General Xperia 1 IV rooted - first experiences

Search This thread

ragu24

Apr 10, 2016
Sony Xperia Pro-I
Oh excellent, thanks for this. I'll still do a basic files backup of course but still wanted everything to stay intact after any updates. I got my phone a few weeks ago with A12 and after some initiall testing it prompted to update to A13, so thought I do that first before I rooted, after I did a slight debloat and It's been running fine since.
As you know theres been a small update, so wanted to apply that, but it seems to be flaky so I'll probably wait yet. Just wish there was an OTA incremental sized file update, than needing to do a whole 3GB+ file update for us rooted users.

Oh wow, thanks for the link. As above, I'll probably wait to do this incremental update, but it's all good to know. The crazy thing is not sure has rooting and the whole process become easier over the years or harder, does seems like a chore sometimes...but I still want it.
I've been doing it since HTC Hero and some general hacking with previous non android phones. Maybe it's age.
No worries! I went from A12 to A13 and it kept everything intact, so rest assured there's almost no risk.

And yeah, I feel ya. It's inconvenient, but at least we can still update it so there's that :) Feel free to reach out if it gives any fastboot recognizing issues with newflasher or driver gremlins - I've trouble shot so many already that weren't online doc'd so can probably help ya if anything!

davestuarts

Sep 28, 2010
No worries! I went from A12 to A13 and it kept everything intact, so rest assured there's almost no risk.

And yeah, I feel ya. It's inconvenient, but at least we can still update it so there's that :) Feel free to reach out if it gives any fastboot recognizing issues with newflasher or driver gremlins - I've trouble shot so many already that weren't online doc'd so can probably help ya if anything!
Hey, thanks. will do. I did have a gremlin when I rooted the first time. Bootloader and fastboot would be seen in windows 10, had to get an old laptop out that had WIN7 on, install the drivers and got it to work. Under W10 I tried everything that I knew but not worked. Any working suggestions? Though not needing yet.

Reactions: ragu24

ragu24

Apr 10, 2016
Sony Xperia Pro-I
Hey, thanks. will do. I did have a gremlin when I rooted the first time. Bootloader and fastboot would be seen in windows 10, had to get an old laptop out that had WIN7 on, install the drivers and got it to work. Under W10 I tried everything that I knew but not worked. Any working suggestions? Though not needing yet.
So basically fastboot devices showed nothing, right? Despite phone being on standby and ready to go with blue light?

In my case, the Sa200 driver or whatever it's called had to be installed directly onto the android device sub list in the windows device manager itself - there will be on the android devices list one with a yellow triangle warning sign. Select it with right click and force the sony driver onto that one in the manual disk selection!

Will recognize it after it's installed. Also make sure the device is standing by in fastboot when you do this, that way it will appear on the list like I mentioned

davestuarts

Sep 28, 2010
So basically fastboot devices showed nothing, right? Despite phone being on standby and ready to go with blue light?

In my case, the Sa200 driver or whatever it's called had to be installed directly onto the android device sub list in the windows device manager itself - there will be on the android devices list one with a yellow triangle warning sign. Select it with right click and force the sony driver onto that one in the manual disk selection!

Will recognize it after it's installed. Also make sure the device is standing by in fastboot when you do this, that way it will appear on the list like I mentioned
Yep, it was exactly all that. I try do what you say next time. Thank for the tip.

davestuarts

Sep 28, 2010
@ragu24 Hey, hope you're well. Now that the latest firmware 64.1.A.0.869 was made available on xperifirm, I thought I'd download and install.
As you're well versed in newflasher and I've never used it, I know there is a guide but confused about this section:

SOME MORE THINGS:
"You do not need to unlock bootloader or to root the phone if you want to flash a stock firmware from XperiFirm.
There are no files in the stock firmware that need to be deleted. Prompts will ask you to skip some files.
Feel free to press N to every prompt since:
- TA dumping it's not related with DRM keys.
- Flash persist_* files only if you know what you are doing, since you will lose your attest keys. Backup persist partition.
If you need the firmware on both A and B slot use fastboot commands to choose the inactive partion and re-flash.".

Also, do I flash all filesin the folder, as discussed in guide?

I assume there will be a promt or option about the wipe command, as of course I dont want to lose my files or settings? Thanks

##update## after a basic manuakl backup, just in case I followed the guide someone linked previously:
Worked like a charm and as you said, user data all saved.
Followed up with the magisk root guide. Boom! My 5IV up-to-date
Plus I followed what you said about the fastboot driver, it worked. Thanks.
Other than security update and netflix app added, can't see any difference.
Probably all under the hood.

Last edited:

skedapdoob

Feb 22, 2023
i converted to img its saying unspupported image in magisk any way to fix?
also it is saying its a bin file on the phones file system is that normal?

ragu24

Apr 10, 2016
Sony Xperia Pro-I
@ragu24 Hey, hope you're well. Now that the latest firmware 64.1.A.0.869 was made available on xperifirm, I thought I'd download and install.
As you're well versed in newflasher and I've never used it, I know there is a guide but confused about this section:

SOME MORE THINGS:
"You do not need to unlock bootloader or to root the phone if you want to flash a stock firmware from XperiFirm.
There are no files in the stock firmware that need to be deleted. Prompts will ask you to skip some files.
Feel free to press N to every prompt since:
- TA dumping it's not related with DRM keys.
- Flash persist_* files only if you know what you are doing, since you will lose your attest keys. Backup persist partition.
If you need the firmware on both A and B slot use fastboot commands to choose the inactive partion and re-flash.".

Also, do I flash all filesin the folder, as discussed in guide?

I assume there will be a promt or option about the wipe command, as of course I dont want to lose my files or settings? Thanks
It's allegedly best practices to kill all the TA files since they have some unique info to them that makes them potentially cause conflicts with the device.

This guy did a video demo/tutorial on running newflasher

Expect a similar experience, and yeah it's good for non root as well, however if that's the case I'd recommend you OTA it since it's far easier and safer.

If you wish to still push ahead, the video shows how you can find and kill the TA files (I did it personally, cant attest to what happens if you dont), then drop the newflasher files onto the folder and let it rip. Phone must be in fastboot mode, however it will sometimes not recognize it, just switch to recovery mode instead (same steps as fastboot, except hold power button and down volume button instead of volume up).

Run newflasher again and it will take. Skip gordon flasher and the trim partition thing (don't play with this one, research shows it's for experimental purposes, so opt to skip it) and of course, keep your user data :)

Don't worry about the a and b partition, it's not a factor during newflasher, only when manually flashing the boot images during root or something. The video explains it pretty well (except for the recovery mode fallback).

Hope that clears it up!

Reactions: davestuarts

ragu24

Apr 10, 2016
Sony Xperia Pro-I
You got the boot image and upon feeding it to magisk it returns this error?

Btw, you just grab the file, no need to modify or convert it in any way. Make sure you got it off the right spot too since there's similarly named ones

davestuarts

Sep 28, 2010
I additionally followed this, worked like a charm on my 5IV

buzzcut

Dec 23, 2022
Oh excellent, thanks for this. I'll still do a basic files backup of course but still wanted everything to stay intact after any updates. I got my phone a few weeks ago with A12 and after some initiall testing it prompted to update to A13, so thought I do that first before I rooted, after I did a slight debloat and It's been running fine since.
As you know theres been a small update, so wanted to apply that, but it seems to be flaky so I'll probably wait yet. Just wish there was an OTA incremental sized file update, than needing to do a whole 3GB+ file update for us rooted users.

Oh wow, thanks for the link. As above, I'll probably wait to do this incremental update, but it's all good to know. The crazy thing is not sure has rooting and the whole process become easier over the years or harder, does seems like a chore sometimes...but I still want it.
I've been doing it since HTC Hero and some general hacking with previous non android phones. Maybe it's age.
Same as my case, been rooting all of my phones since HTC Hero time too, it's much easier to root nowadays compared to back then.

Reactions: davestuarts
You literally get the software, you drop the Newsflasher software in the update folder after connecting your phone via fastboot or recovery, voila

It unroots after updating, but to fix it, after the update, you unsin the vendor image with magisk, flash the magisk vendor image - root is back :)

You lose no data unless you use the wipe command. Only reason it happens initially on first root is since you unlock the bootloader, it has a defense mechanism if you may (to protect user data). After this, you can just apply the new software and keep your data moving forward.
I've been on Samsung rooted for years but moving to Xperia. The answer above is 100% correct. My advice is any OTC workaround is dicey and to be avoided, even if theoretically possible. I suggest everyone accept that as a minor inconvenience. On the plus side it could prevent you from an automatic update you didn't want.

• Love

SonicSamZ

Oct 10, 2010
The phone becomes incredibly sluggish when it gets hot. I don't know if it's framerate alone, or CPU throttling, but it feels like absolute garbage.

Anything on the root side to help with that? Either by forcing 120Hz or by disabling throttling (again I'm not entirely sure what the "issue" is yet so I am being vague)

ragu24

Apr 10, 2016
Sony Xperia Pro-I
The phone becomes incredibly sluggish when it gets hot. I don't know if it's framerate alone, or CPU throttling, but it feels like absolute garbage.

Anything on the root side to help with that? Either by forcing 120Hz or by disabling throttling (again I'm not entirely sure what the "issue" is yet so I am being vague)
I'm on Pro-I but this still applies...

You can use FKM and set per app profiles to switch the CPU and GPU dynamically

I set some apps to disable the prime core, or even more cores depending on which app.

I also undervolted the GPU and made custom frequencies for it (overclocked from 840Mhz to 855Mhz and also as low as 150Mhz now possible).

I also used a magisk module to remove thermal limits so it does away with throttling, although battery has hardware based throttling that starts at 52°C and ramps up at 56°C. Mind you this is battery temp. Camera apps and such no longer show warning or stop you though.

And yes, there are modules to force 120Hz, but they can impact your experience with Game Enhancer (mess with the 240Hz mode).

Dfps is the name of the module

If you want to streamline all of the above, you can also go with the Uperf module. Im more of a DIY custom tailored guy tho

Reactions: SonicSamZ

ragu24

Apr 10, 2016
Sony Xperia Pro-I
Starting with dfps first, already impressed with this. Thank you!
No worries!

Definitely try the GPU mods btw, you can find the granular konabess app here

It allows fine voltage control unlike the main one. Either download someone's settings and hope for the best, or fine tune it yourself as per your silicone lottery!

Backup your stock image onto a pc before touching anything tho (has an integrated option to do this, just save it onto your PC in case it soft bricks).

Makes a massive difference when gaming

Reactions: SonicSamZ

Doom Slayer

Jan 16, 2011
Mars
Sony Xperia 1 IV
Considering to root my device...
Would be nice to know a few things.
1. Will it have that startup message that device is unlocked and can't be trusted?
2. Any root fix for green tint or more advanced gamma correction?
3. Have anyone tried using Repainter app to switch dark grey theme to pitch black?

SonicSamZ

Oct 10, 2010
1. Will it have that startup message that device is unlocked and can't be trusted?
It's more pretty than I'm used to for other phones, but it's a simple centered message in the screen that says device integrity can't be verified (or something like that, I returned my Xperia 1 IV)

You don't need to "dismiss" it, it goes away on its own a second or 2 later.

Reactions: Doom Slayer

ragu24

Apr 10, 2016
Sony Xperia Pro-I
Can you please share this module?
Here's all the must have Root stuff I use. I included godly torch too, to use max torch brightness, and my undervolt presets if you feel like trying konabess (backup your image from the app if you wish to do so though)

The thermal module is the Vivo8Gen1.zip

It was meant for a vivo phone but happens to work well with 1 and 5 mk III/IV and Pro-I

Doesn't impact screen throttling, although for that you can use 'dfps' (didn't include it here). I avoid dfps though as it goes extra hard on screen which I do care for, as well as interferes with the Game Enhancer refresh rate controls since it's a force override.

Attachments

• vivo8gen1温控解除.zip
    34.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Konabess 0.19 granulated.apk
    666.4 KB · Views: 9
  • LPDDR5 BUS & L3 Cache Unlock Module.zip
    2 KB · Views: 21
  • Pro-I Garec Undervolts.txt
    1 KB · Views: 10
  • GodlyTorch-1.4.6-640.apk
    4.1 MB · Views: 35
  • safetynet-fix-v2.4.0.zip
    94.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Doom Slayer

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I bought my Xperia 1 IV last week and almost considered returning it at first, because it was overheating a lot the first day. I have sort of a traumatic experience with overheating phones as I had the Z5 which was simply a bad phone with the Snapdragon 810 and insufficient cooling. After some research I read the same thing about the Xperia 1 III, with people saying that the "AI needs to learn" and it will "go away after 2 days". It still gets warm, but I did notice I was overly conscious of it, and since I had my XZ3 around with my SIM inside, I could do some comparisons. The XZ3 has a much smaller hotspot, so when it gets warm, it's only above the camera area on the back, and you don't really feel it holding in your hand. When the 1IV gets warm, the heat is spread along the top half of the back and into the sides so you're much more aware of when it gets warm. So I decided to just keep it, root it and start using it as my daily phone.

The rooting experience was problem free, just like with my XZ3. Grab the unlock code from Sony, use XperiFirm to extract boot.sin, use unSIN to convert to boot.img, do the same with vbmeta.sin, install Magisk, use it to patch boot.img, use fastboot to oem unlock and flash the patched boot.img and unpatched vbmeta.img. Done! I looked at installing a custom recovery, but TWRP doesn't support Android 12 yet, so I'll just have to be careful and not get myself into situations where I need recovery to bail me out of bootloops for now.

What works:
    Magisk 25.1
    Zygisk
    LSPosed 1.8.3
    Universal SafetyNet Fix 2.2.1
    fbind v2021.12.7
    MagiskHide Props Config 6.1.2 (used to hide navbar and enable bluetooth in-band ringing)
    G-VisualMod 4.1 (although I removed it again because it didn't do what I wanted)
    Modded GCam 8.1.101 A9 GV2a ENG (for Night Sight as the Sony camera app has no equivalent - only issue is clipped highlights turn yellow)
    Fluid Navigation Gestures (navbar hide doesn't work but see above for workaround)
    YouTube Vanced non-root mode (make sure to set microG to restricted battery mode)
    XPrivacyLua 1.31

What doesn't work:
    Immersive mode and any apps/mods that claim to enable it
    AOSP Mods (crashes SystemUI constantly and most of the mods don't work)
    GravityBox (S) (crashes GPS apps like google maps / waze)
    MinMinGuard 2.1.1 (shows 0 ads blocked)
    YouTube Vanced root mode (YouTube app is too new, can't downgrade)

Another issue I encountered is that Google Maps on my XZ3 has driving mode available, but since this is Android 12, there is a new revamped version of driving mode that is region locked to US/CA/UK/AU. You will get "Driving mode is not yet available in your region" in unsupported regions. The workaround is to sign out from Google Maps, add the Driving Mode shortcut to your home screen, and then sign in again. The shortcut will work even when signed back in.

I really resent not being able to hide the (rather big) status bar and all the OLED burn in consequences of having the status bar visible at all times. The pixel shifting of the status bar icons is also fairly extreme and it really looks ugly when the icons are crooked compared to the rest of the UI. I always had immersive mode enabled on my XZ3 and after 3.5 years of daily use I have zero burn in. If anyone has ideas or suggestions to get immersive mode re-enabled on Android 12, I'd love to hear them.
    UPDATE: I managed to hide the status bar with Xposed Edge Pro! I've set up a trigger to hide the status bar when the Xperia Home launcher loses focus and to unhide it when the launcher gains focus. This way, the home screen shows the clock, battery and notifications, but during app use there is no burn in from the status bar. It's basically how I had it set up on my XZ3, although I used Immersive Manager which unfortunately no longer works on Android 11 and higher. The only downside to using Xposed Edge is that you can briefly see the home screen reflowing when the status bar appears. Curiously, you can't see the other apps reflow when the status bar disappears again, even with doubled animation speed.

The phone buzzer is also really strong, to the point where if you have it on a hard surface like a table, it makes a lot of noise vibrating. I tried Vibration Tuner but it hasn't been updated in so long that it doesn't work. Are there any modern alternatives? The haptic feedback is too strong for my liking as well.
    How to relock bootloader. I`m sending my phone for service.
    use fastboot oem lock command it might ask you for the unlock code you got from sony. However they will see that you have requested an unlock code and EMMA2 will flag it out of warranty. I was working in a repair center years ago. Every time a relocked Sony phone was plugged in to Sony's EMMA software (that works only on-line) it was flagged as OOW or refused to install the factory software. EMMA is basically an advanced repair version of the Sony Companion software suite, but it lets you downgrade upgrade change CID number or customer ID number on any board most of replacement Sony boards come without software installed (Brown=empty boards)
    I would love to have TWRP so I can make nandroid backups and cover my ass if/when I softbrick my phone. However, there is no TWRP for Android 12 yet, so we'll have to manage without it. As for tweaks/mods, most if not everything can be done using Magisk these days.
    I would suggest asking in the relevant forum for your phone, this thread is about the Xperia 1 IV.
    As this is the *only* current gen SD 8 phone with both a 3.5mm jack *and* an SD card slot, it may end up being my next upgrade. As my third hard requirement is at least the possibility of rooting it(I always do this before a phone can become my daily driver), this does a lot to seal the deal, so to speak, and is extremely helpful besides.

With my current phone(a Motorola g100) experiencing digitizer errors, even still under warranty, I may just upgrade and sell it after the warranty repair.