[Xposed][MOD][Android 4.4+] SMS, USSD, tethering and native SIP for Nexus devices

Search This thread

makuser

Apr 3, 2012
Augsburg
Xposed module to enable SMS, USSD and native SIP dialing on Nexus 4, 5, 6, 7 2012 and 2013, 9, and 10

I've created an Xposed module to give you a very simple and secure way to enable SMS, USSD and the native SIP dialing function on your Nexus 4, 5, 6, 7 2012 and 2013, 9, and 10. With this module you are now OTA-ready, as you don't have to revert to stock before applying an OTA, because you will not get the popular checksum error, because you don't have to flash anything (except Xposed) and thus don't modify any important file(s).

After this long time I should maybe give an update about the current status.
I red every single reply to this thread now and see there are some Nexus users having problems mainly with MMS. Well first of all I never talked about enabling MMS, but I enabled it anyway, because there isn't a difference to SMS in terms of how Google+OEMs+Providers blocked them.
That means the only reason why some of you are still not able to send and receive MMS messages is, because the provider blocks them at network level. So even though your tablet is able to send them, the providers tower doesn't even think about accepting such a message from your device, because you have a special contract.

The second problem I noticed is something I encountered myself. You will always get two pop-ups when you receive an SMS when you receive an SMS if your ROM already has an SMS receiver module like the SimpleMessageReceiver.apk that is installed by default in Googles Stock Android.
To solve that you have two options: Freeze the app in the app storage list or remove it completely. I recommend to freeze it, because a nonexistent file (after you removed it) would break incremental OTA updates.

I dropped the support for the flashable ZIP files, because they are just so uncomfortable, not cross ROM compatible, break updates, can lead to very ugly boot-loops on SOME devices without any reason. In fact, even if you copy an original framework apk from one stock Nexus 7 to another, you might even get problems there. Even though those files should be exactly the same, because the built number and md5 is the same. Very very strange and I don't have the time to investigate this.
In case you really - for whatever reason possible - don't want to install Xposed and this module, and still use the flashable ZIPs, @GuyAdams still continues to support them here. But it seems like this is for the SMS function only. You decide.

The Xposed module SHOULD work on ANY Android version, with ANY installed ROM on ANY device that is missing one of the above mentioned features. If it does not re-activate those functions on a device, you can still post it here, but Nexus devices will have priority.

If there is an important question for me you can mention me "@makuser". I currently don't have that much time, but I see @teddy0209 is already helping out a lot. Thank you very much for that! :) I would look out for a direct mention of my name in case anything else is unclear.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask them ;)

How to get it
If you don't know the Xposed Framework click here to read about it in the Xposed Module XDA-thread.
You will find the Xposed module in the Google Play Store and in the Xposed repo.

Watch it in action

Last edited:

blackbaa

Apr 6, 2011
CA-US
bootloop

Bootloop for me, although it did briefly make it to the lock screen the first boot.

I'm on rooted stock 4.4.1 using TWRP 2.6.3.1.

**EDIT: Got it to work by fixing permissions in TWRP immediately after installing.

Last edited:

SuperVito

Dec 9, 2013
I've a Nexus 2013 LTE with CM 11 based on KOT49E and flash zip with CMW but on reboot system hangs on the cyanogen logo .. I had to reinstall the rom ... Help!!!

saroman1

Feb 6, 2011
After installing SMS Mod the Nexus remained in Bootloop, I installed 2013_KOT49E_Revert and nexus started normally. Reinstalling the SMS Mod brought renewed Bootloop.
Then I installed 2013_KOT49E_Revert and directly behind the SMS Mod Now the MOD works

cfgh

Mar 19, 2011
Canary Islands
What i have done:
Scenario:
KOT49E rooted
ElementalX kernel 2.3
4.4 qc-optimized_bionic patch http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2546120
4.4 qc-optimized_dalvik patch http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2546120
Working without problems.

Flash KOT49E SMS (OP). Reboot and bootloop.

Solution (almost for me)
Flash KOT49E Revert to Stock in the OP. Reboot and verify.
Flash KOT49E_stock_revert.zip http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2546120
Reboot an verify.
Flash KOT49E SMS (OP) again, reboot and working.

As i want test qc optimized i re-flash both patchs in http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2546120.

Working !!!
Good luck

Reactions: mai77 and tspc

Larz2.2

Nov 27, 2010
FSM
Hung on me too... Stock KOT49E+ElementalX 2.3. Installed and cashe+dalvic wipe.

*But I was able to get it working by:

1) Boot TWRP (power+vol up) and ran the uninstall zip.
2) Restart -- everything looks normal.
3) Restart into TWRP and ran the install zip again.
...now it's working!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Xposed module to enable SMS, USSD and native SIP dialing on Nexus 4, 5, 6, 7 2012 and 2013, 9, and 10

I've created an Xposed module to give you a very simple and secure way to enable SMS, USSD and the native SIP dialing function on your Nexus 4, 5, 6, 7 2012 and 2013, 9, and 10. With this module you are now OTA-ready, as you don't have to revert to stock before applying an OTA, because you will not get the popular checksum error, because you don't have to flash anything (except Xposed) and thus don't modify any important file(s).

After this long time I should maybe give an update about the current status.
    I red every single reply to this thread now and see there are some Nexus users having problems mainly with MMS. Well first of all I never talked about enabling MMS, but I enabled it anyway, because there isn't a difference to SMS in terms of how Google+OEMs+Providers blocked them.
    That means the only reason why some of you are still not able to send and receive MMS messages is, because the provider blocks them at network level. So even though your tablet is able to send them, the providers tower doesn't even think about accepting such a message from your device, because you have a special contract.

The second problem I noticed is something I encountered myself. You will always get two pop-ups when you receive an SMS when you receive an SMS if your ROM already has an SMS receiver module like the SimpleMessageReceiver.apk that is installed by default in Googles Stock Android.
    To solve that you have two options: Freeze the app in the app storage list or remove it completely. I recommend to freeze it, because a nonexistent file (after you removed it) would break incremental OTA updates.

I dropped the support for the flashable ZIP files, because they are just so uncomfortable, not cross ROM compatible, break updates, can lead to very ugly boot-loops on SOME devices without any reason. In fact, even if you copy an original framework apk from one stock Nexus 7 to another, you might even get problems there. Even though those files should be exactly the same, because the built number and md5 is the same. Very very strange and I don't have the time to investigate this.
    In case you really - for whatever reason possible - don't want to install Xposed and this module, and still use the flashable ZIPs, @GuyAdams still continues to support them here. But it seems like this is for the SMS function only. You decide.

The Xposed module SHOULD work on ANY Android version, with ANY installed ROM on ANY device that is missing one of the above mentioned features. If it does not re-activate those functions on a device, you can still post it here, but Nexus devices will have priority.

If there is an important question for me you can mention me "@makuser". I currently don't have that much time, but I see @teddy0209 is already helping out a lot. Thank you very much for that! :) I would look out for a direct mention of my name in case anything else is unclear.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask them ;)

How to get it
    If you don't know the Xposed Framework click here to read about it in the Xposed Module XDA-thread.
    You will find the Xposed module in the Google Play Store and in the Xposed repo.

Watch it in action
    What i have done:
    Scenario:
    KOT49E rooted
    ElementalX kernel 2.3
    4.4 qc-optimized_bionic patch http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2546120
    4.4 qc-optimized_dalvik patch http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2546120
    Working without problems.

Flash KOT49E SMS (OP). Reboot and bootloop.

Solution (almost for me)
    Flash KOT49E Revert to Stock in the OP. Reboot and verify.
    Flash KOT49E_stock_revert.zip http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2546120
    Reboot an verify.
    Flash KOT49E SMS (OP) again, reboot and working.

As i want test qc optimized i re-flash both patchs in http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2546120.

Working !!!
    Good luck
    Hi cmslist,
    Ok, look back @ post #95 in this thread. @makuser made a working module that works great... but this thread needs cleaning up big time. Its not complicated, but people are getting confused and aren't willing to read a dozen pages for history and context. Sounds like you've got the module up and running right? Now install the Google Dialer properly. Find the right version, install it MANUALLY and give it full permissions. Reboot. Profit.

@makuser- recommend you clean up your first post (re-write). Get rid of the old deprecated method and provide a link to a working Dialer with instructions. If you can't, find an XDA mod who will assist. Keep.It.Simple.

I'm looking at the OP right now. The instructions are to get the app on Google Play after installing Xposed. Then it says = = = = = = deprecated = = = = = = and there are instructions underneath which presumably we are not supposed to follow because they don't refer to the Xposed mod.

Have I misconstrued what you are referring to?
    Hi,

Is tethering enabled by the Xposed module?

Thanks

No, not yet but I am going to release a new version by the end of this week.
    You will then be able to enable it again even though your provider may not allow you to do so by default because of your mobile tariff/contract.

I will then also have time to look into the issue with the dialer app not showing up by default.

So stay tuned, you will see the update in the Play Store by the end of the week if you are a beta tester (you will find the beta apk here as well) or else as a normal update by the end of next week in the Play Store and the Xposed repo.
    Thanks a lot. I searched in play store for google dialer which returned hangout dialer.
    so I assumed that is what you meant. Didn't know there is another one.

However, I tried to download from that topic but it says error 404
    http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=548940&st=480#entry49724771

Then I downloaded version 2.5.12_rc9 and 3.01.15_rc15 from here:
    http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google...ogle-phone-3-01-15_rc15-android-apk-download/

But none of those will install.
    It says "App not installed."

Can you please advise?
    My android version is 6.0.1. PureNexus ROM based on AOSP

UPDATE: I've moved the apk to /system/priv-app and changed the permission to 644
    Now it works fine.
    Thanks a lot.
    To download from 4pda you should register - otherwise you get that error.
    The newest Google dialer doesn't need additional manipulations - just install.