Xperia Play PS2 Games.

Search This thread

AndroHero

May 28, 2010
Manchester
Hmmm http://www.pcworld.com/article/228195/sony_ericsson_xperia_play_first_look.html

PC world is reporting this : Sony Ericsson told me today that it anticipates even more titles--fromboth PlayStation I and II--to become available via the PlayStation Suite, a library of game development tools.

REALLY!? PS2 games? I'll believe it when I see it

the ps2 titles will be availible for tegra 2 based playstation certified devices not the xperia play :)

dsswoosh

Feb 6, 2011
Playing PS2 games on a phone without hardware keys will be useless.

Touchscreen is horrible for emulator games.

Really...

Really...

Bad.

nagara11

Sep 18, 2011
well enough of spoiling the good news here, let's just hope for the best that they can create one. eventually all of us here will benefit if they succeeded, we can play ps2 games in a simplest way, we cannot predict what can happen but the only thing i know is that technology grew faster that almost everything is possible. i own a xpria play so hahaha i hope to play FFX soon.

ncaissie

May 15, 2011
aha your missing the point my friend, forget emulators as such for the moment, sony do not need to emulate there software like conventional emulators do, as they have access to the proprietary code, that other companies cannot use because of copywrite, so they are using some java tricks and there own knowledge regarding there hardware to make the playstation games run more as a native android app than an emulator.

I have said this before and everyone flipped out. I think you are beating a dead horse. We will just have to wait and see. I do think that Sony may port PSP or PS2 games to the play.

typikal82

Oct 22, 2010
I bet IF they do any PS2 games they will be ported and not emulated.

I do remember God of War being mentioned when PS Suite was originally announced, but nothing since.

ncaissie

May 15, 2011
Which basically brings us full circles to the point at hand.

Financially it makes no sense.

They need to gather a team together to decompile, recode and recompile game code.

Running natively on another piece of hardware is far too much work compared to emulating on more powerful hardware.

Ps2 games will be emulated or nothing.

How do you know how much it would take financially? Feel free to link your sources.

Edit: I just noticed this is an old thread. :( Stop diging up old threads for nothing.

Last edited:

dsswoosh

Feb 6, 2011
How do you know how much it would take financially? Feel free to link your sources.

Edit: I just noticed this is an old thread. :( Stop diging up old threads for nothing.

For one, decompiling, and recompiling natively and testing takes ages.

For two, the PS1 games sold less than ive had pairs of trainers.

It really doesnt take a genius to figure out that for financial reasons, a native PS2 project is going nowhere on the Xperia Play.

I must agree. PS2 will either be emulated, or nothing.

And since its highly unlikey there is a skilled enough programmer in the World to make a PS2 emulator run smoothly on the hardware of the Xperia Play, it is nothing.

edit - just realised you quoted an old post of mine. I guess im agreeing with myself LOL !

crono141

Jan 4, 2011
West Columbia, SC
In this thread: people who know nothing about programming, emulation, or hardware insisting that Sony can emulate PS2 (which is very difficult to emulate, by design) on hardware slower than quad core dual gpu gaming PCs that still struggle to emulate PS2.

Reality check, folks, it isn't going to happen. The problem with emulating PS2 isn't in it's speed, but in its synchronous architecture. That's why powerhouse PCs still have trouble. Synchronizing the 2 emulated chips in software at the speed the original hardware does it is nearly impossible. If sony can't get it working on PS3 without including PS2 hardware in the box, it isn't going to happen on an Android phone. I'm sorry, we'd all like it to, but it's technically impossible.

Sent from my R800x using XDA App

Rogue Leader

Apr 4, 2011
New York
In this thread: people who know nothing about programming, emulation, or hardware insisting that Sony can emulate PS2 (which is very difficult to emulate, by design) on hardware slower than quad core dual gpu gaming PCs that still struggle to emulate PS2.

Reality check, folks, it isn't going to happen. The problem with emulating PS2 isn't in it's speed, but in its synchronous architecture. That's why powerhouse PCs still have trouble. Synchronizing the 2 emulated chips in software at the speed the original hardware does it is nearly impossible. If sony can't get it working on PS3 without including PS2 hardware in the box, it isn't going to happen on an Android phone. I'm sorry, we'd all like it to, but it's technically impossible.

Just wanted to point something out (in support of your conclusion though). Strangely enough Sony briefly DID offer a PS3 with software PS2 emulation in Europe. They quickly dropped that version of the system as it supported even LESS games than the hardware/software based solution in the original PS3. Basically it worked like crap and pissed off people enough that they just said the heck with it and dropped support.

So basically if the PS3 which is a monster compared to the Xperia Play couldn't do it, you're damn sure the Play isn't ever gonna have it.

crono141

Jan 4, 2011
West Columbia, SC
That version of ps3 (and the second tier ps3 releases in the US, metal gear solid 4 bundle) emulated the cpu in software, but still had a hardware gpu. I may have that backwards, but it only ever worked halfway emulated at best. There was always ps2 hardware present.

Reactions: MechaBouncer

SondreVAIO

Mar 21, 2011
as they've announced xperia play will be supporting ps2 games in the near future. but are there any plans of releasing emulators for the ps2

I think you ment PSP games :).

Sony confirmed PSP games on Playstation Certified devices. Maybe Xperia PLAY. But its coming to Sony S1

Sent from my R800i using xda premium

HankKing

Aug 5, 2011
I'l admit i know nothing beforehand but in regards to this topic, i believe everyone is looking at this in at a straight forward view:

Emulation or Porting

But if you tilt your head a little you will see a third option, streaming. What if they are enabling the play station network to stream the game back the phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Highly unlikely.

As a general rule of thumb, you need a machine approximately 3 tims as powerful as the machine you are emulating.

My old 2.2ghz PC with duo Core and a 4670 ATI radeon is way more powerful than the xperia play, and it slowed to a grind with PS2 emulators.

As much as i would love to see it happen, i believe the N64 is as far as emulation will go on the Xperia Play.

aha your missing the point my friend, forget emulators as such for the moment, sony do not need to emulate there software like conventional emulators do, as they have access to the proprietary code, that other companies cannot use because of copywrite, so they are using some java tricks and there own knowledge regarding there hardware to make the playstation games run more as a native android app than an emulator.
    Guys, it's simply an emulator. The PS1 games are all playing under emulation - yes, just like the other free emulators on Android, just officially endorsed and with official documentation on how the original machine worked so that emulation could be more proper than the free alternatives (and with extra protection/encryption/features).

No one in their right mind would attempt to rewrite an entire game's code for Java for each and every single game they want to release. It would end up costing the company more than the original version of the game. The only time you see stuff like that happen is if they decide to do a full remake of a game. You'd have to be insane to do it any other way.

There's no "java tricks" that are going to magically allow you to recompile games to make them work on the Xperia Play. Anyone that knows anything about programming and has worked on console games before can tell you that. Also, Sony doesn't receive source code from 3rd parties. When you submit your game to your publisher, the publisher takes the source code and archives it. It only sends hardware manufacturers final mastered disk images.

An emulator is the ONLY way you do this with any financial sense unless your hardware is already backwards compatible with the hardware the original game ran on (it's not). You can't simply recompile console games like that. You pay a team $300,000 over a year to make the emulator once that you can use to play hundreds of different games you can sell at $5 a pop... or sure, you can spend double that amount *per game you want to sell* if you want to go the recompile/remake way.
    That version of ps3 (and the second tier ps3 releases in the US, metal gear solid 4 bundle) emulated the cpu in software, but still had a hardware gpu. I may have that backwards, but it only ever worked halfway emulated at best. There was always ps2 hardware present.