• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Xperia Z1 is TN screen

Search This thread

finoqq84

Oct 4, 2011
Not worth spending another 600 bucks on it. Imo atleast.

Gesendet von meinem C6603 mit Tapatalk 4

You feel that its a minor update because you did not own a z1 yet. I was using the Z previously and had the same thinking as you. Trust me, it not just the Display that has improved. ITS THE CAMERA!. I am not saying about the 20mp. Its the quality of the pictures taken. The technology of the new camera. The software, to create an oversampled 8mp by using a 20mp sensor. The noise produced is.far lower. The exposure is far better. That is the software thatt ppl are trying to port to z, but failed! Its a diff class comparing Z & Z1

demoniality

Sep 29, 2013
Perfekt example of a fan boy.
I have both phones and i Must say the S4 has a much, much better screen with no distorsion when you look from the side. Also the colors are more dull on the Z1. I wish i knew that when ordering but I was mislead by XDA-fanboys

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
while he may be a fanboy, you are no judge of a quality screen if you are tricked to believe that over-saturated colours on Samsung amoled displays is superior to the true colours on the 'dull' z1.

danw_oz

Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
I do a lot of photography and have calibrated screens. The Samsung (can't comment on Samsungs latest screens) AMOLED has always has horrible colours compared to any phone I have previously owned . The Sony screens are one of the best in terms of colour reproduction, also the outside bright light readability on the Sony is the best I have used also.

S

SweFox

Never get real white color on rubbish amoled display:crying::crying:
:good::good:
I have both phones and i Must say the S4 has a much, much better screen with no distorsion when you look from the side. Also the colors are more dull on the Z1. I wish i knew that when ordering but I was mislead by XDA-fanboys
tumblr_lfy9qx731P1qcsoik.gif

I'm absolutely satisfied with my Xperia Z1's screen. I've compared it with my friend's S4 and the Z1 performs better under sunlight. But in indoors S4 is better. IMO couch potatos should get the S4, and the peeps who like going out should get the Z1. I'm an outdoor guy so I got the Z1 :p
while he may be a fanboy, you are no judge of a quality screen if you are tricked to believe that over-saturated colours on Samsung amoled displays is superior to the true colours on the 'dull' z1.
:good::good: - They have to saturate the crap out of it or else you will see all the flaw, the funny thing is that you see them anyway.
I do a lot of photography and have calibrated screens. The Samsung (can't comment on Samsungs latest screens) AMOLED has always has horrible colours compared to any phone I have previously owned . The Sony screens are one of the best in terms of colour reproduction, also the outside bright light readability on the Sony is the best I have used also.

Haha, I love that thumbs up :). Such a perfect smilie.

Rekoil

May 17, 2008
Göteborg
www.idroidproject.org

Of course the colours are more dull on the Z1, they are the real intended RGB colours and not over-saturated as hell. In the end it is a matter of preference, but I personally prefer to see the intended colours and not the over-saturated unnatural colours Samsungs push out.

Reactions: josephnero

alexschl

Sep 28, 2021
Well, I own a X1 for a week now, And I have come cross lots of posts complaining about the screen. Personally for me there is no problems with the viewing angles. I can easily watch youtube in my bed or use it on a table. You can see the pictures in the attachment. While the angled ones colors are a little bit off, this is an extreme angle so it is ok imo.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    LG looks best. Will not get the z1. Looks like a minor upgrade to the Z. I hope the next nexus will have the same displays as the LG.

Gesendet von meinem C6603 mit Tapatalk 4

APQ8064 --> MSM8974
    Exmor RS --> G Lens
    Bravia --> Triluminos

minor upgrade :eek:
    Ok I don't quite understand why some people are having freakin spak attacks about the screen on this Z1, they must be fanbois who are jealous at Sony cos they have launched this EPIC device!!

I have had a few hours with a Z1, it was a demo unit we have had for display, not sure if it's a pre production unit or not but either way I don't care as from what I saw and experienced was enough to make me pre order it and sell my HTC One!

I will note I owned a XZ when it first came out, I went through all that dissing about the screen angles etc and it didn't put me off, it was far too exaggerated imo! Yes I expected a better screen from Sony and yes I felt let down slightly.

Now I put my HTC One against the Z1 the other day and guess what the screen on both devices are awesome, I prefer LCD to AMOLED they look more natural. The only thing I will say is the glass screen does reflect light on the Z1 but which screen doesn't! I put the Z1's brightness up to 100% and imo it was too bright!

Also the demo unit is next to the XZ and I put both up to 100% brightness with adapt screen brightness off and you could see instantly the difference with the triluminous display on the Z1.

Anyway I hope this feedback puts some of those doubts in your mind away :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    Lol TN LCD???

I truly feel sorry for you Sony people. LCD is already bad enough but not even IPS, damn.

IPS is LCD lol, idiot sammy fanboy
    thats what years of marketing and pounding info into ppl mind can do. Like when you read all the CNET reviews for Samsung TV, it looks like they barely looked at it and take it for granted that its quarantined good. While with Sony tv the nitpit every single thing they can find. Typical.

Much like car magazines that automatically assume a new BMW or Porsche on test must be good because of its heritage. Well, maybe it is, but the point of a review is to look at it in its own right and give a fair and impartial review.

As I think I've said elsewhere on here, in the tech world there is a lot of bias depending on what phone(s) the staff use. Until fairly recently, most would have an iPhone (I think that's still the case in the majority of cases) but now there's a good chance that they're getting more used to Android - and already we can see a swing in opinions on sites that might have been pro-iOS and ignored many things on Android.

It's as if some writers hadn't actually used Android, but were quite happy to just keep saying about lack of app choice, fragmentation, the ease to hack, viruses etc and other exaggerated nonsense.

Now they're more pro-Android, they are of course now going to end up being pro one manufacturer over another. Which handset did they get given at the last press party? What phone did they upgrade to themselves? Which PR company is nicest to them or their title in terms of invites to press trips and exclusive press parties and gigs?

Some sites out there do proper in-depth reviews and understand a lot about the whole industry. They can make comparisons with other handsets and platforms because they use them all.

And some sites actually source their own review kit, so they're not in any way influenced by PR companies or the bribing of a free handset to keep. Or even the threat of not getting a phone to review next time around if giving a bad review.

Apple is the best at this. Give a bad review and forget about being invited to the next event (whether flown to Cupertino or a local venue streaming it). That means no hands-ons and people wondering where the hell your story is. The big tech sites can't afford to miss out and that's why I disregard a lot of what I read - and, to be honest, even when someone might say great things about a product you really do think is good and worthy of a high rating, you should still be aware of this fact.

Edit: finally, when it comes to the screen comparisons - I do think some people are forgetting that even the worst panel on the Xperia Z wasn't bad. I mean, yes we can make those comparisons between the GS4 and HTC One (do we know that every HTC One has the same panel?) but we're talking about a range of screens that are all still excellent and way above what a lot of people are using.

If you went out to buy a cheap, affordable, phone as a spare or whatever - you'd get something far, far worse and even that would be seen by most as perfectly usable. I struggle to think of any phone on sale today that has a terrible screen and would need to back a year or two to think of some Acer devices that had screens that went negative when tilted. Now those were bad screens.

An Xperia Z or Z1 tilted that changes the shade of the colours slightly but is still sharp and viewable is NOT a bad screen. 99% of consumers won't even notice, let alone comment or make comparisons. I'm surprised some online reviews have really slated the old Z for its screen when it's just not an issue. By all means mention it, as any good reviewer should, but that's about it.

Of course, in the world of fanboys on forums, I guess it's seen as the perfect weapon to attack Sony. It's really rather childish. I dare you to name one person in your family or friends that aren't so into tech to look at any of the high-end phones on sale and say 'oh, I think that screen is terrible'.
    Sony Xperia z1 vs Samsung galaxy s4 vs LG G2 screen comparison
    I think z1 looks best
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BJvWKk_uskw

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4