• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question XQ-BC72 model version on Verizon?

Search This thread

morphius88

Dec 12, 2010
OnePlus 8T
Sony Xperia 1 III
So I bought the XQ-BC72 model and flashed US firmware. Earlier this year I was able to do this on the Xperia 5 II and it worked perfectly. The 5 II was also the Chinese/Asian model that I flashed to US firmware.

So has anyone managed to use the asian model on verizon with or without flashing US firmware?

UPDATE: I called verizon tech support and got them to add the IMEI number to my phone line. This along with a 4G sim card has allowed me to get LTE on this phone and sending/receiving texts works too. Sweet. Will try getting VoLTE or VoWIFI to work, but I highly doubt it.

UPDATE 2: LTE/4G only worked where I originally set it up (at work, within their WiFi range). Very odd behavior. As soon as I left work, service was gone. Connecting to any other WiFi did not bring back service. As soon as I got back to the office, the service came back. This is so weird. I did all this on a 4G sim card. Will try using a 5G sim card before giving up and getting a US version or staying on the OnePlus 8T.

UPDATE 3: I got Verizon to work on the XQ-BC72. I flashed from the US Firmware to Taiwan Firmware (TW). You will still need a sim card that is provisioned as CDMA-less by verizon (you can do this over the phone or chat on their website) while inserted into a phone that verizon supports (such as your currently phone most likely if you already use Verizon). Then just switch out the sim card into the Sony and should be good to go.

Last edited:

delfuhd

Oct 20, 2005
Sony Xperia 1 III
You're brave to be a guinea pig here, and it's much appreciated. I'd love to purchase the bc72 but am too worried about compatibility with Verizon. Please update us on your progress or lack thereof, I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in the outcome

morphius88

Dec 12, 2010
OnePlus 8T
Sony Xperia 1 III
You're brave to be a guinea pig here, and it's much appreciated. I'd love to purchase the bc72 but am too worried about compatibility with Verizon. Please update us on your progress or lack thereof, I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in the outcome
Well I got it to work for a little bit. Basically, it only worked while I was at work within the range of my works WiFi (this is where I set up the phone by chatting with verizon). As soon as I left work, I lost LTE and it would not return until I went back inside the building (yes I was still in range of the service signal). Its very odd. Connecting to any other WiFi outside of work did not bring back LTE/service.

I will attempt to get a 5g sim card and try again but I doubt I will get better results. I am currently using a verizon 4G sim card which works perfectly in OnePlus 8T (which was converted from TMobile to Global)

morphius88

Dec 12, 2010
OnePlus 8T
Sony Xperia 1 III
See update 3 above if anyone is interested in using the international model (XQ-BC72) on Verizon. Benefits of this route is you can use the Gray color model as well (not just black and purple that the US model allows) and you can also get the one with 512gb storage (internal storage is almost always faster than SD cards). Downsides are warranty is probably gone, no 5G or VoLTE support most likely.