in my case
i flash magisk zip via twrp > reboot loop
so i install magisk app in miui12.5, open magisk app and patch boot.img > reboot into twrp > flashing patched boot.img > its ok
in my case
yes, fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
I could finally make TWRP with MIUI12.5 work without loosing (too much) data. But prerequisite is to have a previous TWRP backup (from 12.0.X.X) !!!!
Download that backup to your PC
- Be on MIUI 12.5
- Reboot to fastboot
- Flash new recovery (from telegram link posted earlier by @sigma9988 , find Begonia Recovery Project 3.5.2 - Unified 3.0 OFFICIAL | Themed VersionTWRP, use Fastboot Zip)
- Enter recovery before booting the system
- Format everything (data, cache, system, vendor,.... everything, reboot to TWRP may be required after this)
- Connect the phone to PC using USB cable
- Go to Advanced -> ADB Sideload
- Sideload MIUI12.5 using command "adb sideload miui_BEGONIAGlobal_V126.96.36.199.RGGMIXM_6bfb17906c_11.0.zip"
- Sideload Recovery (use TWRP Zip)
- Patch AVB from TWRP Advanced
- Close AVB from TWRP Advanced
- From your PC, go to where you copied the previous backup
- Use "adb push <folder-with-date> /sdcard/TWRP/" (make sure that TWRP folder exists under /sdcard)
- Go to Restore in TWRP
- Restore Data only
Some steps may not be nececarry but this is finally working.
Eventually i also managed to flash Magisk and get root on 12.5, also using method by @sigma9988
(install magisk app in miui12.5, open magisk app and patch boot.img > reboot into twrp > flashing patched boot.img)
TWRP A11 file from telegram begonia group, magisk app patch boot.img and flash patched .img file
Even with a data wipe it's possible to restore apps + data (ideally with root), using apps such as OAndBackupX, Migrate, Swift Backup or the cloud (Google Drive), each with its own limitations.