• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[XPOSED][MOD] Twitter Ad Eater

Search This thread

ppawelppawel

Jul 7, 2011

ChesterXXX

May 21, 2015
Kolkata
Working with Android 11 / EdXposed 0.5.2.2_4683 / OP5T

May I post a feature request?!

It seems you are filtering out all the views containing the string "promoted". Could you like add an option for custom strings?!

For example, I really don't wish to see k-pop news popping up on my trending page! So I could add the string "K-Pop" (is it case sensitive?)

Cheers!

ppawelppawel

Jul 7, 2011

It seems you are filtering out all the views containing the string "promoted". Could you like add an option for custom strings?!

For example, I really don't wish to see k-pop news popping up on my trending page! So I could add the string "K-Pop" (is it case sensitive?)

Cheers!

The code searches for the "promoted" string in the view id, not in the content of the tweets. It is really hard to find out exactly the content of the tweets because the structure of the Twitter app UI is very complex and also the whole app is scrambled with ProGuard, so it's not easy to reverse-engineer anything.

I will add your request to the TODO list and keep it in mind in case I will find a way to get tweet content.

inalam022

Oct 7, 2013
Bekasi
The code searches for the "promoted" string in the view id, not in the content of the tweets. It is really hard to find out exactly the content of the tweets because the structure of the Twitter app UI is very complex and also the whole app is scrambled with ProGuard, so it's not easy to reverse-engineer anything.

I will add your request to the TODO list and keep it in mind in case I will find a way to get tweet content.
these feature will be too strong. imagine opening elon's tweet replies without bitcoin and youtube links🤣. btw awesome moves dev thanks

ppawelppawel

Jul 7, 2011
Not sure if it will work but LSPosed at least supports Android 8.1 so I will try to release a version with proper SDK requirements so you can try it out - right now at least Android 10 is required by the apk I think.

ppawelppawel

Jul 7, 2011
just want to throw out there that I love this module, it's so simple yet so effective because nothing else removes the ridiculous promoted ads (tried dns level blocking & minminguard). on a side note, I wish we had a module to remove the same type of ads in the official reddit app, but that's wishful thinking.
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, the module is quite simple but there is one flaw - if you scroll up and down your timeline, you will notice that the whole view is jumping around, like it skips one or two posts sometimes. This is because the way the module works - it hides the posts that are ads and it is visible when you scroll.

It would be much better to take out the ads before they get added to the timeline view but it's very complicated to figure out how the Twitter app works as everything is obfuscated and it's a huge code base to analyze.

Anyway, thanks again, glad you enjoy it.

ppawelppawel

Jul 7, 2011
Does the app work on Android 8? I can't install in on my phone running Oreo now.
New version released which should be installable on Android 8.1 (SDK 27).

Can't go lower than that because of LSPosed compatibility.

Reactions: fijasko

thirtythr33

Sep 3, 2011
New York
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9 Pro
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, the module is quite simple but there is one flaw - if you scroll up and down your timeline, you will notice that the whole view is jumping around, like it skips one or two posts sometimes. This is because the way the module works - it hides the posts that are ads and it is visible when you scroll.

It would be much better to take out the ads before they get added to the timeline view but it's very complicated to figure out how the Twitter app works as everything is obfuscated and it's a huge code base to analyze.

Anyway, thanks again, glad you enjoy it.
I really do not even notice the jumping around, but its a small price to pay for no promoted nonsense. thanks dev

xymopen

May 6, 2017
New version released which should be installable on Android 8.1 (SDK 27).

Can't go lower than that because of LSPosed compatibility.
Thanks for your work. Works on Oreo with LSPosed without problem!

Reactions: ppawelppawel

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Twitter Ad Eater is a module for the Xposed/LSPosed framework that attempts to remove ads from the Twitter Android application.

Currently tested on Android 11 / latest LSPosed but should work on other versions as well.

Downloads: https://github.com/ppawel/twitter-ad-eater/releases
    Source code: https://github.com/ppawel/twitter-ad-eater
    Report issue: https://github.com/ppawel/twitter-ad-eater/issues

Cheers!

Thank you! Can confirm this works with the latest EdXposed 0.5.2.2_4683.
    Sorry, been busy with work in the last few weeks, but will try to add some more filtering features soon.
    just want to throw out there that I love this module, it's so simple yet so effective because nothing else removes the ridiculous promoted ads (tried dns level blocking & minminguard). on a side note, I wish we had a module to remove the same type of ads in the official reddit app, but that's wishful thinking.