• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Xperia PLAY - The best gaming and multimedia device - With reasons

Search This thread

captain67

May 23, 2011
Aldergrove
One thing I love is the included headset. When listening to music on the phone, which I do a lot, they sound as good as my Skullcandy earbuds. The headset that came with my sister's galaxy s however, sounds like garbage lol

On top of that, I noticed that the stock music player can go for hours on end without killing the battery. I get just as much time on one charge with the play as I do with my iPod classic.

I guess it's to be expected from the company that revolutionized portable music with the Walkman.

People keep trying to say Apple revolutionized things with the iPod. It may be true that they improved mp3 players, but Sony revolutionized portable music period, long before them.

Sent from my R800

Last edited:
Reactions: Dousan

hasaan6545

Jan 5, 2011
Multan
One thing I love is the included headset. When listening to music on the phone, which I do a lot, they sound as good as my Skullcandy earbuds. The headset that came with my sister's galaxy s however, sounds like garbage lol

On top of that, I noticed that the stock music player can go for hours on end without killing the battery. I get just as much time on one charge with the play as I do with my iPod classic.

I guess it's to be expected from the company that revolutionized portable music with the Walkman.

People keep trying to say Apple revolutionized things with the iPod. It may be true that they improved mp3 players, but Sony revolutionized portable music period, long before them.

Sent from my R800

______

@lcw1980

I tested several 720p MKV Videos personally on all players and they work fine on Xperia PLAY. Dice Player was good but MX Player's SW Codec (fast mode) was better.

captain67

May 23, 2011
Aldergrove
I've been using daroon player lately for anime, since it's the only one that renders subtitles with full styling, and signs. It lags for 720p, but 480 looks good enough on a 4 inch screen anyway.

Sent from my R800

system02

Jun 11, 2010
I TOTALLY disagree with you on this, I think the display on the Play is great, nice and bright, not quite as "vibrant" as some of the latest HTC and Samsung screens though but still a very nice display.
Indoors its fantastic, the auto brightness is also VERY good! outdoors its one of the best devices I have had for viewing in the sun, the iphone 4 and galaxy s and desire s were terrible outside when it was sunny.

I had both phones: Arc and Play and the display of the Arc is MUCH MUCH better than the Play. The display of the Play is dark and I had to adjust the brightness slider to the right side. It's a shame that SonyEricsson used such a bad display compared to other phones. That's my personal experience with the Play.

LOL, My girlfriend has the 9700s and the sound volume and quality is nowhere near as good as on the Plays, with XLoud the Play is in another league.
The play has the best sound I have EVER heard from a mobile device, its more like a home system how loud and clear it is!

The ringtones on the BB 9700 are louder than on my last Xperia Play. The speakers of the Xperia Play clearly have more and deeper sound but only as loud as my BB 9700.

Does the xLoud-Feature affect ringtones, too or only music?

Actualy I'm deciding in giving the Xperia Play another try or buy an Arc S...

FK1983

May 4, 2011
South, UK
The display of the Play is dark and I had to adjust the brightness slider to the right side.
I think you have a faulty Play then as the screen is very bright and even more amazing once you disable auto brightness (there is now a way),
With auto brightness off the screen on the Play easily matches 95% of the screens out there, I actually had to turn it down a bit!

P.S, xloud affects anything that comes out of the speakers and/or earphones

hasaan6545

Jan 5, 2011
Multan
System02

Xperia Play is great, I think you should get it!
I don't regret choosing this over Xperia Arc. It has much more features!

I don't know if xLoud works on ringtones (Ring Volume) but it works on all media and games (Media Volume)

About screen quality, Xperia PLAY is great and less pixelated than Arc.

Hatcyl made an app for controlling brightness on Xperia Play. All reviewers say that the screen looks awesome when auto brightness is disabled.

I really want to buy the app but have problems with online credit on market :'(

hasaan6545

Jan 5, 2011
Multan
It's less pixilated because the screen is the same resolution at a smaller size.

Sent from my R800

Yup I know that the screen on Arc is 0.2 inches bigger.

But that's not the only reason.
There's a different build of the screen. Samsung Galaxy S1 has same screen size (4 inches) but it looks more pixelated. HTC desire has a smaller screen by 0.2 inches, but even that gives more impression of pixels than Xperia Play.

Pixels on Xperia PLAY have a softer outline, and on X10 they're still more softer.

captain67

May 23, 2011
Aldergrove
Yup I know that the screen on Arc is 0.2 inches bigger.

But that's not the only reason.
There's a different build of the screen. Samsung Galaxy S1 has same screen size (4 inches) but it looks more pixelated. HTC desire has a smaller screen by 0.2 inches, but even that gives more impression of pixels than Xperia Play.

Pixels on Xperia PLAY have a softer outline, and on X10 they're still more softer.

The galaxy s looks like that because that version of amoled display has rgbg instead of rbg. It distorts images.

Sent from my R800

Sep 14, 2011
Cologne
xLOUD also works on ringtones,i got the volume slider at 50% and its already damn loud,if you put it to 80% with xLOUD on,you`ll be having a heart attack if someone is calling you .-)

also,for that disable auto brightness app made by hatcyl,as i already said in the thread about the app:i strongly recommend every xperia play user to buy this app,you won`t believe your eyes when you turn the autobrightness off..it`s really a HUGE difference.

on topic:for me the xperia play is like a dream coming true,playing all those classic games i knew from my childhood on my phone..the first time i fired up some neo geo games on my play i really was smiling like i won the lottery .-) and playing wipeout 2097 on my phone everywhere,everytime that`s just awesome!

it lacks HDMI but really,i had the xperia neo before,i hooked it up to a tv 2 or 3times..nice feature but nothing essential,if i want to play games on a big screen i connect my laptop to my tv,so no need for that for me personally.

the camera,ok,that is a letdown compared to the xperia neo but i`m not the guy who takes photos often so for taking a pic on the go the play`s camera seems ok for me,i`ve taken some videos with the Neo before and trust me,it`s 720p but its laggy and if you do fast movements you will see stutter,also the jpg compression of the neo is beyond awful,many details are lost because of the radical compression.

surely it lacks some things,but hey its a phone with a freaking gamepad! :D

Last edited:

Cat_On_Droid

Aug 13, 2011
I think you have a faulty Play then as the screen is very bright and even more amazing once you disable auto brightness (there is now a way),
With auto brightness off the screen on the Play easily matches 95% of the screens out there, I actually had to turn it down a bit!

P.S, xloud affects anything that comes out of the speakers and/or earphones
test it in the sun please

I used the XDA App to post this, what did you use?

Cat_On_Droid

Aug 13, 2011
At max brightness the iphone 4 is as clear as a day in sun. Arc has a good screen

ps3taker

May 4, 2011
London
Could be the screen protector making it blurry. I put one which came with the phone from Three network and think it is not very clear. When the time comes to change it I will see if it is it.

speedyink

Sep 10, 2010
The screen is great in the sun, Whoever says otherwise should try some other smart phones out there. You'll be surprised by how they look. Like the iPhones has some extreme glare issues.

Sent from my R800i using XDA App

Cat_On_Droid

Aug 13, 2011
XP Brighter than SEXPLAY though. Which to me is pretty important in South Eastern Europe, harsh sun =/

That video does prove that iphone screen is much better than the androids one, may not be Clear as a day, but atleast recognizable

Last edited:

speedyink

Sep 10, 2010
That video does prove that iphone screen is much better than the androids one, may not be Clear as a day, but atleast recognizable

What it proves is how friggin difficult it is to see the iPhone 4's screen in direct sunlight. The only phones that excel at direct sun are front-lit phones, which no smart phone has.

Backlit glossy screens are terrible in the sun, period. The difference between them is marginal at best, I'm not sure how you can say the iPhone is much better...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I found that quite a number of people online were critical about Xperia PLAY, so I decided to write this to drive away the misconceptions!

There are several reasons why Xperia PLAY is the perfect gaming and multimedia smartphone, as given below:

1. Advantages of Snapdragon SoC (Scorpion Processor and Adreno GPU):

Xperia Play has a single-core 1GHz Snapdragon processor and an Adreno 205 GPU, however this doesn't put it behind the other SoC's out there (explained below)

Many people believe Adreno to be weaker than NVIDIA Tegra2 or PowerVR, but that isn't the case!

The truth is that the latter two seem good on paper and benchmarks, but their practical performance isn't up to the mark.

i. Adreno GPU is efficient and powerful:

Game developers find Adreno a better GPU when it comes to complex game effects. It handles them in a faster, better and power efficient way.

ii. Adreno is friendly to the battery:

Consider NVIDIA's Tegra2 GPU, which requires a heavy dependance on the CPU for it's optimal performance, and that reduces it's battery efficiency.

Follow the link in Techdread's thread to find a thorough comparison from Game developers' point of view.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1243036

iii. Snapdragon SoC has hidden tricks up it's sleeve

Adreno GPU and Scorpion CPU has some really cool optimizations up it's sleeve, which makes it better in most tasks than the other options.

e.g. Adreno has support for Hardware acceleration in Flash content. In a video test result, Snapdragon on Xperia Arc played a 720p Youtube video perfectly, whereas other major dual-core devices lagged!

See video below:
    http://phandroid.com/2011/06/15/qua...re-tegra-2-for-flash-content-supremecy-video/

Paul Jacobs, Qualcomm's boss says that Single core snapdragon with latest drivers outperform the current dual core processors.

"Looking at benchmarking tests for our single core product, it outperforms against dual core products from our competitors,’ said Jacbos.

He added: ‘The performance that you can get is literally much more than just counting the number of cores on a chip - it about how these cores work together seamlessly and efficiently. Compared to our competitors' [dual-core chips] they use 50 to 75 per cent more power to deliver the same perfomace compared to our single-core CPUs.’

iv. Snapdragon has DEVELOPER SUPPORT

Snapdragon is widely being supported by developers and alot of games for it are being made.

What hardware advantage does any SoC give the device if it has little developer support??

How many times have you seen these words on game threads: Make this for SGS2 please!!

v. Xperia series has the latest drivers for Snapdragon and Adreno, getting the most out of them.

(vi. BONUS : Custom kernel from DoomLord can boost the already-so-efficient CPU to 1.9 GHz B-) )

2. Dual-Channel RAM:

Xperia Play is the currently the only device that possesses a dual channel DDR2 memory working at 300 Hertz. This increases the performance as data can be passed much faster between components such as the CPU and the GPU, and enables it to perform heavy duty tasks optimally, and to keep a constant 60fps refresh rate in games.

3. PlayStation Controls:

Of course everyone knows what this is about :)
    The physical controls are of great advantage in gaming for obvious reasons.

The virtual analog controls got mixed reviews, however they are awesome in my opinion. I always find myself using them rather than the buttons.

Moreover, they can also be used for key mapping in emulators, giving a great plus value!

4. Havok Game Engine:

Don't miss out this beast!

Havok game engine has debuted on Android via Xperia Play. This helps developers make great games with accurate physics and realism!

About Havok:
    Havok™, an Intel® company , was founded in Dublin, Ireland in 1998, and is the premier provider of interactive software and services for digital media creators in the games and movie industries. Havok works in partnership with the world ’s best
    known game developers, including Microsoft®, Nintendo®, and Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Havok’ s cross- platform, professionally supported technology is available for the Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, PSP® (PlayStation ®Portable), Xperia™ PLAY, Wii™, PC Games for Windows.

Havok’s combination of superior technology and dedication to delivering for its customers has led to the company’ s technologies being used in over 300 of the world’ s best known game titles, including Halo Reach, Assassin’ s Creed Brotherhood, Epic Mickey, Fallout New Vegas, Uncharted 2 , Demon’s Soul and Bioshock 2 . A further 130 games are in development. Havok products have also been used to drive special effects in movies such as Clash of the Titans, Watchmen, Quantum of Solace, Harry Potter and The Order of The Phoenix, and The Matrix. Havok has offices in Dublin, San Francisco , Copenhagen, Calcutta, Munich, and Tokyo.

5. 3d Stereo speakers with xLoud

Gaming isn't fun without good sound effects. Many people entirely depend on their headsets for gaming and multimedia, due to the lack of good speakers in the phone.

Xperia Play's speakers, especially after the xLoud update, are AWESOME. You wouldn't need to depend on your headsets for gaming anymore, the speakers really take care of all!

They are also perfect for watching movies or listening to songs.

6. Xperia PLAY exclusives and game library

Sony Ericsson has made deals with a great number of game companies, including Gameloft, EA, Glu and Polarbit. A great number of games are out in no time at all, and more are on their way.

Often, Xperia Play gets the game a month or two earlier than the other Android models.

Xperia Play also has PlayStation titles coming to it, and Sony Ericsson recently announced more AAA titles to be on their way.

Xperia Play's massive game library is much larger than Tegra's.

7. Sony Ericsson's multimedia and entertainment experience:

Sony Ericsson provides a unique, unparalleled experience in multimedia and entertainment fields. It has got a great deal of experience from Cybershot and Walkman products, and has always been ahead of the other brands in these categories.

Xperia PLAY, with it's awesome sound quality and a decent camera reflects these results. The camera, though not SE's best, is still decent overall and faster than the other Android models.

I have the experience of developing top camdrivers for SE's cybershot series, and find that Xperia Play's camera is pretty decent.

Other SE goodies like TimeScape, Facebook inside Xperia etc. are also great if you use them.

____

This is enough to prove that Xperia PLAY really is what it's supposed to be - the perfect gaming and multimedia smartphone!
    I will try answer what i can. I pressed thanks instead of quote also :p lol.

1. Well the only none gsm xplay is the r800x (verizon, usa). I have the r800i which is probably the best gsm one to get (since you can buy it sim free) depends on where you live.

2. Do you have any games in particular? Everything i have tried so far works great except some games with fpse but thats probably the same for any other phone.

3. Dont have my bootloader unlocked. So someone will have to comment

4. CM7 is only the really custom rom atm. There are a few custom firmwares around like FTS v05+ % with Doomlords kernel

5. I think most people are using doomlords kernel? Cm7 has its own kernel if you plan on using it.

6. They are never really 100% true are they? All you have to go on is with what people have posted in DooMLoRDs thread

7. Only on photos and videos

8. My friends have a SGS2 & Optimus 2x and anything there phones can do so can mine and the arc is basically the same as the xplay. The game controls take this phone to a whole different level. So its pointless to even think of comparing gaming lol.

9. Its ok probably the same as any other 5MP camera. I didnt buy this phone for the camera i have a digi one :)

10. None that i have come across personally. People have complained about the light sensor but i think it works great.

11. EPIC. I would not even think of trying to play games via touchscreen now lol. Just depends on the game tho. I have been hammering mine and everything is still working great.

12. Is doesnt need to be cracked. As long as you get a none carrier locked phone (r800i sim free) you can officially unlock it on the SE website. http://unlockbootloader.sonyericsson.com/ even if it is carrier locked you can now get it unlocked by Alejandrissimo

13. IMO i would say it will be ok. Nothing is really being launched solely for use on dual core phones yet and i cannot see it happening anytime soon. As i have said before everything i have tried works as it should. SE is also supporting the device.
    Can someone make more opinions about these? I want to buy this phone and i want more info about this awesome device before I buy it
    Well, here it is, but its mostly sarcastic.
    1. Well.. I see there are different types of xperia play phones. R800i, R800a, Z1i and If like to know what the best one is. I need GGSM, not CDMA. - The international R800i support HSDPA 900 / 2100 bands only. The AT&T R800at is quad bands, supports HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100 / 800, useful if sim unlocked. The R800x from Verizon is CDMA.
    2. Do all the most demanding HD games work flawlessly on this phone? - No, neither does it on any phones I've used including the Galaxy S3.
    3. How stable is the phone overclocked to 1900 MHz like I saw in DoomLords thread? - What?
    4. Best ROM? - Do your own research.
    5. Custom kernel? - With an unlocked bootloader, same with any other Android phones. You will need to flash a custom kernel in order for (most) custom roms to work.
    6. Best Benchmarks? - I don't care. I hate benchmarks.
    7. Does the BRAVIA engine work? - There is a patch to enable it.
    8. How is the performance of the phone in general? If possible, compared with the other top smartphones out there (SGS2, optimus 2x, arc, atrix) - Average, other multicore devices are much faster. It lags sometimes when it run out of ram and I have to clear them. Webpages do lags. Most apps run smoothly though, you just need to optimize the device.
    9. How is the camera? - average details, acceptable for a 5MP, very good with nighttime shot
    10. Are there any problems with the phone? - Maybe. The screen is susceptible to getting dirt underneath.
    11. Based on personal experience - how are the PS controls? - Magical.
    12. Is bootloader officially cracked? - You can unlock the bootloaders of the R800i and R800x from Sony website.
    13. Will the specs of this phone be outdated soon or will it keep up with the future releases? - It is outdated on the day of release, about the sametime as the Galaxy SII release which is much faster.
    14. Edit- almost forgot.. how is the sound quality? I read about 2 speakers resulting in awesome sound, is it actually all that great? - Excellent, highlight point of the phone.

Also it is a fact this device is not great under sunlight. AMOLED and newer LCD are much easier to see under sunlight.
    - Best gaming device.

Yes. The controls make the difference.

- Best ultimedia device.

Lol no. Where's the video output (remember that near ALL Xperias have HDMI output)? Where's the HD video recording? Where's the native support for more advanced video formats like MKV? Etc.

The play has native support for quicktime formats....

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3775
    1. Well.. I see there are different types of xperia play phones. R800i, R800a, Z1i and If like to know what the best one is. I need GGSM, not CDMA.

2. Do all the most demanding HD games work flawlessly on this phone?
    3. How stable is the phone overclocked to 1900 MHz like I saw in DoomLords thread?
    4. Best ROM?
    5. Custom kernel?
    6. Best Benchmarks?
    7. Does the BRAVIA engine work?
    8. How is the performance of the phone in general? If possible, compared with the other top smartphones out there (SGS2, optimus 2x, arc, atrix)
    9. How is the camera? (personal opinions - night time shots, video recording, everything else)
    10. Are there any problems with the phone?
    11. Based on personal experience - how are the PS controls?
    12. Is bootloader officially cracked?
    13. Will the specs of this phone be outdated soon or will it keep up with the future releases?
    14. Edit- almost forgot.. how is the sound quality? I read about 2 speakers resulting in awesome sound, is it actually all that great?

I have plenty more questions :D :D Just dont want to spam too much.