• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Xperia PLAY - The best gaming and multimedia device - With reasons

Search This thread

FK1983

May 4, 2011
South, UK
What it proves is how friggin difficult it is to see the iPhone 4's screen in direct sunlight. The only phones that excel at direct sun are front-lit phones, which no smart phone has.

Backlit glossy screens are terrible in the sun, period. The difference between them is marginal at best, I'm not sure how you can say the iPhone is much better...
^ Agreed, This :)

mhyke13ph

Dec 17, 2010
Baguio City
2. Dual-Channel RAM:

Xperia Play is the currently the only device that possesses a dual channel DDR2 memory working at 300 Hertz. This increases the performance as data can be passed much faster between components such as the CPU and the GPU, and enables it to perform heavy duty tasks optimally, and to keep a constant 60fps refresh rate in games.

But according to Wikipedia Qualcomm

That All S2 MSM8255 have a Dual Channel 333mhz LPDDR2

so not just Xplay right?

antEris

Apr 27, 2010
I cant help but wonder....why...why of all the different android phones out there, why must each one be individually compared to the iPhone. The iPhone is a fine smartphone, but no more or less. Isnt the point of android phones to offer more choices on what you spend you're money on when purchasing a phone? For example, oh I dont know maybe instead of a small form factor and a more expensive screen you might want a dedicated game pad? I guess my point is; comparing the play to an iPone is quite an apples to oranges type discussion. Wouldn't you say?

Sent from my R800x using xda premium

hasaan6545

Jan 5, 2011
Multan
But according to Wikipedia Qualcomm

That All S2 MSM8255 have a Dual Channel 333mhz LPDDR2

so not just Xplay right?

Nope, the Xperia Play is the only device having this RAM, it's unique of it's kind.
Dual channel is supported by these chipsets but other devices don't use it.

I cant help but wonder....why...why of all the different android phones out there, why must each one be individually compared to the iPhone. The iPhone is a fine smartphone, but no more or less. Isnt the point of android phones to offer more choices on what you spend you're money on when purchasing a phone? For example, oh I dont know maybe instead of a small form factor and a more expensive screen you might want a dedicated game pad? I guess my point is; comparing the play to an iPone is quite an apples to oranges type discussion. Wouldn't you say?

Sent from my R800x using xda premium

You have a point - but many iPhone users always compare their devices to Android ones. It's just natural - people compare all the top players in the smartphone world with each other.

Last edited:

mhyke13ph

Dec 17, 2010
Baguio City
Nope, the Xperia Play is the only device having this RAM, it's unique of it's kind.
Dual channel is supported by these chipsets but other devices don't use it.

Why is it only Xperia Play? I can't help to wonder why other phones can't use this RAM in that chipset, It's there and ready...

speedyink

Sep 10, 2010
Why is it only Xperia Play? I can't help to wonder why other phones can't use this RAM in that chipset, It's there and ready...

My guess is size and price. Needing two physical ram chips needs extra space, and it's obviously gonna cost more money. For example, the Blackberry bold has support for Dual channel, but it wouldn't even be noticeable so they can save some money and make a slightly higher profit by excluding it.

hasaan6545

Jan 5, 2011
Multan

It's not "there and ready" actually.

RAM is not a component of Snapdragon SoC. It includes processor and GPU only.

All SoCs are used with different RAM sizes and quality according to the choice of the manufacturer. Some use 1 GB, some use 512MB etc (different sizes), however most use single channel ( lower quality than dual channel in terms of speed)

The wikipedia article does not say that all the MSM8655 chipsets are using dual channel, it just gives an overview of the maximum quality a SoC can support. All MSM8655 could use dual channel RAM if it is incorporated in them, but that quality of RAM is incorporated only in Xperia Play.

That helps keep a constantly high fps in games.

FK1983

May 4, 2011
South, UK

All SoCs are used with different RAM sizes and quality according to the choice of the manufacturer. Some use 1 GB, some use 512MB etc (different sizes), however most use single channel ( lower quality than dual channel in terms of speed)

The wikipedia article does not say that all the MSM8655 chipsets are using dual channel, it just gives an overview of the maximum quality a SoC can support. All MSM8655 could use dual channel RAM if it is incorporated in them, but that quality of RAM is incorporated only in Xperia Play.

The Galaxy 2 has it (and clocked at the same speed) so isn't just the Play that uses dual channel ram :p

Last edited:

mhyke13ph

Dec 17, 2010
Baguio City

I see, thanks again for the Info.

Most People don't agree on Xplay just using a Single Core for a Hardcore Mobile Gaming, that Dual-Core will always be better than any Single Core

but what if SE advertise that Xplay uses Dual Channel RAM that will really help Heavy Task, Multitasking, and Play Heavy Games @ 60FPS, they could convince lots of People who are into Games to get Xperia Play because at that time it is the only Smart Phone uses this technology

Too bad...

hasaan6545

Jan 5, 2011
Multan
We now have another reason to keep loving our Xperia Play - SE has updated Xperia Play with HD Video recording & continuous autofocus support in the 2.3.4 update :)

system02

Jun 11, 2010
Sony Ericsson needs to improve a few things on the play:

- put in a much better screen (like on the Arc)
- remove the 4th front button (search) and replace it with 3 bigger keys (like on Neo, Arc, X10 with Leds between the keys for easier navigation)
- put the notification LED back on the FRONT where it belongs.

captain67

May 23, 2011
Aldergrove

- remove the 4th front button (search) and replace it with 3 bigger keys (like on Neo, Arc, X10 with Leds between the keys for easier navigation)

The play screen is better than the arc. The only smartphone screen where I can't see the pixels.

I agree with you that three buttons would be nicer.

Notification light is hard to notice at times.

Sent from my R800

system02

Jun 11, 2010
The play screen is better than the arc. The only smartphone screen where I can't see the pixels.

I agree with you that three buttons would be nicer.

Notification light is hard to notice at times.

Sent from my R800

Compared to the Arc the Play screen is too dark and outside in the sun the Play display is worse than the Arc.

I had both phones to compare and it was not a faulty unit as I had 2 xperia Play phones and 2 Arc.

captain67

May 23, 2011
Aldergrove
Compared to the Arc the Play screen is too dark and outside in the sun the Play display is worse than the Arc.

I had both phones to compare and it was not a faulty unit as I had 2 xperia Play phones and 2 Arc.

eh, I'd rather have smoother pixels indoors instead of easy visibility in sunlight. I haven't found it hard to see outdoors at all.

Sent from the best phone ever

AndroHero

May 28, 2010
Manchester

I wish people would stop chatting bubbles. All LCD screens are crap in the sun end of story. The play screen is no worse in the sun than the amoled sceen i had in my Desire.
Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk

hasaan6545

Jan 5, 2011
Multan
One area where dual core isn't better is with emulation since emulators only utilize one core.

But yeah for most other things dual core is better.

Dual-core is good if it is asynchronous and both cores work independently. Otherwise single core with great drivers and optimizations is also great. If dual-core is not asynchronous, it's use is limited except for the apps made to use the cpu that way.

So yes, Dual-core is good BUT if it's not asynchronous (i.e. Tegra2 or SGS2) then increasing the cores wouldn't help much except in very limited fields.

Most high end NVIDIA games work okay and without lag with Chainfire on Xperia PLAY, so it does show that the games can be handled well with a single core snapdragon.

Besides with the link at unity3d game developers, Xperia Play was proved to be faster than Tegra in real life performance.

Asynchronous dual-cores by Qualcomm are better in real life performance good.

Xperia Play has a great screen. As captain67 pointed out, it's not pixelated.

You should see the play now after 2.3.4 update. Xperia Play has an AWESOME brightness level and is CLEARLY visible outdoors even at half brightness! :)

system02

Jun 11, 2010
I wish people would stop chatting bubbles. All LCD screens are crap in the sun end of story. The play screen is no worse in the sun than the amoled sceen i had in my Desire.
Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk
t

AMOLED are the worst in the sun. Reflective or transflective LCD screens are readable in the sun (like Apple iPhone, Xperia X10, Arc, Palm PRE, HP Pre 3, Xperia Play...)

You can read the screens in the sun but with different qualities.

I just said that my 2 Xperia Play phones where worse outside than my 2 Arc phones. So don't tell me anything about chatting bubbles!

The best Screen for outdoor use was used in the old Blackberry 7230 and 7290. It looked like printed on paper - but was unusable for pictures etc.

@ hasaan6545:
Did SE increase the max. brigthness of the phone with the new update?

captain67

May 23, 2011
Aldergrove
It's funny you mentioned those blackberry models, I happen to have one from that era sitting around. Still works, and as you said the visibility was really good.

Sent from the best phone ever

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I found that quite a number of people online were critical about Xperia PLAY, so I decided to write this to drive away the misconceptions!

There are several reasons why Xperia PLAY is the perfect gaming and multimedia smartphone, as given below:

1. Advantages of Snapdragon SoC (Scorpion Processor and Adreno GPU):

Xperia Play has a single-core 1GHz Snapdragon processor and an Adreno 205 GPU, however this doesn't put it behind the other SoC's out there (explained below)

Many people believe Adreno to be weaker than NVIDIA Tegra2 or PowerVR, but that isn't the case!

The truth is that the latter two seem good on paper and benchmarks, but their practical performance isn't up to the mark.

i. Adreno GPU is efficient and powerful:

Game developers find Adreno a better GPU when it comes to complex game effects. It handles them in a faster, better and power efficient way.

ii. Adreno is friendly to the battery:

Consider NVIDIA's Tegra2 GPU, which requires a heavy dependance on the CPU for it's optimal performance, and that reduces it's battery efficiency.

Follow the link in Techdread's thread to find a thorough comparison from Game developers' point of view.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1243036

iii. Snapdragon SoC has hidden tricks up it's sleeve

Adreno GPU and Scorpion CPU has some really cool optimizations up it's sleeve, which makes it better in most tasks than the other options.

e.g. Adreno has support for Hardware acceleration in Flash content. In a video test result, Snapdragon on Xperia Arc played a 720p Youtube video perfectly, whereas other major dual-core devices lagged!

See video below:
    http://phandroid.com/2011/06/15/qua...re-tegra-2-for-flash-content-supremecy-video/

Paul Jacobs, Qualcomm's boss says that Single core snapdragon with latest drivers outperform the current dual core processors.

"Looking at benchmarking tests for our single core product, it outperforms against dual core products from our competitors,’ said Jacbos.

He added: ‘The performance that you can get is literally much more than just counting the number of cores on a chip - it about how these cores work together seamlessly and efficiently. Compared to our competitors' [dual-core chips] they use 50 to 75 per cent more power to deliver the same perfomace compared to our single-core CPUs.’

iv. Snapdragon has DEVELOPER SUPPORT

Snapdragon is widely being supported by developers and alot of games for it are being made.

What hardware advantage does any SoC give the device if it has little developer support??

How many times have you seen these words on game threads: Make this for SGS2 please!!

v. Xperia series has the latest drivers for Snapdragon and Adreno, getting the most out of them.

(vi. BONUS : Custom kernel from DoomLord can boost the already-so-efficient CPU to 1.9 GHz B-) )

2. Dual-Channel RAM:

Xperia Play is the currently the only device that possesses a dual channel DDR2 memory working at 300 Hertz. This increases the performance as data can be passed much faster between components such as the CPU and the GPU, and enables it to perform heavy duty tasks optimally, and to keep a constant 60fps refresh rate in games.

3. PlayStation Controls:

Of course everyone knows what this is about :)
    The physical controls are of great advantage in gaming for obvious reasons.

The virtual analog controls got mixed reviews, however they are awesome in my opinion. I always find myself using them rather than the buttons.

Moreover, they can also be used for key mapping in emulators, giving a great plus value!

4. Havok Game Engine:

Don't miss out this beast!

Havok game engine has debuted on Android via Xperia Play. This helps developers make great games with accurate physics and realism!

About Havok:
    Havok™, an Intel® company , was founded in Dublin, Ireland in 1998, and is the premier provider of interactive software and services for digital media creators in the games and movie industries. Havok works in partnership with the world ’s best
    known game developers, including Microsoft®, Nintendo®, and Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Havok’ s cross- platform, professionally supported technology is available for the Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, PSP® (PlayStation ®Portable), Xperia™ PLAY, Wii™, PC Games for Windows.

Havok’s combination of superior technology and dedication to delivering for its customers has led to the company’ s technologies being used in over 300 of the world’ s best known game titles, including Halo Reach, Assassin’ s Creed Brotherhood, Epic Mickey, Fallout New Vegas, Uncharted 2 , Demon’s Soul and Bioshock 2 . A further 130 games are in development. Havok products have also been used to drive special effects in movies such as Clash of the Titans, Watchmen, Quantum of Solace, Harry Potter and The Order of The Phoenix, and The Matrix. Havok has offices in Dublin, San Francisco , Copenhagen, Calcutta, Munich, and Tokyo.

5. 3d Stereo speakers with xLoud

Gaming isn't fun without good sound effects. Many people entirely depend on their headsets for gaming and multimedia, due to the lack of good speakers in the phone.

Xperia Play's speakers, especially after the xLoud update, are AWESOME. You wouldn't need to depend on your headsets for gaming anymore, the speakers really take care of all!

They are also perfect for watching movies or listening to songs.

6. Xperia PLAY exclusives and game library

Sony Ericsson has made deals with a great number of game companies, including Gameloft, EA, Glu and Polarbit. A great number of games are out in no time at all, and more are on their way.

Often, Xperia Play gets the game a month or two earlier than the other Android models.

Xperia Play also has PlayStation titles coming to it, and Sony Ericsson recently announced more AAA titles to be on their way.

Xperia Play's massive game library is much larger than Tegra's.

7. Sony Ericsson's multimedia and entertainment experience:

Sony Ericsson provides a unique, unparalleled experience in multimedia and entertainment fields. It has got a great deal of experience from Cybershot and Walkman products, and has always been ahead of the other brands in these categories.

Xperia PLAY, with it's awesome sound quality and a decent camera reflects these results. The camera, though not SE's best, is still decent overall and faster than the other Android models.

I have the experience of developing top camdrivers for SE's cybershot series, and find that Xperia Play's camera is pretty decent.

Other SE goodies like TimeScape, Facebook inside Xperia etc. are also great if you use them.

____

This is enough to prove that Xperia PLAY really is what it's supposed to be - the perfect gaming and multimedia smartphone!
    I will try answer what i can. I pressed thanks instead of quote also :p lol.

1. Well the only none gsm xplay is the r800x (verizon, usa). I have the r800i which is probably the best gsm one to get (since you can buy it sim free) depends on where you live.

2. Do you have any games in particular? Everything i have tried so far works great except some games with fpse but thats probably the same for any other phone.

3. Dont have my bootloader unlocked. So someone will have to comment

4. CM7 is only the really custom rom atm. There are a few custom firmwares around like FTS v05+ % with Doomlords kernel

5. I think most people are using doomlords kernel? Cm7 has its own kernel if you plan on using it.

6. They are never really 100% true are they? All you have to go on is with what people have posted in DooMLoRDs thread

7. Only on photos and videos

8. My friends have a SGS2 & Optimus 2x and anything there phones can do so can mine and the arc is basically the same as the xplay. The game controls take this phone to a whole different level. So its pointless to even think of comparing gaming lol.

9. Its ok probably the same as any other 5MP camera. I didnt buy this phone for the camera i have a digi one :)

10. None that i have come across personally. People have complained about the light sensor but i think it works great.

11. EPIC. I would not even think of trying to play games via touchscreen now lol. Just depends on the game tho. I have been hammering mine and everything is still working great.

12. Is doesnt need to be cracked. As long as you get a none carrier locked phone (r800i sim free) you can officially unlock it on the SE website. http://unlockbootloader.sonyericsson.com/ even if it is carrier locked you can now get it unlocked by Alejandrissimo

13. IMO i would say it will be ok. Nothing is really being launched solely for use on dual core phones yet and i cannot see it happening anytime soon. As i have said before everything i have tried works as it should. SE is also supporting the device.
    Can someone make more opinions about these? I want to buy this phone and i want more info about this awesome device before I buy it
    Well, here it is, but its mostly sarcastic.
    1. Well.. I see there are different types of xperia play phones. R800i, R800a, Z1i and If like to know what the best one is. I need GGSM, not CDMA. - The international R800i support HSDPA 900 / 2100 bands only. The AT&T R800at is quad bands, supports HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100 / 800, useful if sim unlocked. The R800x from Verizon is CDMA.
    2. Do all the most demanding HD games work flawlessly on this phone? - No, neither does it on any phones I've used including the Galaxy S3.
    3. How stable is the phone overclocked to 1900 MHz like I saw in DoomLords thread? - What?
    4. Best ROM? - Do your own research.
    5. Custom kernel? - With an unlocked bootloader, same with any other Android phones. You will need to flash a custom kernel in order for (most) custom roms to work.
    6. Best Benchmarks? - I don't care. I hate benchmarks.
    7. Does the BRAVIA engine work? - There is a patch to enable it.
    8. How is the performance of the phone in general? If possible, compared with the other top smartphones out there (SGS2, optimus 2x, arc, atrix) - Average, other multicore devices are much faster. It lags sometimes when it run out of ram and I have to clear them. Webpages do lags. Most apps run smoothly though, you just need to optimize the device.
    9. How is the camera? - average details, acceptable for a 5MP, very good with nighttime shot
    10. Are there any problems with the phone? - Maybe. The screen is susceptible to getting dirt underneath.
    11. Based on personal experience - how are the PS controls? - Magical.
    12. Is bootloader officially cracked? - You can unlock the bootloaders of the R800i and R800x from Sony website.
    13. Will the specs of this phone be outdated soon or will it keep up with the future releases? - It is outdated on the day of release, about the sametime as the Galaxy SII release which is much faster.
    14. Edit- almost forgot.. how is the sound quality? I read about 2 speakers resulting in awesome sound, is it actually all that great? - Excellent, highlight point of the phone.

Also it is a fact this device is not great under sunlight. AMOLED and newer LCD are much easier to see under sunlight.
    - Best gaming device.

Yes. The controls make the difference.

- Best ultimedia device.

Lol no. Where's the video output (remember that near ALL Xperias have HDMI output)? Where's the HD video recording? Where's the native support for more advanced video formats like MKV? Etc.

The play has native support for quicktime formats....

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3775
    1. Well.. I see there are different types of xperia play phones. R800i, R800a, Z1i and If like to know what the best one is. I need GGSM, not CDMA.

2. Do all the most demanding HD games work flawlessly on this phone?
    3. How stable is the phone overclocked to 1900 MHz like I saw in DoomLords thread?
    4. Best ROM?
    5. Custom kernel?
    6. Best Benchmarks?
    7. Does the BRAVIA engine work?
    8. How is the performance of the phone in general? If possible, compared with the other top smartphones out there (SGS2, optimus 2x, arc, atrix)
    9. How is the camera? (personal opinions - night time shots, video recording, everything else)
    10. Are there any problems with the phone?
    11. Based on personal experience - how are the PS controls?
    12. Is bootloader officially cracked?
    13. Will the specs of this phone be outdated soon or will it keep up with the future releases?
    14. Edit- almost forgot.. how is the sound quality? I read about 2 speakers resulting in awesome sound, is it actually all that great?

I have plenty more questions :D :D Just dont want to spam too much.