Xperia Play PS2 Games.

Search This thread

Logseman

Nov 22, 2010
Tenerife
logseman.svbtle.com
I'l admit i know nothing beforehand but in regards to this topic, i believe everyone is looking at this in at a straight forward view:

Emulation or Porting

But if you tilt your head a little you will see a third option, streaming. What if they are enabling the play station network to stream the game back the phone.
Streamed games will have to run somewhere. And if they're not native for PC, as is the case for Playstation games, that will take either an expensive PC port or a cheap and incompatible emulator. And then we're back in the start tile.

Last edited:

crono141

Jan 4, 2011
West Columbia, SC
I always thought that enabling remote play (with PS3) would be a cool option for the xperia play. They had it running on one of their previous phones, so no technical reason it couldn't happen on Xperia Play.

Sent from my R800x using XDA App

Fyresong

Oct 24, 2011
PS2 only had a 299MHz cpu and 32mb ram. The reason why emulators take up so much more resources than the console itself is synchronising the PC (or other devices) CPU to echo that of the console. On the original console all the hardware was optimized for the purpose of the games it would play; with a PC, it is not. With a great deal of effort and codebreaking, emulators can be made to run progressively smoother on older or lower-spec machines. When PS2 emu's first came out I struggled to emulate FF10 on my laptop, 3 or 4 years later it was running perfectly on the same laptop. Given that Sony own the original system architecture of the PS2, that cuts out one huge step of deciphering the system code. All they really need to work on is how to write an optimal emulation code for the Xperia Play, it's not that we don't have the hardware. So it's not impossible for PS2 games to run on the Play at some point. However, it is highly unlikely, as it will cost Sony a bomb and take so much time for a third party group to succeed. I think Sony will likely focus on developing compatible hardware in their next gen of Playstation certifieds.

darksidewarrior

Feb 15, 2012
Wrong massivley Wrong

Agreed xperia play will never play a ps2 game and if it does it will suffer from bad fps. But ps2 emulation may be available around the time that the psp2 comes out because thats when they will have the technology to do it. Xperia play is one of many playstation certified phones to come and probably the most inferior. Its a good handset to have especially for ps and old console emulators because of the gamepad.

Sent from my R800i using XDA Premium App

the android market / rockstar has now re-released gta3 which quote me if im wrong is a ps2 game and runs smooth on my xperia play with possible talks of re-releasing vice city aswell now they are quite big games and the phone can handle them fine so why not more ps2 games ?

GDSH

Jan 9, 2012
I think they most Lilkely to port PSP games and PS2 but not giving any sign so if thers a flaw or a bug.
Emulation would be obvious but the play would have to modes like the Wii and GameCube.
Because the Wii has more power than the GameCube Nintendo had ti create a new mode for the Wii.
Which Sony are most likely to do tablets probably won't get the update to play these games as such they don't have physical controls :/.
But the xperia play has so expect things to come in time.
LOCOROCO got ported so we could see in the near future Classic PSP and Ps2 games.

Sent from my ICS using XDA App

skaroger867

Jan 23, 2007
Kentucky
we have a tool to make our ps1 games into android apk files to install on our play using the crash one that comes on the play...would it be possiable to do something similiar with ps2 games and the gta3 game?

Rogue Leader

Apr 4, 2011
New York
the android market / rockstar has now re-released gta3 which quote me if im wrong is a ps2 game and runs smooth on my xperia play with possible talks of re-releasing vice city aswell now they are quite big games and the phone can handle them fine so why not more ps2 games ?

No, you are wrong, that game was PORTED not emulated. This phone will NEVER emulate PS2 or PSP. The entire game was recoded to work in Android. Any games we get from PS2 or PSP are ported, and recoded to work with the phone. Its completely different, and a whole ton of actual work to do.

we have a tool to make our ps1 games into android apk files to install on our play using the crash one that comes on the play...would it be possiable to do something similiar with ps2 games and the gta3 game?

No, not rehashing this, and other entire threads on this, in short this will NEVER happen.

Blessi360

Oct 7, 2011
It seems the Sony S2 is just a preview of what Xperia Play 2 would be like... Hopefully they keep the xp design and pack heaps of horse power

Sent from my R800i using xda premium

Growling Clover

Sep 2, 2011
GTA 3 made it to smart phones and that was a PS2 title so I'm holding my breath on this one. I know that was Rockstar's doing but maybe other games developers might follow suit.

Smart phone gaming is, in my opinion, where the money is at and developers might take a shot at it. I'm a hardcore gamer and I'd rather play PS2 games on my XPlay than invest in a Vita.

brought to you by the XDA app on my badass Android toy

Selim873

Apr 8, 2011
It's not like there will be games flying about out of nowhere, porting does take a LOT of work! Yet, if there's any hope for a game to be ported, Ty The Tasmanian Tiger would make a GREAT mobile title! :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In this thread: people who know nothing about programming, emulation, or hardware insisting that Sony can emulate PS2 (which is very difficult to emulate, by design) on hardware slower than quad core dual gpu gaming PCs that still struggle to emulate PS2.

Reality check, folks, it isn't going to happen. The problem with emulating PS2 isn't in it's speed, but in its synchronous architecture. That's why powerhouse PCs still have trouble. Synchronizing the 2 emulated chips in software at the speed the original hardware does it is nearly impossible. If sony can't get it working on PS3 without including PS2 hardware in the box, it isn't going to happen on an Android phone. I'm sorry, we'd all like it to, but it's technically impossible.

Highly unlikely.

As a general rule of thumb, you need a machine approximately 3 tims as powerful as the machine you are emulating.

My old 2.2ghz PC with duo Core and a 4670 ATI radeon is way more powerful than the xperia play, and it slowed to a grind with PS2 emulators.

As much as i would love to see it happen, i believe the N64 is as far as emulation will go on the Xperia Play.

aha your missing the point my friend, forget emulators as such for the moment, sony do not need to emulate there software like conventional emulators do, as they have access to the proprietary code, that other companies cannot use because of copywrite, so they are using some java tricks and there own knowledge regarding there hardware to make the playstation games run more as a native android app than an emulator.
    Guys, it's simply an emulator. The PS1 games are all playing under emulation - yes, just like the other free emulators on Android, just officially endorsed and with official documentation on how the original machine worked so that emulation could be more proper than the free alternatives (and with extra protection/encryption/features).

No one in their right mind would attempt to rewrite an entire game's code for Java for each and every single game they want to release. It would end up costing the company more than the original version of the game. The only time you see stuff like that happen is if they decide to do a full remake of a game. You'd have to be insane to do it any other way.

There's no "java tricks" that are going to magically allow you to recompile games to make them work on the Xperia Play. Anyone that knows anything about programming and has worked on console games before can tell you that. Also, Sony doesn't receive source code from 3rd parties. When you submit your game to your publisher, the publisher takes the source code and archives it. It only sends hardware manufacturers final mastered disk images.

An emulator is the ONLY way you do this with any financial sense unless your hardware is already backwards compatible with the hardware the original game ran on (it's not). You can't simply recompile console games like that. You pay a team $300,000 over a year to make the emulator once that you can use to play hundreds of different games you can sell at $5 a pop... or sure, you can spend double that amount *per game you want to sell* if you want to go the recompile/remake way.
    That version of ps3 (and the second tier ps3 releases in the US, metal gear solid 4 bundle) emulated the cpu in software, but still had a hardware gpu. I may have that backwards, but it only ever worked halfway emulated at best. There was always ps2 hardware present.