much better reception (I see GPS+GALILEO+GLONASS), fix speed and accuracy than my GPS-only phone. Really nice, however there's no SBAS support for some reason (although the 855 should support it).

Last edited:

omgomg

Mar 3, 2008
Portugal
P30 and P30 pro has dual gps,

Good news.
Emui 9.1 with huawei p30 pro.
Has full dual gps-l1 and l5 support.

Gpstest already detects l5.

Now we are waiting for emui 9.1 for mate 20 / mate 20 pro/honor view 20

Oppo Reno 10x hybrid zoom version uses dual-frequency GPS.

Today, OPPO’s Vice President, Shen Yiren, discussed a few details about the OPPO Reno series. Shen Yiren said on Weibo: “The 10x hybrid zoom version uses dual-frequency GPS.” The dual-frequency GPS function provides more accurate positioning. Another Chinese manufacturer, Xiaomi, was the first to apply the technology to mobile phones. The Xiaomi Mi 8 supports L1+L5 dual-frequency positioning and its accuracy is at least 3-5 times better. It is more resistant to multipath and reflected signals in urban scenes and has higher immunity to interference.

https://www.gizchina.com/2019/04/04/oppo-reno-10x-hybrid-zoom-version-uses-dual-frequency-gps/

And?

I live in a city with a lot of tall buildings etc, and the lock is instant and the accuracy excellent. I have no issues with this phone's GPS.

Last edited:

dealova2008

May 31, 2014
I have tested dualgps Mi9 (MIUI 11.0.5.0), it supports GPS L1+L5, Galileo E1+E5a, QZSS L1+L5. It really fast & accurate.

They only problem was the A-GPS connected to Chinese satellite, not Google.

Last edited:

kriss3

Mar 20, 2018
I have a question.

Redmi note 9s has snapdragon 720g.

Which supports dual gps.

Unfortunately on stock miui and
European Miui newest

Gpstest does not detect dual gps or galileo.

There are only l1 gps, glonass and Chinese.

I have root.

What to change in gps.conf to make it galileo and dual gps?