• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Xperia Z "sudden death". Anyone else with this problem?

Search This thread

krabappel2548

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 15, 2011
Lommel
Hey guys,

Unfortunately I have encountered a sudden death with my Xperia Z yesterday. I had:
- Unlocked bootloader
- Stock kernel
- Stock based rom
- Recovery for locked bootloader, because I was still testing it.

I wanted to try the whitebalance.apk from Xperia ZL rom to seeif it worked or to debug if it didn't.

Anone else had a sudden death or a similar problem like softbrick? Let me know and post as many details as possible.

I've tried everything so don't say:
- Try a hard reset
- Try fastboot
- Try Flashmode
- Try charging it for hours

EDIT: More details:
- C6603

- No LED
- Vo vibration
- Nothing after hours of charging.

Only thing I haven't tried is connecting in a dock, because I don't have one. Black97 told me he solved the issue by connecting to the dock.

Last edited:

gm007

May 29, 2011
OnePlus 8T
Do you still have any led notifications(red,blue,green)?
Did you manage to use the white balance settings?could be the value set burns the screen??

Sent from my C6602 using xda premium

krabappel2548

Nov 15, 2011
Lommel
Do you still have any led notifications(red,blue,green)?
Did you manage to use the white balance settings?could be the value set burns the screen??

Nope, no LED, no vibration, phone is off and won't turn on. I haven't been able to use the whitebalance app.

Sent from my MT15i using xda app-developers app

abd_alazeez2002

Sep 8, 2010
I got similar problem, I let my XZ battery to completely run out of power.
When I connected it to the charger, it didn't charge and not led also.
I just let our in the charger for hours, then it started again normally.
This what happen top me, I don't know if it will help you

Sent from my C6602 using xda app-developers app

gm007

May 29, 2011
OnePlus 8T
Nothing to loose but try to connect the phone to usb port and leave it.
I remember from long time ago someone had the same issue and he manage to fix it this way.

petetoto

Jan 6, 2013
Pernik
Nope, no LED, no vibration, phone is off and won't turn on. I haven't been able to use the whitebalance app.

Sent from my MT15i using xda app-developers app

I relocked phone with Flashtool and it didn't start then
But there was vibration on power button, only blinking red led and black screen
Tryed EMMA - "locked device"
Then SUS - successfully updated
Now working

Aerys

Jun 18, 2012
I relocked phone with Flashtool and it didn't start then
But there was vibration on power button, only blinking red led and black screen
Tryed EMMA - "locked device"
Then SUS - successfully updated
Now working

I relocked bootloader with Flashtool, then flashed stock UK tft using Flashtool and my Xperia is now locked stock!:laugh:

X

x102x96x

Hey guys,

Unfortunately I have encountered a sudden death with my Xperia Z yesterday. I had:
- Unlocked bootloader
- Stock kernel
- Stock based rom
- Recovery for locked bootloader, because I was still testing it.

I wanted to try the whitebalance.apk from Xperia ZL rom to seeif it worked or to debug if it didn't.

Anone else had a sudden death or a similar problem like softbrick? Let me know and post as many details as possible.

I've tried everything so don't say:
- Try a hard reset
- Try fastboot
- Try Flashmode
- Try charging it for hours

Only thing I haven't tried is connecting in a dock, because I don't have one. Black97 told me he solved the issue by connecting to the dock.

would u pls tell ur xZ is; C6603 Or C6602?
and kernel

Strike_Riku

Dec 26, 2012
Off topic I know, but I bricked by Xperia U by removing the battery through a freeze. It wouldn't boot or charge. But I left in on charge for an hour, and it booted. As well as that, it had downgraded from V4 of a ROM I was running to V3.

On a brick that makes no sense, fix it in a way that makes no sense.

Sent from my To-Be Bricked U

Have you got a old Xperia sitting around? Bring them to us!

krabappel2548

Nov 15, 2011
Lommel
I got similar problem, I let my XZ battery to completely run out of power.
When I connected it to the charger, it didn't charge and not led also.
I just let our in the charger for hours, then it started again normally.
This what happen top me, I don't know if it will help you

Nothing to loose but try to connect the phone to usb port and leave it.
I remember from long time ago someone had the same issue and he manage to fix it this way.

would u pls tell ur xZ is; C6603 Or C6602?
and kernel

I added more details, I've really tried everything, I recovered several Xperia phones from soft brick, so I don't think any of these will help, but I'll connect it to usb and charger again during the weekend. I need to sent it back to the online store on monday.

- Stock kernel
- Stock based rom, slightly modified stock rom
- Unlocked Bootloader
- C6603

- No LED
- Vo vibration

petetoto

Jan 6, 2013
Pernik
I added more details, I've really tried everything, I recovered several Xperia phones from soft brick, so I don't think any of these will help, but I'll connect it to usb and charger again during the weekend. I need to sent it back to the online store on monday.

- Stock kernel
- Stock based rom, slightly modified stock rom
- Unlocked Bootloader
- C6603

- No LED
- Vo vibration

What about Fastboot mod or Flash mod?

jader13254

May 25, 2012
Hamburg
Any Feedback when connecting to PC?
Any Device recognized? I actually think you messed up your CPU/Mainbord somehow... ...or is it a memory/flash problem?
Hope you can solve it

abd_alazeez2002

Sep 8, 2010
Try recalling what you did before the sudden death, like installing the apk or modifying the framework.

surdu_petru

Recognized Contributor
Feb 3, 2010
Paris
Hello krabappel2548 !

- to understand that not really worth to unlock bootloader !
- XZ is so sensitive that he breaks so fast ?

I know you as a consummate professional ( I do not think it is because of you, rather I go on a platform quite sensitive to the Sony ...)

I bought it a few days ago and I'm going to do some custom rom and kernel for it - but now I remains to think about that ....

Good luck & hope that you resolve the situation :good:

( sure, I need to unlock bootloader first : :D )

Last edited:
Reactions: petetoto

varshil

Sep 4, 2010
mumbai
Hey please remove your back cover and disconnect your battery ( batter connector would be there) for 1 min and dn screw it again. Try to switch it by pressing the power button fr 30 secs or power and lower button together fr 10 secs! The phone ll switch on!

Sent from my C6603 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: abuayyoub

Ambroos

Aug 11, 2010
Dublin / Belgium
Hey please remove your back cover and disconnect your battery ( batter connector would be there) for 1 min and dn screw it again. Try to switch it by pressing the power button fr 30 secs or power and lower button together fr 10 secs! The phone ll switch on!

Battery cover on the Z is unremovable.

My guess is he just had an unlucky device. I've read about one dead Xperia Z before on another forum so it's entirely possible. Doubt it's related to anything else.

OsiBasi

Nov 26, 2012
Did you experience any extraordinary heat from the phone before it crashed?
Maybe try smelling for burns or something.

varshil

Sep 4, 2010
mumbai
U can remove the back cover by using tork screwdriver

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'll get a new XZ :) I'll receive it tomorrow :)
    Hello krabappel2548 !

I know you as a consummate professional ( I do not think it is because of you, rather I go on a platform quite sensitive to the Sony ...)

I bought it a few days ago and I'm going to do some custom rom and kernel for it - but now I remains to think about that ....

Any Feedback when connecting to PC?
    Any Device recognized? I actually think you messed up your CPU/Mainbord somehow... ...or is it a memory/flash problem?
    Hope you can solve it

Well messing up mainboard or cpu with stock kernel and roms seems kinda weird to me :p

Hello krabappel2548 !

Hey mate (from TF300T :p)

Well, actually Sony devices are hard to brick, at least 2011 and 2012 line as far as I know I've never recovered a phone that wasn't just soft bricked. But I've just received a pm from bin4ry with something I could try :)

I'm not going to open it, I can get a replacement from the store, so opening it will definitely void my warranty!

Recover your phone with SUS, i recovered my x10mini several times.

Sent from my X10Mini using xda app-developers app

Yes, just received a pm from bin4ry to enter a recovery mode I didn't knew about :p
    same here...
    My Xperia Z also died 2days ago...Battery was low(4%) and i conitinued to play my game(plauge inc) and then phone went off(like any other android smartphone) and then i plugged it my phone...after 30min i came to turn it on...but nothing happened...volume up/down + power everything tried...nothing helps
    no LED no vibration...just nothing
    i also let it 24h on charge...then put it off...wait 20sec...and then plug it in...but that also not helped. :crying:..(was recommened from Sony)
    dockingstation don't help
    Sony posted here(http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/120222?start=20&tstart=0) the following statement:
    "I'm posting just to say that the problem has been identified and a fix for this will be implemented in next software update for the phone. Unfortunately I don't have any exact release date for when the new software will be released but I will get back to you as soon as I know.

Thank you guys for contributing with your details and info, this always helps to identify any issues."

will go to service tomorrow...if i get some infos from them i will share them...bye

EDIT : i chated with SonyMobile...they said its a software issue...
    (Volume Up + Power Button, Repair with Sony PC Companion) <------they said it should help..but nothing worked
    soon will go to service...will share if i get new info

NEW EDIT: So i was at the service...they replaced my phone(only the phone)...they didn't change the accesories...and the new one is from the 2013 W 10 the old one was 13W07...so lets hope this doesn't have such a problem