• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Xposed module for AA

Search This thread

xela92

Aug 7, 2009
I can still see people asking for an AA Xposed module, but nobody says anything about what that module should do. It's like asking for an app for your phone, but not saying what that app should do...
Come on guys, you can do better than that! Nobody would start developing a module unless he either has an idea of his own or somebody suggests something more precise.

the module should let you use some other android features on your auto. For instance, see videos. Why can't I see a video on the display of my car (of course if I'm not driving I would see it, but if I'm driving my passenger maybe wishes to use this functionality instead)?
Or why not, using the data provided by the car to build a service that monitors things and sends some kinda alert (just to say a thing, when my fuel is getting empty, notice me if there's a gas station in the nearby!)

it should be possible, in my opinion, to fully make the most of the android powers, using the car's data, the bigger display, and so on.

Last edited:
Sadly, @xela92, some of the things you're mentioning there are not possible. For one, the car doesn't sent that much data to the head unit. Just, positioning, acceleration, day/night and that's about it. No fuel level or anything similar.
As for the driver distractions (as preventing video playback is called), they might be ignored by the phone or not. That is a thing to be looked into., but I wouldn't be too surprised if I wouldn't work either.

Just my two (€) cents...

krilok

From what I've read on the net and tested on my Kia, while using AA on the cars built in unit, audio is routed through USB and not through Bluetooth, thus rendering any audio processor you may be using on the phone useless, since the cars head unit is doing all the processing (For example, viper4android). In my case, my cars stock audio equaliser is rather basic, and the sound quality is frankly bland, so maybe someone can come up with a way to force audio processing from the phone through an xposed module?

Sent from my LG-H870 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

CapBlah

Feb 12, 2010
Sadly, @xela92, some of the things you're mentioning there are not possible. For one, the car doesn't sent that much data to the head unit. Just, positioning, acceleration, day/night and that's about it. No fuel level or anything similar.
As for the driver distractions (as preventing video playback is called), they might be ignored by the phone or not. That is a thing to be looked into., but I wouldn't be too surprised if I wouldn't work either.

Just my two (€) cents...

Many of these things (access to read car's sensors and meters) should/could be accessible using an OBD/OBD2 Bluetooth interface, I believe.

toettoetdaan

Aug 15, 2010
In The Netherlands, we have the app Flitsmeister: https://www.flitsmeister.nl/ (sorry their main page is Dutch) it is the best app for speed limit warnings.

But: ( https://support.flitsmeister.nl/faq...s Flitsmeister work with Android auto yet?/en )
Does Flitsmeister work with Android auto yet?
That’s a very good question. Unfortunately, Android auto only allows media and messages. What’s more, Google (just like Apple) is not that keen to allow apps. We’ll keep trying!

If this module should do one thing, it is to lift the limitations of the app's we are allowed to use on AA.

EDIT: Maybe @agentdr8 knows how hard this is?

Last edited:

agentdr8

Mar 4, 2007
Cowtown, CA
<snip>
If this module should do one thing, it is to lift the limitations of the app's we are allowed to use on AA.

EDIT: Maybe @agentdr8 knows how hard this is?

Can't be done with a module, as it's defined within the AndroidManifest.xml in addition to an included Auto xml config file that defines capabilities. Neither of these can be edited/overridden directly by an Xposed module. The only way you could make a non-AA app work with AA would be to decompile it, change/update those 2 xml files, and add in a bunch of calls to redirect audio & notifications to AA*, recompile and install under a different package name.

*this part could be handled by an Xposed module

krilok

From what I've read on the net and tested on my Kia, while using AA on the cars built in unit, audio is routed through USB and not through Bluetooth, thus rendering any audio processor you may be using on the phone useless, since the cars head unit is doing all the processing (For example, viper4android). In my case, my cars stock audio equaliser is rather basic, and the sound quality is frankly bland, so maybe someone can come up with a way to force audio processing from the phone through an xposed module?

Actually, I've found an alternative solution to this. Purchase the SoundAbout app from the playstore, set it to always route media audio to Bluetooth A2DP, and voila, viper4android and AA getting along perfectly... [emoji4]

Edit: Scratch that... Placebo effect. [emoji22] Still looking for a workaround... Any suggestions?

Last edited:

xela92

Aug 7, 2009

Just my two (€) cents...
@daniel_loft it's really sad that a piece of software born to interact with a car doesn't get all of the car's data... That means it totally lacks potential...
Maybe about the videos we need an Android Auto system mod to pass the data we want to the screen, seems quite complicated (and not sure about screen refresh timings) but it would be very cool.

@CapBlah sad enough the need to use OBD to get the data it should pass me in AA, but maybe a mod for AA that takes the data from OBD, populates an AA view and registers an observer able to react to data changes could be a partial, and quite unelegant, solution...

Ralfioni

Dec 26, 2010
Any developer here driving an Audi? Here's a suggestion: Manipulate AA not to disable the onboard navigation system (especially in the HUD and VC) when Google Maps starts to navigate. That would be awesome. :)

Any developer here driving an Audi? Here's a suggestion: Manipulate AA not to disable the onboard navigation system (especially in the HUD and VC) when Google Maps starts to navigate. That would be awesome. :)

That is most probably done in the car's head unit software (at least that is the case with some Mercedes models). I know for sure because I was involved in such a project.

jokergermany

Jul 24, 2010

You can use an Alternative.
For Example i use Magic Earth for this Case.

Magic Earth only works in AA only with a rooted smartphone, but waze should work fine without root.

Last edited:

Ralfioni

Dec 26, 2010
You can use an Alternative.
For Example i use Magic Earth for this Case.

Magic Earth only works in AA only with a rooted smartphone, but waze should work fine without root.

Right, Waze doesn't kill the Onboard navigation, so I figured AA could be manipulated to block whatever Google Maps triggers as well.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

I only like to start a thread about the development of an Xposed module for tweak AA.
    Someone is interested on it? :confused:

Reagards!
    You guys can give the module a try. I've started a support thread here.
    We are all intrested but with out a dev this subject will be just that. A subject.

I may not be a real developer (in the Recognized Dev sense), but I've been looking into at least removing the scrolling restrictions while vehicle is in motion. Once I have something more concrete I'll likely create a separate support thread for that module.
    Hi,

I only like to start a thread about the development of an Xposed module for tweak AA.
    Someone is interested on it? :confused:

Reagards!

Oh yes - I would be very interested. I just have to wait for another 1-2 months until my car (A4) with AA/CarPlay support will be delivered.
    Hey, it would be great to get rid of the limitation of only viewing few entries in a list when scrolling... I believe this is tracked via GPS, so it would be great to feedback a velocity of 0 to this process only.

Is this in specific apps only, or all AA-enabled ones?