Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

SilverZero

May 18, 2010
UPDATE - AUGUST 26, 8.38am: It is official. The Unrevoked team has developed a root method for the Evo 2.2 OTA. The basic process is a downgrade to 2.1, then using Unrevoked 3 + Unrevoked Forever and a new PC36IMG along the way to get full root access. Here is the guide. I guess this thread is now dead. It's a good thing. :)

*** Everything below this line is now outdated! ***

This question is asked several times every day here. This is the answer: If you have a new Evo with Froyo (Android 2.2) or have accepted the OTA update to Froyo, there is currently NO KNOWN WAY to gain root access. You cannot root until somebody finds an exploit in the new system.

There is also no known way to downgrade from 2.2 to 2.1 and then root that either.

The new release of Unrevoked Forever will NOT root an unrooted 2.2 system. It is instead a safeguard against losing root in the future even after OTA updates.

If you are a 2.1 user and would like to upgrade, you must root your 2.1 system FIRST, then flash a ROOTED ROM. If you flash an unrooted 2.2 ROM, you will not be able to root it even if you were previously rooted until somebody finds a way to root 2.2

Bottom line: If you have stock 2.2, you are stuck until further notice. Period.

This is true for the "leaked" .3 release and the "final" .6 release.

The "Easy Root" app by Unstable Apps has been reported to NOT work on the Evo.

I will change this post the minute a 2.2 root method is discovered.

CLARIFICATION: In light of a recent dialogue between myself and toastcfh (our forum mod whose work I highly respect) I want to make it clear that there may someday soon be a way to root 2.2, but nobody has reported that they have made any progress on this yet. There are talented developers looking for a hole in the system, and I have every confidence that something will emerge in the near future. I also encourage anybody who thinks they can make headway on this front to TRY! I do NOT want anybody to think that it cannot be done. I just want to make it clear that we do not know of a way to do it yet. I want this to happen as well. Please don't be discouraged! :)

Last edited:

SilverZero

May 18, 2010
If you are reading this, please bump it until it's a sticky topic. :)

This thread is now a sticky courtesy of our forum mod.

Last edited:

pscalett

Aug 4, 2010
Bump even though I did ask the question myself. I've only been here a few days and I've already seen quite a few threads about it.

SilverZero

May 18, 2010
Just caught another one, first post by a new user asking about how to root and/or downgrade his 2.2 RUU.

I feel like I'm holding the vaccine and nobody's taking it.

sprink0281

Jun 22, 2010
sw burbs of chicago
You know what really aggravates me about this site..... the sheer number of idiots!..this thread is an example...SilverZero made a great post to sticky explaining he will take time to post as soon as a root is available. Within 45 mins somebody feels the need to post a stupid ass question that was clearly explained by the OP in the first freakn post, which was the reason for this thread. Thanks SilverZero for wanting to keep is up to date and trying to keep the evo threads a little less cluttered regarding the possibility of a root. Unfortunately we know that these idiots are going to continue not reading and just posting same **** over and over and over! Give it a rest morons! This is a great site I just wish we could weed out the idiots!

Littlefield

Apr 26, 2008
Hey guys, I have an OTA Froyo 2.2, how do i root my phone?

Edit 1: Jokes aside, appreciate you trying to root us 2.2 boys; wish I was capable.

krillik08

Feb 21, 2009

Attachments

• ImageUploadByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadByTapatalk.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 259
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures