Question Xperia overheating problem

Search This thread

blacksunas

Jul 11, 2022
Hello. I am following user experiences with this phone and lately i have saw that many people have started to complain about its overheating thing. I have almost bought this phone recently but after i saw that this is maybe not i software issue but more likely hardware i pulled back. Is it really so overheating that cant use in normal basis and maybe there was an update and issue fixed?

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Welcome to XDA 🤗

You probably should hold off until the dust settles... if it ever does.
Variable refresh rate displays have been nothing but trouble. Android 11 and especially 12 are no blessing either.
Expensive hand warmers are getting popular it seems.

blacksunas

Jul 11, 2022
I do like to hear fresh current user experiences from I IV users. I heard that in USA there have been an update who fixed this problem.
I have Xperia 1 II and would like to buy 1 IV because there is i good deal. I dont want to miss it.

invasion13

I do like to hear fresh current user experiences from I IV users. I heard that in USA there have been an update who fixed this problem.
I have Xperia 1 II and would like to buy 1 IV because there is i good deal. I dont want to miss it.
Hi, i posted here* my experience (notice it has been updated to firmware 64.0.A.5.71 (Europe) since that post (before was 64.0.A.5.27) , and as it was the 12th July , i didnt get enough time to check if there were some improvements for the heat worry with video/photo .

Also since i had been suggested by sony support to do a "software fix/repair" (translated from french) with the Xperia Companion App , rather than a factory reset .

i am not willing to do that because as you may know , for none-rooted devices only google Backup is available and not all google Apps will be restored with their settings (parameters, logins, passwords) , it depends on developpers choices, so, as i had already to do that for migrating from my Samsung S20 to Xperia I.IV , i spent 3 days to set/fix all apps (only 90/250 wre fully restored)

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/1-mark-iv-rumor.4440005/post-87092173 .

Last edited:
Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Hi, i posted here my experience (notice it has been updated to firmware 64.0.A.5.71 (Europe) since that post (before was 64.0.A.5.27) , and as it was the 12th July , i didnt get enough time to check if there were some improvements for the heat worry with video/photo .

Also since i had been suggested by sony support to do a "software fix/repair" (translated from french) with the Xperia Companion App , rather than a factory reset .

i am not willing to do that because as you may know , for none-rooted devices only google Backup is available and not all google Apps will be restored with their settings (parameters, logins, passwords) , it depends on developpers choices, so, as i had already to do that for migrating from my Samsung S20 to Xperia I.IV , i spent 3 days to set/fix all apps (only 90/250 wre fully restored)

You're best off if you can find the root cause or a work around for the issue(s).
Updates may make matters worse and change the playing field which means more of your time to relearn it and new issues to find workarounds for🤣
Play with it. Eventually you'll likely track it down.

This N10+ is still running well on Pie. Current load is over 2 yo, still fast and stable with minimal maintenance. Once optimized this is what Android is capable of... no need to upgrade or update. Security isn't an issue unless you do something stupid on Android 9 and higher.

I use ApkExport to make installable copies of all my apps including system apks. I use apps that support full backup data like Poweramp and ColorNote.
There may be a more recent version; not sure if this will run on Android 11 and up. Still works on 10 I believe.

Attachments

• APK Export 3.2.4.apk
    137.3 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: invasion13

invasion13

You're best off if you can find the root cause or a work around for the issue(s).
Updates may make matters worse and change the playing field which means more of your time to relearn it and new issues to find workarounds for🤣
Sure :) still hoping
This N10+ is still running well on Pie. Current load is over 2 yo, still fast and stable with minimal maintenance. Once optimized this is what Android is capable of... no need to upgrade or update. Security isn't an issue unless you do something stupid on Android 9 and higher.
i didnt get the N10+ reference or model ;) ?
I use ApkExport to make installable copies of all my apps including system apks. I use apps that support full backup data like Poweramp and ColorNote.
There may be a more recent version; not sure if this will run on Android 11 and up. Still works on 10 I believe.
Ok thks i'll have on look on that useful suggestion , i have been also a fan of poweramp since their beginings and had paid for the pro version before it became free :)

Last edited:
Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+

Ok thks i'll have on look on that useful suggestion , i am also a fan of poweramp since their beginings and had pay for the pro version before it became free :)
You're welcome.
My Samsung Note 10+ experience is an example of why you want to work it through. Learn, and use the tools available to troubleshoot the issues. After you play with it for a while it's idiosyncrasies start making sense. Upgrade/update only if really needed and is a well researched decision. I think Android 9 was the OS's zenith. Android 12 isn't pretty and 13 looks like a complete disaster so far.

I paid for Poweramp too, no regrets it's the best.
I use ColorNote for my bookmarks. You can hyperlink directly to the webpage from ColorNote. I firewall block ColorNote however just to be on the safe side. It auto backs up to my SD card

blacksunas

Jul 11, 2022
Screenshot_20220727-082358~2.png

invasion13

Hi just got today from Sony support : "
We have just released a maintenance software update to address heat buildup and improve image quality when shooting with the telephoto lens.

The update will be available from August in Europe (update availability may vary by region and carrier). It is always recommended to update your device with the latest software available."

Reactions: Thaiban

blacksunas

Jul 11, 2022
Hi just got today from Sony support : "
We have just released a maintenance software update to address heat buildup and improve image quality when shooting with the telephoto lens.

The update will be available from August in Europe (update availability may vary by region and carrier). It is always recommended to update your device with the latest software available."
Great news.

blacksunas

Jul 11, 2022
Some updates have come today. Is it camera fix update?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220801-104816.png
    Screenshot_20220801-104816.png
    554.8 KB · Views: 96

blacksunas

Jul 11, 2022
So we have to wait, if the safety patch 1st july has been just released the 1st August, for the camera update perhaps september...
ps: i just read that post:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/battery-standby-drain.4474597/post-87227217
Maybe. But after this update i think camera acting diferently. And after update there was warning in camera app not ticked as it was. I also have filmed video for longer than 3 minutes in 4K with auto focus in sdr.

invasion13

Maybe. But after this update i think camera acting diferently. And after update there was warning in camera app not ticked as it was. I also have filmed video for longer than 3 minutes in 4K with auto focus in sdr.
Hi, i tested and saw no great improvment so far : before, using Video Pro [dont know the name in English , translated from french, but not the Movie Pro(with venice settings etc)]
with last but one firmware between 12' and 15' of video (indoor, not moving, pointed to my TV playing a movie) T° around 30°C) then stops ; with latest firmware 18'
i am using the default settings (see capture) but perhaps mine is definitively a faulty unit

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220803-124046.png
    Screenshot_20220803-124046.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 83
Last edited:

Assimilator-X

Jun 3, 2022
If you cannot deal with the overheating, just return the phone. Sony will not be able to solve the lack of heat sink with software update and give us the full power of the 8 gen 1 chip. This phone should have been designed at least as thick as the camera units on it, including a bigger battery and a proper vapour chamber heat sink to utilize this chip to its full potential. I am a sony user since 2005 some sony devices are good some are better, some are totally junk. There is only one phone currently that did a proper job. "ZTE nubia REDMAGIC 7 5G Gaming Phone"

invasion13

If you cannot deal with the overheating, just return the phone. Sony will not be able to solve the lack of heat sink with software update and give us the full power of the 8 gen 1 chip. This phone should have been designed at least as thick as the camera units on it, including a bigger battery and a proper vapour chamber heat sink to utilize this chip to its full potential. I am a sony user since 2005 some sony devices are good some are better, some are totally junk. There is only one phone currently that did a proper job. "ZTE nubia REDMAGIC 7 5G Gaming Phone"
I will exchange mine next week , as i read in a Xperia IV test (from french website*) , that their first model was overheating and they asked Sony to give them another one to test
*https://www.frandroid.com/marques/sony/1373049_test-sony-xperia-1-iv

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Screenshot_20220830-085539.png

New update found. Anyone knows what it is?
    View attachment 5699991
    I have tried to film in 4K 120 fps autofocus on and HDR and after 7 minutes there is no heat warning.

I found on reddit about update with same size.
    Screenshot_20220830-114633.png
    Is the overheating fixed? Or does still persist?
    Still overheats with 64.0.A.8.25.
    Sony should recall the back cover of the 1 IV and release a revised version with a vapour chamber or at least one with a heat-pipe system. This is embarrassing, really. I can take videos up to about 10 minutes but unfortunately it "depends on the weather" how hot is the environment when is shouldn't be really. If it is torching hot outside, or i am under the nice sun, i cannot even take a 3minutes video.
    View attachment 5699991
    I have tried to film in 4K 120 fps autofocus on and HDR and after 7 minutes there is no heat warning.

I found on reddit about update with same size.
    Screenshot_20220830-114633.png
    Hi, i posted here my experience (notice it has been updated to firmware 64.0.A.5.71 (Europe) since that post (before was 64.0.A.5.27) , and as it was the 12th July , i didnt get enough time to check if there were some improvements for the heat worry with video/photo .

Ok thks i'll have on look on that useful suggestion , i have been also a fan of poweramp since their beginings and had paid for the pro version before it became free :)