Yet another "Improve your SGS2 sound quality" thread. Just try it once already!

Search This thread

kalpik

Recognized Contributor
May 19, 2010
Amsterdam
www.kalpik.com

Hey guys! I was very VERY disappointed with the audio quality on SGS2 coming from a Voodoo'd SGS1! Been fiddling a lot with different stuff (tried all the other threads on XDA), but could not get myself to like the sound.

Now I think I've created something *almost* perfect. And thought I'd share here. This method required the free Equalizer app from the Market and the paid Poweramp app (brilliant player, worth every penny, trust me). To *me*, this sounds *very* similar too SGS1 on Voodoo! Maybe not there in terms of loudness or clarity, but yeah, now I can listen to music on my phone without puking.

So here goes!

1. Install Equalizer, press the power button on top right, and enable *just* the Equalizer bit.
2. Press the custom button on the bottom right, and set it up according to this screenshot:

ISe25.png

3. Open Poweramp, go to the EQ tab, set up Tone, Equalizer, and Preamp according to the screenshots below:

VZZpo.png

1AqwU.png

Note: You may need to adjust the Poweramp EQ and Preamp a bit according to your taste and headphone. Just for reference, my earphones are Nuforce NE6.

Let me know if this helps!

Disclaimer: This is in no way associated with supercurio's Voodoo, nor is it endorsed by him!

Last edited:

supercurio

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
May 31, 2010
Chambéry
spectrastudy.com
A few explanations about it.

This is basically an EQ, between an V and a "Smiley Face Curve" (Wikipedia article)

As you show it there are high gains so the the response is very far from flat in the end.
I guess its both suits your preference and acts as a correction for the very particular headphones you use.

As a result the benefit you experience for your own usage cannot be reproduced on other.
Many consumer headphone exaggerate high and lows already, so increasing once again high and low frequencies will produce a very fatiguing sound, lacking musicality.

I think its important to seperate frequency corrections (like this combination of graphic equalizers) and sound quality improvements.
EQ can help get a more balanced sound from flawed headphones (can also do the exact opposite) but that's very different form what's done in Voodoo sound that actually reduces distortions levels, improves clarity by configuring the hardware with more accuracy, reducing hiss by using optimal amp levels etc.

Cool if it helps your usage, however it might "degrade" the end result as much as it helps, depending on the headphones used.
Unfortunately sharing this settings will be useful listeners using the exact same headphones as yours, so I would suggest you to specify which they are.

Last edited:

mkrmec

Jul 4, 2010
Ljubljana
It's a phone ... And the damn audio quality is great compared to Nexus One... We dont expect audiophiles to listen to music through headphones.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

awesome-member

Dec 30, 2010
kent uk
Like supercurio said this Is not improving sq it's just colouring the sound. This EQ may work for chart music but try listening to blues or classical the recessed mid will make the music unworthy of listening. The goal is to make sound as neutral (flat) as possible(how the artist intended) not colouring it. Please don't think SQ of sgs2 is utter garbage. It's just not as good as sgs.but for most of us its perfectly fine.

KLoNe1

Jun 28, 2010
Brisbane
And who cares if this doesn't 'improve SQ' like SuperCurio is saying? If Supercurio isn't keen on producing Voodoo Sound for SGS2, then sound colouring is the best we get right now...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium App

KLoNe1

Jun 28, 2010
Brisbane
PS. Ant chance to link to the free EQ app? I can't find it on Market or AppBrain. Cheers.

jody2k

Jun 3, 2011
Colouring the sound or not see me care, best sound i've ever heard on phone mp3 music :)

Pulling down the pre-amp and turning up the bass and mid freq gave me a warm sound (does remind me at tube amp sounds!)
and i'm also a musician, I listen/play more harder genres, this program really rocks with my current headset

Last edited:
Reactions: varunkumars

kalpik

Recognized Contributor
May 19, 2010
Amsterdam
www.kalpik.com

This is basically an EQ, between an V and a "Smiley Face Curve" (Wikipedia article)

As you show it there are high gains so the the response is very far from flat in the end.
I guess its both suits your preference and acts as a correction for the very particular headphones you use.

As a result the benefit you experience for your own usage cannot be reproduced on other.
Many consumer headphone exaggerate high and lows already, so increasing once again high and low frequencies will produce a very fatiguing sound, lacking musicality.

I think its important to seperate frequency corrections (like this combination of graphic equalizers) and sound quality improvements.
EQ can help get a more balanced sound from flawed headphones (can also do the exact opposite) but that's very different form what's done in Voodoo sound that actually reduces distortions levels, improves clarity by configuring the hardware with more accuracy, reducing hiss by using optimal amp levels etc.

Cool if it helps your usage, however it might "degrade" the end result as much as it helps, depending on the headphones used.
Unfortunately sharing this settings will be useful listeners using the exact same headphones as yours, so I would suggest you to specify which they are.

Ah the man himself :)

You are absolutely correct about everything. Actually I was using this type of curve even with Voodoo, so yes, like I said in the first post (You may need to adjust the Poweramp EQ and Preamp a bit according to your taste and headphone.), EQ curves are very personal! Someone might not like the same curve even on the same set of earphones that I own (Nuforce NE6)!

Let me be clear to everyone, this is NOT a "Voodoo" solution. But for me, the sound signature is now very close to how I had Voodoo set up on SGS1. Of course its lacking the loudness and clarity, but at least I don't go in a corner and cry when I listen to music on my SGS2 :p

Most had just settled with the SQ on their SGS2, this thread is just an attempt to get people playing with the EQ, and at least trying to get the sound they deserve from such an expensive handset! No harm done if it doesn't work :)

Hope everyone understands! :)

Also, let me remove the Voodoo reference from the thread title, so as to avoid any confusion!

Last edited:

kalpik

Recognized Contributor
May 19, 2010
Amsterdam
www.kalpik.com
So, what would be the case with default sgsii headphones?

Swyped from my Galaxy S II using Tapatalk
Try with these settings, and then play around with Poweramp EQ if you don't like :)
Like supercurio said this Is not improving sq it's just colouring the sound. This EQ may work for chart music but try listening to blues or classical the recessed mid will make the music unworthy of listening. The goal is to make sound as neutral (flat) as possible(how the artist intended) not colouring it. Please don't think SQ of sgs2 is utter garbage. It's just not as good as sgs.but for most of us its perfectly fine.

True, if you're not disappointed with the SQ of SGS, this thread is not for you! I understand its a "desperate attempt", but what the hell, it works for me! Maybe it works for you too, maybe it doesn't! No harm done if it doesn't :)
PS. Ant chance to link to the free EQ app? I can't find it on Market or AppBrain. Cheers.

Here you go: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.smartandroidapps.equalizer

Also added the link to first post.

Reactions: KLoNe1

nickporwal

May 6, 2010
Nice Settings kalpik.I too find the sound quality of SGS2 lower than SGS. I still sometimes use my SGS to listen songs. :)..... As Supercurio said its not the perfect solution bt its what we have right now. Something is better than nothing. I am not an expert just a layman.

kalpik

Recognized Contributor
May 19, 2010
Amsterdam
www.kalpik.com
Nice Settings kalpik.I too find the sound quality of SGS2 lower than SGS. I still sometimes use my SGS to listen songs. :)..... As Supercurio said its not the perfect solution bt its what we have right now. Something is better than nothing. I am not an expert just a layman.
Same here buddy! Not an expert, just trying to share what I discovered :) Supercurio is the real pro :)

Reactions: p2atik

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hey guys! I was very VERY disappointed with the audio quality on SGS2 coming from a Voodoo'd SGS1! Been fiddling a lot with different stuff (tried all the other threads on XDA), but could not get myself to like the sound.

Now I think I've created something *almost* perfect. And thought I'd share here. This method required the free Equalizer app from the Market and the paid Poweramp app (brilliant player, worth every penny, trust me). To *me*, this sounds *very* similar too SGS1 on Voodoo! Maybe not there in terms of loudness or clarity, but yeah, now I can listen to music on my phone without puking.

So here goes!

1. Install Equalizer, press the power button on top right, and enable *just* the Equalizer bit.
    2. Press the custom button on the bottom right, and set it up according to this screenshot:

ISe25.png

3. Open Poweramp, go to the EQ tab, set up Tone, Equalizer, and Preamp according to the screenshots below:

VZZpo.png

1AqwU.png

Note: You may need to adjust the Poweramp EQ and Preamp a bit according to your taste and headphone. Just for reference, my earphones are Nuforce NE6.

Let me know if this helps!

Disclaimer: This is in no way associated with supercurio's Voodoo, nor is it endorsed by him!

So, what would be the case with default sgsii headphones?

My girlfriend found them useful as a makeshift hair tie...

Sent from my GT-I9100
    I must say Kalpik I was not impressed with the SGSII for audio. Maybe I will try this out :)
    Desperate ex-i9000 user needs HUGS!

Hello, everyone! :)

I got my Galaxy SII last month as an unexpected present, so it's been a while now. I have to say I'm really happy about the responsiveness of this phone, but as an ex-i9000 user, I miss the WM8994 as I've lost a son.

Seriously, guys. I don't think of myself as an audiophile (not a hardcore one, at least), I just love music and care a lot about quality. When I had a Galaxy S with Voodoo Sound (I stopped being an atheist just to believe in supercurio) I just needed to wear my headphones (Sennheiser HD 407, cheap but pretty good) to be brought right into the music.

I can understand why Samsung decided to "downgrade" the camera on the Galaxy Nexus to 5 Megapixels (a good camera is not all about megapixels) but, according to me, a good smartphone is (almost) all about music! :mad:

I remember plugging my i9000 in my car and people saying they could listen to sounds they couldn't listen otherwise; I remember them saying my car had good speakers as I remember they face right after I replied with "It's not the speakers, it's my phone".

I don't know why I'm sharing this with you, I'm just very frustrated because of this choice from Samsung to save some bucks while being aware (because they were) that the Yamaha chipset is infinite times worse than the Wolfson chipset.

Right after unboxing it, I immediately bought Voodoo LOUDER that really came like manna from heaven. If you still haven't bought it, DO IT. For just 50 cents you can get supercurio cast some spells on this device. He's also given me an awesome support (but I think he did just because he thought my name was a feminine one... lol, I'm joking! I still can't thank you enough, supercurio! :))

I also tuned my DSP Manager a little bit, but you know what? I'm still crying in a corner! :( Music is just... flat. And dirty. It's like it's refraining from producing good sound, as it was afraid.

Please, don't think I'm mad: I know this device can no way be comparable to the Galaxy S with Voodoo Sound, but I heard you talking about external amps, so it's the closest solution, for me.

I kindly need someone of you who has/had an i9000 with Voodoo Sound and bought an external amp to tell me which one is the best choice for getting as close as possibile to the Wolfson standards.

I was thinking about the FiiO E11, what do you think about it? Would you recommend something else?

THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE AND YOUR UNDERSTANDING!