• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

XT1925-7 Screen Flickering Issue After OTA Update to PPS29.55.-37-7-10

Search This thread

shapes.online

Mar 29, 2020
I inherited a Moto G6 XT1925-7 RETAPAC on Stock ROM. After resetting and going through the normal initial setup there was a notification of an OTA update that's available. I updated the ROM and after the reboot the screen started to flicker with the screen split into 2-3, showing the same parts of the screen in a distorted manner. The screen itself is impossible to view, but still registers the touches when I press the locations of where a button would've been on the screen.

Bootloader was locked when this happened. I have since been able to unlock the bootloader.

The flickers happen in fastboot (not very often) and recovery as well (worse in TWRP and OrangeFox than stock recovery).

Would this be a bootloader issue? Would I be able to overwrite the bootloader with another version since this is supposedly the latest and last version available? Or is it time to move on, and label the phone as beyond repair?

Appreciate all thoughts and assistance.

shapes.online

Mar 29, 2020
Try unlocking bootloader and reflashing stock rom. If the issue is still there after this try a custom rom. If issue is also in this other rom then the screen is bad and needs replacement. I never had any issue with screen flickering after an OTA update. You can download it here: https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/moto/ali/official/RETAPAC/
Ya, have tried both stock and custom ROMs, same result. Was hoping it was a software issue but I guess it's not. Just the timing of it perhaps, installed update and the issue started.

Unless I come across a cheap screen I will just sell the phone off for parts. There's also a chance the GPU is gone, so replacing the screen won't help.

mrsiri

Sep 16, 2017
Ya, have tried both stock and custom ROMs, same result. Was hoping it was a software issue but I guess it's not. Just the timing of it perhaps, installed update and the issue started.

Unless I come across a cheap screen I will just sell the phone off for parts. There's also a chance the GPU is gone, so replacing the screen won't help.
What if you try to install another GPU driver?

Installing new driver and clearing gpu cacge fixed some visual buga on a custom rom I was using.

shapes.online

Mar 29, 2020
Unlikely to be GPU drivers if it happens at fastboot and recovery too. Most likely hardware issue. Well, RIP phone!