Question Y700 connected using USB-C to an external display that have PD functionnality

Search This thread

Phoenix2000

Aug 9, 2006
Brussels
Hi there.

So i tried to connect my Y700 to my Dell U4320Q to see how the PC mode will look like. All i got is a replica of the display on my big screen, and then it kinda turned off.
Now, it won't turn on again... Pressing the Power button for a very long time doesn't make it turn on again. No reaction at all, not even a vibration.
I maybe fried it with the Power Delivery being too strong?
I plugged the original charger, with an USB power meter, and it did charge with a decent speed. So the power section seems to be alive still.

Not sure what happened, but it's scary. Brand new expensive tablet and dead already just by plugging an external display on the USB C port?

Anyone knows how to eventually factory reset it? Or enter recovery mode?

Phoenix2000

Aug 9, 2006
Brussels
i'm updating my own thread with an own answer. ;)
So as said before, i plugged my Y700 to my Dell U4320Q using USB-C and this has killed the tablet.
Actually, it did not kill it, but it hanged in such a way that it was impossible to reboot it. Even long press on Power button did not help.

So i hoped that it indeed just hanged (it was still responding to adb commands, but since USB debug was not active, i couldn't do anything with it, not even an adb reboot), so i decided to try to deplete the battery by connecting it to another USB-C display that doesn't have battery or power supply (taking power only from the connected device).
This indeed depleted the battery in two days. Then when i tried to turn it on with power button, it did vibrate and show battery empty logo on screen! First sign of life since i connected to my main display.

So i just charged the battery again, and boom, tablet is back to life!

So happy now :cool: