XT1965-T - jumpy useless GPS

Search This thread

bibikalka

May 14, 2015
I have an XT1965-T whose GPS seemed fine with QPWS30.61-21-18-7-3 (never noticed any issues). But the system got very slow over time.

End of November 2021 I did a dirty flash of QPWS30.61-21-18-7-12 in the other slot, it booted without issues. The system got quite a bit faster.

I also changed the cellular provider in early Dec.

Now my GPS is 1-2 streets off. It's almost useless. It seems to move around several streets in a few seconds if I open Google Maps.

I tried to clear modemst1/modemst2 - did not help. I tried to copy modem/fsg partitions from the earlier QPWS30.61-21-18-7-3 to the current QPWS30.61-21-18-7-12 - also no improvement. I reverted back.

Googling for "moto g7 plus gps" brings quite a few complaints. One poster had 2 phones with the latest updates have this issue. It seems like it's in the software.

Any ideas what's happening?

Joes221984

Jan 28, 2022
I have the very same phone with very same issue that started dec 2021. After talking to Motorola company and many tries this ended up working for me yesterday. Got to setting select app & notification press on see all apps then press the 3 dots on top right and select reset app preferences. Then restart phone and go to your gps apps and give permission of location and storage. Hope this helps as it did for me. I use Google maps and tomtom go which now work great.

Reactions: bibikalka

bibikalka

May 14, 2015
I have the very same phone with very same issue that started dec 2021. After talking to Motorola company and many tries this ended up working for me yesterday. Got to setting select app & notification press on see all apps then press the 3 dots on top right and select reset app preferences. Then restart phone and go to your gps apps and give permission of location and storage. Hope this helps as it did for me. I use Google maps and tomtom go which now work great.

This did not work for me. I cleared permissions, and Maps started in the correct location, and then drifted again. Have you done any other operations else before that?

Do you recall when you updated the system last, was it in Dec? Have you changed your cell provider in Dec by any chance? Any changes you can remember?

When I open the Maps, I am often in the right place. Then it starts to drift. Same story with Waze.

I now wonder if it's some update that messed things up, like Google Play Services. I tried downgrading the cell modem last week (my phone is rooted) - did not help.

Here are few more reports of the issues, all in Dec 2021:

Joes221984

Jan 28, 2022
After going to setting then app& notification then selecting see all app where the 3 dots on top right you selected reset app preferences? But did you go back and give permission to gps apps to use location in app info? Doing those exact steps that Motorola person on phone told me to do worked. Other options they gave me but didn't help but might help you is * restart phone..* turn on and off location and airplane mode..* doing a network reset or lastly which I hated was doing factory reset. I have AT&T. I say call Motorola customer service. They can give you options.

Joes221984

Jan 28, 2022
After doing "reset app preferences" I went back to apps and open app info and gave permission to location, physical activities and storage. Here is a screenshot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220128-155029.png
    Screenshot_20220128-155029.png
    152 KB · Views: 11

bibikalka

May 14, 2015
After doing "reset app preferences" I went back to apps and open app info and gave permission to location, physical activities and storage. Here is a screenshot.
Maps is a built in app, and even if I reset permissions, it comes back with the Location permission turned on. Even if I turn it off manually, it still comes back turned on after a reboot. I will try to drive after this procedure - and see how it goes. It does not seem to jump as far, but still it's not locking onto my house location. Another Moto - Moto E is not moving, and showing the correct location.

Is yours now sticking solid to where you are at? No drift at all?

Update: it just drifted several houses again! Are you sure yours is working properly?

Joes221984

Jan 28, 2022
Yes my works properly, I used my tomtom go app yesterday and today with no issues. When I use Google map the blue dot stays in one stop were as before would show dot like few blocks down. I say call Motorola customer service and explain to them the issue they helped me. Just bare with them they need to go through all the steps you probably already did. The steps I explained to you are the ones they told me yesterday and it worked. Give them a call and let me know if they helped out.

bibikalka

May 14, 2015
Yes my works properly, I used my tomtom go app yesterday and today with no issues. When I use Google map the blue dot stays in one stop were as before would show dot like few blocks down. I say call Motorola customer service and explain to them the issue they helped me. Just bare with them they need to go through all the steps you probably already did. The steps I explained to you are the ones they told me yesterday and it worked. Give them a call and let me know if they helped out.
Can you reset permissions again and see if Maps "location" permission has to be activated, or it comes back by itself? It's a built in app, i think those permissions are baked in.

Can you share your build version? It sits in "About phone". Mine is QPWS30.61-21-18-7-12. Software channel says "RETLA" for me.

Last edited:

Joes221984

Jan 28, 2022
If I do I'd have to restart phone which erases my music I have downloaded on Spotify and have to redownload. Lady told me after doing "reset app preferences" you have to restart phone. After I did I went back to apps and had to give permission for apps. Sorry.

bibikalka

May 14, 2015
If I do I'd have to restart phone which erases my music I have downloaded on Spotify and have to redownload. Lady told me after doing "reset app preferences" you have to restart phone. After I did I went back to apps and had to give permission for apps. Sorry.
No problem. Could you at least provide this info:

"Can you share your build version? It sits in "About phone". Mine is QPWS30.61-21-18-7-12. Software channel says "RETLA" for me."

Joes221984

Jan 28, 2022
Sure mine is QPWS30.61-21-18-7-12 and Retla also. Like I said call Motorola and they can help you. Give them your IMEI number is also in the about phone section. Lady asked for my IMEI and she told me about the steps that help mine work

bibikalka

May 14, 2015
Sure mine is QPWS30.61-21-18-7-12 and Retla also. Like I said call Motorola and they can help you. Give them your IMEI number is also in the about phone section. Lady asked for my IMEI and she told me about the steps that help mine work

Somehow I doubt that :) But thanks for your help so far!!!

It's not clear why permission reset helps - the GPS drift happens across all apps.

bibikalka

May 14, 2015

So my GPS still drifts occasionally. But I used it to navigate yesterday, and it mostly knew where I was and gave sensible directions. So something must have worked after all - although still not fully like it should be.

aka.bugle

Jan 30, 2015
Moto G7 Plus

I have an XT1965-T whose GPS seemed fine with QPWS30.61-21-18-7-3 (never noticed any issues). But the system got very slow over time.

End of November 2021 I did a dirty flash of QPWS30.61-21-18-7-12 in the other slot, it booted without issues. The system got quite a bit faster.
Hello, I also have a XT1965-T and looking for an image for this phone on lolinet (lake, official,retla) , I can only find QPWS30.61-21-18-7-10 for the 1965-T.
Yet if I perform a "fastboot getvar all" ... I see...
..... edited for pertinant info....

(bootloader) radio: TMO
(bootloader) sku: XT1965-T
(bootloader) ro.build.fingerprint[0]: motorola/lake_n/lake_n:10/QPWS30.6
(bootloader) ro.build.fingerprint[1]: 1-21-18-7-12/b1002:user/release-ke
(bootloader) ro.build.fingerprint[2]: ys
(bootloader) ro.carrier: retla
.... end...
Where did you find the an official QPWS30.61-21-18-7-12 for the 1965-T RETLA?
I should have backed mine up as soon as I got the phone... oops.
i can't back mine up now because its running LineageOS, but if I want to return to stock i'd have to use an older image.
Lolinet maintainer on Telegram say "motorola,official,lake... lake is out of date, and you can't get any future update"...
Do you have the same device, radio, carrier as mine? Might you have a good stock backup?
<bugle>

bibikalka

May 14, 2015
Hello, I also have a XT1965-T and looking for an image for this phone on lolinet (lake, official,retla) , I can only find QPWS30.61-21-18-7-10 for the 1965-T.
Yet if I perform a "fastboot getvar all" ... I see...
..... edited for pertinant info....

(bootloader) radio: TMO
(bootloader) sku: XT1965-T
(bootloader) ro.build.fingerprint[0]: motorola/lake_n/lake_n:10/QPWS30.6
(bootloader) ro.build.fingerprint[1]: 1-21-18-7-12/b1002:user/release-ke
(bootloader) ro.build.fingerprint[2]: ys
(bootloader) ro.carrier: retla
.... end...
Where did you find the an official QPWS30.61-21-18-7-12 for the 1965-T RETLA?
I should have backed mine up as soon as I got the phone... oops.
i can't back mine up now because its running LineageOS, but if I want to return to stock i'd have to use an older image.
Lolinet maintainer on Telegram say "motorola,official,lake... lake is out of date, and you can't get any future update"...
Do you have the same device, radio, carrier as mine? Might you have a good stock backup?
<bugle>
It's here:

The name is a bit off, you want this file:
XT1965-2_LAKE_RETLA_10_QPWS30.61-21-18-7-12_subsidy-DEFAULT_regulatory-DEFAULT_CFC.xml.zip

bibikalka

May 14, 2015
I'm nervous about the xt1965-2... AT&T only supports the 1965-T. So you think its just a typo?
Yeah, it is a typo! I installed it, and got GPS issues, LOL, just like every other 1965-T out there. I recommend you actually install this one (7-10):
XT1965-T_LAKE_RETLA_10_QPWS30.61-21-18-7-10_subsidy-DEFAULT_regulatory-DEFAULT_CFC.xml.zip

GPS should be fine on this one.

Reactions: aka.bugle

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After going to setting then app& notification then selecting see all app where the 3 dots on top right you selected reset app preferences? But did you go back and give permission to gps apps to use location in app info? Doing those exact steps that Motorola person on phone told me to do worked. Other options they gave me but didn't help but might help you is * restart phone..* turn on and off location and airplane mode..* doing a network reset or lastly which I hated was doing factory reset. I have AT&T. I say call Motorola customer service. They can give you options.
    Here is the number