Xperia Play PS2 Games.

Search This thread

AndroHero

May 28, 2010
Manchester
You will not see PS2 games on the Xperia Play. Geohot will no longer be touching the Xperia Play as per his lawsuit resolution with Sony. PS1 games are running under emulation on the Xperia Play.

Please dont misquote me, i never said the ps1 games were not emulated, i said that the play does not emulate ps1 games like conventional emulators.

Last edited:

Unrealwolf

Jan 10, 2007
Saint-Petersburg
Sony has confirmed that ps2 games will be availible just not for the play..... i quote "playstation 2 games will be availible when the playstation suite launches for tegra 2 based playstation certified devices"

Is there an official press-release from Sony? Googling your quote leads only to this thread.
Only source about PS2 on Android i've seen was the article about PS Suite on tegra2 in Tegra Zone android app, but the part about PS2 titles was removed very soon after the article was posted - it seems that Sony didn't like it.

Dec 30, 2010
Please dont misquote me, i never said the ps1 games were not emulated, i said that the play does not emulate ps1 games like conventional emulators.

If I remember rightly they are the same file types used for the ps3 psn downloaded content which is eboots maybe theres a way to use the ps3 eboot maker already available to make our own isos play on our play using the built in ps emu. :confused:

AndroHero

May 28, 2010
Manchester
If I remember rightly they are the same file types used for the ps3 psn downloaded content which is eboots maybe theres a way to use the ps3 eboot maker already available to make our own isos play on our play using the built in ps emu. :confused:

Thats an idea, but someone will have to write a hacked loader, to interface between the emu and the sd card :)

Sent from my Xperia Play using Tapatalk

noxlord

Apr 4, 2011
Xperia XZ2
aha your missing the point my friend, forget emulators as such for the moment, sony do not need to emulate there software like conventional emulators do, as they have access to the proprietary code, that other companies cannot use because of copywrite, so they are using some java tricks and there own knowledge regarding there hardware to make the playstation games run more as a native android app than an emulator.

You are right, Sony does not need to emulate anything or use retro-engineering to get ps2 games working on the Play.

dsswoosh

Feb 6, 2011
You are right, Sony does not need to emulate anything or use retro-engineering to get ps2 games working on the Play.

Which basically brings us full circles to the point at hand.

Financially it makes no sense.

They need to gather a team together to decompile, recode and recompile game code.

Running natively on another piece of hardware is far too much work compared to emulating on more powerful hardware.

Ps2 games will be emulated or nothing.

zerojay

Aug 3, 2010
Guys, it's simply an emulator. The PS1 games are all playing under emulation - yes, just like the other free emulators on Android, just officially endorsed and with official documentation on how the original machine worked so that emulation could be more proper than the free alternatives (and with extra protection/encryption/features).

No one in their right mind would attempt to rewrite an entire game's code for Java for each and every single game they want to release. It would end up costing the company more than the original version of the game. The only time you see stuff like that happen is if they decide to do a full remake of a game. You'd have to be insane to do it any other way.

There's no "java tricks" that are going to magically allow you to recompile games to make them work on the Xperia Play. Anyone that knows anything about programming and has worked on console games before can tell you that. Also, Sony doesn't receive source code from 3rd parties. When you submit your game to your publisher, the publisher takes the source code and archives it. It only sends hardware manufacturers final mastered disk images.

An emulator is the ONLY way you do this with any financial sense unless your hardware is already backwards compatible with the hardware the original game ran on (it's not). You can't simply recompile console games like that. You pay a team $300,000 over a year to make the emulator once that you can use to play hundreds of different games you can sell at $5 a pop... or sure, you can spend double that amount *per game you want to sell* if you want to go the recompile/remake way.

Last edited:
Reactions: sufy1000

Clyzm

Jun 28, 2010
Toronto
The best Sony can do is write an interpreter or an emulator. The Xperia Play is most certainly not fast enough to interpret PS2 code on the fly, so that leaves us with an emulator.

All things considered, there's probably a fair shot of PS2/PSP compatibility when we consider that the PSP ran PS1 games through emulation, and had significantly lower hardware specs than this phone.

The real question though is whether or not Sony is willing to devote so many resources in the form of time and money into a project like this.

DeadlyDazza

Jul 3, 2010
Just remember, the Play has very little to do with SONY and don't be surprised when they distance themselves from it shortly at every opportunity.
They've already stated that the play or PS Suite will have nothing to do with PSN.

Xperia Play is Sony Ericsson who make phones so don't get your hopes up for anything gaming related that doesn't have anything to do with mobile devices currently in development.

AndroHero

May 28, 2010
Manchester
Just remember, the Play has very little to do with SONY and don't be surprised when they distance themselves from it shortly at every opportunity.
They've already stated that the play or PS Suite will have nothing to do with PSN.

Xperia Play is Sony Ericsson who make phones so don't get your hopes up for anything gaming related that doesn't have anything to do with mobile devices currently in development.

lets not fall out guys, i love you all too much :D lol

Techdread

Apr 27, 2010
London

Sony would have to cancel these tablets to distance themselves as they are going to be Playstation certified.:p

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/26/sony-to-launch-two-honeycomb-tablets/

illuminerdi

May 6, 2011
aha your missing the point my friend, forget emulators as such for the moment, sony do not need to emulate there software like conventional emulators do, as they have access to the proprietary code, that other companies cannot use because of copywrite, so they are using some java tricks and there own knowledge regarding there hardware to make the playstation games run more as a native android app than an emulator.

I can assure you that no amount of knowledge or java tricks would enable the Xperia Play to play PS2 games easily. The only way a PS2 game could run as a "native" app would be through porting.

A single PS2 game *could* potentially be PORTED to the Xperia play, but that would basically be the same as any other game being ported to any platform - it would be very costly, take a long time, and a lot of resources. In other words, it's not worth the effort, since they'd have to sell the game for like 20 bucks, and would only sell a small amount of copies, and is not financially viable. The reason they can sell PS1 games for 5 bucks on the Xperia is because it runs an emulator, so it takes all of 20 minutes to get the game running on the Xperia, which means even a few thousand copies sold turns a profit - hence why emulation is so lucrative for companies like Sony.

As for a PS2 emulator running on the Xperia play: it's *very* unlikely. The PS2 is a 300mhz system, running a vastly different chip architecture than the chip in the Xperia Play, meaning that the Xperia would have to emulate the PS2, which the Xpera Play just is not powerful enough to do. No amount of Sony wizardry can change that. There is no hard and fast rule about emulation, but to give you a general idea: the SNES is an 8mhz system and it takes systems 200-400mhz to emulate it full speed.

Krislawl

Mar 18, 2010
I'd love to see the source for that. There's semi modern computers that struggle with PS2 games.

in one of the interviews with sony ericsson they stated that sony would be announcing stuff at e3 for the xperia play. sony will probably be the ones to bring over psp/ps2 ports to the xperia play.

AndroHero

May 28, 2010
Manchester
I can assure you that no amount of knowledge or java tricks would enable the Xperia Play to play PS2 games easily. The only way a PS2 game could run as a "native" app would be through porting.

A single PS2 game *could* potentially be PORTED to the Xperia play, but that would basically be the same as any other game being ported to any platform - it would be very costly, take a long time, and a lot of resources. In other words, it's not worth the effort, since they'd have to sell the game for like 20 bucks, and would only sell a small amount of copies, and is not financially viable. The reason they can sell PS1 games for 5 bucks on the Xperia is because it runs an emulator, so it takes all of 20 minutes to get the game running on the Xperia, which means even a few thousand copies sold turns a profit - hence why emulation is so lucrative for companies like Sony.

As for a PS2 emulator running on the Xperia play: it's *very* unlikely. The PS2 is a 300mhz system, running a vastly different chip architecture than the chip in the Xperia Play, meaning that the Xperia would have to emulate the PS2, which the Xpera Play just is not powerful enough to do. No amount of Sony wizardry can change that. There is no hard and fast rule about emulation, but to give you a general idea: the SNES is an 8mhz system and it takes systems 200-400mhz to emulate it full speed.

Right i was talking about playstation games not ps2 games, other people were talking about that .... But in retort, the xbox 360 plays original xbox games under emulation and is nowhere near 3 or 4 times as powerful lol i understand wt you are saying though and totally agree

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AndroHero

May 28, 2010
Manchester
Right i was talking about playstation games not ps2 games, other people were talking about that .... But in retort, the xbox 360 plays original xbox games under emulation and is nowhere near 3 or 4 times as powerful lol i understand wt you are saying though and totally agree

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In this thread: people who know nothing about programming, emulation, or hardware insisting that Sony can emulate PS2 (which is very difficult to emulate, by design) on hardware slower than quad core dual gpu gaming PCs that still struggle to emulate PS2.

Reality check, folks, it isn't going to happen. The problem with emulating PS2 isn't in it's speed, but in its synchronous architecture. That's why powerhouse PCs still have trouble. Synchronizing the 2 emulated chips in software at the speed the original hardware does it is nearly impossible. If sony can't get it working on PS3 without including PS2 hardware in the box, it isn't going to happen on an Android phone. I'm sorry, we'd all like it to, but it's technically impossible.

Sent from my R800x using XDA App
    Highly unlikely.

As a general rule of thumb, you need a machine approximately 3 tims as powerful as the machine you are emulating.

My old 2.2ghz PC with duo Core and a 4670 ATI radeon is way more powerful than the xperia play, and it slowed to a grind with PS2 emulators.

As much as i would love to see it happen, i believe the N64 is as far as emulation will go on the Xperia Play.

Guys, it's simply an emulator. The PS1 games are all playing under emulation - yes, just like the other free emulators on Android, just officially endorsed and with official documentation on how the original machine worked so that emulation could be more proper than the free alternatives (and with extra protection/encryption/features).

No one in their right mind would attempt to rewrite an entire game's code for Java for each and every single game they want to release. It would end up costing the company more than the original version of the game. The only time you see stuff like that happen is if they decide to do a full remake of a game. You'd have to be insane to do it any other way.

There's no "java tricks" that are going to magically allow you to recompile games to make them work on the Xperia Play. Anyone that knows anything about programming and has worked on console games before can tell you that. Also, Sony doesn't receive source code from 3rd parties. When you submit your game to your publisher, the publisher takes the source code and archives it. It only sends hardware manufacturers final mastered disk images.

An emulator is the ONLY way you do this with any financial sense unless your hardware is already backwards compatible with the hardware the original game ran on (it's not). You can't simply recompile console games like that. You pay a team $300,000 over a year to make the emulator once that you can use to play hundreds of different games you can sell at $5 a pop... or sure, you can spend double that amount *per game you want to sell* if you want to go the recompile/remake way.
    That version of ps3 (and the second tier ps3 releases in the US, metal gear solid 4 bundle) emulated the cpu in software, but still had a hardware gpu. I may have that backwards, but it only ever worked halfway emulated at best. There was always ps2 hardware present.

Sent from my R800x using XDA App