[XPOSED][MOD][LP+] Sensible Android Auto:Xposed

Search This thread

thxcertified

Mar 4, 2015
Would you be able to find the German verbiage in the attached strings.xml? An exact match would help out tremendously.

As shmykelsa already mentioned I'm also almost sure it's the string below. I have to drive to work in 45 minutes and I'm gonna verify it on the way and get back to you again.

<string name="park_to_use_keyboard">Zum Verwenden der Tastatur Fahrzeug anhalten</string>

Last edited:

thxcertified

Mar 4, 2015
Would you be able to find the German verbiage in the attached strings.xml? An exact match would help out tremendously.

So the exact wording is "Während der Fahrt nur Spracheingabe" and is unfortunately nowhere to be found in your strings xml. Tapping on the field directly activates voice control without a keyboard to pop up.

agentdr8

Mar 4, 2007
Cowtown, CA
So the exact wording is "Während der Fahrt nur Spracheingabe" and is unfortunately nowhere to be found in your strings xml. Tapping on the field directly activates voice control without a keyboard to pop up.

Hmm, I'll have to see if I can find that string in GMaps. Am I correct in assuming it only happens when using Google Maps via Android Auto?

thxcertified

Mar 4, 2015
Hmm, I'll have to see if I can find that string in GMaps. Am I correct in assuming it only happens when using Google Maps via Android Auto?

That's absolutely correct, just tested it. Everything is normal on the phone while driving.

I just added 2 photos of my test this noon. One while standing, one while driving.

Attachments

• IMG_20200225_121958.jpg
    IMG_20200225_121958.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20200225_122027.jpg
    IMG_20200225_122027.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 64
Reactions: agentdr8

agentdr8

Mar 4, 2007
Cowtown, CA
Actually whenever an app requires an input via Keyboard. So it could also be Waze or CarStream

Interesting. Then it likely isn't the navigation apps themselves. But I find it odd that the localizations aren't present if AA is responsible for blocking input into those text fields.

Do both of you have integrated Android Auto-capable head units in your vehicles? It might be something specific to the OEM integrations, in which case it's a car sensor class that I need to override.

I'll have to see what my aftermarket head unit shows when trying to input text while moving.

shmykelsa

Nov 21, 2013
Lecce
OnePlus 6T
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Interesting. Then it likely isn't the navigation apps themselves. But I find it odd that the localizations aren't present if AA is responsible for blocking input into those text fields.

Do both of you have integrated Android Auto-capable head units in your vehicles? It might be something specific to the OEM integrations, in which case it's a car sensor class that I need to override.

I'll have to see what my aftermarket head unit shows when trying to input text while moving.

Yeah my car has Android Auto natively, but are you sure localization are missing? Because Italian localization are there.

agentdr8

Mar 4, 2007
Cowtown, CA
Yeah my car has Android Auto natively, but are you sure localization are missing? Because Italian localization are there.

I meant as verbatim from the screenshot. Unless the German localization for that string gets presented differently?

So what @thxcertified showed in the picture, the phrase when the text field is blocked is exactly: Während der Fahrt nur Spracheingabe

But what I see in the strings.xml for all de-variants is: Sprachsuche während der Fahrt

This is for the voice_search_title string, which may or may not be the correct string value for that textview.

The two strings that stand out in the GMaps package are these:

<string name="CAR_SEARCH_ALL_DESTINATIONS_HINT">Search all destinations</string>
<string name="CAR_VOICE_ONLY_WHEN_DRIVING">Voice only while driving</string>

The first looks like what could be translated to "Alle Ziele durchsuchen", and the second might end up as "Während der Fahrt nur Spracheingabe", but since there are no values-de/strings.xml located within the Gmaps apk, I'm not sure how it's localizing those strings into German.

shmykelsa

Nov 21, 2013
Lecce
OnePlus 6T
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
I meant as verbatim from the screenshot. Unless the German localization for that string gets presented differently?

So what @thxcertified showed in the picture, the phrase when the text field is blocked is exactly: Während der Fahrt nur Spracheingabe

But what I see in the strings.xml for all de-variants is: Sprachsuche während der Fahrt

This is for the voice_search_title string, which may or may not be the correct string value for that textview.

The two strings that stand out in the GMaps package are these:

<string name="CAR_SEARCH_ALL_DESTINATIONS_HINT">Search all destinations</string>
<string name="CAR_VOICE_ONLY_WHEN_DRIVING">Voice only while driving</string>

The first looks like what could be translated to "Alle Ziele durchsuchen", and the second might end up as "Während der Fahrt nur Spracheingabe", but since there are no values-de/strings.xml located within the Gmaps apk, I'm not sure how it's localizing those strings into German.

Maybe I might be wrong but... Aren't that photo with keyboard not open? Otherwise the search bar on the top would not be visible

agentdr8

Mar 4, 2007
Cowtown, CA
Maybe I might be wrong but... Aren't that photo with keyboard not open? Otherwise the search bar on the top would not be visible

Good point, but maybe I'm confused on the actual behavior here. Does the keyboard pop-up and is grayed out when that textview is tapped while in motion? Or does it just show a toast message, and no keyboard is presented on-screen?

My thinking was if the text within that search box changes when it senses the vehicle in motion, then it would be much easier to locate the code that handles the switching of the text labels, and then that'll lead to the input-blocking method, which could be overridden.

shmykelsa

Nov 21, 2013
Lecce
OnePlus 6T
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Good point, but maybe I'm confused on the actual behavior here. Does the keyboard pop-up and is grayed out when that textview is tapped while in motion? Or does it just show a toast message, and no keyboard is presented on-screen?

My thinking was if the text within that search box changes when it senses the vehicle in motion, then it would be much easier to locate the code that handles the switching of the text labels, and then that'll lead to the input-blocking method, which could be overridden.

When in movement and open an editText, by default AA says to check out phone's keyboard and no keyboard is shown at all. If then you tap on a symbol on the phone's keyboard, it will say to park the car

thxcertified

Mar 4, 2015
My car also has the android auto natively with the inbuilt panel.

When I click on the "Während der Fahrt nur Spracheingabe" field, it directly activates the Google voice thing, without showing a keyboard. As if I was clicking right on the mic icon.

In the "Alle Ziele durchsuchen" field (basically the same but when parked) it opens a keyboard on the screen where I can put my destination in.

shmykelsa

Nov 21, 2013
Lecce
OnePlus 6T
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
My car also has the android auto natively with the inbuilt panel.

When I click on the "Während der Fahrt nur Spracheingabe" field, it directly activates the Google voice thing, without showing a keyboard. As if I was clicking right on the mic icon.

In the "Alle Ziele durchsuchen" field (basically the same but when parked) it opens a keyboard on the screen where I can put my destination in.

Actually now that I remember, you are right. It won't let the keyboard show at all if you are on the go. But if you stop and then go the keyboard gets disabled

agentdr8

Mar 4, 2007
Cowtown, CA
Thanks. It must be a CarSensor class that I'm missing, as it doesn't happen on my aftermarket AA headunit, even when in motion.

I'll see what I can find in the code.

agentdr8

Mar 4, 2007
Cowtown, CA
Uploaded a new release of the mod. Hopefully it works; there still isn't a 32-bit version of 5.2 available to test on my device. I found a few additional CarSensorEvent classes to override, so please let me know if any experiences have improved.

Also report any crashes with debug logs so I can try and address them.

fkrrr

Dec 5, 2016
AA-Version: 5.1.500644
Google: 11.3.9.21.arm64
Saax: newest

Notification don't show the message while in movement.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Simple module to make Android Auto less restrictive. History on this module can be found here and an article about the in-motion tap limits here. This module should remove the "speed bump" notification (Browsing locked for safety) and allow you to scroll through lists (playlists, song lists, etc) without hindrance.

There's also a reddit thread/request which has more specifics about what this module is trying to accomplish.

Features:
    • Should work for all aftermarket AA-capable headunits (might require a hard-wired bypass module depending on model)
    • Should also work for most OEM AA headunits that are built into newer vehicles
    • Should also work for standalone AA running on a phone and not connected to a headunit

Here comes the really large and obnoxious disclaimer.......

This module can alter the built-in safety features that Google has implemented in Android Auto. By downloading and installing, you agree that YOU, and only YOU, are solely responsible for any negative repercussions that may result. This can include injury to yourself and/or others, property damage, or loss of life. Under no circumstances is the author of this module responsible for its use!

...not that a simple disclaimer on a forum post would go far if anything were to happen, but I felt the need to put it out there. Please use YOUR best judgement when it comes to operating a vehicle and futzing with your Android Auto headunit.

Development and testing was done on a Nexus 5x running Android Auto v1.6.240040 (2719917-release) and a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX w/ micro bypass. This should work on any Lollipop and newer rom, assuming Android Auto works on it.

Downloads

See attached files on this post.
    You can also grab it from the Xposed Repo

XDA:DevDB Information
    Sensible Android Auto:Xposed , Xposed for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    agentdr8
    Source Code: Gitlab

Xposed Package Name: com.dr8.xposed.saax

Version Information
    Stable
    Current Stable Version: 6.3.611314
    Stable Release Date: 2021-04-12

Created 2016-06-04
    Last Updated 2021-04-12
    Sorry for the delay. New version posted to OP and Repo.
    4.4 is out. Please update if you can. Thanks!

Will try to get to it before this weekend.
    Question: should I hold of on updating aa from play store until this module gets updated?

Yes. Unfortunately Google has obfuscated the code in AA since around version 2.x, so the module has to be adapted to every version that comes out.

That being said, it sometimes helps bring it to my attention that a new AA version is available if someone posts in this thread.

I'll try and work on 3.5.583xxx and post something shortly.

EDIT: Updated first post (and Repo) with module for AA 3.5.583xxx -- Please let me know if there are any issues.
    I'll try it under Android Auto Version 2.7.573954 and let you know.

I posted an updated version for the latest AA on the OP and to the Xposed Repo.