Xperia Z5 awful camera problems . Do you regret buying this phone ?

Search This thread

ross23

Jan 29, 2016
Brisbane
Hi all,
1- It takes pictures with blurry left side
2- Details are soft and not clear , sharpness is really bad if compared the Samsung Galaxy S6 , Iphone 6S and LG G4
3- The camera has troubles with focusing on close objects ( less than 10 cm )
4- Aggressive corners image distortion
5- Blue/purple tint on low light pictures
6- Slow and laggy shutter speed which is not accpeted for such high end specs
7- Only some limited manual controls

1. My unit does not do this. I think it could be hardware related so take it in for inspection/repair/replacement

2. I have had the Xperia Z1 and now the Z5. Both phones suffer the same issues. Sony's aggressive post-processing imaging software. Sony need to fine tune the software so that it does not do this. You take a nice picture, and when you zoom in, or view it on a bigger screen, the photos appear soft and lacks detail. However, I feel that the Z5 is better at processing images than my Z1 was.

3. Not sure about this one, but I have never experiences any issues with focusing. But I prefer using touch to focus rather than autofocus.

4. Interestingly enough, i sometimes get this, sometimes I do not. I think its related to point 2. The Sony's post-processing imaging software/algorithms

5. I find this happens in the dark in the black courners or when there is dark shadows. When I use the flash to take a photo of something close, I do not get this issue. But when i walk back and try to take a photo from the distance, the black parts do exhibit the purple.

6. Never notices.

7. This has always been a Sony thing. But I think their Manual modes are pretty good. But im not a huge photographer. I prefer to point and shoot rather than play around with manual controls to get the best picture.

For me, I find most of the issues Sonys pictures have is due to their post-processing algorithms. The hardware is definitely there. Sony needs to just fix the software!!

korom42

Dec 28, 2012
1. My unit does not do this. I think it could be hardware related so take it in for inspection/repair/replacement

2. I have had the Xperia Z1 and now the Z5. Both phones suffer the same issues. Sony's aggressive post-processing imaging software. Sony need to fine tune the software so that it does not do this. You take a nice picture, and when you zoom in, or view it on a bigger screen, the photos appear soft and lacks detail. However, I feel that the Z5 is better at processing images than my Z1 was.

3. Not sure about this one, but I have never experiences any issues with focusing. But I prefer using touch to focus rather than autofocus.

4. Interestingly enough, i sometimes get this, sometimes I do not. I think its related to point 2. The Sony's post-processing imaging software/algorithms

5. I find this happens in the dark in the black courners or when there is dark shadows. When I use the flash to take a photo of something close, I do not get this issue. But when i walk back and try to take a photo from the distance, the black parts do exhibit the purple.

6. Never notices.

7. This has always been a Sony thing. But I think their Manual modes are pretty good. But im not a huge photographer. I prefer to point and shoot rather than play around with manual controls to get the best picture.

For me, I find most of the issues Sonys pictures have is due to their post-processing algorithms. The hardware is definitely there. Sony needs to just fix the software!!

1- My unit is fine ,the blur appears often in landescapes , sometimes is not noticed especially with macro shots but, believe me it exists .
3- It does have problems with focusing with close objects , you can see some samples I already posted here , It has nothing to do with automatic or touch to focus methode :
http://xdaforums.com/xperia-z5/general/camera-focus-close-objects-t3319937/post65448178
6- Common man, the galaxy s6 camera has zero second shutter delay , it takes pictures instantly . why the Z5 don't have this .

Daniel_GB

Jul 30, 2010
Noshahr,IR
1- My unit is fine ,the blur appears often in landescapes , sometimes is not noticed especially with macro shots but, believe me it exists .
3- It does have problems with focusing with close objects , you can see some samples I already posted here , It has nothing to do with automatic or touch to focus methode :
http://xdaforums.com/xperia-z5/general/camera-focus-close-objects-t3319937/post65448178
6- Common man, the galaxy s6 camera has zero second shutter delay , it takes pictures instantly . why the Z5 don't have this .

As I said before, the left hand side blur is a hardware issue and you should send it back for warranty!
Sony has already confirmed this problem, you can search for it if you do not believe me;);)

About the focus on the closed object, it's a hardware limitation! it will not focus properly on objects closer than 12 cm...
you can try this method:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=65494407&postcount=11

korom42

Dec 28, 2012
As I said before, the left hand side blur is a hardware issue and you should send it back for warranty!
Sony has already confirmed this problem, you can search for it if you do not believe me;);)

About the focus on the closed object, it's a hardware limitation! it will not focus properly on objects closer than 12 cm...
you can try this method:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=65494407&postcount=11
Concerning left side blur I've already searched and read more than 700 topics about it , most of users who asked for replacements had same problem with their new units after up to two replacements .. my unit is doing a pretty good jobe if compared to other users units that I've seen , sometimes I do not have the blur and in other times I do have it .. some units are more affected then others but all units are affected :good:

About the focus , already saw that post . With a zoom of 5X you will lose a massive sharpness and have a lot of noise and soft looking picture.. besides this is not a permanent solution .

ross23

Jan 29, 2016
Brisbane
3- It does have problems with focusing with close objects , you can see some samples I already posted here , It has nothing to do with automatic or touch to focus methode

Yeah I have found that when i get really close to a subject, like within 5cm away from it, it struggles to focus. This really should be fixed, but i never take photos of anything within that distance. I only noticed it because you pointed it out! lol

Also, I find there is more lag after I take a photo. I think as the software is applying its algorithms and post-processing the image it takes a while. My camera boots pretty quickly though.

FYLin21

Feb 17, 2014
Lens Blur: Mine had this problem out of the box and it was quite visible with landscapes. Sony Taiwan took a few days to diagnose and didn't know what the problem was. On the third day I sent them samples and within two hours of that they replaced the lens unit. There's still some blur on both sides but it's more evened out. I don't think this problem is all that rare with smartphone cameras due to the wide lens. My HTC Butterfly s also had this issue but I never thought about it as the resolution was pretty low. Now some dust got into the lens as well, but it's only visible when I shine a desk lamp at a certain angle (looks like eye floaters). JerryRigEverything showed how the lens cover is plastic and scratches easily if you poke it with a knife.
The problem isn't the wide f2.0 aperture either - LG G5 and Galaxy S7 have wider apertures but only have a little bit of blur in the corners with landscape shots.

The shutter lag can be pretty annoying but it seems to have been fixed in the Xperia X Performance (it just blanks out but seems to capture it much faster, but it still lags a bit if you take too many pictures at once). However I'm still not sure whether it is a software or hardware issue.

Reactions: korom42
D

darkarvan

the point with laggyness in UI is real.... very good hardware, actual very bad software.
waiting for MM ................

N0whereMan

Dec 17, 2015
Again that SuperSaf comparison is complete nonsense. Z5 has a unique ultra wide angle lens. When compraring to other phones, you have to take the photo much closer on Z5 than on other phones.

In general, Z5 has very good post-processing algorithms. Z5 preserves detail much better on pixel level. Z5 has less noise reduction than other phones.

DxOMark and Dpreview have Z5 reviews done by professional photographers, and they both praise Z5's image quality.

The only real problems with Z5 are the limited manual controls and the camera app UI.

So what's that supposed to mean ?
Does this comparison made by SuperSaf has "nosense" too
https://youtu.be/3-Yxha0-I10

I understand your point , I also love my Z5 a lot but we have to acknowledge that this camera suffer from many problems.

frankm87

Dec 19, 2015
Again that SuperSaf comparison is complete nonsense. Z5 has a unique ultra wide angle lens. When compraring to other phones, you have to take the photo much closer on Z5 than on other phones.

In general, Z5 has very good post-processing algorithms. Z5 preserves detail much better on pixel level. Z5 has less noise reduction than other phones.

DxOMark and Dpreview have Z5 reviews done by professional photographers, and they both praise Z5's image quality.

The only real problems with Z5 are the limited manual controls and the camera app UI.
Did you get the Marshmallow update, and what do you think of the new camera app?
Just curious.

frankm87

Dec 19, 2015
@EQ2000

What do you think of the new MM camera app? Your opinion would be welcome.

Note: you own both a Z1 and a Z5. What worries me, looking at your post history, is that you still use your Z1 quite a bit.
Seems like this still is your primary phone! Surely the Z5 has problems with the camera that make you use your Z1, doesn't it?

EQ2000

Sep 4, 2015
@EQ2000

What do you think of the new MM camera app? Your opinion would be welcome.

Note: you own both a Z1 and a Z5. What worries me, looking at your post history, is that you still use your Z1 quite a bit.
Seems like this still is your primary phone! Surely the Z5 has problems with the camera that make you use your Z1, doesn't it?

Well still haven't rechieved the MM update here but will be interesting to see what they have changed. It is becouse I got it really fine tuned to my liking with apps and settings aswell that it with camera mods performs mostly better than the Z5. I also can choose ISO at full resolution and third party apps can use full resolution. I really hope Z5 MM update has this fixed as it AFAIK was a "bug" according to Sony. So I am waiting for some changes software wise either officially or by mods. They also need to tweak the white balance for certain low light situations where Z5 goes for blue or red hue which the Z1 jsut doesn't making it by far more color accurate in such situations. And since I made a good deal buying it new for roughly 40% discount then I can wait without getting angry! :laugh:

mgolder

Jun 21, 2010
Chorley
Evidently if you say you have no problems with the camera then you are an 'apologist' or even a 'zealot' according to one guy. God forbid some people just don't have any problems and are happy with their phone......

Like me. No problems with the picture quality for me. And I'm no apologist.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mano1982

frankm87

Dec 19, 2015
Well still haven't rechieved the MM update here but will be interesting to see what they have changed. It is becouse I got it really fine tuned to my liking with apps and settings aswell that it with camera mods performs mostly better than the Z5. I also can choose ISO at full resolution and third party apps can use full resolution. I really hope Z5 MM update has this fixed as it AFAIK was a "bug" according to Sony. So I am waiting for some changes software wise either officially or by mods. They also need to tweak the white balance for certain low light situations where Z5 goes for blue or red hue which the Z1 jsut doesn't making it by far more color accurate in such situations. And since I made a good deal buying it new for roughly 40% discount then I can wait without getting angry! :laugh:
Indeed, it seems like the Z1 compact would be a good choice for me : I need FM radio + video out + excellent camera. The Z1 has unfortunately no GLES 3.1 support but I can live with that (eg. can use something else for work purposes). I read the Z1 can even do 4K video recording if you tweak it.
I can get a new one for about €200. And I won't have the lens left blur 'random' issue of the Z5, which is annoying.
My wife likes our S5 Mini and wants to keep it.

Using your Z1 hardware with Z5 software makes a LOT of sense to me. The Z5 software has significant added value.

The following link shows the difference between the Z1/Z3/Z5 when used with their respective STOCK camera app.
(actually, these images are taken from http://www.sonyvores.fr/ but the server is down today).
Note: stock camera app, not the updated camera app using the Z5 camera libs.

For instance, here is an example picture :

05-1024x576.jpg

The difference between the Z1 and Z5 largely comes from the updated software, doesn't it?
The specs from the Z1's and Z5's sensors are very similar (20MP, etc.), so I assume the sensor performance is similar.
The problem with Z5 is the lens, quite frankly. Most problems come from the lens, let's face it!

I wondered if you could give us here the things that you actually prefer with the Z5 camera (if any!), compared to your Z1-with-Z5-camera-libs?
Truly your insight would be appreciated.

Additionally, does the Z1 (assuming Z5 camera libs are installed, I mean, as this is a do-it-or-not-do-it thing) support full manual control?

My birthday is in two weeks :) Have to decide quickly now!

Regards

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sony should make the IMX300 and all the other CMOS sensor's driver source code open to everyone so that people can edit and modify them at their will and get the best out of em. juat like I used to do back in the days with my Sony Ericsson K750i's camera driver named "CAMDRIVER0.DAT" . which was a simple text file with DAT extension and written in assembly language of some sort.

I want this because i believe that Sony's sensors are the best in business in terms of hardware but they really are bad at making softwares, drivers and image processing algorithms. If they were to make the source code of the core camera sensor driver open to public, which is found in the "system/vendor/camera" folder in the root directory of any SONY phone as a compiled version with the DAT extension [i.e for Xperia TX its "KMO13BS0_IMX091.DAT"], general users with interest and/or programming background could edit and modify them to their need and then other camera apps from the market could be used to take the actual pictures with more quality.

The problem with sony mobile's camera is the interpolation algorithm which must be used to generate any kind of image from a bayer array type CMOS sensor. From the look of photos taken with sony mobiles now a days I can say that the post processing algorithms are also pretty crappy in terms of exhaustive noise reduction and JPEG compression.

Last but not least, Sony should have implemented Google's Camera 2 API to its full extent for its Xperia Flagship lines starting from Xperia Z1. A 23 MP camera with sony's sensor cant capture image in DNG RAW format is a real shame for SONY and its user.

A nice quality centric, well written driver for the IMX*** CMOS sensors used in various sony xperia flagship devices can really be the milestone that could define sony mobile for the next decade.

I wish Sony will take my writing seriously.

------

Chinmoy Barman,
    Computer Engineer, life long Sony Ericsson & Sony user and developer,
    Dhaka, Bangladesh.
    Obsolete post.
    a few photos from my Z5p: superior auto + 20MP 16:9 (today)
    I don't know how you can compare these photos with Fairphone 2 samples posted by @EQ2000
    cgfp_dsc_0238_resize.jpg
    oatn_dsc_0256_resize.jpg

gocv_dsc_0277_resize.jpg

took the last 2 photos to check the left hand side blur, is it there?:confused:
    vtcz_dsc_0308_resize.jpg
    5ha1_dsc_0313_resize.jpg

check full size photos here:
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bw_5WeqOkEnzY3RLdWljQWFRaHc&usp=sharing
    It takes pictures with blurry left side

This is a known hardware issue on the limited number of units and you should send it back for warranty!

Details are soft and not clear , sharpness is really bad if compared the Samsung Galaxy S6 , Iphone 6S and LG G4

This is SONY and I have the exact same problem from the time of Xperia X10i (first SONY android smartphone):confused:

The camera has troubles with focusing on close objects ( less than 10 cm )

This is a wide lens and therefore has a limited focusing on close objects.
    I think I have read that it has a limit of 12 cm!

Only some limited manual controls

This problem is known to you prior to actually buying the phone!
    If its one thing that people just DON'T GET is, the quality of the Xperia Cameras is based on how you take a picture and your lighting. Phones like the iPhone and S6 are point and shoot types of cameras with lower specs. They still take good photos dont get me wrong but I had the LG V10 and despite it having all the bells and whistles, I think it took horrible photos, the amount of detail the camera captured was horrible. The Sony Xperia Camera however was able to capture more detail but with capturing more detail comes more possible erros while shooting, thats why you have to learn to actually use a camera, just like if you bought a nice Cannon DLSR, if you dont know how to use it or take good photos, then yes, by your own observation, you will assume the camera is bad, most of the times its the user and not the device. Also by DEFAULT the Xperia phones capture in 8MP 16:9, you have to manually change the MP and aspect on the camera settings to 23MP also, despite the XPeria having a good resolution screen, you really dont know what you have captured until you export the raw photo to you PC, AND NO, I DON'T MEAN BY UPLOADING YOUR PHOTOS TO FACEBOOK OR ANY OTHER SOCIAL SITE, most compress your photos and destroy some of the quality. Any way thats what i observe when people complain about things not working. And if people are so concerned about the camera, then we should stop complaining and buy DLSR cameras that are meant to take superior photos. Remember, the size of the sensor and lenses in these smartphones are 10 times smaller that a DLSR Camera and are not meant to replace them, although some phones can take nearly as good as photos as DLSR...again.... IF YOU KNOW HOW TO USE THE CAMERA. Catch my drift?