• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro MIUI 12.5 stable update based on Android 11 finally rolling out (Download link inside)

Search This thread

sigma9988

Feb 18, 2011
Taipei,Taiwan
Redmi Note 8 Pro
nice, I'll try this tom...
so, flash the full fastboot A10 latest then A11, patch vbmeta, flash TWRP-A11 + magisk, then all is OK?
in my case
i flash magisk zip via twrp > reboot loop

so i install magisk app in miui12.5, open magisk app and patch boot.img > reboot into twrp > flashing patched boot.img > its ok

Reactions: Crescendo Xenomorph

maretodoric

Mar 7, 2012
How do you patch vbmeta? Just flash it with --disable-verity --disable-verification ?
And do i have to format data, i kind of wanted to update to A11 and to keep my data.
EDIT: I managed to flash the new TWRP (thank you @sigma9988 ) but it again leaves me with unbootable OS.

Steps taken:
- I flashed vbmeta using --disable-verity --disable-verification
- I flashed new TWRP
- Rebooted phone and entered TWRP immediately
- TWRP could not decrypt partitions, they were all encrypted
- Once the phone is rebooted, it will keep booting into TWRP, not in system

To fix it, i sideloaded MIUI 12.5 via adb (from TWRP) and on reboot it will flash back stock recovery but i managed to boot into ROM.
I've ran into TWRP being unable to decrypt the partitions problem before, so i removed screen lock (pattern and fingerprint). And tried again, to no avail. Same behaviour.
So i used same workaround to bring myself back to OS. Weird.

Last edited:

sigma9988

Feb 18, 2011
Taipei,Taiwan
Redmi Note 8 Pro
How do you patch vbmeta? Just flash it with --disable-verity --disable-verification ?
And do i have to format data, i kind of wanted to update to A11 and to keep my data.
yes, fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img

===================
u can reflash miui12.5.zip via twrp again,keep data but recovery patition back to miui stock recovery

after updated miui12.5, if u want to get twrp_a11
reeboot fastboot mode
patch vbmeta
flash twrp_a11
reboot into twrp recovery
formate data
reboot

ps. i tested no format data > rebootloop (maybe encrypted cause reboot)
thats my tip

Last edited:

kekesed97

I know an upgrade method that never fails me...
Vanillafy your phone (including unroot) and flash with mi flash pro via recovery update. Then remod your device as you like... Use magisk patched boot image instead of magisk flashable for root.
I want to upgrade but it's late now here. Maybe I will do it tomorrow.

Edit: yeah, this method sure work for upgrading. Just updated to global 12.5 stable. But after I flashed twrp a11, it failed miserably. And it doesn't boot to magisk patched boot image either... And I can't go back to previous firmware without wiping. What a pain. It's time to say hello to ads outside my home network then...

Last edited:

kekesed97

So for downgrade compatibility (without wiping), I'd said something like :
1. Pre 12.0.7, I'm sure any version would do
2. 12.0.7.0 is standing alone due to encryption difference (never tried 12.0.8 to 12.0.7 because I see no point for downgrading)
3. 12.5.1 is also standing alone due to yet different encryption(?). It boots to TWRP A11, everything is encrypted and won't boot to system. I had to go back to 12.0.7.0 to face another bootloop. But thankfully TWRP is working there, so I can get out of that sticky situation.

It's not like this phone is protected with ARB. ARB is always 1 on this device. I think downgrading to any version will work with wipe. But, of course you don't wanna do that to your daily driver.

kekesed97

So for downgrade compatibility (without wiping), I'd said something like :
1. Pre 12.0.7, I'm sure any version would do
2. 12.0.7.0 is standing alone due to encryption difference (never tried 12.0.8 to 12.0.7 because I see no point for downgrading)
3. 12.5.1 is also standing alone due to yet different encryption(?). It boots to TWRP A11, everything is encrypted and won't boot to system. I had to go back to 12.0.7.0 to face another bootloop. But thankfully TWRP is working there, so I can get out of that sticky situation.

It's not like this phone is protected with ARB. ARB is always 1 on this device. I think downgrading to any version will work with wipe. But, of course you don't wanna do that to your daily driver.

maretodoric

Mar 7, 2012
I could finally make TWRP with MIUI12.5 work without loosing (too much) data. But prerequisite is to have a previous TWRP backup (from 12.0.X.X) !!!!
Download that backup to your PC

- Be on MIUI 12.5
- Reboot to fastboot
- Flash new recovery (from telegram link posted earlier by @sigma9988 , find Begonia Recovery Project 3.5.2 - Unified 3.0 OFFICIAL | Themed VersionTWRP, use Fastboot Zip)
- Enter recovery before booting the system
- Format everything (data, cache, system, vendor,.... everything, reboot to TWRP may be required after this)
- Connect the phone to PC using USB cable
- Go to Advanced -> ADB Sideload
- Sideload MIUI12.5 using command "adb sideload miui_BEGONIAGlobal_V12.5.1.0.RGGMIXM_6bfb17906c_11.0.zip"
- Sideload Recovery (use TWRP Zip)
- Patch AVB from TWRP Advanced
- Close AVB from TWRP Advanced
- From your PC, go to where you copied the previous backup
- Use "adb push <folder-with-date> /sdcard/TWRP/" (make sure that TWRP folder exists under /sdcard)
- Go to Restore in TWRP
- Restore Data only
- Reboot

Some steps may not be nececarry but this is finally working.
Eventually i also managed to flash Magisk and get root on 12.5, also using method by @sigma9988
(install magisk app in miui12.5, open magisk app and patch boot.img > reboot into twrp > flashing patched boot.img)

kekesed97

I could finally make TWRP with MIUI12.5 work without loosing (too much) data. But prerequisite is to have a previous TWRP backup (from 12.0.X.X) !!!!
Download that backup to your PC

- Be on MIUI 12.5
- Reboot to fastboot
- Flash new recovery (from telegram link posted earlier by @sigma9988 , find Begonia Recovery Project 3.5.2 - Unified 3.0 OFFICIAL | Themed VersionTWRP, use Fastboot Zip)
- Enter recovery before booting the system
- Format everything (data, cache, system, vendor,.... everything, reboot to TWRP may be required after this)
- Connect the phone to PC using USB cable
- Go to Advanced -> ADB Sideload
- Sideload MIUI12.5 using command "adb sideload miui_BEGONIAGlobal_V12.5.1.0.RGGMIXM_6bfb17906c_11.0.zip"
- Sideload Recovery (use TWRP Zip)
- Patch AVB from TWRP Advanced
- Close AVB from TWRP Advanced
- From your PC, go to where you copied the previous backup
- Use "adb push <folder-with-date> /sdcard/TWRP/" (make sure that TWRP folder exists under /sdcard)
- Go to Restore in TWRP
- Restore Data only
- Reboot

Some steps may not be nececarry but this is finally working.
Eventually i also managed to flash Magisk and get root on 12.5, also using method by @sigma9988
(install magisk app in miui12.5, open magisk app and patch boot.img > reboot into twrp > flashing patched boot.img)

Format everything? You sure about that? Phone's baseband is on the bet, and may lead to IMEI being lost if not carefully restored.

fourlans

Oct 10, 2011
Received 12.5.2.0 RGGEUXM on my redmi note 8 pro this morning. I'm in the UK
Screenshot_2021-07-26-12-04-17-218_com.android.settings.jpg

Reactions: donkyshot

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    https://www.pling.com/p/1556862/

This is for MIUI 12.5 (has Magisk included).

I haven't tested this.

Compass.
    I have tested this. Doesn't work without data wipe, and haven't tested with data wipe (can't do that to daily driver)
    Actually, it's bootlooping due to custom recovery..
    I just did it like this:
    - Download MIUI 12.5 Global from xiaomifirmwareupdater
    - Reboot to recovery
    - Flash from recovery
    - Reboot to bootloader (using adb reboot bootloader or just boot to fastboot mode by rebooting and holding down the VOL_DN)
    - Flash stock recovery (get it from xiaomifirmwareupdater, download previous ROM and extract recovery.img)

And with above I'm currently running MIUI 12.5.1. It's basically updated, I've lost no data.
    I'm gonna dig in tomorrow for flashing custom recovery if i can find some working with this..

EDIT:
    It may be that in order for TWRP to work on this ROM, a full wipe will need to be performed.
    It's bootlooping due to patched vbmeta (vbmeta flashed with --disable-verity --disable-verification). So I'm unable to get TWRP to work. We might need some developer assistance ?
    So my suspicion confirmed coz the old ROM zip got recovery image but the A11 ROM doesn't have so many files in it including recovery.img.
    Thanks for confirmation & guide....
    So, basically there's no way to root it for noW?
    TWRP A11 file from telegram begonia group, magisk app patch boot.img and flash patched .img file
    but without patching vbmeta, it'll just bootloop even with A11 ver TWRP, right?
    i patched vbmeta before flashing twrp_A11, no reboot loop.
    try format data
    I have tested this. Doesn't work without data wipe, and haven't tested with data wipe (can't do that to daily driver)
    Even with a data wipe it's possible to restore apps + data (ideally with root), using apps such as OAndBackupX, Migrate, Swift Backup or the cloud (Google Drive), each with its own limitations.

I use OAndBackupX and very few apps don't backup/restore properly.

I never backup/restore system + data (has a bigger chance to cause issues), so there's some extra work to configure the system again to your liking.

Those of you using MIUI 12.5.x, any ideas on a workaround for the battery drain while idle?

Compass.